PDA

View Full Version : Help Me out Guys...Scope for an M1A?? Any Suggestions?

spdlinegsr28
08-11-2007, 8:24 PM
As to what the title says, please help me out. I just acquired an M1A and I really dont know or any idea what kind of scope to mount on it. So, I guess my question is, whats the best scope I can mount to maximize the range of the rifle (make sense)? I guess my thing is I want the scope to look tactical and my budget is $800 or lower the better. So what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Thanks for everyones time and input!!!

Gino:cool2:

Wulf
08-12-2007, 7:49 AM
There's several issues you need to hash out before you can pick a scope.

First is, how accurized is the rifle? If the M1A is plain jane it wont take very much scope at all to mazimize the potential of the rifle because a stock M1A isnt really a precision weapon. It was MADE to live up to the potential of iron sights and and the tolerances on the rifle were purposefully made no tighter than that for reliability and manufacturing ease.

Secondly, you have to decide where you want to mount the scope. There are reciever mounts that put a rail directily over the bold, and barrel mounts (aka Scout mounts) that put the mount up through a hole in the handguard. There's also a rail system foreend mod that is the equivalent of a scout mount.

There's problems with either option. The scout mounts generate a lot of heat and can cook an optic. The heat also can effect precision for long firing strings. Also, there are only a few scopes manufactured with the proper eye relief to work clear out there on the barrel, and their power is only modest.

The the biggest problem with the reciever mounts is that they position the scope up so high, that you cant get a proper cheek weld on the stock, so use a scoped M1A effectively you have to get a strap on cheek piece, build up a regular stock with fiberglass (or foam rubber and duct tape), or buy a stock with an adjustable cheek piece (expensive). The cheep receiver mounts aren't worth having because they don't hold 0 very well. The expensive ones that work are very expensive. Of course the scout or rail mounts aren't cheep to do either.

The M1A (M-14) actually was designed to be a iron sighted rifle. And it does that very well. The iron sights are actually excellent and capable of exploiting all the accuracy the rifle possess if the shooter knows how to do their job.

If your goal is to maximize the range of the rifle, first get it tuned up shoot accurately. Then spend some time with the highpower shooters or get some professional training to learn to shoot the iron sights. If you still want to wring more accuracy out of it at that point, plan on spending somewhere over a thousand bucks for a mount and optic. Somewhere along the way plan on getting into precision handloading or plan on buying federal gold match by the case.

OTOH if you just want to scope it with something....anything....just get a cheep Springfield receiver mount and any kind of optic that's inexpensive and looks good to your eye. The details wont really matter because a better scope wont really help you make better hits if you're shooting cheep surplus through a 4 moa gun.

polygunner
08-12-2007, 8:28 AM
I have a Sadlak steel mount and a Super Sniper 16x scope on a M1A. Works well. The mount is one of the best and I recomend It highly. The scope is OK for a 300 dollar scope but it does look tactical.

The iron sights on an M1A are some of the best out there. I can't get better groups out of my M1A's with a scope out to 300 yards. A scope allows you to see your target better but not shoot any better at closer ranges. I'm talking paper targets here.

Get a quality mount and the best scope you can afford. I think 16x might be too much scope for the rifle, 12x or 14x might be better suited to a 800 yd. battle rifle.
The best rifle ever by the way!
hth
pg

EricCartmann
08-12-2007, 10:14 AM
There's several issues you need to hash out before you can pick a scope.

First is, how accurized is the rifle? If the M1A is plain jane it wont take very much scope at all to mazimize the potential of the rifle because a stock M1A isnt really a precision weapon. It was MADE to live up to the potential of iron sights and and the tolerances on the rifle were purposefully made no tighter than that for reliability and manufacturing ease.

Secondly, you have to decide where you want to mount the scope. There are reciever mounts that put a rail directily over the bold, and barrel mounts (aka Scout mounts) that put the mount up through a hole in the handguard. There's also a rail system foreend mod that is the equivalent of a scout mount.

There's problems with either option. The scout mounts generate a lot of heat and can cook an optic. The heat also can effect precision for long firing strings. Also, there are only a few scopes manufactured with the proper eye relief to work clear out there on the barrel, and their power is only modest.

The the biggest problem with the reciever mounts is that they position the scope up so high, that you cant get a proper cheek weld on the stock, so use a scoped M1A effectively you have to get a strap on cheek piece, build up a regular stock with fiberglass (or foam rubber and duct tape), or buy a stock with an adjustable cheek piece (expensive). The cheep receiver mounts aren't worth having because they don't hold 0 very well. The expensive ones that work are very expensive. Of course the scout or rail mounts aren't cheep to do either.

The M1A (M-14) actually was designed to be a iron sighted rifle. And it does that very well. The iron sights are actually excellent and capable of exploiting all the accuracy the rifle possess if the shooter knows how to do their job.

If your goal is to maximize the range of the rifle, first get it tuned up shoot accurately. Then spend some time with the highpower shooters or get some professional training to learn to shoot the iron sights. If you still want to wring more accuracy out of it at that point, plan on spending somewhere over a thousand bucks for a mount and optic. Somewhere along the way plan on getting into precision handloading or plan on buying federal gold match by the case.

OTOH if you just want to scope it with something....anything....just get a cheep Springfield receiver mount and any kind of optic that's inexpensive and looks good to your eye. The details wont really matter because a better scope wont really help you make better hits if you're shooting cheep surplus through a 4 moa gun.

+1 that about coves it all. But I have to say, I bought a 3rd Gen chinese copy scope mount once and I had no problems with it. I found a secret :) RED LOCTITE! Did not lose zero after I that.