PDA

View Full Version : Things I did not know

nrgcruizer
12-18-2012, 4:24 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/12/18/obama-carney-newtown-assault-weapons-ban/1777793/

I didn't know hand guards are now barrel shrouds...I thought the shroud was that thing you put over your shoulder. I didn't know a bayonet lug is now a bayonet rod. hmmmm....Am I missing something???? Or the people that wants a new ban actually know what they're banning?

hermosabeach
12-18-2012, 4:50 PM
Yes- it is funny when a NOOb uses the wrong terminology

My uncle, WWII navy vet, life long gun owner, could not name the parts on an AR 15

My suggestion, look for old articles from the 89 ban and the 94 ban.

Educate yourself how to speak to your circle of influence and the uneducated media types in terms they understand.

There is a TED talk where an M16 is brought onto stage by an officer as part of the presentation. The room grew silent- the room grew tense

These rifles have a weird emotional impact on most people.
Like a cobra or rattlesnake...

Educate those around you while avoiding any type of pissing match

Tripper
12-18-2012, 5:02 PM
Considering the m16 didn't come around till early-mid 60's, I wouldn't really expect my WWII vet grandfather to be able to identify AR parts

Kolo589
12-18-2012, 7:41 PM
Yes- it is funny when a NOOb uses the wrong terminology

My uncle, WWII navy vet, life long gun owner, could not name the parts on an AR 15

My suggestion, look for old articles from the 89 ban and the 94 ban.

Educate yourself how to speak to your circle of influence and the uneducated media types in terms they understand.

There is a TED talk where an M16 is brought onto stage by an officer as part of the presentation. The room grew silent- the room grew tense

These rifles have a weird emotional impact on most people.
Like a cobra or rattlesnake...

Educate those around you while avoiding any type of pissing match

Was this the TED talk you were referring to?

Peter van Uhm: Why I chose a gun. (http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_van_uhm_why_i_chose_a_gun.html)

bobgengeskahn
12-18-2012, 7:52 PM
Yeah, the most painful part for me the last few days has been watching the news and having to hear all of the improper terminology, even from the pro 2A camps. Especially when there is talk of "ammunition capacity" restrictions. I know a lot of people poo poo the mag v. clip argument, but when things are going south like they are now, it can be a very slippery slope when politicians start throwing random terms into laws just because they sound scary; as we all know.

I don't mind an educated debate on the topic at any level, but it would help if everyone was on the same page first :p