PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics - what does one need

hermosabeach
12-17-2012, 3:38 PM
After getting a sinus infection on a trip out of CONUS and paying $160 for a Doctors visit & 4 days of augmentin, I started to carry antibiotics in my shaving kit

I have Cipro for the glorious TD.

For your kits:
What do you have?
What does one use it for?
Where can one obtain it?

Librarian
12-17-2012, 3:46 PM
Self medication with antibiotics carries significant risks for the untrained.

See http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/antibiotics/antibiotics.html#v784778

See also the antibiotics chapter of http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/hesperian-no-doctor.pdf

StratORcaster
12-17-2012, 3:49 PM
.... and I hope you have 6 more days of Augmentin..

hermosabeach
12-17-2012, 3:57 PM
.... and I hope you have 6 more days of Augmentin..

Yeah- when I got back in the US, my doc called in a script for a full course of treatment.

I had intended on mentioning in my first post that the foreign doctor only gave me 4 days worth of a ten day treatment.

The concern- if one is cut on debris and normal MD / EMS are not available, what do people have?

delta9
12-17-2012, 4:16 PM
Yeah- when I got back in the US, my doc called in a script for a full course of treatment.

I had intended on mentioning in my first post that the foreign doctor only gave me 4 days worth of a ten day treatment.

The concern- if one is cut on debris and normal MD / EMS are not available, what do people have?

Augmentin has a relatively short shelf life - if you're worried about treating cuts and scrapes use some dilute Betadine or chlorhexadine solution

Flying Sig
12-17-2012, 4:36 PM
When I travel outside the US I carry Cipro, Z-PAC, Epi-Pen, and Tamiflu.

xgi1991
12-17-2012, 4:51 PM
When I travel outside the US I carry Cipro, Z-PAC, Epi-Pen, and Tamiflu.

Very good way to go, Cipro is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Just don't use yourself as a medical crash test dummy, do your research, get your training.

Manolito
12-17-2012, 5:41 PM
Please listen to the Librarian. This is one of the best advices I have read in CalGuns.

Talk to your Dr. he should write you a script for a broad spectrum antibiotic. Some work better on certain infections.

Cephalexin 500 mg 4 X a day orally
Augmentin 500 mg orally 3X a day
Ampicillin 1.5-3 grams iv every 6 hrs.Cefazolin 1 gram IV every 8 hrs (best)
Cefazolin 2 grams IVpbq 12 hrs (best)

This would probably be used for a broad spectrum like a gun shot. I am guessing the Dr. gave you this broad spectrum because he didn't have time to read the test results of what infection you had.

Every time one of us self treats and quits before the infection is dead we then pass on a resistant strain of the infection and as you have read some are so resistant today we have maybe two effective drugs left to treat them.

Good Luck and I hope the trip was better.

c good
12-17-2012, 6:03 PM
Please listen to the Librarian. This is one of the best advices I have read in CalGuns.

Talk to your Dr. he should write you a script for a broad spectrum antibiotic. Some work better on certain infections.

Cephalexin 500 mg 4 X a day orally
Augmentin 500 mg orally 3X a day
Ampicillin 1.5-3 grams iv every 6 hrs.Cefazolin 1 gram IV every 8 hrs (best)
Cefazolin 2 grams IVpbq 12 hrs (best)

This would probably be used for a broad spectrum like a gun shot. I am guessing the Dr. gave you this broad spectrum because he didn't have time to read the test results of what infection you had.

Every time one of us self treats and quits before the virus is dead we then pass on a resistant strain of the infection and as you have read some are so resistant today we have maybe two effective drugs left to treat them.

Good Luck and I hope the trip was better.

Antibiotic for a "Virus"? Really....you sounded good until this point......

Manolito
12-17-2012, 6:20 PM
I could have said bacterial infection or virus both having similar symptoms and without tests how would I determined virus over bacterial infection? My wording was incorrect I should have said infection. Thanks for pointing this out I will be more careful. Viruses can not be killed with antibiotics only secondary infections caused by viruses.

Sorry

Bill

twinfin
12-17-2012, 6:30 PM

If you're concerned about getting cut on debris, an understanding of proper wound care would benefit you much more. Prompt irrigation with copious amounts of potable water followed by covering with a sterile or very clean dressing along with other wound care techniques will carry you far.

Many wounds can be managed properly without ever needing to resort to antibiotics. Be very careful about self medicating. If you need to ask about dosage on the internet, you are probably not where you need to be yet in medical knowledge to properly utilise antibiotics which can cause life ending allergic reactions. Also, administering the wrong antibiotic can lead to delay in proper treatment.

Be very thoughtful about stocking up on antibiotics to treat anything outside of proper medical supervision. Even if you have to pay cash up front of $160 bucks to see a doctor, it's money well spent in that you'll likely get the right antibiotic at the right dose as well as a proper evaluation of your infection.

Not trying to rain on anybodies parade here, it's jus that I want you all to be safe and not get in over your head.

Norcalkid
12-17-2012, 6:39 PM
OK I'm not planning to stock up on antibiotics at this time because I don't really know how to safely use them. But when I do I will be looking into fish antibiotics.

Zedrek
12-20-2012, 6:03 PM
Don't forget Imodium for when the antibiotics make you crap yourself. Everyone is so quick to take an antibiotic for everything to the point that it's not going to be as likely to work when you really need it. Like others have said, wash the wound with clean water and bandage. Keep an eye on the wound and make sure the redness doesn't spread. Call a doctor!

castgold
12-20-2012, 7:31 PM
If you have a viral infection, the antibiotics you list will have little to no effect. If you are dealing with a proper bacterial infection, there is a long algorithm to follow if you don't have the ability to perform a culture and sensitivity (C&S) test to determine what exactly you are fighting. There are lots of questions that have to be considered if you are trying to prepare for anything that could happen.
Is it strep?
Is it Staph?
Is it Gram+?
Is it Gram-?
Is it aerobic?
Is it anaerobic?
Is it facultative anaerobic?
Fungal?
Spirochetes?
Is it a dermal wound?
Is it a mucosal wound?
Is there debris in the wound?
Did the surface of the offending object have any potential infectious goo that entered the wound site?
Can you control the bleeding?
Can you have a delayed-type hypersensitivity to the antibiotic?
If you get a DTH reaction, do you have a plan to manage it without the proper MD/EMT support?

In other words, if you don't know exactly what you are trying to treat, the risks of taking just any antibiotic can outweigh the potential benefit. I just pack some betadine, gauze, gloves, and lidocaine with sterile syringes. I have a Sched III DEA license to prescribe and I don't like taking chances, even with antibiotics.