PDA

View Full Version : What C&R 357mag handgun?

BigJ
12-18-2012, 9:36 AM
I'm thinking about consolidating calibers, and I'm interested in using my C&R license to help me do it.

Any suggestions on what 357 is C&R eligible. Got a source to find it?

Thanks!

Mike A
12-18-2012, 9:50 AM
Many Colt model "Three Fifty Sevens," some Colt "Old Model Troopers," and any S&W that doesn't have a model number stamped inside the crane on the frame (so-called "Pre-Model 27s, 19s, and 28s). These guns are seldom for sale in CA partly because people are confused about what can be "imported" to CA, and of course some dealers and individuals just plain won't ship anything here, for reasons I've never comprehended and simply refer to as "prejudice." And of course many single action .357s: Colts, Rugers, Great Westerns, etc, are C&R.

I'd go for a Ruger Blackhawk "3-screw," or an "Old Model Trooper," but that's just me.

BigJ
12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Understood. I will be in the Reno area next month. My plan it to have anything I buy shipped to Timber Outdoors, and then use my C&R to pick them up and bring them home from there.

Any suggestions on where to find good sources for guns like these? GunBroker scares me a little bit...

Mike A
12-18-2012, 4:31 PM
I've had good results with both Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, but I only deal with sellers who have a long and well-documented track record of sales and satisfied customers.

Forgot a couple of wonderful C&R .357s: Colt "New Service" and "Shooting Master," and S&W "Registered Magnums." Unfortunately these all were among the first .357s and are hard to find and very expensive when you find them (or really beat because of their age). But a fellow can dream, and there is still good stuff out there. I just found a 3-screw Ruger "Blackhawk" in perfect shooting shape for a reasonable price right down my street. Had been sitting in a safe (not a gun safe) since about 1958.

My impression is that the South and East are much better places to look for used revolvers, especially DAs, than the West and Southwest. Most of mine I bought in upstate NYS when I lived there from the 1980s until five years ago. At that time the PDs were selling off their revolvers, and lots were floating around.

Mike A
12-18-2012, 4:31 PM
I've had good results with both Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, but I only deal with sellers who have a long and well-documented track record of sales and satisfied customers.

Forgot a couple of wonderful C&R .357s: Colt "New Service" and "Shooting Master," and S&W "Registered Magnums." Unfortunately these all were among the first .357s and are hard to find and very expensive when you find them (or really beat because of their age). But a fellow can dream, and there is still good stuff out there. I just found a 3-screw Ruger "Blackhawk" in perfect shooting shape for a reasonable price right down my street. Had been sitting in a safe (not a gun safe) since about 1958.

My impression is that the South and East are much better places to look for used revolvers, especially DAs, than the West and Southwest. Most of mine I bought in upstate NYS when I lived there from the 1980s until five years ago. At that time the PDs were selling off their revolvers, and lots were floating around.

BigJ
12-18-2012, 4:44 PM
So I've tried a couple sellers on GunBroker and all of them so far say, basically, no. They won't ship to Timber, and no they won't let me come pick it up (there was one in Carson City I could easily get to). They all claim that since I'm California, they have to ship to a Cal FFL.

Ugh.

aghauler
12-18-2012, 5:51 PM
So I've tried a couple sellers on GunBroker and all of them so far say, basically, no. They won't ship to Timber, and no they won't let me come pick it up (there was one in Carson City I could easily get to). They all claim that since I'm California, they have to ship to a Cal FFL.

Ugh.

If you have a C&R FFL in CA it's perfectly legal to ship to a NV 01 FFL and pick it up there.
They don't "have" to ship to a CA FFL unless you don't have a C&R. :facepalm: Try just giving them your payment info and where to ship it, DON'T try to explain you live in Kommiefornica and how terrible it is here and you need it shipped to NV. Too much info they don't need.:rolleyes:
What dealer in Carson City refused you? Nevada Gun Exchange or Carson Armory over in Mound House or somebody else? You could have Timber go down and buy it and then have him transfer to you.

mls343
12-18-2012, 6:10 PM
The actions on the old Backhawks are super smooth. That would be a very viable option.

Mike A
12-18-2012, 8:39 PM
Only caveat with an Old Model Ruger SA is to remember that it really is a "5-shooter," not a "6-shooter," just like a Colt. The New Model is a 6-shooter. For most of us, that doesn't matter one thin damn.

TANK1135
12-19-2012, 4:00 AM
Only caveat with an Old Model Ruger SA is to remember that it really is a "5-shooter," not a "6-shooter," just like a Colt. The New Model is a 6-shooter. For most of us, that doesn't matter one thin damn.

Most of the old flat tops were converted by Ruger,If Ruger works on your gun they will convert it.Won't forget load 1 skip one loaded the rest and cock it to drop on a empty hole.

Mike A
12-19-2012, 4:17 PM
Most of us (Rugernutz) would rather have an original 5-shooter than a "new" converted 6-shooter. See www.rugerforum.com (Possibly WHY we're Rugernutz....).