PDA

View Full Version : NRA courageously goes silent

Mitch
12-18-2012, 5:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/nra-goes-silent-connecticut-school-shooting-080658189.html

Well, boys, you're on your own in making the case against gun control to your friends, family and co-workers.

Hopalong
12-18-2012, 5:49 AM
Timing is everything.

socal2310
12-18-2012, 6:20 AM
Can you think of a single thing the NRA could say in promoting the right to keep and bear arms that the media wouldn't use to make them look manipulative and opportunistic? With the media out for blood (since the bodies of slain children merely whet their appetite), silence is literally the only possible response that can't make things worse.

It's a shame lawmakers aren't held to the same standard. Feinstein and Yee were grandstanding before the first funeral.

Ryan

zhyla
12-18-2012, 6:30 AM
With the media out for blood (since the bodies of slain children merely whet their appetite), silence is literally the only possible response that can't make things worse.

A brief statement acknowledging/condemning the tragedy and saying something fluffy like "our heart goes out to the families..." seems appropriate. Even if it makes things worse I think it's the right thing to do.

Mitch
12-18-2012, 6:33 AM
Can you think of a single thing the NRA could say in promoting the right to keep and bear arms that the media wouldn't use to make them look manipulative and opportunistic?

I can think of lots of things to say and I am SAYING THEM, loudly and persistently, on other forums.

siscokid
12-18-2012, 6:33 AM
Timing is everything.

I agree

13withinfinity
12-18-2012, 6:37 AM
Let the anti's play their cards first. Keeping a poker face is the smartest thing to do, because the anti's sure as hell arnt smart enough to keep all their chips off the table.

ScottB
12-18-2012, 6:46 AM
Their silence speaks volumes

em9sredbeam
12-18-2012, 7:05 AM
It sounds like they are holding off out of respect to the families of the victims and are biding their time for when it is right.

Yugo
12-18-2012, 7:09 AM
agreed, they will speak when the time is right......

OlderThanDirt
12-18-2012, 7:11 AM
Patience and self control.

myk
12-18-2012, 7:13 AM
Anything that the NRA or any other pro-2A group says RIGHT NOW is going to be shredded to pieces in the angry public eye; there's no point in trying to explain our agenda to tearful, shouting, angry mobs seeking revenge for murdered children. These people, these frantic women that call for the removal of our Constitutional right need to have their say before the NRA even thinks about taking the public stage. There is also the necessity of not trying to appear political and being respectful towards the dead.

I trust in the NRA to take the proper stand in due time; now is NOT the time...

CHIEFone
12-18-2012, 7:15 AM
YEP! its CHESS not checkers!
and what i dont get is why are anti's tryna blame the NRA???
no one blames car makers for Drunk Drivers or the Alcohol company...

Bruce
12-18-2012, 7:21 AM
Considering the death threats to the NRA leader ship and members, I fully understand their disabling of social media. (Take a look at the comments from gun owners on Piers Morgan's FB page.) There really isn't a whole lot for the NRA to say at this point.

pennys dad
12-18-2012, 7:21 AM
Can you think of a single thing the NRA could say in promoting the right to keep and bear arms that the media wouldn't use to make them look manipulative and opportunistic? With the media out for blood (since the bodies of slain children merely whet their appetite), silence is literally the only possible response that can't make things worse.

It's a shame lawmakers aren't held to the same standard. Feinstein and Yee were grandstanding before the first funeral.

Ryan

This is a very sound road to take. Even in their silence the media has something negative to say about the NRA. Having the last word does not always win and fighting to prove our point soon after a tragedy does not win minds or votes. If you want to speak out and express your frustration go speak out against Feinstein and Yee now and do not stop and when the call goes out to fight for our rights, be the first to raise your hand in volunteerism to support your civil rights.

Kid Stanislaus
12-18-2012, 7:30 AM
In a situation like this it is not at all "fluffy" to say "Our hearts go out to the families of the slain children".

tcrpe
12-18-2012, 7:41 AM
Why should they? They have nothing to do with crazies.

frankm
12-18-2012, 7:43 AM
I hear he drove a Chevy to the school. the silence of Chevrolet on this issue is deafening. Shame on them. Shame on them I say.

Mitch
12-18-2012, 7:53 AM
Well, apparently everyone in this thread disagrees with almost everyone else posting in this forum, who insist we should be taking the fight to the grabbers.

I'm glad, at least, I've given you folks a place to post your feelings.

zhyla
12-18-2012, 8:04 AM
In a situation like this it is not at all "fluffy" to say "Our hearts go out to the families of the slain children".

Sure, but it's fluffy relative to what we'd all like to say: "We're gong to freeze this bastard's body until science can bring him back to life. In the meantime we'll be researching the most horrible way to kill a man."

donw
12-18-2012, 8:05 AM
It sounds like they are holding off out of respect to the families of the victims and are biding their time for when it is right.

i agree

the NRA will become involved; don't think it won't

ALL gun owners would do well to join the NRA and other pro-gun/2A organizations.

this time, we may have to "Fix bayonets" as it may get very difficult to ward off what is sure to come from the hallowed halls of Washington D.C. (and Sacramento)

we, in California, succeeded, in warding off SB 249...for a while, but it, or something similar, will surely surface; leland yee promised that as did difi on the national level.

a united front will always fare better. gun owners need to present that united front.

SPUTTER
12-18-2012, 8:11 AM
I just sent them a donation and ordered a nice NRA jacket for my father.

SanPedroShooter
12-18-2012, 8:15 AM
i agree

the NRA will become involved; don't think it won't

ALL gun owners would do well to join the NRA and other pro-gun/2A organizations.

this time, we may have to "Fix bayonets" as it may get very difficult to ward off what is sure to come from the hallowed halls of Washington D.C. (and Sacramento)

we, in California, succeeded, in warding off SB 249...for a while, but it, or something similar, will surely surface; leland yee promised that as did difi on the national level.

a united front will always fare better. gun owners need to present that united front.

I couldnt agree more.

Would you go out and try and reason with an angry and belligerent mob?

I also fail to see how the NRA should apologize for the actions of homicidal lunatics.

This violence was perpetrated in blue county of a blue state that already has an 'AW' ban. What more do they want?

Everybody need to take a look at themselves, their families, their communities before they go casting stones or foaming at the mouth and placing blame.

How much of the media frenzy that fuels this mob have you been watching?

DrVino
12-18-2012, 8:40 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt reportedly suspended online gun sales.
What's going on?

bulgron
12-18-2012, 8:55 AM
At least one liberal that I know claims that most NRA members want more gun control "but the NRA won't let them." That statement is so full of fail that I just had to walk away from the conversation. Right now the anti's are full of angry illogic, and they're deliberately, and coldly, using this tragedy to further their agenda. There's just no talking to them, unless by 'talking' you mean 'having a shouting match that goes nowhere.'

Guntech
12-18-2012, 9:03 AM
Anything that the NRA or any other pro-2A group says RIGHT NOW is going to be shredded to pieces in the angry public eye; there's no point in trying to explain our agenda to tearful, shouting, angry mobs seeking revenge for murdered children. These people, these frantic women that call for the removal of our Constitutional right need to have their say before the NRA even thinks about taking the public stage. There is also the necessity of not trying to appear political and being respectful towards the dead.

I trust in the NRA to take the proper stand in due time; now is NOT the time...

Whats the saying, "the angry man opens his mouth and closes his eyes"

Their eyes are closed TIGHT

IVC
12-18-2012, 9:27 AM
PR is a tricky business. Antis are all over the air even though it's their policy of "gun free school zones" and "call the police" that failed. Common sense would be antis hiding under a rock for their failed policies and NRA coming out and saying "we told you that the ban wouldn't stop the criminal and that only he would have a gun."

In reality it's quite the opposite. Antis are gloating and NRA has to hide. Such is human nature - emotions over logic.

jdmcgee
12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
At a time like this, I can totally understand why the NRA would stay silent. They will make statements when all of the irrefutable evidence supporting the fact that an armed citizen could've possibly saved lives is made available.

Until then (and more importantly after then) it is up to you, me & every proponent of the 2A to speak for ourselves. We can never depend solely on any organization, even the NRA, to make certain our voices are heard.

What have you done today & everyday to personally educate people on the benefits of our Constitutional right to keep & bear arms? Don't be mistaken, I don't mean only giving information to like-minded individuals like the good folks on this forum. I mean getting in the trenches with people at home, work, church, your kid's school, etc that have anti-2A views. Please remember to exude kindness and a clear goal of education with accurate facts & common sense on all 2A issues... We can get more flies with honey than vinegar, while the anti-gun groups only rely on getting flies with more Bull****.

We all need to remember that the far majority of anti-2A people only have those views due to the fact that they've never been properly presented with accurate 2A facts. They've only been given scare tactics, inaccurate data & blatant lies by the anti-gun groups. For an example, just watch the interviews that were recently broadcast on NBC4-LA with Conan Nolan at the below link:

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is spewing lies again! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=658370)

DON'T WAIT FOR THE NRA TO SPEAK FOR YOU WHEN WE ALL HAVE VOICES THAT CAN BE HEARD!

Harrison_Bergeron
12-18-2012, 10:19 AM
The NRA is making the right call. I'm sure we've all seen the idiots on TV from the smaller groups in front of cameras telling people that teachers should have M4s in the classroom. That lunacy* does nothing to help the cause. The NRA speaking up could get them lumped into the same group.

Also, there is nothing that the NRA can say that the grabbers will not be able to twist around. "If you really think that this is such a tragedy, then why won't you do anything to prevent it from happening again?" The opposition can try to spin silence, but it is much less effective.

*Advocating the abolition of the GFSZA and allowing CCW holders to potentially carry on school grounds is much different from advocating that teachers have actual assault rifles in the classroom.

CEDaytonaRydr
12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Timing is everything.

+1

Look what happened during Columbine. They held a rally (that had been previously planned :rolleyes: ) and Michael Moore exploited it in his movie. "Gun-grabbers" don't like facts, and they have very limited knowledge of actual firearms information and statistics. This is not the time to get mouthy...

This is "chess", not "checkers"... ;)

pennys dad
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Whats the saying, "the angry man opens his mouth and closes his eyes"

Their eyes are closed TIGHT

and their ears and minds and damn near everything else.

hermosabeach
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Look at the posts on calguns from people who have gotten into pissimg matches on Face Book about the shootings

Death is a time for mourning

Do you really think that big companies do not plan for contingencies?

I am sure that they have a planned responce for hundreds of events

Do you really need or want the NRA to stand up on TV and Oppose these killings?

How do you combat homicide bombers?

The plan is to die at the end!

Same with most mass shooters/ active shooters- dieing at the end- suicide- is thr plan

I think the NRA getting into a pissimg match on TV would be as effective as the people.who are in thr pissimg match on FB

b.faust
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
A little Jujitsu wisdom here.

If I've lost the advantage and ended up on the ground in a defensive position (guard), by a highly aggressive and well positioned opponent, I don't try and force a technique.

I'll keep in guard, let them gas out attempting to capitalize on their position. Once they've gotten sufficiently burned out/tired, I'll let them 'commit' to a technique and then I capitalize on it, turning the tables for better position, or even a tapout.

I definitely don't want to 'fight' from that initial guard position, I'll get just as tired, and probably make a mistake first by giving them an opening in my panic.

A guard position can be a strong position if you keep your head and closely pay attention to your opponent.

B.

badreligion
12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
This is a time where the less said is better. For years now the anti-gun groups having been losing on all fronts. They are hostile and frustrated that nothing is going there way and they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. That light is the simple fact they will lose in the end. Their arguements have all lost steam and staying power and the only cards they have left just burst.
As a gun owner and gun rights supporter it is all of our jobs to keep our wits about us. When you engage into a conversation, online or real life, keep it an adult conversation. Don't go foaming off at the mouth, that's your opponents job. Keep it civil, use tact, acknowledge their point of view and counter it with factual statements and questions. Facts not feelings win in the end. Ask questions of them to draw them out and paint themselves into a corner. Keep reminding them in an adult conversation that it requires both sides to listen and give more weight to facts, truths and history versus feelings.
I was recently banned from a Liberal Facebook page for doing exactly what I just described. While several opponents tried to use emotional arguments for their points of view I remained calm, using every opportunity to counter them and steer the conversation in the direction I choose. I didn't get baited into an emotional debate. I asked simple questions. I made simple observations. In the end I won because I proved their arguements moot and did exactly what they wanted, an adult conversation.
I think the NRA is playing this one very smart. Let the anti-rights groups be pissed because their policies and laws failed to protect those innocent and wonderful children. Let them shoulder the blame for the actions of one mentally ill person. Let them froth at the mouth and show their true colors. In the end it matters not one bit as we will win.

SuperSet
12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
All for staying posed, dignified and respectful given how traumatizing this event has been for our country. Having said that, I think it is well past time for a different public face for the NRA as I don't think LaPierre has been particularly effective or adroit when it comes to media presence. In an emotional time like this, sophistication, tact and poise will win the day. We are on the factual and moral right side of the issue and I want to ensure that our message is delivered in the best possible light.

saint7
12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Have you notices how the rule makers are jumping on this and fast. They are using the emotions to push this instead of rational thinking. Then the NRA will come in when the dust settles and use the courts against them. I say let the pound their chests.... but they have to remember that the 1A is protected and upheld by the 2A.... Hoping the courts will rule in what is right and not what is emotion and irrational thinking.

mag360
12-18-2012, 11:53 AM
MAKE SURE you are an NRA member, you will get a bass pro gift card for $25 here too, basically free membership. To quote the chairman of the Calguns Foundation Gene Hoffman, "you can never NOT be an NRA member". Keep in mind California is the only state with a full time NRA lobbyist. They focus here because they know stupidity will spread if they don't.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=bassprowy&EK=Y1CWPPAD&pubID=%20217.AAG&hid=4487688

Also really have to think long and hard about making additional donations. This is it folks, if we lose our guns, our country as we know it is history.

Now the question is...should we make additional donations to NRA-ILA, NRA, or who? what would be most effective, I know they will need money.

hornswaggled
12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
It hasn't even been 2 full business days since the tragedy. Chatter says a response to the antis is coming soon.

Chatter also has it from people joining/renewing that the wait times are high and people joining in the thousands.

Go NRA

Californio
12-18-2012, 1:08 PM
The National Rifle Association, breaking days of silence, issued a statement saying it is "shocked, saddened and heartbroken" by the elementary-school shootings in Connecticut and is ready to offer "meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again."

The group said it will hold a news conference in Washington, D.C., on Friday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324907204578187783999341120.html?m od=djemalertNEWS

bigcalidave
12-18-2012, 1:09 PM
NRA just made a press release.

http://home.nra.org/

NRA STATEMENT

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters - and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

Alaric
12-18-2012, 1:14 PM
The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

Creeping incrementalism. From my reading of that statement, it appears the NRA is going to compromise some rights away on our behalf.

voiceofreason
12-18-2012, 1:21 PM
ANYTHING from the NRA right now will be demonized.

Head down, lay low until the majority of the emotion blows over.

You don't stand up during a hurricane at its peak wind speed.

vliberatore
12-18-2012, 1:21 PM
I don't understand why people (especially antis) were looking to the NRA for a statement. Were they expecting the NRA to condone the actions in CT?

readysetgo
12-18-2012, 1:23 PM
Why should they? They have nothing to do with crazies.

^ This times a million!

hornswaggled
12-18-2012, 1:23 PM
Friday. Armageddon day. Interesting.

ACfixer
12-18-2012, 1:34 PM
Friday. Armageddon day. Interesting.

Yep. It's easy to put things off until after the end of the world. ;)

Give it time folks, out of respect for what I feel is the most horrific shooting of them all. There's no stauncher 2nd supporter than I, but it's right to look at the big picture and not run on emotions. There's nothing the NRA could say right now that's going to go over well in the media. As has been stated so well already, the NRA doesn't support the rights of murderers.

Linh
12-18-2012, 1:37 PM
So Adam Lanza DIDN'T kill? The guns did?

In that case then yes guns should be banned.

jm13690
12-18-2012, 1:42 PM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121218/US.NRA.Silence/

looks like they are breaking the silence.

jdmcgee
12-18-2012, 2:03 PM
ANYTHING from the NRA right now will be demonized.

Head down, lay low until the majority of the emotion blows over.

You don't stand up during a hurricane at its peak wind speed.

Again, agreed... Literally anything the NRA says short of "Let's ban every firearm" will be torn apart... If the statement is made today or Friday is inconsequential.

It's time for all of us to renew our lapsed memberships or if possible, donate even more to groups like the NRA & CalGuns so they can financially afford all of the much needed work that needs to be done.

Everyone remember though, we don't have to wait for the NRA to defend our rights. There's nothing that should stop any of us as individuals from defending our 2A legal rights through in-person, civil & most importantly kind discussions with individuals who have differing opinions. If we personally educate everyone we come in contact with to the benefits of the 2A, this current attack on our freedom and all future attacks will slowly cease to exist.

JD

JimA77
12-18-2012, 3:28 PM
Again, agreed... Literally anything the NRA says short of "Let's ban every firearm" will be torn apart... If the statement is made today or Friday is inconsequential.

It's time for all of us to renew our lapsed memberships

JD

After having let my NRA membership go UN-renewed for many years, I did a quick 2 Year Membership while reading this thread.
But everyone needs to think before they speak out or post. It's real easy for things to get taken out of context or edited to fit a viewpoint.

rcpilot_971
12-18-2012, 3:33 PM
just a thougt
The NRA did not say how they plan to help make sure this never happens again maybe they going to do something to help the mentally ill people

MontClaire
12-18-2012, 3:40 PM
To those who are diehard NRA believers and thought NRA was " secretly working behind the scenes" to secure our consitutional right.....did you wake up yet or are you still a euphoric zombie NRA bumper sticker advocate?:rofl2:

tommyfly
12-18-2012, 4:23 PM
Taken from usatoday.com:

The National Rifle Association has put out a statement saying it is "prepared to offer meaningful contributions" to prevent more violence like that which occurred in Newtown, Conn., last week. The organization said it will hold a news conference in the Washington, D.C., area on Friday.

Additionally, the organization broke its silence on social media, and put its Facebook page back up Tuesday afternoon, timed to the statement's release. The page had been down for several days following the shooting. The NRA also posted a Tweet Tuesday for the first time since Friday, linking to the statement.

The statement reads:

"The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

"Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

"The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

"The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

"Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/18/nra-statement/1778157/

sarabellum
12-18-2012, 4:33 PM
Well, apparently everyone in this thread disagrees with almost everyone else posting in this forum, who insist we should be taking the fight to the grabbers.

I'm glad, at least, I've given you folks a place to post your feelings.

The fight we should have taken is the same fight grieving parents face, when stray bullets from drug thugs kill their children, thugs kill or injure teachers, etc. The fight we as arms owners should take is on behalf of every other constitutional amendment. However, too often I hear "antis" this or "liberals" that. The 2nd Amendment is a non- partisan issue. From the sounds of these anti this and that comments, one would think that the 2nd Amendment supporting community stands against something only and not in favor of anything.

We should be the first in line everyday to advocate for arming and protecting school teachers, in whose hands we place the education and safety of our children. We should be the first in line to advocate for expanding the role of citizens in the surveillance of drug activity. We should be the first in line to advocate for every single one of the Amendments for the constitution, rather than take the odd stance of berating the ACLU for supporting the 1st Amendment or a criminal defense attorney for making good on the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 14th Amendments to the Constitution.

While teaching, I was assaulted and severly injured by two gang thugs, when I tried to protect my students from them. I am particularly sensitive to the issues above.

uyoga
12-18-2012, 5:14 PM
As with poker . . . . . "you gotta know when to hold 'em".

Too much emotion now. People tend to be more unreasonable when they're emotional.

Any argument advanced to people in an emotional state - no matter how reasonable - will not even be heard. Worse . . . . you will be branded a child killer.

fishoot
12-18-2012, 7:09 PM
I think the NRA is showing some grieving families the respect they deserve while they mourn. When the time is right, after having granted the families the peace they desperately need, the NRA will address the issue of further gun control.

wjc
12-18-2012, 7:15 PM
Boy, I sure hope the NRA has got something really good (for us) planned!

jdmcgee
12-18-2012, 8:51 PM
To those who are diehard NRA believers and thought NRA was " secretly working behind the scenes" to secure our consitutional right.....did you wake up yet or are you still a euphoric zombie NRA bumper sticker advocate?:rofl2:

Just curious and no confrontation intended, why do you have such hatred for the NRA or it's members?

DrVino
12-18-2012, 9:05 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/12/foghorn/dianne-feinstein-officially-announces-provisions-of-upcoming-assault-weapons-ban-bill/

Intimid8tor
12-18-2012, 9:13 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/12/foghorn/dianne-feinstein-officially-announces-provisions-of-upcoming-assault-weapons-ban-bill/

I think they are going to roll over and support that bill. I don't know why I have this feeling, but I can't shake it based on the wording of their pre-announcement today. God, I hope I'm wrong.

scrubb
12-18-2012, 9:16 PM
I usually remain quiet instead of commenting on the "panic" threads after a tragic event, but I can tell you what I have done recently. I upgraded from an annual NRA member to a life member, and I also became an SAF member, CRPA member, and donated to the calguns foundation. It feels good, and really feels that I am doing something more than just sitting around and bickering about it yet doing nothing to counter it.

I think the best thing that any of us can do is support any and all gun rights orgs that you can afford to, write your local congress person(s), and the rest is up to the courts. The NRA might not be perfect, but they are our biggest ally, and without them, we might all be shooting singleshot shotguns, and .22 rifles. A vote against helping them, is not going to help our cause.

Tomorrow.....well, I am off to write a few congress person(s) asking them to fight for our second amendment rights, and try to avoid kneejerk reactions to this tragic event.....to look at the root/source of the problem, and not look for the most common scapegoat (guns/NRA) instead. I encourage you to be active....get out and do what you can, be it your wallet, or your pen, or both....do what you can to fight for our rights. The fight is coming to us, and this might be the biggest fight of them all.

Cheers,

minerva1856
12-18-2012, 9:21 PM
First article I've seen with a decent premise and from the unlikeliest place. The comments serve as proof of the need to wait.
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/navarrette/article/Gun-debate-needs-a-waiting-period-4129691.php

speleogist
12-18-2012, 9:42 PM

The media is asking the NRA for a response because they are trying to hold them indirectly accountable for what happened. If they say what you suggest, the media is going to take it and run with it as they are accepting responsibility in some way for "murdering children".

Tarn_Helm
12-18-2012, 9:43 PM
I agree

Yes. ^

And 13withinfinity writes:

Let the anti's play their cards first. Keeping a poker face is the smartest thing to do, because the anti's sure as hell arnt smart enough to keep all their chips off the table.

This too. ^

G-Man WC
12-18-2012, 10:16 PM
The assaulted documentry can't be made soon enough to educate ignorant people.
-g

Exodus343
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Ryan

which makes me even MORE sick
using the blood of those innocent children to fuel their agenda
disgusting and WEAK

jdmcgee
12-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I usually remain quiet instead of commenting on the "panic" threads after a tragic event, but I can tell you what I have done recently. I upgraded from an annual NRA member to a life member, and I also became an SAF member, CRPA member, and donated to the calguns foundation. It feels good, and really feels that I am doing something more than just sitting around and bickering about it yet doing nothing to counter it.

I think the best thing that any of us can do is support any and all gun rights orgs that you can afford to, write your local congress person(s), and the rest is up to the courts. The NRA might not be perfect, but they are our biggest ally, and without them, we might all be shooting singleshot shotguns, and .22 rifles. A vote against helping them, is not going to help our cause.

Tomorrow.....well, I am off to write a few congress person(s) asking them to fight for our second amendment rights, and try to avoid kneejerk reactions to this tragic event.....to look at the root/source of the problem, and not look for the most common scapegoat (guns/NRA) instead. I encourage you to be active....get out and do what you can, be it your wallet, or your pen, or both....do what you can to fight for our rights. The fight is coming to us, and this might be the biggest fight of them all.

Cheers,

Great suggestions! If all of us did exactly what scrubb is planning on doing we all would have a lot less to worry about.

Use your wallet & use your pen but more importantly use your voice. No one should ever be afraid to engage in an honest discussion with anyone who might have a different stance on 2A rights. You actually have a great chance at changing a person's mind as long as the discussion is non-confrontational & only meant to educate the person with accurate facts on the clear benefits of the 2A.

With the proper words & actions executed by every single one of us, we can finally gain true freedom... With improper words or actions, or even worse, inaction by just a few of us, we will surely lose all of our freedom.

JDMcGee

kb58
12-19-2012, 6:11 AM
This is a time where the less said is better...
^This. I've never seen such angry and hateful talk - on both sides.

PrimaryArms
12-19-2012, 6:19 AM
Delete

DrVino
12-19-2012, 8:13 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/19/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 8:30 AM
The media is asking the NRA for a response because they are trying to hold them indirectly accountable for what happened. If they say what you suggest, the media is going to take it and run with it as they are accepting responsibility in some way for "murdering children".

Exactly. Another blog/site mentioned that this is like asking GLAAD to respond about Sandusky/Penn State, and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

jdmcgee
12-19-2012, 8:45 AM
Exactly. Another blog/site mentioned that this is like asking GLAAD to respond about Sandusky/Penn State, and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

I never heard the above comparison but it is very accurate.

formerTexan
12-19-2012, 9:06 AM
I never heard the above comparison but it is very accurate.

Sorry, what I said was what I thought was said. I checked my browser history and this is where I saw it:
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/159861/

SEEN ON FACEBOOK:

“What is the gun community going to do about this tragedy?”

“I dunno. What is the gay community going to do about Penn State?”

donw
12-19-2012, 9:07 AM
A little Jujitsu wisdom here.

If I've lost the advantage and ended up on the ground in a defensive position (guard), by a highly aggressive and well positioned opponent, I don't try and force a technique.

I'll keep in guard, let them gas out attempting to capitalize on their position. Once they've gotten sufficiently burned out/tired, I'll let them 'commit' to a technique and then I capitalize on it, turning the tables for better position, or even a tapout.

I definitely don't want to 'fight' from that initial guard position, I'll get just as tired, and probably make a mistake first by giving them an opening in my panic.

A guard position can be a strong position if you keep your head and closely pay attention to your opponent.

B.

very well thought out...

i remember from my days in a very bad place my plt sgt telling us: "Dig in, hunker down and let the s*** fly over your head..."

DrVino
12-19-2012, 9:13 AM
http://cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2012/12/19/sot-obama-gun-violence-plan.cnn

xxINKxx
12-19-2012, 9:51 AM
Boy, I sure hope the NRA has got something really good (for us) planned!

The only thing I've really seen the NRA do is bombard my phone with spam calls looking for money.

They call our shop every day 2 times. When we tell them we can barley keep our doors open as is they get rude and hang up. I think I'm gunna stop being a member since the only thing I've delt with from the NRA is them asking for money. I'm sure I'm not the only one...

holasrmateo
12-19-2012, 10:24 AM
The NRA is given millions of dollars a year, it is a political group, and unfortunately mass shootings are not unheard of. It took four days to state that the murder of 26 women and children is a tragedy and we are will to do what we can to prevent it in the future. That should have been line one.

They have no soft power. For every commercial I see of a Indian Casino or an Oil Company or a Teacher or Nurse I should see a safety mom telling me that all she wants is to protect her kids.

Then they fight stupid battles over background checks, waiting periods, and private party transfers, which is alway demonized as the "gun show loophole". Honestly if those were traded, you'd be giving up nothing, and ideally for something. Once more they are reasonable, inline with the majority of the country and still more lenient than California.

And they have forsaken California. Instead they concentrate on their base. They have lost ground on young people, urban and suburbanites. 40% of americans own guns, the job is almost done for them.

advocatusdiaboli
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't understand why people (especially antis) were looking to the NRA for a statement. Were they expecting the NRA to condone the actions in CT?

It's called "baiting" and is a smear tactic. The silence of the NRA shows wisdom.

DrVino
12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
How did we get to THIS?:

Excelsior
12-19-2012, 12:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/nra-goes-silent-connecticut-school-shooting-080658189.html

Well, boys, you're on your own in making the case against gun control to your friends, family and co-workers.

"courageously?"

More like "tactfully."

DrVino
12-19-2012, 1:33 PM
How did we get to THIS?:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/19/cnn-poll-bare-majority-now-support-major-gun-restrictions/?hpt=hp_t1