PDA

View Full Version : Camp Pendleton MCX has a complete ban on PPT

The Soup Nazi
12-18-2012, 3:18 PM
This afternoon, I took a couple of staff NCOs to take a look at pistols and help them make their first gun purchases. Curious, I asked the lady working the counter what their hours were for performing PPTs. She said that they only processed dealer-to-customer transactions. I stated that they as condition of their FFL, they were required to process PPTs (they sold handguns so they couldn't have played that angle), but they told me that their "store policy" doesn't allow them to conduct PPTs. Last time I checked, being on military property doesn't make them exempt from California law (they are still bound by the safe handgun roster, 10 day wait, 1 in 30 rule). Is there anything that can be done to force this FFL to compliance to accomodate gun owners on base?

xpbprox
12-18-2012, 3:20 PM
Interesting

Guntech
12-18-2012, 3:28 PM
Big 5 has an FFL, but I don't think they will do PPTs. Plus they **** up the paperwork when you buy from them and you end up waiting 22 days. Never heard of an actual gun shop not doing PPTs, but I could see why they wouldn't here in CA as a lot won't do out of state transfers any longer. I hear that the good ole state now collects tax on transfers for guns that you buy out of state and has come after a lot of dealers for this. So now it's hard to find one that does

stix213
12-18-2012, 3:52 PM
This afternoon, I took a couple of staff NCOs to take a look at pistols and help them make their first gun purchases. Curious, I asked the lady working the counter what their hours were for performing PPTs. She said that they only processed dealer-to-customer transactions. I stated that they as condition of their FFL, they were required to process PPTs (they sold handguns so they couldn't have played that angle), but they told me that their "store policy" doesn't allow them to conduct PPTs. Last time I checked, being on military property doesn't make them exempt from California law (they are still bound by the safe handgun roster, 10 day wait, 1 in 30 rule). Is there anything that can be done to force this FFL to compliance to accomodate gun owners on base?

Report them to the DOJ. I believe it is actually a misdemeanor to refuse to do all PPTs.

Big 5 has an FFL, but I don't think they will do PPTs. Plus they **** up the paperwork when you buy from them and you end up waiting 22 days. Never heard of an actual gun shop not doing PPTs, but I could see why they wouldn't here in CA as a lot won't do out of state transfers any longer. I hear that the good ole state now collects tax on transfers for guns that you buy out of state and has come after a lot of dealers for this. So now it's hard to find one that does

Big 5 does PPTs, but since they don't sell any handguns they don't have to PPT any of those either. They will PPT long guns.

furyous68
12-18-2012, 3:54 PM

Nope... check your facts. I PPT'd a shotgun last year @ Big 5. They have (at least the 2 in my area) large signs laying out the fees & process. I don't know if they'll do handguns, they don't sell them & I haven't asked.

Nevermind.. stix213 beat me too it :D

Mr.1904
12-18-2012, 4:16 PM
They sell guns at Pendleton??

I work up there. Do you have to be active military? Or just have a military i.d?

The Soup Nazi
12-18-2012, 4:22 PM
Depending on how much money MCCS wants to make (depending on the exchange you go to they could ask to see military ID before selling something to you), you probably could do it with California ID and proof of residency since they take that from service members from California. The only reason I'm pushing this issue is that I feel that a government organization should be subject to the same regulations that civilian owned FFLs fall under. The MCX is run by Marine Corps Community Services, so they should put their money where their mouth is and service Marines and Sailors in that respect. They already have an advantage with sales tax exemption as is.

Clownpuncher
12-18-2012, 4:55 PM
Do you really think the Philippine mafia could do a PPT properly? I wouldn't trust them doing mine.

roll2li
12-18-2012, 5:11 PM
Do you really think the Philippine mafia could do a PPT properly? I wouldn't trust them doing mine.

If the PM made inroads with CalDOJ....well some transfers would go very different :smilielol5:

Artema
12-18-2012, 5:30 PM
The BX (same kind of thing as MCX) on Vandenberg up north said the same thing. I should go back and ask them about PPT and tell them that they're committing a misdemeanor to see what they say, lol.