PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Open-Carriers Brave Challenge The Mood In Sacramento

AyatollahGondola
12-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't know if I know these guys, but another publication I read and contribute to a little(writing), had an little article on this open-carry exercise in downtown Sac on Sunday. Brought to mind how the presidents wife boarded a commercial flight right after 9-11-2011 to lead the way in spite of people's fears

Two of the men in the group were carrying shotguns when police stopped them at 10th and J streets around 9:20 p.m., according to officer Michelle Gigante. They were found to be in compliance with current open carry laws as the guns were not loaded, Gigante said.

One of the suspects told officers that they wanted to carry the guns in public before it becomes illegal, Gigante said.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/77239/Men_walk_streets_with_guns_to_protest_gun_law

myk
12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
In-your-face-tactics towards the anti's are not appropriate for advocating gun rights; people who insist on doing this are just making things worse...

Ron-Solo
12-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Some people just have to go full retard and give more fuel to the antis.

Stop it!

Mullins
12-18-2012, 12:58 AM
I am sorry but if we carried openly all the time we would convince the public that they are not evil dangerous baby killers but instead a tool.

The public has only had the chance to see guns on TV and in movies...and we all know how accurate they can be. Look at what has happened over the years with firearms being removed from the general publics view.

(Think about the publics reaction to open carry in a state like Texas or Alaska vs here in California)

I will say that here in California we are to late and the media has brainwashed most of the sheeple into thinking like they do.

dwtt
12-18-2012, 1:04 AM

Stop it!

The OP is also illiterate and incorrectly spelled stupid as b-r-a-v-e
Our public education system is to blame.

12voltguy
12-18-2012, 8:27 AM
I am sorry but if we carried openly all the time we would convince the public that they are not evil dangerous baby killers but instead a tool.
The public has only had the chance to see guns on TV and in movies...and we all know how accurate they can be. Look at what has happened over the years with firearms being removed from the general publics view.

(Think about the publics reaction to open carry in a state like Texas or Alaska vs here in California)

I will say that here in California we are to late and the media has brainwashed most of the sheeple into thinking like they do.

no, no it has not :rolleyes:

myk
12-18-2012, 8:31 AM

No, no, NO we would not; we would only convince them that we are NUTS. It hasn't worked before and it MOST CERTAINLY won't work NOW. Please put away your Clint Eastwood "Man with no Name" collection and rejoin us in common-sense land...

Mitch
12-18-2012, 8:35 AM

Well, maybe, but you don't open carry all the time. You don't carry to work and you don't carry when you go to the beach or the park or out to dinner. You only open carry when you get together into packs and scare the hell out of people.

What are you trying to accomplish again?

BTW, the President's wife didn't board a commercial flight right after 9/11/2001 because there were none, worldwide, until almost a week later. I know because I was on one of the first flights out of London, though no one gave me a medal or anything.

Antony06
12-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Guns are not tools, don't say silly things like that. They are weapons, and carrying around empty shotguns isn't going to convince anyone that guns are harmless. These kind of replies are embarrassing to intelligent gun owners.

FullMetalJacket
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I can't believe what knuckleheads some people are. In THIS political climate, open carriers are stirring up additional controversy?

With that kind of "help," we'll be lucky if we still can own guns at all by this time next year.

Eldraque
12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
im all for this.

curtisfong
12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
You're all for this?

SMH.

You just can't fix stupid, can you?

http://nyet.org/images/panthers.jpg

Moonshine
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Open carrying shotguns in an urban environment, what a great way to make sure everyone who sees and reads about it calls their representative to complain! Now well have to make twice as many calls when Yee reintroduces his bill!

FullMetalJacket
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
For those of you who think that being provocative by open carrying shotguns is a good idea, here's a clue, because you don't get it.

For every action you consider taking, ask yourself:

1) What can I gain by doing this?
2) What can I lose by doing this?

If you think about it for even half a second, you'll realize you have NOTHING to gain. But you have LOTS to lose. Because hundreds or thousands of people are going to hear about it and turn against us. You damage the whole movement.

Just about every person who hears of this is going to have the OPPOSITE reaction from what you intend. They're not going to sympathize with the pending loss of open carry; they're going to be glad it's happening so they won't have to see shotgun-toting idiots hanging about.

stix213
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Some people never learn from their mistakes

Gray Peterson
12-18-2012, 10:57 AM
You can't fix stupid.

Untamed1972
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Stop it!

http://i.qkme.me/36e2np.jpg

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Sure, that was so successful with handugns, wasn't it? How many times does this mule have to be hit with the 2X4 before he pays attention? :rolleyes:

Coded-Dude
12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
:facepalm:

So, when the new ban come downs the pipe, I expect all of you to follow the law and give up your firearms. No point in civil protest as many here are of the mindset that it doesn't work(and is actually counter productive). Better to follow the rules(and guidelines of the majority) and not step on anybody's toes than to exercise inalienable rights guaranteed by birth and protected by the constitution.

The name calling is particularly cute and the mature thing to do here(obviously). Keep blaming your fellow gunowners and creating a divide amongst ourselves. It's the only way to protect our freedoms(in-fighting and name-calling that is).

Flame away, you only further my point.

Think about this....while you are busy blaming OCer's for the OC ban, why not also thank them as that ban more thank likely helped the current cases being argued in CA9. Was the ban a step back for gun rights(yes - temporarily)? Was the ban a step forward for successful litigation against these unconstitutional laws(yes - immensely)? Don't berate the OC'ers...thank them.

GutPunch
12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I really have to wonder if this isn't another attempt by antis to get the gunnies to do the antis' work for them. The reality of the situation is that the protests you are advocating for do more to enforce the FUD in mainstream society than it does convincing people guns are good.

Stop!

SgtMerc
12-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Guns are not tools, don't say silly things like that. They are weapons, and carrying around empty shotguns isn't going to convince anyone that guns are harmless. These kind of replies are embarrassing to intelligent gun owners.

Intelligent gun owners know that guns are tools. A tool becomes a weapon based on intent. Like icepicks, claw hammers and butcher's knives.

I don't condone these guys open carrying in this political climate, but to states that guns are only weapons and not tools is a statement full of fear-mongering.

Next you'll tell us that ARs have no sporting purpose, and that only MIL/LEO are responsible enough to own firearms. (hint: police don't hit the range as often as they show on TV)

Eldraque
12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
You're all for this?

SMH.

it has no effect either way.

Sgt Raven
12-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Maybe you should check your facts before posting, open carry of handguns is illegal in Texas.

donny douchebag
12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Intelligent gun owners know that guns are tools. A tool becomes a weapon based on intent. Like icepicks, claw hammers and butcher's knives.

Yeah, because those things were expressly designed to kill. :rolleyes:

Stonewalker
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh gosh. Who the hell did this? I thought I knew most CGN members in Sacramento, or at least knew of them. FESS UP.

For those of you who think that being provocative by open carrying shotguns is a good idea, here's a clue, because you don't get it.

For every action you consider taking, ask yourself:

1) What can I gain by doing this?
2) What can I lose by doing this?

If you think about it for even half a second, you'll realize you have NOTHING to gain. But you have LOTS to lose. Because hundreds or thousands of people are going to hear about it and turn against us. You damage the whole movement.

Just about every person who hears of this is going to have the OPPOSITE reaction from what you intend. They're not going to sympathize with the pending loss of open carry; they're going to be glad it's happening so they won't have to see shotgun-toting idiots hanging about.

Yes, but cost-benefit analysis requires thinking, not just primal reaction. Foolish behavior.

King Peter
12-18-2012, 2:24 PM
remember when all those idiots in california went out and bought legal .50 cal rifles and ended up getting them banned for the rest of us. what idiots !!!!

remember when those idiots in california bought those 20 round magazines and then went out in public flaunting them and being "in your face" that it was their right ? those idiots got them banned for the rest of us !!!!

remember when those guys open carried shotguns after the law had been passed banning them and then they got them banned for the rest of us. what idiots !!!

curtisfong
12-18-2012, 2:29 PM
it has no effect either way.

So you have no idea what that picture is of?

SgtMerc
12-18-2012, 2:35 PM
Yeah, because those things were expressly designed to kill. :rolleyes:

If that's all guns are designed to do, then all of mine are defective.

And if all I had experienced was seeing baseball bats used to bludgeon and destroy things, I'd think bats were designed that way.

It's interesting how the antis come here and pretend to be 2A supporters while spouting their emotionally charged, illogical, fallacy-ridden arguments.

Eldraque
12-18-2012, 2:45 PM
So you have no idea what that picture is of?

No i dont know what that picture is.

No im not stupid.

And there is nothing wrong with open carry demonstrations. at least their doing something. the antis hate us either way.

curtisfong
12-18-2012, 2:47 PM
1:

2:
No im not stupid.

3:
And there is nothing wrong with open carry demonstrations.

1 and 3 clearly disprove 2, especially since 3 is directly related to 1.

at least their[sic] doing something

Yes. They're doing something. See #1

Try to keep up.

NorCalNative
12-18-2012, 2:48 PM
Honestly how stupid. How would I react if I came around the corner at 10th and J, at 9:30pm, to come face to face with a group, of which some were armed with shotguns? Lets just say that that it could be a tense situation. What would you do CCW holder...?

donny douchebag
12-18-2012, 3:12 PM
...It's interesting how the antis come here and pretend to be 2A supporters while spouting their emotionally charged, illogical, fallacy-ridden arguments....

Riiight. Yet the endless repeating of the same old hoary, nonsensical, and obviously *unintelligent* BS by some gun owners make us all look like the uneducated knuckle dragging morons they really are. That's OK though.

Doheny
12-18-2012, 3:20 PM
In-your-face-tactics towards the anti's are not appropriate for advocating gun rights; people who insist on doing this are just making things worse...

Yup

Sgt Raven
12-18-2012, 3:31 PM

No im not stupid.

And there is nothing wrong with open carry demonstrations. at least their doing something. the antis hate us either way.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." :rolleyes:

Coded-Dude
12-18-2012, 3:32 PM
You're all for this?

SMH.

You think it was right for congress to attempt to disarm these people, thus infringing on their right to defend themselves against police brutality? The march was merely a protest, legislation was already in the pipe.....

Mitch
12-18-2012, 3:38 PM
If that's all guns are designed to do, then all of mine are defective.

Perhaps you are doing it wrong. Have you read the manuals?

CitaDeL
12-18-2012, 3:44 PM
Honestly how stupid. How would I react if I came around the corner at 10th and J, at 9:30pm, to come face to face with a group, of which some were armed with shotguns? Lets just say that that it could be a tense situation. What would you do CCW holder...?

Yeah. This is a non-starter. A carry licensee (in spite of Greg Block's assertion) would need to justify their actions with a reasonable fear of immediate grave bodily injury or death... In other words, a licensee would not be justified in shooting someone merely carrying a firearm openly. If the firearms are not pointed in your direction, it is very unlikely to prove one could reasonably be in fear for their lives.

That being the case, a licensee drawing their weapon unjustifiably would risk their licenseto carry by brandishing their firearm in a public place and face being charged with a crime.

curtisfong
12-18-2012, 4:14 PM
You think it was right for congress to attempt to disarm these people, thus infringing on their right to defend themselves against police brutality?

Of course not.

Not sure what that has to do with discouraging somebody from doing something tactically (not to mention strategically) stupid.

SilverTauron
12-18-2012, 4:26 PM

I don't live in California, but I'd just as soon applaud the open carriers' bravery. Considering the hostile legislative and cultural climate in urban California on top of the millions of people in the state who despise firearms , the game is over.

Right now you CA gun owners are marked men and women. You may as well get a good punch in before the execution is carried out.

Coded-Dude
12-18-2012, 4:47 PM
Of course not.

Not sure what that has to do with discouraging somebody from doing something tactically (not to mention strategically) stupid.

I can understand the tactical advantages of when and where to "protest" or "demonstrate" with regards to our rights, especially before legislation was passed, but it's kind of a moot point now. The legislation has passed, so now all we can do is protest it and have it's legal status reviewed judicially.

Barring the recent tragic events that have escalated gun control debates to new heights(and caused retailers and investors to further scrutinize their policies to continue to remain as politically correct as possible), it wouldn't have been all that bad to have another demonstration at the capital like they did back in the day. Tell CA congress we know you have a super majority and you're going to try and pass these unconstitutional laws but we are going to continue to fight you in the courts and win. But as stated, such a demonstration would be in bad taste and only further incite the anti's(nationally). The last thing we want is new federal law(new state law is bad as well, but there are more solutions).

The point is some gun owners are very anti open carry, while others are very pro; it is one divide in the gun community that will always cause controversy and disagreements......let's just try and do it civilly. We are all on the same side(pro 2A)

Mullins
12-18-2012, 10:02 PM
My post has been flamed so I will try to respond and elaborate.

We can no longer do this now that OC has been banned.I am to young to have been able to OC in the past. I feel people should have carried everywhere. "yes even to the beach"
WHY you might ask.

So that the sheeple would have taken notice that every day they were around people with firearms and they were not shot at, threatened, or even felt scared.

This is what bothers me the most.
The general public that is not into gun only get to see them via the media, tv shows, and movies. This will never help to inform them or show why we love our 2nd amendment so much.

Ok I did not research this but assumed, I do deserve to take the hit on this one! Sorry

Here is my most important line. It is to late for California to do what i think should have been done from the start and now we must fight and struggle to get our rights and freedoms back!

:hide: :popcorn:

phrogg111
12-19-2012, 8:39 AM
I went to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight for our freedoms here at home.

I am NOT OKAY with people taking our freedoms after what I've been through!

The right of the people, to keep and BARE arms, shall not be infringed.

My rights DO NOT end where your feelings begin, and to all of you idiots that think they should - SHOVE IT!

Mullins
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
The thought just occurred to me. "How would people feel about a no free speach zone"

I may not like what some people say but I would never want to pass a law to restrict them from saying it.