PDA

View Full Version : Kevin DeLeon Propses New Ammo Restrictions?

Capybara
12-18-2012, 8:38 AM
Oh jeez, what are the chances this will pass? If it does, in fell swoop, the antis will have dealt us a pretty big blow. A $50.00 extortion fee, a background check to buy any ammo and no more Internet ammo sales? A few years ago, I would have laughed this off but today, what are the chances this can become law here?

From the NY Times
"The legislation, being introduced by state Senator Kevin de Leon, a Democrat, would require anyone looking to purchase ammunition for any kind of weapon to undergo a background check and obtain a one-year permit costing $50. The legislation would also ban the sale of ammunition in California by mail, requiring that all transactions be done in person."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/a-rising-chorus-but-not-quite-consensus-on-guns/?hp

uxo2
12-18-2012, 8:43 AM
Man they are coming out of the wood
work..

like termites

Dutch3
12-18-2012, 8:46 AM
Actually, AB 962 did pass and would have done the same thing sans the "permit" requirement. Thankfully, it was struck down in court as being unconstitutionally vague.

You can be sure Deleon will try again.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon,_Ammunition

Capybara
12-18-2012, 8:51 AM
It's going to be an anti-gun free for all for the foreseeable future, this is just the first of many body blows we will have to fend off, especially in this state. At the very least, if this unconstitutional mess somehow passes, I think it will curtail a huge amount of our shooting as hobbyists. As usual, besides an unlawful $50.00 extortion fee to feed the beast, this would make plinking and target shooting much more expensive, much more of a hassle and as usual, would do ZERO to stop tragic mass shootings.

One more thing to penalize law abiding citizens of their rights.

13withinfinity
12-18-2012, 8:54 AM
so how do they plan on enforcing this on private reloaders?

Also, its easy for me to drive to Pahrump and buy to my hearts content.

Chatterbox
12-18-2012, 8:54 AM
Oh jeez, what are the chances this will pass? If it does, in fell swoop, the antis will have dealt us a pretty big blow. A $50.00 extortion fee, a background check to buy any ammo and no more Internet ammo sales? A few years ago, I would have laughed this off but today, what are the chances this can become law here?

Given the Democratic 2/3s majority in CA senate and assembly, I'd say the chances of passing are 100%.

morfeeis
12-18-2012, 8:58 AM
Can these people get any dumber.

Dantedamean
12-18-2012, 9:12 AM
Our laws are about to suck 10X more. Only thing we can hope for is that they will over play their hand.

Carnivore
12-18-2012, 9:20 AM
I need to find another planet to move too. This one is filling up with idiots.

robcoe
12-18-2012, 9:32 AM

Don't challenge the universe, it might decide to take take you up on it.

IVC
12-18-2012, 9:40 AM
Calm down everybody. The "Internet sales" bills have very serious non-2A issues that cannot be wished away only because it's ammunition. They will be struck down on Commerce Clause, much like what happened when NJ (I believe) tried to ban Internet purchases of cigarettes.

The blow to AB 962 through "unconstitutionally vague" was just the fastest way to get the preliminary injunction, but there was a much bigger and much more serious hammer waiting on the sidelines in terms of transportation challenge. Even if DeLeon could fix his problem with definition of ammunition, he is going to face the real interstate commerce problem before this ever gets to 2A.

There are so many layers for such a bill to overcome that this should be the least of our concern right now. Stay vigilant, but don't overreact to far fetched wishful thinking of DeLeon.

IrishPirate
12-18-2012, 9:53 AM
this is their tactic, it's basically a "lather-rinse-repeat" way of thinking: introduce a bill asking for the world and hope the other side is too overwhelmed to shoot it down so it becomes law by pure luck...ride out the lawsuits as long as possible while creating such a whirlwind of false information in the media that people are confused for years afterwards and chose to abstain from buying/using guns...rewrite the bill and start the process over again.

donw
12-18-2012, 9:58 AM

not only can they...but they will...:(

Oceanbob
12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
this is their tactic, it's basically a "lather-rinse-repeat" way of thinking: introduce a bill asking for the world and hope the other side is too overwhelmed to shoot it down so it becomes law by pure luck...ride out the lawsuits as long as possible while creating such a whirlwind of false information in the media that people are confused for years afterwards and chose to abstain from buying/using guns...rewrite the bill and start the process over again.

This^^^^

These actions will only drive record ammo sales....:D (yet again)

Oceanbob
12-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Calm down everybody. The "Internet sales" bills have very serious non-2A issues that cannot be wished away only because it's ammunition. .

While I agree with you I do remember several out of State companies who refused to ship ammo to Kalifornistan. Sure, they were infected with FUD, but it took me several emails (with a copy of the Judges Order) to get them to remove the "No shipping to California" banner down. In fact, some companies still refuse to ship to us. So it won't be easy. ...:cool2:

IVC
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Except the last time we got the preliminary injunction, so we don't care how long it takes courts to sort it out. The madness stops when it becomes obvious we can get a PI. That's our version of "lather-rinse-repeat" :).

SilverTauron
12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Here's the real strategy: by tying ammo purchases to a discretionary issue permit,the antis in CA can deny your rights at will. Sorry, you didn't prove good cause to acquire an ammo permit , so this year you're banned from buying ammo.

Librarian
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM
This one has the virtue of being new.

But, like the DiFi AWB and the Yee AW bill, nothing to talk about until an actual bill is introduced.

January, people.

Give yourselves a Christmas present of "Don't Panic" see the sticky -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=641207 -- and chill. You'll need your energy for next year.