PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming Support for Anti-Gun Control Outside of The Media?

mikestesting
12-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm sure a lot of you have Facebook accounts, maybe some don't, but a lot of you probably do.

Since the shooting, there have been a LOT of personal posts from my Facebook friends supporting the right to own and bear arms, with just about everyone stating that gun control is not the solution. I think I've only seen one pro-gun control post. I have several hundred facebook friends, with over half of them not being people that I regularly hang out with. I know that most pro-2Aers would tend to be friends with other pro-2Aers, so I would think most of my real-life friends would be pro-2A. But a lot of my Facebook friends are co-workers, old classmates, friends of friends, etc. I may not have anything in common with a lot of them except for the simple fact that I know them through school, work, other friends etc.

All of these pro-gun Facebooks posts leads me to believe that outside of the media, everyday people really do believe the notion that gun control really isn't the solution.

Are we winning? It's hard to know sometimes because all I read on the news is anti-gun propaganda FUD.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I've been somewhat quiet about it but the way I look at it is that if they're going to politicize the death of this children, that's on them. Not 1 entire day had gone by, before they started beating the "gun ban" drum. Remember that when someone calls you "insensitive" for arguing our side of the issue.;)

mikestesting
12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd like to also add that all of the responses that people write below pro-2A posts are also overwhelmingly pro-2A too. I don't see anyone advocating gun control

IVC
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Because today's media cannot silence our side, people are exposed to much more arguments than they would have been in the past. Those in the middle get to make a much better decision based on both sides of the discussion.

Intimid8tor
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
That's probably one of the things that angers me most. The drive to ban weapons or limit the 2A is largely coming from the government and the media. Why would that government and the media (govs propaganda tool) want to ban firearms? There you go!

I grew up in a pretty liberal area and have a couple hundred facebook friends. 1 has been a proponent of bans and limitations. One has commented on my thread which caused a long discussion and her thinking a bit though I didn't turn her. That's it.

Look at the petititions on WH.gov. They don't mean anything, but they can still give an idea, just like polls. Yes, it is about who screams the loudest. My point is that the citizens are not screaming for gun control. Just the politicians, media and Bob Costas.

Intimid8tor
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
That's probably one of the things that angers me most. The drive to ban weapons or limit the 2A is largely coming from the government and the media. Why would that government and the media (govs propaganda tool) want to ban firearms? There you go!

I grew up in a pretty liberal area and have a couple hundred facebook friends. 1 has been a proponent of bans and limitations. One has commented on my thread which caused a long discussion and her thinking a bit though I didn't turn her. That's it.

Look at the petititions on WH.gov. They don't mean anything, but they can still give an idea, just like polls. Yes, it is about who screams the loudest. My point is that the citizens are not screaming for gun control. Just the politicians, media and Bob Costas.

Freq18Hz
12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
OP: I have had the opposite experience. I am shocked by the amount of emotional anti constitutional posts I have seen on Facebook. Even things that go as far as to stay that we should sterilize people that can't produce mentally fit children etc.

-Freq

Rangem4
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I did the one thing I thought would do the most good.
I donated to the NRA.
They have our fight ahead and they always do a great job.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
I did the one thing I thought would do the most good.
I donated to the NRA.
They have our fight ahead and they always do a great job.

Don't forget the CGF!!!

The NRA is going to have their hands full in dealing with the entire nation, for the next few years. Our gun rights in California are going to suffer greatly.

rickster1269
12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah check this FB friend out
‎"Other countries offer a road map. In Australia in 1996, a mass killing of 35 people galvanized the nation’s conservative prime minister to ban certain rapid-fire long guns. The “national firearms agreement,” as it was known, led to the buyback of 650,000 guns and to tighter rules for licensing and safe storage of those remaining in public hands.

The law did not end gun ownership in Australia. It reduced the number of firearms in private hands by one-fifth, and they were the kinds most likely to be used in mass shootings.

In the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings — but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect. The murder rate with firearms has dropped by more than 40 percent, according to data compiled by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, and the suicide rate with firearms has dropped by more than half."

NY TIMES - Nicholas D. Kristof

***I went shooting clay disk last week for fun in Melbourne, WE CAN RETHINK GUN LAWS back home and still keep our constitutional rights.***

Sincerely, m~
2Like Unfollow Post Share
Jeremy Solis, Tara O'Neill and 37 others like this.

Craig J I love everything u stand for.
Yesterday at 6:16am via mobile Like 1

Rick M Here is what some Countrymen think of that gun confiscation Criminals do not follow laws and confiscations. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f55_1344027042
15 hours ago Like

Michael J. L @ Rick M , while I think you are a great dad and a good friend, this video is complete bull****! Do you realise what I do for a living??? I make propaganda videos for advertising agencies day after day and still, this clip disgust me! I mean... I edit commercial TVCs... Ford, Honda, whatever... and, by the quality of this video shared, it looks like it is probably before the laws actually took place in Australia anyway - ie. before 2000.and after NO SCHOOL CHILDREN WERE SHOT (Australia is just ONE positive example in the world I bring up because I'm currently here. A country more similar to the US than you probably think!!!) With that being said, I'll leave your post up to show how absurd a video like that is!!! I guess, I'll do that to show what kind of rhetoric is out there. And, it is worth mentioning, I question my own morals every day because I am responsible for manipulating people to buy meaningless items, things, which quite possibly is the worst part of our warped society, our fateful case of and for "consumerism"- here or at home. I wish people had the morals to protect the innocent. (As should be the primary goal of any Government - quite potentially the only reason we should need a government!!!) BUT THE FACT REMAINS - if a kid or young adult who ran out of medication or parental guidance goes off, he or she (predominantly middle class American-people) SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS, NOR THE RIGHT TO GO OFF THE HANDLE AND GRAB A SEMI (and/or a fully) AUTOMATIC WEAPON TO KILL OUR CHILDREN ON A WHIM. Does that at all make sense? For ****s sake, you can shoot an intruder in your home with a (2) shot shotgun or a riffle (none of which should be so easily available to buy at the evil empire that is WALMART - just another example of the frivolous convenient mindset we hold.) This is precaution of limiting our obsession with weapons is NO RED HERRING. It's a useful step towards safety. A purchase should also require a stupidly long process of permitting prior. Furthermore, when out and about, I do not want to carry a gun to protect myself in my everyday life!!!! Do you??? AND!!!! If you are worried about what Thomas Jefferson said, pertaining to this case (a historical character I regard as one of the most important human beings I have ever read about - barring the truth of the slaves he held and possibly slept with!!!) I'm sure he didn't anticipate the "tyranny" that he might face when it came to predator drones and unlimited technology against your hand held "glock" with multiple fire rounds, a type of weapon with enough ammo to kill too many school children while the police scrambled in vain, again, to save them - especially after their fortified school defences failed (a school environment that probably you and I have never known, which your lovely grandkid certainly will.) I mean... I don't know what else to say, but to ask other friends to think about what is logical??? Sarah M ... I just had to wear this stupid 2nd amendment argument on my sleeve at a bar argument during a Christmas party because I'm American... fairly embarrassed to defend a constitutional right which is so ambiguous to modern society now... Please de-friend me if you don't understand or discuss some more. But, I can barely wait for a societal conscious ban on random acts of violence (the coward criminal will come nonetheless, and, will fear a single shot protection the same) - a reduction means which is probably the most tangible part of a series of steps, early steps, which I hope will be an awakening to all faiths/none faiths for quality of life in a mixed up world.
about an hour ago Like 1

Rick M Opinions are still a right Mike so I will not be defriending you LOL.I share the same opinions of those people in that video who had their right stripped from the and being a 2A rights supporter and a AMERICAN I am I enjoy my right to bear arms. I am a law abiding, responsible gun owner for 20+ years, so tell me why I should be stripped of my rights? Am I a threat because I own semi automatic weapons Mike? There are no mentally unstable people in my home on ANY medications, my guns are locked up, so tell me why cant I own semi automatic guns? If you can spot the propaganda in this video can you not spot the anti-gun propaganda in the media? Much respect.
22 minutes ago Like

SgtMerc
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
While a good amount of my FB friends are people I served with, I also have a large number of liberal friends from high school or online gaming. I have seen only one post calling for gun legislation, and that was by my democrat cousin who is an attorney. I replied to her post that it was crass to push politics during a time of mourning and her original post immediately disappeared.

Most of the FB posts I have seen have been along the lines of addressing mental health and allowing teachers the option to CCW.

Even my super liberal friends from rhode island and jersey agree that it's not guns. It's crazies.

PEBKAC
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, it depends on who you are friends with.

I know quite a few liberals so I've seen more calls for ~something~ legislative in my feed, but I was heartened by how quickly people had comments in them laying down the science.

zod_807
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
My humble take being a small town boy from Indiana is this.... there are plenty of liberal and conservatives (whatever that means when it comes to our Bill of Rights) discussing what, when, how. I think the NRA staying out of the fray at this point is wise. It is that common people that can discuss and talk about this & generally come to the conclusion it is not the "tools" but the people that need to change. Hey proper access and storage to any home is not that big of deal. We already have significant laws in Cali, but as someone else posted now they will try to push another law to cover for a previous failed one. The "tools" are not the issue, they make man more efficient is all, and for that everyone that enjoys the tools they are trying to make suffer. Emotion vs. logic....they should focus on the rootcause.

I don't know, this is just a rambling of a simple man from Indiana living a long way from his home town. I am just going to try to make a small donation to CGF and the NRA and go from there. My logic probably seems heartless and cold to some, it's not meant to be...these events have hurt, but i am not ready to undertake 1 screwed up train of thought to try to prevent 1 or a million others. We have to keep our rights, all of them not just some. It (BoR) was meant to be read as a whole not like a damn salad bar where you select what seems "ok".

DavidJacob
12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Well in the black community, I'm hearing all kinds of talk that "assault" rifles need to be banned as well as some calling the outright ban of all firearms. Which boggles my mind as most either don't know or remember the reason why most of these laws were in place to begin with. The few blacks such as myself who oppose any sort of gun control are pretty much being ostracized.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-18-2012, 2:11 PM
Well in the black community, I'm hearing all kinds of talk that "assault" rifles need to be banned as well as some calling the outright ban of all firearms. Which boggles my mind as most either don't know or remember the reason why most of these laws were in place to begin with. The few blacks such as myself who oppose any sort of gun control are pretty much being ostracized.

Thats insane...

The Black Community, above most others, should be strong advocates for 2A rights. I was also happy to see the creation of "The Pink Pistols"; our Gay 2nd Amendment group. Throughout history, those communities have been victims of attacks at the hands of hate groups. I have a few black co-workers and friends but most of the ones I know are staunch 2A supporters, for those exact reasons.

To help "sell" your perspective, you might want to consider the words/images of 2A champions within the Black community. I'm reminded of the picture of Malcom X protecting his family with a .30 Carbine. Condelezza Rice has a very poignant perspective on 2A rights. Also, perhaps the most important 2A case to date was Otis McDonald v Chicago.

It seems so easy for gun control advocates: "just get rid of the guns! That will solve the problem!!" It hasn't worked, and it's not going to work.

vtabiker
12-18-2012, 2:19 PM
Being from the midwest originally I'd say most of my friends on are the don't touch my rights, or the middle ground of we need to change some things.

It is amazing though the number of people out there who seem to have overnight become firearms and ballistics experts even though they've never even seen a gun in person.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-18-2012, 2:24 PM
It is amazing though the number of people out there who seem to have overnight become firearms and ballistics experts even though they've never even seen a gun in person.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT issue with Liberals making gun laws. They have no idea what to regulate, nor how to regulate it. They don't know one end of a gun, from the other. They are literally "flying blind" but they have to convince the public that they know what they're doing...

...when in reality, they have NO IDEA what they're doing. :facepalm:

AEtrane
12-18-2012, 2:43 PM
I have no doubt that this is being predominately spearheaded by state and federal .gov and the media.

Though this story is only one scenario, it's restored at least some faith I have in our populace:

Just earlier today, not even 3 hours ago, I was sitting in the breakroom at work with a coworker who typically makes her opinions known. The tv (predictably) was droning on about gun control, preventing tragedy through legislation, etc. etc. My coworker speaks up and says "I don't like guns, in fact I hate them, I wish they were never created!"
At this point, I tense up ("here we go again") deciding if I should debate her or remain silent in my disgust. Then, she surprises the heck out of me: "BUT" she said, "the only way we can prevent this is if we ALL carried firearms at ALL times, no laws will ever make us safe!"

All I could do was nod in agreement and smile, noticing that that was the first time I had actually smiled in quite a few days.

No matter what, all hope is not lost.

HogKiller
12-18-2012, 3:08 PM
Just a little food for thought. Unless my calculator was off the numbers speak for themselves. Before the ban on guns in the UK, the 15 year death rate was 8642 For the 15 years AFTER it was 11203. Yep, gun control works so well. Source: http://www.murderuk.com/misc_crime_stats.html

aileron
12-18-2012, 5:32 PM

*sigh* truly... the irony makes me wanna cry.

eljay38
12-19-2012, 1:00 AM
greetings from Oz, my sympathies go out to the people of newtown, but the australian experience got a mention in this thread, just a few comments, do not assume that the 1996 laws were welcomed with open arms by aussie shooters, the pm who forced the laws on the states by threatening to withold funding, is known as "toad" "little rat bastard" and many more names of this ilk, he is universally detested by all shooters i know. the fact that there have been no "massacres" since 1996 is irrelevant, neither has canada or new zealand, who did not confiscate legally owned firearms like john "i hate guns" howard, the reality is that firearm related crime has been tending downward since the 1980's. now we have a plethora of drive by shootings done by drug dealers/crime gangs/bikies and as usual, more calls for bans from the great unwashed and uneducated. you cannot legislate against evil, and some people just are, which is what happened in conn. once again, sorry for the loss.

wjc
12-19-2012, 1:05 AM
OP, get your friends to CGF, SAF, and the NRA.

Convince them, cajole them, entreat them...but get them there!

wjc
12-19-2012, 1:06 AM
greetings from Oz, my sympathies go out to the people of newtown, but the australian experience got a mention in this thread, just a few comments, do not assume that the 1996 laws were welcomed with open arms by aussie shooters, the pm who forced the laws on the states by threatening to withold funding, is known as "toad" "little rat bastard" and many more names of this ilk, he is universally detested by all shooters i know. the fact that there have been no "massacres" since 1996 is irrelevant, neither has canada or new zealand, who did not confiscate legally owned firearms like john "i hate guns" howard, the reality is that firearm related crime has been tending downward since the 1980's. now we have a plethora of drive by shootings done by drug dealers/crime gangs/bikies and as usual, more calls for bans from the great unwashed and uneducated. you cannot legislate against evil, and some people just are, which is what happened in conn. once again, sorry for the loss.

Good on ya!

gobler
12-19-2012, 1:08 AM
I would say from my friends list only a very small amount are on the fence about gun control. I'm talking like maybe 6 out of about 60... the rest are very pro 2A with some being Military and LE. Maybe it's the type of friends I make and keep but even distant family members are pro 2A. Ages ranging from 18 to 60's.. :)

Texas Boy
12-19-2012, 3:00 AM
.....you cannot legislate against evil.....

Thank you sir, that is an excellent 1st post and a sig worthy line. In fact, I think those words are a perfect opening statement in any discussion on "gun control".

Chatterbox
12-19-2012, 3:35 AM
Out of people I've friended on Facebook, 5 have been actively anti-2A, 2 have been pro 2A. Rest have been largely silent.