PDA

View Full Version : Update/City Council meeting re:Templar Sports (new Los Gatos gunshop)

PanzerAce
12-17-2012, 1:26 PM
A friend of mine let me know that the issue of the gun shop in Los Gatos is coming up at tonight's town council meeting. He forwarded me this info about people showing up in support:

The Los Gatos Town Council meeting will be held at 7:00pm at Los Gatos Town Hall in the Council Chambers located at 110 East Main Street, Los Gatos.

Please dress professional/casual. The meeting will start promptly at 7:00. Please do not be late. If you do arrive late, please enter quietly.

Upon arrival, immediately fill out a yellow card (found in each row of seats). ALL YOU NEED TO FILL IN IS YOUR NAME and the words "Verbal communications". Give the file din card to the woman at the right (facing it) of the council desk.

After procedural items, the Mayor will call for verbal communications. She will ask each person by name who filled out a card to come to the podium and speak. You will probably have 3 minutes, but even 10 seconds of support is important. State your name, and if you live/work/etc in Los Gatos. You DO NOT. have to live or work in LG to say anything, but a close connection to the community is what they are looking for.

Examples of what to say
"As a Los Gatos Resident/business owner/someone employed in Los Gatos, I'm very happy to welcome and support Templar Sports into our community"
and

"Templar sports is owned and operated by people who have grown up in Los Gatos and who continue to have close family ties to Los Gatos. They have decades of law enforcement and military experience, as well as decades of experience in the sporting goods industry. They are members of the community and have demonstrated long term commitment to our town"
"I am pleased to see such a responsible and professional group of owners and operators serving Los Gatos. They set a fine example for our town with their years of experience in outdoor sports and their commitment to local business."

"Templar Sports' commitment to professionalism and the community are an ideal combination for los gatos"

PLEASE STICK TO MESSAGES OF SUPPORT FOR THE BUSINESS. Do NOT speak about the tragedy in Connecticut. Do NOT speak about 2nd amendment rights. Do NOT speak on the law, legal challenges, or ordinances.

PanzerAce
12-17-2012, 4:19 PM
Less than two hours left till this. Hopefully alot of you guys can show up and lend your support

tcrpe
12-17-2012, 4:20 PM
Where are you on the agenda?

tcrpe
12-17-2012, 4:21 PM
Where are you on the agenda?

PanzerAce
12-17-2012, 5:36 PM
"Verbal communications"

mag360
12-17-2012, 5:41 PM
Hope you guys show up! The anti gun folk slandered this guys business with signs that read"guns guns and more guns" "bail bonds" and more. Then said he was selling assault weapons in the local patch online. Pretty scumbaggy.

tcrpe
12-17-2012, 5:50 PM
"Verbal communications"

After the consent agenda, they'll have public input on things removed therefrom. Then there will be the public comment and hearings. I presume you're in that part. Near the start or towards the end?

The most contentious issues usually are last on the agenda.

Then again, sometimes the agenda is manipulated to accommodate the local TV stations or if the politicos want or don't want local news coverage.

bwiese
12-17-2012, 5:53 PM
Wish I'd known about this earlier.

PLEASE STICK TO MESSAGES OF SUPPORT FOR THE BUSINESS

Yup.

Do NOT speak about the tragedy in Connecticut.

Do NOT speak on the law, legal challenges, or ordinances.

That may be a mistake.

Guntech
12-17-2012, 7:26 PM
Might have to make the trip to support there business.

wash
12-17-2012, 8:15 PM
Damn, I missed this.

I stopped by Saturday night to check out the place but it was closed.

From the street it looks like a nice building and doesn't scream gun shop at all.

I will be doing some of my shopping in Los Gatos now, within walking distance of where I worked a few jobs ago.

Eight3one
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Just watched a segment of that town council meeting on the news this morning. I can't believe the clip they decided to show was an anti-gun guy saying: "Nobody hunts deer with an AK-15."

wash
12-18-2012, 2:06 PM
Oddly enough, a true statement but I'm sure plenty of people hunt deer with AR15s and occasionally with AK47s too.

tcrpe
12-18-2012, 2:19 PM
Oddly enough, a true statement but I'm sure plenty of people hunt deer with AR15s and occasionally with AK47s too.

Frankly, I've seen varmint hunters use an AR15, but not deer hunters. A .223 really isn't appropriate for deer if you're looking for that morally obligated sure and quick kill.

YMMV

YOMV

YEMV

YAMV

LiquidFlorian
12-18-2012, 3:24 PM
holy smokes! I live in Los Gatos, when is the meeting?

tcrpe
12-18-2012, 3:29 PM
What happened?

PanzerAce
12-18-2012, 4:35 PM
http://losgatos.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2

hit 'video' for the Dec 17th meeting.

Ubermcoupe
12-18-2012, 6:37 PM
@ what point during the 2:48+ hour video is it??? Click “Verbal Comments” Section

How about just a quick summary?

Nevermind:
February 4th - LG Town Council is placing an agenda item to review a “conditional use permit, amendment, or other process to regulate firearm retailers in the future” including the “expansion or relocation” of Templar Sports (the gun shop).

Stay tuned...

ICONIC
12-18-2012, 6:46 PM
start viewing at 1: 38 :39 they mention Templar Sports

wash
12-18-2012, 9:48 PM
Frankly, I've seen varmint hunters use an AR15, but not deer hunters. A .223 really isn't appropriate for deer if you're looking for that morally obligated sure and quick kill.

YMMV

YOMV

YEMV

YAMV
That's what 6.8 SPC uppers are for.

PanzerAce
12-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Or 6.5, or 50BEO, or 458, or 450 bushmaster, or 300BLK, or 7.62x39, etc....

jdberger
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
OP - please keep us updated on this and make sure that you're sending out reminders about a month in advance so people can remember to come to the meeting.

Further, please forward the Sunnyvale report to the town council. If you don't have it handy, feel free to send me a PM with your email address. I'll send it to you.

unusedusername
12-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone else hear the quote on KCBS about how "you don't hunt deer with an AK-15"?

Why do I have this feeling that someone at the news station knew that was BS and decided to poke fun at the person who said it?

ColdDeadHands1
12-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Listening to the public comments. Blech! Some quotes:

"I don't feel safe with guns around".
"The children..."
"Guns kill".
"In the hands of the wrong people".
Classic! "AK-15!!! Nobody shoots deer with an AK-15!!!"
"We want a guarantee that the owners will not sell clips that hold 100 bullets"
"We don't want the owners to put up signs or advertise locally"

In closing after listening to these comments, I want to encourage Templar Sports to run bungee cords through the trigger guards of all their firearms. Otherwise it is likely these particular guns will jump off the shelves and begin shooting up Los Gatos.

ColdDeadHands1
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
I'll tell you what, after some thought, I WANT an AK-15! Please someone with Photoshop skills create one for me.

dvs762
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
is this shop currently open for business?

stingray4540
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, I would definitely shop there if they are!

wjc
12-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Guys, OP, we need longer lead time to make sure people can get there.

BTW, What's an AK-15?!

wjc
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Listening to the public comments. Blech! Some quotes:

"I don't feel safe with guns around".
"The children..."
"Guns kill".
"In the hands of the wrong people".
Classic! "AK-15!!! Nobody shoots deer with an AK-15!!!"
"We want a guarantee that the owners will not sell clips that hold 100 bullets"
"We don't want the owners to put up signs or advertise locally"

In closing after listening to these comments, I want to encourage Templar Sports to run bungee cords through the trigger guards of all their firearms. Otherwise it is likely these particular guns will jump off the shelves and begin shooting up Los Gatos.

Typical rhetoric from the uninformed...

unusedusername
12-19-2012, 1:28 AM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/236/521698335_ef1d96d23b_z.jpg

Not my photoshop, image is from google.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
12-19-2012, 1:34 AM
Didn't know this thread was active. Some a'hole blasted Templar on Yelp. Check out this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=659007

tcrpe
12-19-2012, 7:01 AM
So, the gun shop is good to go, and the city council is looking to construct a bill of attainder against gun stores via regulation.

How American of them.

PanzerAce
12-19-2012, 7:16 AM
re: lead times. I only found out about this about 15 minutes before I posted it. I get the feeling that the TS guys didn't have much more warning than that.

dvs: no, not yet. I drove by yesterday morning, and they're still closed up tight.

jdb: I'll let the TS owners/lawyers/cgf handle that. I'm sure since they've got all kinds of warning now they'll get something done.

Tread Lightly
02-01-2013, 8:54 AM
There is no other single thing we can do to support Templar than showing up Monday February 4th 2013 at 7:00pm at Los Gatos Town Hall 110 E Main St, Los Gatos, CA 95030.

Those opposed will try and get the council to put in place highly restrictive rules that could keep Templar from relocating in Los Gatos (if they ever loose their lease or want to expand) and make it almost impossible for any other firearm store to ever open in Los Gatos.

There is likely to be 200 people showing up to oppose. We should have 400 people in support. This is a numbers game at this point and we must all rally behind these guys.

This is a landmark event in the Bay Area. Whether or not you live in Los Gatos (you don't have to say where you are from at the meeting) please get the word out and get as many people as possible to show up. Bring your family!

Librarian
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
The newer thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=691502, covers this topic.