PDA

View Full Version : Knife Sharpening

pat4wd
12-17-2012, 5:00 PM
Just Ordered a couple new benchmade knives as you might have seen in my other post, SO I got to thinking after somebody said " now learn to sharpen them correctly"

All you hunters use knives, Tell us your Method of sharpening your knives, Best methods, stones, Devices, Polishes, and what not.. I have used the lansky stuff with the little vise with the openings for the different angles.. I am able to get a good shape blade with the different stones, But I am sure there are better ways.. My benchmark is I want it to shave the hair on my Arm.. :)

Post up your methods

MJB
12-17-2012, 5:12 PM
I use a havalon for hunting so no need for a sharpener. But I use a diamond rod for my other knives.

Rockit
12-17-2012, 5:12 PM
Stupid easy to get razor sharp with this.... Http://www.worksharptools.com

xSARSx
12-17-2012, 6:28 PM
Stupid easy to get razor sharp with this.... Http://www.worksharptools.com

looks really good. i might have to get one of those now :D

Flying Sig
12-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Spiderco Sharpmaker

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE

You will be able to get your knives sharper than when you pulled them out of the box new. Scary sharp.

Flying Sig
12-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Deleted.

What's with all the double posts?

runway1
12-18-2012, 7:32 AM
When I said "now learn to sharpen them correctly", I meant the old-school hand sharpening with oil or water stones. That requires much pratice to engrain the muscle memory required to hold the correct angle over and over - that's the "learn" part.

If you're serious about your knives (most aren't - I'm a knifemaker, so I'm anal), you'll have differnt systems for different types of sharpening. For general purpose, you'll want two systems:
1. Fixtured system; The Worksharp tool in the earlier post is excellent. This is what you use to re-establish an edge (chipped blade that needs fixin or re-profiling) or to "save" a blade that's been heavily used and is sharp as a marble. Also perfect for volume sharpening (batch of knives - kitchen, etc.)

2. Touch up and maintenence system; This is what you use in the field or general balde touch ups. Diamond sticks, Lansky system is fine for this also. You can use Lansky in hand as well. Other hand held stones, diamond plates, etc. work well for this. This is where the muscle memory comes in. Need to hold that blade at the same angle, both sides, throughout the stroke. You're not fixtured here so this is critical.

Hunter47
12-18-2012, 10:40 AM
If you process game out in the field, the knife will need to be sharpened several times to get through one animal. Get a compact diamond steel sharpener. You can have a razor blade sharp knife in the beginning and it will soon be dull after going through the fur and quartering the animal. Over the years I have watched multiple guides processing animals out in the field. In all cases they use inexpensive knives and sharpen them as they work through the animal. When asked they all said it wasn't worth the price to forget/lose an expensive knife in the field. Just buy another inexpensive knife to do the job. That being said I have used super expensive knives to see how they work. Their edge did last longer than a medium priced knife but not long enough to last through even a Pronghorn. My favorite is a medium priced Gerber with a gator handle. It's soft/round edges prevent blisters and the gator material does not get slippery from blood.

hermosabeach
12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Lots of threads already on this same topic

For me- i like the edge pro kit

Keith
12-21-2012, 9:51 AM
I have the Edge Pro Apex-4 and it is great! With a little learning and practice, I have been able to get a mirror polish on my knife blades. You still need to understand the different types of blade bevels and contures, but that is no different than any sharpening system.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

BREACH
12-21-2012, 1:28 PM
1. Fixtured system; The Worksharp tool in the earlier post is excellent. This is what you use to re-establish an edge (chipped blade that needs fixin or re-profiling) or to "save" a blade that's been heavily used and is sharp as a marble. Also perfect for volume sharpening (batch of knives - kitchen, etc.)

2. Touch up and maintenence system; This is what you use in the field or general balde touch ups. Diamond sticks, Lansky system is fine for this also. You can use Lansky in hand as well. Other hand held stones, diamond plates, etc. work well for this. This is where the muscle memory comes in. Need to hold that blade at the same angle, both sides, throughout the stroke. You're not fixtured here so this is critical.

Good info, one question though.

I use an EZ lap diamond sharpener (credit card sized) and IMO it is great. Certainly a learning curve, but I can get all my blades sharp enough to shave my leg hair.

What direction are you supposed to run the blade? I typically lead with the edge, in a shaving motion. But i've seen others that lead with the dull side, or even those that drag the knife along the length of the blade (like a reverse stabbing motion).

A bit hard to explain without pictures, let me know if I'm making sense.