PDA

View Full Version : An interesting view on the future of gun control

foxtrotuniformlima
12-17-2012, 3:03 PM
David Frum of CNN wrote a very interesting article.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/opinion/frum-leadership-newtown/index.html?hpt=us_mid

2 things stuck out.

1) Comparing the death from guns to the death from drunk driving. I think he nailed it. " Gun control should no more mean the abolition of guns than Mothers Against Drunk Driving abolished the car."

2) I think he gets the bigger picture. He made a statement that separates us from criminals and those who would choose to use a firearm against a human being for no reason. He said " ..... it's a free country, and gun ownership is one of the freedoms specifically cited in the Constitution. Responsible gun owners have a right to their guns."

stix213
12-17-2012, 3:06 PM
I especially like the part where he thinks gun insurance helps to solve the problem :facepalm:

speedrrracer
12-17-2012, 4:04 PM
They should be required to buy insurance against the harm done by wrongful use of their weapons, and if that insurance proves expensive -- well, too bad.

Yes, the poor have no right to defend themselves. Those dirty poor are always screwing everything up anyways. Probably welfare queens, so they deserve to die.

If you consider that article interesting, I submit you are interested in the wrong things

Wherryj
12-17-2012, 4:27 PM
David Frum of CNN wrote a very interesting article.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/opinion/frum-leadership-newtown/index.html?hpt=us_mid

2 things stuck out.

1) Comparing the death from guns to the death from drunk driving. I think he nailed it. " Gun control should no more mean the abolition of guns than Mothers Against Drunk Driving abolished the car."

2) I think he gets the bigger picture. He made a statement that separates us from criminals and those who would choose to use a firearm against a human being for no reason. He said " ..... it's a free country, and gun ownership is one of the freedoms specifically cited in the Constitution. Responsible gun owners have a right to their guns."

I think that you missed his bigger picture. In a nutshell, he was ONLY stating that Obama shouldn't jump in because that would kill off his Utopian scheme of an absolute gun ban. He's only arguing that someone should set up a "grass roots" group LIKE MADD to abolish guns the way she abolished drunk driving (or, sort of did-seems like some people STILL insist on violating that law).

Mulay El Raisuli
12-18-2012, 7:42 AM
Yes, the poor have no right to defend themselves. Those dirty poor are always screwing everything up anyways. Probably welfare queens, so they deserve to die.

If you consider that article interesting, I submit you are interested in the wrong things

Plus 1,000!

The Raisuli

SKSer
12-18-2012, 10:12 PM
um.... is it just me or did this guy completely forget the brady campain

Merovign
12-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Frum tweeted on the day:

Shooting at CT elementary school. Obviously, we need to lower the age limit for concealed carry so toddlers can defend themselves.

When criticized for the obvious crass attention-you-know-whatting, he replied:

And I’ll say: I’ll accept no lectures about “sensitivity” on days of tragedy like today from people who work the other 364 days of the year against any attempt to prevent such tragedies.

So, no, not that interesting, same old Frum.