PDA

View Full Version : Ban on 7.62x39 on the horizon ?

EastBayRidge
08-12-2007, 8:35 AM
There's not much in the way of specifics, but have a look-see at what's on the minds of our UN peacekeeper friends... (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htun/articles/20070812.aspx) you know, the ones smuggling gold in the Congo, sexually abusing children in Cambodia and west Africa, and keeping the peace (albeit of the grave) in such places as Srebrenica...

The best part is the realization that production will simply shift underground. Or maybe Dillon and Lee will start getting large orders for reloading presses from strange corners of the Third World... though whether from warlords or some corrupt UN functionary is an open question... :eek:

caduckgunner
08-12-2007, 8:39 AM
Ya I'm sure that will happen:rolleyes: If there is a market for the ammo, someone WILL produce it.

Piper
08-12-2007, 8:43 AM
Yeah, that's it, we'll ban bullets and they will never get another gun to replace that one. Oh well, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Bizcuits
08-12-2007, 9:07 AM
All that will do is make a market for other countries... Iran, China, North Korea, and dozens others...

If I was Iran I'd be praying for something like this... Once the ban came into effect I'd start mass producing 7.62x39 and selling it to anyone who wanted it. Take about a market, when your the only supplier.

LECTRIKHED
08-12-2007, 11:27 AM
I have to say that it the most retarded article I have ever read. That ammo can be made anywhere. Do they really think that China, Russia, Eastern Europe, Iran, Iraq, or any other country care what the UN says. I saw a video of a guy in Pakistan who had his tongue cut out. He spent all day making 7.62 x 39 by hand.

jdberger
08-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Here's a nice quote from the article:

Where before, tribal or warlord warfare was a lot of guys with spears, knives, machetes and bows, now they had automatic weapons. The old style warfare produced a low body count, because the weapons at hand were not all that effective, and it took a lot of courage to get up close and personal with that stuff.

Apparently he never heard of Rwanda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide).

This genocide was mostly carried out by two extremist Hutu militia groups, the Interahamwe and the Impuzamugambi, during about 100 days from April 6 through mid-July, 1994. At least 500,000 Tutsis and thousands of moderate Hutus died in the genocide.[1] Some estimates put the death toll between 800,000 and 1,000,000.[2][3]
Some militia members were able to acquire AK-47 assault rifles by completing requisition forms. Other weapons such as grenades required no paperwork and were widely distributed. Many members of the Interahamwe and Impuzamugambi were armed only with machetes, but these were some of the most effective killers.

http://www.historywiz.com/images/africa/rwanda-bones-bbc.jpghttp://www.interet-general.info/IMG/Rwanda-Genocide-1994-3.jpg

bwiese
08-12-2007, 3:29 PM
Woohoo, I love the author's assertion that such ammo has a shelf life.

When I look at even Wolf "sporting" 7.62x39 ammo and see sealed necks and primers, I know that stuff will have a long shelf life. Would accuracy be degraded if going thru lotsa temperature cycles? Yes, perhaps - but you'd never know that out of an AK47 (or Mini14, for that matter).

Well-manufactured ammo in sealed packs still works decades or even half-centuries (or more!) later. Lotsa 8mm mauser ammo still floating about, working fine, from WWII era.

Wanna bet that Radway Green or Portuguese 308 in sealed packs still works fine 50 or 60 years from now?

Whatta friggin' idiot.

762cavalier
08-12-2007, 3:42 PM
Or his assertion that poor people don't need 7.62x39 ammo to defend themselves from tyranny or oppressive warlords(like Somalia):rolleyes:

jumbopanda
08-12-2007, 4:18 PM

When I look at even Wolf "sporting" 7.62x39 ammo and see sealed necks and primers, I know that stuff will have a long shelf life. Would accuracy be degraded if going thru lotsa temperature cycles? Yes, perhaps - but you'd never know that out of an AK47 (or Mini14, for that matter).

Well-manufactured ammo in sealed packs still works decades or even half-centuries (or more!) later. Lotsa 8mm mauser ammo still floating about, working fine, from WWII era.

Wanna bet that Radway Green or Portuguese 308 in sealed packs still works fine 50 or 60 years from now?

Whatta friggin' idiot.

Yup. My 50+ year old 7.62x54r ammo spews fireballs just fine.

CCWFacts
08-12-2007, 5:04 PM
If I was Iran I'd be praying for something like this... Once the ban came into effect I'd start mass producing 7.62x39 and selling it to anyone who wanted it. Take about a market, when your the only supplier.

There must be at least fifty countries with industrial-scale from-scratch ammo manufacturing capabilities, including North Korea, Iran, Syria, Libya, Pakistan, China and plenty of others who often ignore international rules. It's probably possible to set up a small factory (workshop) for about $1mil which would pay for itself with shipments of about 10,000 cases, ie, a few containers.

Ubergeek
08-12-2007, 5:24 PM
Great idea!

All they need now is some f***face 'celebrity' to go take up their cause, and they're set.

So how exactly do they hope to specify a legally binding definition for this cartridge? OAL? Velocity? Ability to be fired from an AK rifle? I can't think of any means that'll hold up in any reasonable court of law.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-12-2007, 5:41 PM
Retarded author. Ammunition lasts a very long while.

jdberger
08-12-2007, 6:51 PM
They don't
They won't
and who cares.

The UN is irrelevant - has been for about 50 years. Sure, they do some neat things - but who really gives a crap what they say?

No whaling! (Japan and Finland give the big Finger)
No nuclear testing! France blows up another South Pacific island.
No landmines! Watch where you step in Bosnia, Africa and Central Asia.
Israel is a country! Someone tell the Arabs.
Israel is a BAD country! Someone might want to enlighten the Israelis.
The Iraq war is illegal! Screw you! Tell John Bolton!
No guns in Brazil! Stick your blue helmets....!
Peacekeepers in the Congo! Hide your women!
Peacekeepers in Srebrenica! Grab your shovels!

The UN has been one of the more ineffective world bodies - but at least Kofi Annan can now afford a house in Malibu.

08-12-2007, 7:16 PM
Retarded author. Ammunition lasts a very long while.

Not in the possession of the average Calgunner :D

MRpink
11-19-2009, 3:20 AM
Bump, new question.

I'm trying to decide between a Saiga 7.62x39 or .223, ideally I would like to go with 7.62x39 but do you guys think there's going to be a ban for military ammo here in the states?

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-19-2009, 3:35 AM
Bump, new question.

I'm trying to decide between a Saiga 7.62x39 or .223, ideally I would like to go with 7.62x39 but do you guys think there's going to be a ban for military ammo here in the states?

Think about what you just said. If there was a ban on military ammunition it really wouldn't matter whether or not you got a 7.62x39 or a .223 Saiga.

MRpink
11-19-2009, 3:51 AM
whoops, you're right. i was reading something in another thread and got confused.

Sgt Raven
11-19-2009, 7:40 AM

Whatta friggin' idiot.

It was reported a while back that we're finally using up our stock piles of WW2 .50 cal MG ammo.

jdberger
11-19-2009, 7:52 AM
Bump, new question.

no.

HkFan416
11-19-2009, 7:53 AM
ban on 7.62x39, your joking right?

JDoe
11-19-2009, 8:58 AM
Bump, new question.

Which military uses .223? :confused:

barrym66
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
There's not much in the way of specifics, but have a look-see at what's on the minds of our UN peacekeeper friends... (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htun/articles/20070812.aspx) you know, the ones smuggling gold in the Congo, sexually abusing children in Cambodia and west Africa, and keeping the peace (albeit of the grave) in such places as Srebrenica...

Wow, the author of that article/blog writes like a sixth grader....similar logic and thought processes, too. Never happen....

Barry

Super Spy
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
If they ban 7.62 x 39 all that means is it will get more expensive and if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mexican drug cartel to get into ammo manufacturing.....

Full Clip
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
If they ban 7.62 x 39 all that means is it will get more expensive and if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mexican drug cartel to get into ammo manufacturing.....

Bingo.
Huge black market. Just like the one that will soon arise in California due to recent legislation...

chuckdc
11-19-2009, 6:30 PM
If ammo is kept properly, it can last even longer than has been stated on here. I had the chance to test-fire some truly OLD ammo. British .303 from pre-WW-Uno. It still fired just fine, too. Test firearm was a SMLE of WWI or so vintage. I took apart a couple rounds of the stuff for the exemplar collection, and it was loaded with a propellant that looked like uncooked spaghetti noodles.. yes, that would be Cordite!.

As the package says.. store in a cool, dark place.

Gio
11-19-2009, 6:33 PM
Bingo.
Huge black market. Just like the one that will soon arise in California due to recent legislation...

Nailed it on the head ;)

-Gio

tombinghamthegreat
11-19-2009, 7:07 PM

Who says they already don't manufacture ammo.

demnogis
11-19-2009, 7:09 PM
Now all we need is to make an AR OLL that can handle 7.62x54r :D

Yup. My 50+ year old 7.62x54r ammo spews fireballs just fine.

Seesm
11-19-2009, 7:35 PM
I dig oldies... (NEcrotic threads) :)

SKSer
11-19-2009, 7:45 PM
Wow, the author of that article/blog writes like a sixth grader....similar logic and thought processes, too. Never happen....

Barry

+100

I thought I was the only one who caught this, it realistically sounds like a 15 year old writing a 10th grade paper on how to save the world, just after he smoked a dime bag.

Amacias805
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
last time i checked AKs also came in 5.45....

223 is in high supply, and there are still many wwII surplus stuff around

blackrifle242
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
That was one of the worst written articles i have ever read. Look at the pro gun writings and then the anti's. It seems like atleast we put a little thought and allot of fact in our articles. Anti's just pull s!#t out of there as# and throw it on paper and call it a solution.

OHOD
11-20-2009, 7:49 AM
They don't
They won't
and who cares.

The UN is irrelevant - has been for about 50 years. Sure, they do some neat things - but who really gives a crap what they say?

No whaling! (Japan and Finland give the big Finger)
No nuclear testing! France blows up another South Pacific island.
No landmines! Watch where you step in Bosnia, Africa and Central Asia.
Israel is a country! Someone tell the Arabs.
Israel is a BAD country! Someone might want to enlighten the Israelis.
The Iraq war is illegal! Screw you! Tell John Bolton!
No guns in Brazil! Stick your blue helmets....!
Peacekeepers in the Congo! Hide your women!
Peacekeepers in Srebrenica! Grab your shovels!

The UN has been one of the more ineffective world bodies - but at least Kofi Annan can now afford a house in Malibu.

+1
Well said.
I can't stand the UN.