PDA

View Full Version : Official Foresthill clean up site - "The Quary" Finning Mill Rd

Lazyme
12-17-2012, 2:41 PM
I recently visited one of my favorite spots to shoot and it was a disaster. The place is off of Finning Mill Rd in Foresthill, from Antelope it takes about an hour + to get there. I believe it is called "The Quary" and there is a ton of trash that can be hauled out of here. I can get a truck and some clean up tools, is there anyone else willing to help out with time and/or equipment?

Things I can provide -
(1) Truck
(2) Shovels
(1) Rake
Safety Vests
Coordinate dump service
Calguns gear for anyone who volunteers

__________________________________________________ _______

Here is what we are asking of you - Show up on January 19, 2013 bring yourself, whoever else you can dig up and any of the items listed below and give about 3-4 hours of your time. (If there is rain the backup date is Feb 2nd)

The meeting place will be where Finning Mill Road begins directly off of Foresthill Road. Check in here if you are interested and we will give official notices by PM a few weeks before the event. This is when we will finalize all the information like time and what everyone will be bringing.

Things Individuals can bring -
PPE- eye/ear protection, the rest will be provided.
Truck
Trailer
Tarp
Rope/tie downs
Wheel barrow
LARGE trash cans
Shovels
Rakes
Water
"Power" snacks: fruit, jerky, trail mix, etc.
Tables
Radios
Anybody with medical training or certified in CPR
Popups (if needed)

__________________________________________________ _______

I have contacted the forest service and most of the people are off until January 3rd. The information I did get is on my desk at work so I will have to add more info later. What I do know...

1. The Forrest Service does not get many volunteers and needs our help.

2. The Forrest Service requires everyone who volunteers to sign a waiver and go through a 10-15 min safety orientation. This makes sure everyone has workers comp insurance. Boots are also required, no sandals or tennies.

3. They will post signs letting people know we will be in the area to clean. This will let people know so they can come and help or so they can plan on shooting in another area. I have been told that they do not have it in the budget to completely close down the area but there is an alternate place to shoot that is a stones throw away from the area we will be focusing on.

4. We can use the local dump for the garbage but it is not in the budget for them to drop off a dumpster or "roll off". We will start with using the Foresthill Transfer station to dump at and as things progress we can look into containers.

5. The ranger may have a first aid kit in his truck and all participants are supposed to sign a form that he brings with him. The form is essentially saying we are working as volunteers for the forestry service for the day and this gives all signers medical insurance in case of an accident while working. (mentioned above but very important)

6. If there is something else that comes up like snow patrol the Rangers will not be on site during the clean up. They will do their best to coordinate with all local agencies but again...not in the budget.

Notice a theme here?? Low budget. One of the most beautiful places on Earth and there is no budget to keep it clean.

Things the Forrest service can provide
Hard Hats
Gloves
Trash bags
Free use of dump

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Tim

Jet Setter
12-17-2012, 3:10 PM
What date and time?

5511speed
12-17-2012, 4:19 PM
I have truck and tools let me know time and date

Lazyme
12-17-2012, 4:42 PM
Good question. The weather looks iffy for now and if the rain is too much then it floods.

I posted this because it is fresh on my mind and I would like to start seeing who is willing to help and what resources we can put together. Maybe there will be a dry weekend in January. For now I will have to jump on something and see if it works out when the 10 day forecast looks descent. If I end up going out alone I can still make a small dent.

Things I can supply -
A truck to haul trash
Rake & shovel
CalGuns gear for anyone who volunteers

Things we might need -
More trucks/trailers
More rakes & shovels
Trash bags
Water
Gloves
"Power" snacks: fruit, jerky, trail mix, etc.

Rockit
12-17-2012, 5:02 PM
If it's on a Sunday I can help.
I can bring a long bed truck, trash trailer and some kids to help.

Vepr 54R
12-17-2012, 5:06 PM
Are you talking about the "Quarry"?

http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.114229,-120.776868&spn=0.009323,0.023925&t=h&z=16

I would possibly be in, that place was a disaster the last time I went.

Lazyme
12-17-2012, 5:08 PM
That's the place. Never knew the official name.

5511speed
12-17-2012, 6:48 PM
Let me know when you go I'm in I have several rakes and shovels wheelbarrow

Scott

Vepr 54R
12-17-2012, 8:10 PM
would anyone be interested in setting up some permanent targets? I have tons of scrap wood at my shop. Someone would have to meet me there to haul it up.

Vepr 54R
12-17-2012, 8:13 PM
That's the place. Never knew the official name.

I only found out the name because a Placer Co Sherrif was writing me a ticket for riding my dirt bike on the road and asked me where I was parked. After I described it, he said "Oh the Quarry, where everyone trap shoots?"

XVIga_Rob
12-17-2012, 8:44 PM
Add my name to the list. I have a rake, shovel, gloves, a box of trash bags, rope, & PPE. I'll also bring a case of bottled water.

tiller
12-17-2012, 8:59 PM
If its on a sunday i can bring a couple extra hands to clean up... No truck though...

That place could use a good cleaning!

XVIga_Rob
12-17-2012, 8:59 PM
would anyone be interested in setting up some permanent targets? I have tons of scrap wood at my shop. Someone would have to meet me there to haul it up.

Are you talking about free standing target frames to be left there, or "permanent" target frames set in the ground? If "permanent", may need FS permission.

Lazyme
12-18-2012, 3:50 AM
Nothing is permanent out there. Some a-hole will come & tear them down or destroy them for fun.

Vepr 54R
12-18-2012, 6:48 AM
Nothing is permanent out there. Some a-hole will come & tear them down or destroy them for fun.

True, but we usually end up throwing away the wood anyway.

elhefe50ss
12-18-2012, 10:57 AM
When i have a truck and trailer and tools gotta be sat or sunday for me

tbhracing
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I have never shot there or even been there. But I would be interested in volunteering. Please keep me in the loop.

jemrey81
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
I am in if it's a Sunday, I love it up there... I don't have a truck, but I can bring some tools and bags as well. I haven't been to the quarry, I usually stop off before I make it that far in.

Loopwell
12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Im In, gotta truck. If anyone has a trailer I can tow for extra garbage no problem, that will be a significant help. Is there a landfill in Auburn?

Anti-Hero
12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm available, let me know when and what time. I'm just up the road from you.

BonnieB
12-18-2012, 1:15 PM
Here's a good basic checklist I've started building (based on the one in SoCal for the Glass Factory) on setting up a CGN Range Cleanup. I've also asked for another checklist from the CGN hierarchy and will update.

This list is designed for a really large clean up and may be overkill for Forest Hills Quarry. We will need to pick and choose things we need for a smaller cleanup.

OK, so I'm a project manager and I love checklists. But that's the way we get things done right. (For instance, I never thought about wheelbarrows until I read this).

If anyone has other items to add or questions, please post 'em and I'll update the list.

UPDATES are in Italics
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Preliminary date is ( fill in ) Plan for a rain-date ( fill in)

Forestry Service:

Set up a date with the Forestry Service and learn their rules. Ranger availability may drive the cleanup date.

(Ranger Name ) is our contact at our local forestry service. Will the Ranger come to the cleanups to help with closing down the range. We should contact him to be sure he is still willing and able.

Volunteers

Volunteers can usually work about 3-4 hours at most, including trash hauling.
Volunteers should be notified of the date, time and place to meet by PM, and not by announcing it in the thread, according to the SoCal clean-up veterans.
It is better to concentrate the volunteers in one area and get is totally clean, instead of letting them spread out and only get some of it.
Set up a rally point on an easy-to-locate paved road if possible, so we bring in the right number of vehicles to the range

Roll offs and trash removal: ( fill in who's responsible )

Coordinate with trash removal firms for donation of roll offs

Will the trash hauler drop off a dumpster, we fill it, then call them to exchange it or do they hang out or?

Or, locate a legal land fill and determine how to pay fees if any.

Size of the volunteer team is often dictated by how much trash we are allowed to dump or can afford to dump. Apparently 3-5 people working 3 hours can fill a normal dumpster.

Clean up equipment:

Shovels: (how many) ( person responsible )

Rakes: (how many) ( person responsible )

Wheelbarrows: (how many) ( persons responsible )

Popups: (how many) ( person responsible )

Tables: (how many) ( person responsible )

Radios?

Bullhorn?

Gloves

Dustmasks if needed

Heavy-duty trash bags?

Food/Drinks:

( person responsible ) can bring the BBQ, food and water.
( person responsible ) can also bring food and drinks to supplement.

Whether to Barbeque?

support crew to dole out water, snacks and do the cooking if it is a BBQ?
have a dedicated group to cook and keep water and other drinks cold and ready to go.

like the idea of a clean"Q"n'shoot but is there enough time in one day to do that?

how long the cleanup portion will take - 5 hours? 12 hours? Any ideas?
keep it as a clean’n’Q.

if we introduce a shoot, then it takes this into a whole new level of complexity.

Safety:

Liability? We are really just a bunch of citizens doing this, so how does it work with sponsorship from the CGN?

First Aid:

Who has training? Do we have a trained Paramedic? Who can bring a good kit?

The ranger may have a first aid kit in his truck and all participants are supposed to sign a form that he brings with him. The form is essentially saying we are working as volunteers for the forestry service for the day and this gives all signers medical insurance in case of an accident while working.

CGN/CGSSA vests? - for volunteer safety

Order some? (to borrow or for C3's to keep for future cleanups? Ask Pennys Dad

It would be nice to have a different color for the coordinators and the volunteers. Perhaps set up a chapter kit for future clean ups?

Prize give away

What do you guys think of a “drawing for a prize” for participating in the event.

( person responsible ) can handle the drawing. The better the raffle, the more participants we can have I think.

Not really looking for money for the raffle, looking for sponsorships and donations.

We can make the criteria that in order to receive raffle tickets, you must work for a minimum of four hours (and be present for the raffle at the end of the day? )

Publicity:

( person responsible ) would be responsible for a flyer (a good one exists), we can send it to most places as a .pdf, possibly print and drop off to local guns shops and sporting goods stores, etc.?

Media -For future cleanups, maybe.

Obtain several signs that says "Calguns cleaned up this range" (a good one exists). This will probably be trashed by morons after we leave, so we post another one.

Loopwell
12-18-2012, 1:51 PM
If you want to hunt squirrels with a 30-06, I guess that's fine, a little overkill can't hurt. We could never bring too much (man)power. Im not that familiar yet, but there are at least two main areas where people set up and shoot. Where we were at last Sunday there are some hazardous waste, like computer/electronics parts, paint buckets, water heaters, appliances, basketball stand, in addition to normal shooting items. Now I'm thinking a dumpster might be a good idea, there is enough trash to fill it for sure. Just a water heater alone will take up one pickup truckload. Although the dumpster bin will likely not get delivered on site, maybe to the closest paved road? Just some thoughts...

Lazyme
12-18-2012, 2:30 PM
I called the local ranger station to get some information and the person who usually answers questions is off today. I will call again tomorrow.

I have read some information that says we can use the local dump for free but a dumpster at the beginning of Finning Mill Rd would be amazing. If it isnt too much I will see what I can do about funding for the dumpster.

BonnieB
12-18-2012, 2:33 PM
If everyone who volunteers kicks in $ 1, that will help pay for dumping, if needed. I'll kick in $10, just because.

Other groups have asked the dumpster company to donate the delivery, use for one day and pickup of the dumpster.

PRSTIFJ
12-18-2012, 2:40 PM
Love to shoot here. Will be out there during the week after Christmas - weather permitting. More than happy to help out. Might be able to get a trailer. Other than that I can just bring some basic tools. Have a 4 Runner, so no hauling unless I get a trailer.

totenkopf
12-18-2012, 2:52 PM
i have a large truck that i could park and fill up. it will not make it across the creek and the mud pit next to the creek. also might be able to handle disposing of a lot of the junk. let me know when.

maybe reconsider talking to the ranger. we can police our own site.

Lazyme
12-18-2012, 2:57 PM
I am glad to see so many people want to help.

Thank you!

BonnieB
12-18-2012, 3:00 PM
I've been told that the Rangers are necessary, so they can officially close the sites to shooting. That's a safety issue and one I think is necessary. I can't think of a reason to exclude the Rangers on purpose. Am I missing something?

Lazyme
12-18-2012, 3:22 PM
If we are doing this as Calguns then the rangers need to be involved and we need to do it by the book.

Plus they can easily supply some resources that might be hard for us to furnish. I will know more tomorrow after I call again.

XVIga_Rob
12-18-2012, 8:20 PM
Im In, gotta truck. If anyone has a trailer I can tow for extra garbage no problem, that will be a significant help. Is there a landfill in Auburn?

My understanding is that in the town of Foresthill, there is a "refuge station" (dumpsters) that are available at no charge for disposal of trash picked up/collected in the NF (ohv trails, etc.). If someone contacts the ranger station in Foresthill, they should be able to confirm this.

Lazyme
12-18-2012, 8:51 PM
If someone contacts the ranger station in Foresthill, they should be able to confirm this.

I called the local ranger station to get some information and the person who usually answers questions is off today. I will call again tomorrow.

Looking into it...we don't need 50 people calling tomorrow. I know how Calgunners can do things at 110% and all...

NotEnufGarage
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Next three or four weekends are out of the question for me... Work, work, work.

Jester3
12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Final a date and I'll show. Have small pick up, tools, wheelbarrow, lotsa energy!

BonnieB
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Updated the checklist based on input from SoCal cleanup guru's. Additions in italics. No deletions.

Do we have someone coming who is paramedic trained? Or just well trained in First Aid. Someone to bring a good first aid kit?

Lazyme
12-20-2012, 2:32 PM
I talked some with the ranger station today. Most of the people in the office are off until January 3rd. I will post the information I got later tonight.

Lazyme
12-20-2012, 5:04 PM
Updated OP with good info.

If you are interested in helping leave a message here and we will include you on the PM we send out with all the really important info in a few weeks.

dynamomark80
12-22-2012, 7:50 AM
Ill will try to get the day off work so I can help.
Is this a cleanup only or can I shoot some too? not that I want to shoot while people are picking up trash but if we're done cleaning and its safe to shoot in the area it would be nice. Years ago I use to frequent the area quite a bit to camp and shoot. It was really nice then but over the last ten years some of the people visit and leave all sorts of stuff up there. Camping with my father taught my brother and I to always pack our garbage out and to use targets the are biodegradable or at least something that could be burned in the campfire like paper plates or crackers.

a lot of good memories where made there.
please keep me informed. if I cant get the day off work I could at least pitch in for snacks, drinks, or something for cleaning.

Lazyme
12-23-2012, 8:03 AM
Thanks for the help!!

Shooting after the event will be OK, I might even do a little. I'll use salteen crackers as my targets cause it sounds fun.

If you can't make it something like a case of water or rope/twine for securing our rubbish would be a great help.

latesvak
12-23-2012, 11:18 AM
So as of right now I can pencil it in due to me having twins being delivered the 2nd week in January . I would like to beable to help so well see how the dice roll.

Latesvak

PRSTIFJ
12-26-2012, 2:49 PM
Anyone know the conditions up there right now? Is it snowed in?

Vepr 54R
12-27-2012, 9:41 AM
Lets talk a little more about some permament targets. I have all the material to do it for free.

Does anybody have a problem with steel targets?

PRSTIFJ
12-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Lets talk a little more about some permament targets. I have all the material to do it for free.

Does anybody have a problem with steel targets?

steel out in the weather like that will require regular maintenance, painting, etc. I dont think anyone will do it.

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 11:08 AM
What type of steel? Depending on what type of steel the safest place to put them would be up in the tree line @ a few hundred yards.

And I will ask the forest service about adding a permanent structure, might be a no-no.

Vepr 54R
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
What type of steel? Depending on what type of steel the safest place to put them would be up in the tree line @ a few hundred yards.

And I will ask the forest service about adding a permanent structure, might be a no-no.

Not sure about the steel, regular carbon steel 1/2" and 1/4" thick

I hope they want something permanent, the reason that place got so trashed is because people bring their old washing machines and engine blocks to shoot. Then just leave them, if there was something better maybe the place would stay cleaner.

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 2:59 PM
I just talked to my boss and he is going to help out a little with things like safety vests and getting a dumpster as close to this place as possible. I hope they will drive down Finning Mill Rd so we don't have to drive 40min to the nearest dump.

Anti-Hero
12-27-2012, 3:11 PM
Has a date/time been decided yet?

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 3:41 PM
Yes, January 19th. Backup date of Feb 2nd if the first is rained out.

I am thinking of meeting at the beginning of Finning Mill Road about 8:00 and working until about 12ish. 3-4 hours of work is plenty for anyone who is choosing to volunteer.

Vepr 54R
12-27-2012, 4:58 PM
Yes, January 19th. Backup date of Feb 2nd if the first is rained out.

I am thinking of meeting at the beginning of Finning Mill Road about 8:00 and working until about 12ish. 3-4 hours of work is plenty for anyone who is choosing to volunteer.

I am coming from the Bay Area, so I will continue your efforts after 12.

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 6:02 PM
I'll probably be there until the dumpster is full.

I wonder how many yards of trash is out there...20, 30, or 40 yards?

Should I get a dumpster for trash & recycle?

dynamomark80
12-27-2012, 6:56 PM
If everyone who volunteers kicks in $ 1, that will help pay for dumping, if needed. I'll kick in $10, just because.

well I hope to go but I can pitch in money too. Im not to sure my lil Ford Focus could make it down the hill to the stream area. Off-roading in a compact isn't to fun. I may have to hitch a ride from top of the hill if someone would be so kind :D or I could hike down :(

BonnieB Im in your other thread about the new years day shoot at The Gun Range so if I make it to that Im sure we can all talk more about this and I can fork over some cash to help with dumping and what not.

Edit: Who is in charge of this cleanup?

Loopwell
12-27-2012, 7:30 PM
Im in for the 19th contingent on weather of course. I can bring the following:

One short bed pickup truck
If no one has a trailer, I think we can rent one for like $50 out the door per day.
Two tables
one canopy

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 7:48 PM
well I hope to go but I can pitch in money too. Im not to sure my lil Ford Focus could make it down the hill to the stream area. Off-roading in a compact isn't to fun. I may have to hitch a ride from top of the hill if someone would be so kind :D or I could hike down :(

BonnieB Im in your other thread about the new years day shoot at The Gun Range so if I make it to that Im sure we can all talk more about this and I can fork over some cash to help with dumping and what not.

Edit: Who is in charge of this cleanup?

Carpool shouldn't be a problem, I can make a few trips from the top of the hill if needed. Well worth the gas.

Right now the most important thing we will need is help, if you can bring a few tools like a rake or shovel that would be great...or whatever you can fit in a focus. Water and snacks would also be great, take a look at the list I got going in the OP and grab some ideas.

I am in charge of this clean up but if you see Bonnie feel free to talk to her about what's going on, I will talk to her in the next few days to catch up and get her all the info. If you have anything to drop off or donate PM me and we can get organized.

Also, I'm thinking if putting together a kit to leave at the forest station for whoever wants to go out and clean. Rakes, shovels, large trash cans or anything that will make life easier for a clean up crew so if anyone has a few extra items laying around let me know and I can keep it all together for the time being.

Thanks for the help!!

Im in for the 19th contingent on weather of course.

Thanks boss!

Lazyme
12-27-2012, 7:58 PM
If you are attending this shoot, please, start leaving a list of what you can bring or contribute. I can meet you around town to pick stuff up and start getting a list together to make sure we have everything.

Also, PM me if you would like a beanie or a shirt. If you want a shirt let me know your size so I can make sure everyone is covered.

Vepr 54R
12-27-2012, 8:06 PM
Magnetic pick up tool, garbage bags, rope, truck (Ranger), personal PPE, may bring rake and shovel if I can find them at my work.

(maybe some targets to leave there?)

I am a size XL if you are still there when I get there.

troutbum54
12-27-2012, 9:13 PM
Has anyone been up there lately? I've heard that Foresthill has had snow and if they have, where you're going is even higher up. Might need some crowbars or such to pry stuff out of frozen ground. I'd like to go if we can access it ok.

Lazyme
12-28-2012, 5:14 AM
Not sure about the conditions right now, I am planning on going up there after January 3rd when all the Ranger station staff are back to work.

When I was up there a few weeks ago the ground at the quarry was fine but there was some snow on the way in but not enuf to worry. Maybe a 1/4 mile of dirt road had a 1/4 inch of snow.

Hopefully the skies don't open up and dump 6' of snow up there.

Beaugart
01-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I live up in that area, about 2 minutes from the ranger station. There has been a ton of snow up there lately. I'm not sure how much at Finning Mill but it may be as much as a couple feet of snow now.

I've never shot at that particular spot, but would be willing to help with cleanup if it's a date/time I can accomodate. That being most Saturday afternoons or Sundays. Have truck, wheel barrow, rakes, shovels, etc. and know where the transfer station is for the junk.

I'm busy tonight but I could run up to that side of town tomorrow afternoon and check on conditions if you don't get the info you need from the rangers.

Lazyme
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
If you could keep an eye on Finning Mill Rd that would be a huge help. Maybe run up there tomorrow and then again a few days before the event if conditions are questionable.

Lazyme
01-03-2013, 7:37 PM
Hey all,
We are having an open meeting for anyone who feels like volunteering. Details below.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=670283

We will also be having a dedicated meeting for the clean up on January 16th before the event (if the snow doesn't keep us away). Any snow updates?

Hvac_dude
01-03-2013, 8:41 PM
I am new to Calguns but I shoot at Foresthill quite a bit. I am working that Saturday but if it gets rescheduled due to rain, I will try to make it.

Synergy
01-04-2013, 12:12 AM
I shoot in Foresthill and TNF often, I live down the hill and we have had a cold, wet winter. I would bet many spots have snow. Anyone been down Foresthill divide in the last few days?

Lazyme
01-04-2013, 4:16 AM
No reports yet. If nobody chimes in I'm thinking of making a quick trip up there today or this weekend to see what everything looks like.

I know the snow can take over real quick up there...I hope we don't get snowed out!?!?

Beaugart
01-04-2013, 7:37 AM
Went up to Finning Mill last night after work and there is about 4" of snow in that area. There is no snow removal on that road but a trail has been blazed. It looks like it is passable but 4 wheel drive will be a must. The road was rough enough that I decided to wait until sometime during daylight to go in farther and check it out, and maybe take another truck with me. I should be able to make it up there this weekend during the day and hopefully make it out to the range to see what it looks like.

dynamomark80
01-04-2013, 8:51 AM
4" never hurt anyone :)
Im putting in for the day off from work and an early day off for the meeting next week. Hopefully everything is good to go on my part. Hope to see you all soon.

BonnieB
01-04-2013, 4:34 PM
Well, if you can't see the ground and the ground is frozen, it seems pretty hard to do a cleanup, except of computers and tv's. No?

Lazyme
01-04-2013, 4:38 PM
If there is 4" at the top of the dirt road there might be no snow @ the spot. Might...

dynamomark80
01-04-2013, 10:48 PM
well cross our fingers for some fair weather

Loopwell
01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
We will definitely have to watch the weather. There's supposed to be a bit of snow this weekend, I dont know what the forecast is for the next couple weeks, but it all depends on that. There could be 4" today, but maybe a foot in two weeks. We'll have to see!

Lazyme
01-05-2013, 5:12 AM
We might be able to clean a few of the lower elevation spots along the way if the snow gets too thick. It would be a good practice run for the big clean up when the access is better.

I need to find some time to run up there and do some more exploring.

Beaugart
01-07-2013, 7:38 AM
As of this weekend the range is accessible. Any vehicle should be able to get to the turn-off into the range but it will be 4x4 only from there. The range itself had 4-6 of patchy snow on it.

Lazyme
01-09-2013, 4:15 AM
Having a little meeting tonight for anyone who wants to volunteer or just stop by and say hello.

Who: Anyone who likes to shoot and wants to get involved in community activities.
What: Meet some good people and share your ideas.
Where: Round Table Pizza
When: 7:00PM
Why: Keeping our 2A rights alive for the future.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=670283

Cslacko
01-10-2013, 7:59 AM
Thanks for putting this together. I bring big trash bags each time I shoot in Forrest Hill. There's always big stuff that I can't take away. There's probably snow up there this morning!
Please PM me with any details or if you reschedule it.

Lazyme
01-10-2013, 8:59 AM
UPDATE***

There arent many people working for the Forest Service right now so they are having trouble finding staff to do the 10-15 min safety orientation required to get volunteers on the workers comp insurance. (There is also a form for volunteers to fill out, I will PM later today)

Part of me thinks we turn this weekend into a shoot and if we happen to pick up more trash than we came with...I don't see how that could hurt anyone.

I am still in talks with the Forest Service and it looks like clean ups in this area will become a regular thing, when the weather is good.

After lunch I should have more info and will send everyone checking in a PM...stay tuned.

PRSTIFJ
01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
UPDATE***

There arent many people working for the Forest Service right now so they are having trouble finding staff to do the 10-15 min safety orientation required to get volunteers on the workers comp insurance. (There is also a form for volunteers to fill out, I will PM later today)

Part of me thinks we turn this weekend into a shoot and if we happen to pick up more trash than we came with...I don't see how that could hurt anyone.

I am still in talks with the Forest Service and it looks like clean ups in this area will become a regular thing, when the weather is good.

After lunch I should have more info and will send everyone checking in a PM...stay tuned.

I would definitely get someone up there a couple days before and make sure there isnt too much snow. I was up there the friday after christmas and there was too much snow ice to do a clean up. You wouldnt even be able to see all the stuff to pick up.

Lazyme
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Weather says clear for the next 10 days...we all know how that can turn out though.

Again, I am thinking of calling this a shoot and we can just pick up more trash than we came with. Kinda like a soft start before we go all out.

If we can't get all the way to the quarry there are plenty of small spots along the way that need people to take a little more home than they came with.

I'll be in the forest on the 19th one way or another!! Just hope me & Loopwell aren't the only two crazies out there again.

elhefe50ss
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
DONT BET ON IT

PRSTIFJ
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Weather says clear for the next 10 days...we all know how that can turn out though.

Again, I am thinking of calling this a shoot and we can just pick up more trash than we came with. Kinda like a soft start before we go all out.

If we can't get all the way to the quarry there are plenty of small spots along the way that need people to take a little more home than they came with.

I'll be in the forest on the 19th one way or another!! Just hope me & Loopwell aren't the only two crazies out there again.

If its anything like last a couple weeks ago than 4wd is a must for getting to the actual quarry. the little creek crossing was a bit deep for non-lifted trucks too. It wasnt terribly hard getting there just was too much snow on the ground to even see the garbage.

Lazyme
01-10-2013, 1:45 PM
If its anything like last a couple weeks ago than 4wd is a must for getting to the actual quarry. the little creek crossing was a bit deep for non-lifted trucks too. It wasnt terribly hard getting there just was too much snow on the ground to even see the garbage.

I am pretty sure this will be an adventure.

XVIga_Rob
01-11-2013, 8:06 PM

From clean-up to adventure.....I like it!

dynamomark80
01-11-2013, 8:30 PM

should I bring my decoder ring and treasure map?

Lazyme
01-12-2013, 5:35 AM
I'm picturing a scene from the Goonies...but with snow.

I blew off work and went up there Yesterday, there is big stuff that is visible, maybe a few truck beds full of mangled steel & plywood. I stepped in a puddle of nasty paint hiding in the snow, got all over my shoe & pant leg...some people.

I got tons of pics, I will load & post them soon.

dynamomark80
01-12-2013, 6:58 AM
I'm picturing a scene from the Goonies...but with snow.

I blew off work and went up there Yesterday, there is big stuff that is visible, maybe a few truck beds full of mangled steel & plywood. I stepped in a puddle of nasty paint hiding in the snow, got all over my shoe & pant leg...some people.

I got tons of pics, I will load & post them soon.

one of the last times I was up there some guy laid out bottles for targets. pissed me off because I only use clays or biodegradable targets (paper targets, crackers, paper plates) and I still always clean up the area before leaving. My brother and I waited till he left and cleaned up after him. I wonder if there is a way to report people for this crap. I have looked into giving "citizen citations" out but havent done enough homework to go through with it. It would be nice to give someone a ticket littering the area.

Lazyme
01-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Handing out tickets to people with guns is probably best for the rangers to do.

Unfortunately, the best thing we can do is schedule pick ups and clean up after people like this.

Lazyme
01-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Handing out tickets to people with guns is probably best for the rangers to do.

Unfortunately, the best thing we can do is schedule pick ups and clean up after people like this.

BonnieB
01-13-2013, 2:07 PM
How about a friendly "We can help when you're ready to clean up" suggestion to people who shoot at glass. Lets them know they're being watched.

I wonder how many children and animals find that glass the hard way? I stepped on a broken coke bottle under water at the beach, when I was a kid and got 20 stitches and an hysterical mother. Clearly some moron lobbed it into the water when he was done with it and it shattered. On the children's beach, no less.

These things piss me off big time.

Trapper
01-13-2013, 7:34 PM
Drove down Finning Mill Rd this afternoon and wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have 4wd and good tires. Several slick areas where the snow melted then frozen again.

Loopwell
01-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Drove down Finning Mill Rd this afternoon and wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have 4wd and good tires. Several slick areas where the snow melted then frozen again.

Im a bit concerned about that as well. WIth the clear forecast for the week, and still snow up there, the temperatures are going to remain below freezing at night, while the afternoon will allow a little bit snow to melt, and re-freezing over again. I have mud tires on my truck, but only 1/4" tread at most.

Lazyme
01-14-2013, 9:09 AM
Hey all,
A few things are making me want to push this off for a little while. First, I had a close family member pass away and I am dealing with that. Second, I went up to the Quarry Friday to clear my mind when I found out about this family member. There was a good ammount of snow in some spots. I can see the warm days and freezing nights causing major problems for anyone not 100% prepared for ice. I made it with my Rav4 but there wasnt much ice yet, just really really hard snow. I slid around a little bit and can imagine it getting much worse in a week.

Here are some pics of Friday.

Here is the enterance to Finning Mill Road.
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/5340/entranced.jpg

Some light snow.
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/5324/004dvp.jpg

Don't make a wrong turn.
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/1328/becareful.jpg

Water crossing...almost there.
http://imageshack.us/a/img717/8069/024plb.jpg
Same water on the way out.
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/5287/049ft.jpg

And mud holes.
http://imageshack.us/a/img203/7659/047ms.jpg

Lazyme
01-14-2013, 9:12 AM
Here is the area that needs some cleaning. There is much more hidden below the snow. I can believe I forgot my jacket...onlly had a short sleve shirt. Oops.
http://imageshack.us/a/img248/6042/037tk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/6650/032md.jpg

and another place for people to soot while we clean...eventually.
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/3237/050ao.jpg

sharxbyte
01-14-2013, 9:16 AM
This is the same date as the sac protest...

Interested in helping out, put me on the list

Lazyme
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Probably should put this on pause until the road isn't covered in sheets of ice.

Whoever thinks the protest is important should attend.

Those who dont believe in protests should be at the range telling people about Calguns.net and CGSSA.

SacTown
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Tagged. I'm taking the written part of the CHP cadet hiring process the 19th but am still interested in helping if the date changes and for future cleanups.

Hvac_dude
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm all for waiting for some of the snow to melt. Plus I work this Saturday and I want to help. I have a 4wd Chevy silverado 1500 lifted 4 inches but The tires are in rough shape. Any way to get a few "please clean up your mess when done shooting" signs or would it be a lost cause?

Beaugart
01-14-2013, 3:33 PM
Lazyme, looking at your first pics there it looks like you're going about getting there the hard way. The same thing I did the first time. If you go from the other end, taking the road towards sugarpine reservoir, the quarry is only a mile or so from a paved and plowed road.

Vepr 54R
01-14-2013, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, did you hear anything about leaving some steel targets there?

Lazyme
01-14-2013, 7:07 PM
Lazyme, looking at your first pics there it looks like you're going about getting there the hard way. The same thing I did the first time. If you go from the other end, taking the road towards sugarpine reservoir, the quarry is only a mile or so from a paved and plowed road.

This I did not know. Wish I did. How much longer is the trip? Do you drive past Finning Mill Road and so to Sugar Pine Road? That looks like it is a long trip up and around.

Google maps is scary...looks like there are tons of 4x4 trails all over this area, probably 50 ways to get here.

Thanks for the heads up, did you hear anything about leaving some steel targets there?

Heard nothing about steel targets, most of the Forest Service is laid off at the moment. When the snow melts and everyone comes back to work I'll know more.

Loopwell
01-14-2013, 8:49 PM
I saw that route on google maps as well, but I dont know if sugar pine is maintained or not. I know sugar pine rd is paved throughout...but so is mormon emigrant trail in el dorado national forest, and they dont maintain the road in the winter past lake jenkinson. Beaugart would know more on this. Its a longer way but I would imagine only a mile or two from there to the quarry would be easier on the suspension.

XVIga_Rob
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
I would agree that access from Sugar Pine Rd. would be easier. See the following map (Foresthill OHV Trail system map). Trail #4 passes through a portion of the quarry area.
http://dan.prxy.org/Motorcycles/Forest_Hill/Forest_Hill.htm

Also, I agree with pushing this off until the roads are in better shape. If I remember correctly, there are markers for snow plows along Sugar Pine Rd. Seems a few of us are cheap sob's, spending money on new guns, ammo, etc, etc, vs buying new tires for our rig's. I've been milking the tires on my Jeep waaay tooo long. :rolleyes:

Lazyme
01-15-2013, 6:56 AM
Great Map, thank you!

dynamomark80
01-15-2013, 1:44 PM
yes there is two was to the trail leading down.

i saw those epics and my nether region shrunk. With my brother and dad, I camped down there right by the quarry just a stone throw away from the stream. We didnt want to bath in snow run-off but after a few day we stunk so bad we had too. We all jump (waded in) nutz deep into the cold as can be water. It wasn't all that pleasant but we were able to stay out for a few more days without the smell.

good times

Lazyme
01-15-2013, 2:52 PM
I just talked with the Forest Service again to let them know we will be doing the big clean on a later date.

The lady who I have been dealing with is ecstatic that there are people willing to help clean up after those who don't. There is a huge opportunity for Calgunners to step up and represent our shooting community in a positive light with a little sweat & elbow grease.

I love the snow but I can't wait for it to go away!!

timmytoast916
01-15-2013, 3:39 PM
I live in Folsom and grew up riding the trails of Foresthill on dirtbikes since I was about 5 or so. I am in to help with a clean up in that area. When I lived in AZ for a few years, I would always bring back some garbage from the desert after shooting out there. We have to keep our open shooting areas clean if we want to keep them.

TAS
01-15-2013, 4:03 PM
When the snow clears and you reschedule, let me know. If I'm available, I would be more than happy to help. I've never shot up there but have ridden the OHV trails in the area and would like to see it clean again. I can offer a truck, shovels/rakes, garbage cans, & a wheel barrow.

Beaugart
01-15-2013, 4:36 PM
You do have to wind around on sugarpine road a little to get there, but not nearly as bad winding around on Finning Mill road. They keep sugarpine rd plowed because it is the access to Iowa Hill.

If anyone still has a hankering to go up to the quarry for some shooting I'll be heading up there Saturday afternoon or during the day Monday, or both.

Hvac_dude
01-15-2013, 8:02 PM
When I camp up there I usually take Sugarpine and turn left onto Finning mill. It is a lot easier on the suspension even though it seems they flattened the surface a bit. Id say its maybe an additional 10 mins max but well worth it imo. I have an old truck with crappy suspension.

timmytoast916
01-15-2013, 8:51 PM
You do have to wind around on sugarpine road a little to get there, but not nearly as bad winding around on Finning Mill road. They keep sugarpine rd plowed because it is the access to Iowa Hill.

If anyone still has a hankering to go up to the quarry for some shooting I'll be heading up there Saturday afternoon or during the day Monday, or both.

Any idea what the weather is supposed to be like there that day?

Lazyme
01-16-2013, 3:54 AM
I would love to go and have some fun still...and check out some new roads.

Weather channel says -

Sunshine with highs in the upper 50s
Winds from the ENE
Precipitation 0%
Humidity 47%

Beaugart
01-17-2013, 9:49 AM
Any idea what the weather is supposed to be like there that day?

60 Deg and clear skies for Saturday is what they're saying right now.

Beaugart
01-17-2013, 9:56 AM
If you want to pick a time Saturday afternoon we can meet you at Wortons and show you the easy way in.

Lazyme
01-17-2013, 5:03 PM
HMMM...the wife is going out of town next week so now that the clean up is off it looks like I have plans.

If you go up there take some pictures or write us up a good range report if you have some spare time.

XVIga_Rob
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm going to head up for a couple hrs (need to try out x-mas present). Probably arrive at the quarry area around 10~11am.

Loopwell
01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
I told my wife the cleanup is postponed, so she made plans to go out of town. Im gonna be alone with my kid for the day.

dynamomark80
01-18-2013, 9:11 PM
my brother and I are planning to be up there on Monday morning-ish
he has the 4x4 Titan so I dont have to worry about beating my lil Focus to death

XVIga_Rob
01-19-2013, 6:47 PM
I was up there today and the weather was great! The roads (Foresthill, Sugar Pine, & the lower end of Finning Mill) are clear. The lower end of Finning Mill and the road down to the creek are muddy! No real snow (other than in some shady area's) down at the quarry area.

It was a little busy. Quite a few people shooting in a number of places. Some of which really concern me as a trail rider. Fortunatly, the trails are closed this time of year.

I saw a few appliances (tv's, computer monitors, vcr's, etc that need to be removed. Other than that, some plywood target backers, paper targets and a lot of shotgun shells, brass, & ammo boxes.

tiller
01-19-2013, 9:44 PM
I too was up there today!! Was a beautifull day to shoot!! Would have been the perfect day for a clean up

Loopwell
01-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I guess much of the snow has melted. Since I had the kid, I wouldnt have been able to come up. Maybe next weekend we could plan a shoot contingent on weather and conditions, and bring back a lot more garbage than we brought?

Lazyme
01-20-2013, 4:08 AM
I too was up there today!! Was a beautifull day to shoot!! Would have been the perfect day for a clean up

:facepalm:

We should have gone through with it!!! I'll bet it was beautiful up there. Everyone seemed to agree better safe than sorry though.

I guess much of the snow has melted. Since I had the kid, I wouldnt have been able to come up. Maybe next weekend we could plan a shoot contingent on weather and conditions, and bring back a lot more garbage than we brought?

If anyone is heading into the hills bringing back more than you came with will be a huge help. Garbage from the forest is free to dump at the transfer station in Foresthill but they usually like a little notice if you will be bringing in forest trash.

Beaugart
01-21-2013, 8:16 AM
It was beautiful up there Sunday. We decided to go while the game was on in the hopes it wouldn't be too crowded and it worked out nice. It's pretty messy but not a whole lot of large junk there so just a few truckloads would probably do it. The best part of the afternoon, we brought my sons buddy and his dad out with us. They had a blast, got hooked on skeet shooting, and are on their way to the gun store.

dynamomark80
01-21-2013, 8:29 PM
I was up there today and it was a mess. we made a small burn pile for wood and paper but left a few piles of plastic and metal. so many shotgun shells on the ground. mostly small rubbish like paper, bottles, and beer cans but i saw a few large items too. the road in was slick but not that bad and there wasnt much snow at the quarry.

sharxbyte
01-21-2013, 9:11 PM
Still up for cleaning, You have my info lazyme :)

Loopwell
01-21-2013, 9:38 PM
Is Feb 2 still going to happen? If the conditions are good, I would like to shoot and do some clean up myself if nothing is formally organized.

Lazyme
01-22-2013, 4:17 AM
The 2nd is the date for my Grandma's celebration of life and I have to move that weekend. Count me out.

If anyone could do an informal shoot and clean that would be amazing. Post it up here and I will see what I can do about getting supplies for whoever wants to get their hands dirty.

Vepr 54R
01-25-2013, 6:20 PM
I may go up there tomorrow, I am getting my M&P45 out of jail in Sac and may run up there afterword.

I may also check out the Auburn gun show, anyone been there? Is it worth it?

Noisy77
01-31-2013, 9:07 PM
If there is going to be some activity on this on the 2nd, I would love to come help out. Have a bad back so my help may be physically less, but I would love to do what I can to help. Hopefully this keeps moving forward.

nickthegreat
02-11-2013, 9:40 PM
hey i am new to this form and used to shoot at that spot all the time. i stopped going up there as people stopped respecting the place. i will definatlly come up next time.

nickthegreat
02-11-2013, 9:41 PM
forum*

Loopwell
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I would like to get this cleanup moving again. Does anyone know the status of the forest service availability in the coming weeks or months? My weekends are starting to get booked with kids' birthdays, a wedding, etc... I want to be a part of this cleanup and get started with planning! I won't be available the weekend of the Feb 23rd, March 2nd, or the 9th. After that I hope to be more available.

If nothing is planned in the meantime, I will post here when I am otherwise available to go shooting up there, and we can fill up at least one shortbed full of garbage to dispose of.

Lazyme
02-12-2013, 6:26 AM
I would like to get this thing going again also!!

I am almost done moving and then I can come back to the wonderful world of Calguns and getting this clean up going in the right direction again.

A small update...I have vests with Calguns.net & CGSSA logos on them to keep us safe and let people know we are from Calguns and not the California Department of Corrections. THANKS CALGUNS!

Mpuggie2
02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Can we just go there and just clean a little? I have never been there but would like to go there and do some shooting and spend 30 minutes cleaning. If everyone did that that place would get clean and stay cleaner year round. Just a thought.

XVIga_Rob
02-25-2013, 8:48 PM
Yes, and it is the right thing to do!

5511speed
02-25-2013, 9:02 PM
Let me know when it's a go I'm available, I have tools and truck

Samwell
02-26-2013, 3:47 PM
I can help. I have truck, trailer, and tools if needed.

av8erprince
03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I live in the area. Never been to this spot. Can someone tell me how to get there? I'd like to swing by, take a look around, target practice a little, and pick up as much trash as I can on my way out, i.e. mine plus as much additional I can. Maybe we all should just do this - that way the cleanup process will start. will be slow, but it's better than doing nothing. Thanks.

guns4funca
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I would agree that access from Sugar Pine Rd. would be easier. See the following map (Foresthill OHV Trail system map). Trail #4 passes through a portion of the quarry area.
http://dan.prxy.org/Motorcycles/Forest_Hill/Forest_Hill.htm

Also, I agree with pushing this off until the roads are in better shape. If I remember correctly, there are markers for snow plows along Sugar Pine Rd. Seems a few of us are cheap sob's, spending money on new guns, ammo, etc, etc, vs buying new tires for our rig's. I've been milking the tires on my Jeep waaay tooo long. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the map. Have you ever camped at mouring star? How far is it from the range? Let us know thanks again.

Lazyme
03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
^^^this is a great map and if you do a search for Foresthill OHV map there is a lot of stuff that pops up.

I live in the area. Never been to this spot. Can someone tell me how to get there? I'd like to swing by, take a look around, target practice a little, and pick up as much trash as I can on my way out, i.e. mine plus as much additional I can. Maybe we all should just do this - that way the cleanup process will start. will be slow, but it's better than doing nothing. Thanks.

I have been moving and getting the new house ready for summer so this little project got de-railed for the moment. If everyone reading this could take a trip and pick up a little that would be a HUGE help.

It does amaze me how many people are OK with taking their trash out here and leaving it when they are done filling it full of holes. Keeping this and other public areas clean is going to be an uphill battle for sure.

Stay Tuned...Ill be back in action and planning this party soon.

Beaugart
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the map. Have you ever camped at mouring star? How far is it from the range? Let us know thanks again.

Shirttail Creek and Giants Gap campgrounds at Sugarpine Reservoir are good, and very close to the quarry.

rocker
03-09-2013, 7:32 AM
I have a trailer and am willing to help too! Count me in!! Thanks

rocker
03-09-2013, 7:35 AM
:grilling:

Jester3
03-09-2013, 3:19 PM
I'm still up for the clean- up. Keep me in the loop!

dave86
03-13-2013, 9:42 AM
Please add me to the notification list. I need to get out more often

Loopwell
04-29-2013, 9:22 PM
Bump to reopen interest. Im willing to rent a trailer for the day. Lets see if we could do this before it gets too hot.

Jester3
04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Ready when the rest of you are! Some weekends for me are already booked so give some advance notice and directions to EXACTLY where the cleanup going to take place. Thanks!

Hvac_dude
04-30-2013, 5:40 AM
Still wanting to do this as well.

Loopwell
04-30-2013, 8:10 PM
How's the weekend of the 11th/12th of May. Which day works better for you guys? A new thread is soon to come for a smaller scale clean-up. The major clean-ups go as far as getting Forest Service actively involved and heavy equipment.

I will let you know...

Lazyme
05-01-2013, 5:34 AM
Thanks Loopwell!!

I think since starting this thread people have been picking it up little by little and that's amazing. To kick off this summer with a bang the best thing to do it get a group of people together to shoot for a little while and pick up during cease fire or at the end of the day.

If there is a lot left out there when you are all done we can plan a bigger event accordingly.

You also might want to send a PM to all who have expressed interest in this thread. Let them know something is getting planned just in case they don't check in here a lot.

Loopwell
05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Mini Clean-Up set. If no one else shows, at least I'm going! this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=756277)

Come out, I'd love to meet other locals!

teetsjones
05-04-2013, 7:25 PM
I can't make the mini clean up but hopefully the next.

Loopwell
05-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I can't make the mini clean up but hopefully the next.

No Problem, there WILL be a next one for sure.

Beaugart
05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Some bad news about this shooting spot.

http://yubanet.com/regional/Tahoe-NF-Foresthill-District-Field-Sampling-in-Marall-Chrome-Mine-Area.php#.UZK147XvvIs

michaelthetrojan
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM

http://yubanet.com/regional/Tahoe-NF-Foresthill-District-Field-Sampling-in-Marall-Chrome-Mine-Area.php#.UZK147XvvIs

not necessarily bad news

Loopwell
05-16-2013, 9:49 AM

Well lets hope the place remains safe and useable, and doesn't stay closed for too long. Thanks for this update. Looks like we may have to coordinate the next cleanup here with NFS to be sure we don't do it the same time.

n2stackin
05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Nice job, guys. Looks good.

I've always enjoyed that spot. Too bad the yahoos ruin it with their trash. :/

Been apprehensive about posting directions for fear that more of them would find it. lol

Loopwell
08-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Anyone know of the conditions of the Finning Mill area due to the American Fire? My guess is that if the air quality in Auburn is like Beijing, then the forest is unhealthy to breathe and probably inaccessible.