PDA

View Full Version : Gen 1 night vision goggles any good

DBA Samsun
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
are gen 1 night vision goggles and scopes any good? they are tons cheaper than gen 3 or 4, just wondering how huge a diff. there is in them?

REDHORSE
08-11-2007, 12:54 PM
1st Gen not worth it IMHO, probably can see better with the naked eye, once your eye gets adjusted to the darkness.

Gen 2 are ok, they work even better with an IR light source.

I have 3rd Gen NV goggles (51LP) and they're amazing.

Desert Fox near Ft. Irwin. Without the NV, it was pitch black...no way in hell you would see the fox. Fur was perfect camouflage, but with NV it looks like day-glo. Picture taken through one of the eye pieces of the goggle with a digital camera. Really hard to align camera with the eye piece.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8011/desertfox4mt.jpg

bruce_ventura
08-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with Redhorse (and nice image of the fox!). Gen 1 goggles are just toys. To the untrained eye, they appear to offer enhanced night vision. The improvement over young, trained, and fully dark adapted eyes is small.

If your life or reputation depends on night vision, get a late model Gen III. AN/PVS-7 goggles are bulky but affordable because they have a single I2 tube and binocular viewer. Available with either Gen II or Gen III tubes for $2K-$4K (ouch).