View Full Version : Is the NRA assisting in BlackwaterOps defense? Any representatives here?

08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Is the NRA assisting in BlackwaterOps defense? How about the CGA?

Any representatives of either organization able to say whether assistance has been offered?

08-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Good question. It's time for the rubber to hit the road and show the NRA detractors that the NRA cares about California.

08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
NRA members should call the NRA and ask.

08-15-2007, 11:25 PM
The best way to make this happen is to contact the NRA and ask them to do something about it. If enough noise amoungst the community is made, then action is inevetible.

08-26-2007, 12:10 PM
NRA members should call the NRA and ask.

Works for me everytime.:) Good guys IMO.

08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
What about non-NRA members who are curious about this as well? Id really be interested to find out who and how much support is being offered/given by the firearms rights .orgs .

08-26-2007, 2:19 PM
better yet join the nra then ask!

08-26-2007, 2:35 PM
Please do remember that NRA is not your personal legal insurance company. Expecting otherwise is unrealistic - you want *what* for your $30/year membership beyond the magazine?

If it did offer such a 'service', your membership dues would be at least ~$1500/year or more in California.

First and foremost, the NRA is a political advocacy group run - at its core - mostly by volunteers, with a thin layer of headquarters staff and a few folks per region or state.

I think "interesting" cases that are totally 'clean' and present achievable/ winnable goals, don't cause problems elsewhere (say, compromising other valid cases for the sake of 1 specific case) and lead to clear outcomes may get some support, either under or over the table, with the intensity of the support varying according to strategic goals. I believe there are some cases that have had NRA support that we don't know about. NRA's lawyers at Trutanich-Michel also have on occasion offered significant consulting help to other attorneys in certain matters and I am not sure if a bill was sent. (The 'swimmingpoolguy' OLL matter was one such incident.)

The above statement is in no way an official NRA position, just a reasonable supposition on my part. My statement above should also be regarded as in no way being a reflection upon the validity. or lack thereof, of anyone's defense to pending charges, and should also not be used to infer the existence of any other issues in any particular individual's case: it is made generically and not in reference to *any* ongoing matters.

I will say that in cases where there could well be significant NRA interest - and where the person charged/indicted etc. (or his/her attorneys or representatives!) takes public positions contrary to experienced NRA legal guidance - there is little likelihood of support except possibly for disaster avoidance. [Think Siliviera and Gary Gorski, etc. and then extrapolate from there.] The NRA is not gonna support someone who kicks them (and their membership) in the teeth, or who wants to fight a case in totally the wrong way (i.e, making 2nd Amendment claims in CA).

And if your're in blatant violation of a law (illegal CCW, misuse of firearm, completely illegal AW, full auto, etc), that's simply your issue to dig yourself out of. The above discussion really only relates to issues of unlawful enforcement, lack of knowledge of laws by LEOs, conflict of laws/regulations with other laws, etc. NRA is not, and cannot be, Big Momma's Free Lawyer Service for Screwups.

08-26-2007, 3:00 PM
Thank you for your honest, well thought and straight forward answer Bwiese.

08-27-2007, 2:39 PM
well shoot, Bill, you mean my discounted 20-dollar a year membership doesn;t cover legal insurance?

Hell then what's the NRA good for? Boycott the NRA!!!!

08-27-2007, 2:54 PM
Don't forget the free hat :)

08-27-2007, 2:56 PM
And American Rifleman - very good mag!

08-27-2007, 6:23 PM
Don't forget the free hat :)

What!? :eek: I didn't get a hat!

08-27-2007, 7:54 PM
We have cal-gun members that are not NRA members?!

08-27-2007, 8:12 PM
Apparently quite a few actually.

08-27-2007, 8:16 PM
I'm sure Oaklander put a dent in their #'s at the last Cow Palace show. He reminded me of the Black Knight . . . "NONE SHALL PASS!"

08-27-2007, 8:48 PM
I would not try to sneak past Oaklander :90:

08-28-2007, 4:22 PM
I sign up at every show I go to. BTW the Big Reno show wasnt to bad, I didnt find any black rifle stuff that couldnt be bought threw CWS or any other of our fine sponsor's websites but I walked away $800 or so light. The ammo for the PPSH was $200 alone, not counting the M1 Carbine, 9mm, mini shotgun shells, etc, etc.;)

09-01-2007, 7:30 PM
So do we know if the defendants were NRA members or not?

If not, then bit of a stretch for them to reciprocate any alleged expectation for something in return if they did not support the NRA previously.

09-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty confident that BWO was an NRA member.

09-02-2007, 12:43 AM
LOL - :D

I would not try to sneak past Oaklander :90: