PDA

View Full Version : San Fran: Gun Transportation

FourT6and2
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If I'm living in the San Fran area, how do I transport my gun to a shooting range without a car? I presume I'm not legally aloud to carry an unloaded pistol in a case with me on foot. If I had a CCW it wouldn't be a problem. But I hear it's next to impossible to get a CCW in San Fran.

P5Ret
12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
I presume I'm not legally aloud to carry an unloaded pistol in a case with me on foot.

Why not? As long as the case is locked, and gun is unloaded, it shouldn't make any difference, where you are.

wicked liquid
12-17-2012, 10:50 AM
You are right on the money about not being able to get a CCW. But I have to agree with P5RET. I would think if you locked it in a case unloaded and put it in like a back pack you should be alright. But at the same time I always try to be extra careful, so you may want to either contact local law enforcement for suggestions or even try the ask l.e. thread here on calguns.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Transportation restrictions in San Francisco are the same as elsewhere in California; unloaded locked container for handguns. There's no "extra careful" that comes into play - either you are transporting it legally or you are not.

FourT6and2
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Why not? As long as the case is locked, and gun is unloaded, it shouldn't make any difference, where you are.

You are right on the money about not being able to get a CCW. But I have to agree with P5RET. I would think if you locked it in a case unloaded and put it in like a back pack you should be alright. But at the same time I always try to be extra careful, so you may want to either contact local law enforcement for suggestions or even try the ask l.e. thread here on calguns.

Transportation restrictions in San Francisco are the same as elsewhere in California; unloaded locked container for handguns. There's no "extra careful" that comes into play - either you are transporting it legally or you are not.

I just wasn't sure if an unloaded gun in a range bag or case (like a Pelican case) was considered "concealed." But I see now that the letter of the law says that an UNLOADED firearm locked in a container is not "concealed" and does not require a permit to carry. That's all I wanted to know.

I didn't want to wind up getting into trouble for "carrying concealed" without a license by walking to the shooting range with a cased gun.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like you're good to go.

Rucku5
01-02-2013, 7:13 PM
Wait so I can cruise around with a backpack containing my Glock in its locked case and ammo?

edrex
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I just wasn't sure if an unloaded gun in a range bag or case (like a Pelican case) was considered "concealed."
Personally, I would be very weary of carrying anything that looks like a gun case. Living in SF, I'm sure you've heard of the trend of bus robberies where thugs will grab phones or bags or whatever out of peoples hands and bolt as the bus stops and the doors open. This is assuming you don't live within walking distance of a range and will be using public transportation.

delta9
01-03-2013, 7:05 PM
If I'm living in the San Fran area, how do I transport my gun to a shooting range without a car? I presume I'm not legally aloud to carry an unloaded pistol in a case with me on foot. If I had a CCW it wouldn't be a problem. But I hear it's next to impossible to get a CCW in San Fran.

Just curious - what shooting range would you be walking to in San Francisco? The closest ranges are either in South San Francisco or San Rafael

Corsair415
01-05-2013, 7:24 PM
Just curious - what shooting range would you be walking to in San Francisco? The closest ranges are either in South San Francisco or San RafaelHe would have to walk to get to the bus without a car.

db42
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
FourT6and2,

Put the gun in a small range bag like this one:
http://www.cedhk.com/shop/product_images/uploaded_images/CED_Professional_Range_Bag/CED1500%20Small%20Pistol%20Case_1.gif

You can get one at any gun shop.
Put a lock on it and stick it in a backpack.

Nobody knows, so nobody cares.

HapaMan
01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Wait so I can cruise around with a backpack containing my Glock in its locked case and ammo?

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is yes, if the gun is:

1. Locked in a case
2. Unloaded (loaded mags can be in the case)

then you are fine.

taio
01-27-2013, 2:15 AM
sounds to me like you're carrying it onto a bus... is it against their policy though, to have a locked gun on public transportation? you might want to check that as well.

bchiefsa
01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
If it were me, I would put a lock on the gun itself and then in the locked box. That way the thug that ripped you off by stealing your backpack would have to ruin the firearm to use it.

paul0660
01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Two in a row................