View Full Version : Interesting article & overview of Current statistics

12-18-2012, 7:32 AM
And it's from NBC of all places: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/18/15977143-gun-control-offers-no-cure-all-in-america?lite

I thought it was pretty neutral. It brought up some good points that, even without the 1994 AWB, gun related deaths are down a lot. It shows how the current background checks have kept many restricted persons from being able to purchase firearms, therefore it's actually working (from a legal purchase standpoint). It also shows that there is a very low number of denials due to mental health issues.

There definitely needs to be some discussion regarding how & when to report someone as restricted due to serious mental health issues.

12-18-2012, 7:49 AM
Very cool. Nice to see people finally trying to understand the problem through science and statistics rather than emotion.

Sent from the depths of the S3 Galaxy via Tapatalk 2

12-18-2012, 8:02 AM
Exactly what I thought. This was not an emotional piece. It was not a knee-jerk reaction to what happened. It shows that there is something else that is the underlying cause of the violence because the current laws are making it harder for criminals to purchase guns from legal sources. I'm not saying it's making it difficult for them to get the guns, but it is making them go to outside sources for them.

Banning a certain type of weapon isn't going to do crap. In a gun free zone, he could have gone in there with a pump shotgun, a bolt-action rifle, or just a hand gun & have killed just as many people. Takes me only +/- 30 seconds to reload my Mosin... and that's almost a 100 year old bolt-action rifle.

12-18-2012, 8:04 AM
It's a good read, thanks for sharing. Too bad they labelled it "other news". Should be front page.