PDA

View Full Version : Parker is now Heller..

bg
08-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I saw this over at THR and thought if no one was aware of the name change
regarding the prior Parker v D.C case that it might come in handy so as to
follow this most important care. From a member over at THR..
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=294933
excerpt

Activists should be aware of the fact that as the "Parker" case heads to appeal at the Supreme Court, it is no longer the "Parker" case. The pleading for certiorari will be titled "District of Columbia v. Heller" since Heller was the only plaintiff in the original case who was actually found to have legal standing and the roles have switched for the appeal.

This change has made it difficult for many people trying to keep up with the case to locate information since they were searching for the wrong case title.
HTH's

Piper
08-10-2007, 11:23 PM
For the most part, this is good news. But what troubles me about this is Robert's being concerned about how it might gut current gunlaws nationwide. My response is so what! If the laws are unconstitutional, they should be thrown out, so what's the problem?

I really hope they don't water down their decision for the sake of.......well for the sake of not making gun grabbers look like the fools they are.

BTW, why would they water down their decision?

hoffmang
08-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure that's an agreed upon fact amongst the Right People. I do know that DC is attempting to caption it that way and I need to double check if their reading of the SCOTUS captioning guidelines is correct.

-Gene

carsonwales
08-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure that's an agreed upon fact amongst the Right People. I do know that DC is attempting to caption it that way and I need to double check if their reading of the SCOTUS captioning guidelines is correct.

-Gene

Gene...

My understanding is that the opponents are in the extension period...in the 30 day extra time frame they wanted.

Whats happens if they bail out of the appeal altogether prior to the 'new' deadline demarcating the end of this present extension?

What does that do to us? Or how does that effect us?

I don't understand how the gun grabbing crowd would risk this decision...

It is as if...this is their Waterloo...

I sit idle hoping they file their stuff and keep pushing forward

zenthemighty
08-11-2007, 8:47 AM
They have to risk it. Else, every federal law will be challenged since DC is a federal Jurisdiction. Its really a catch-22 situation for them.

hoffmang
08-11-2007, 10:11 AM
1. I've confirmed with the Right People that the captioning of the case isn't clear. It may end up being Heller, but it could likely remain DC v. Parker. It will invert as DC is the "plaintiff" now that they lost.

2. DC will file for Cert. They could be found in contempt if they asked for two separate delays and then didn't file. The only reason we wouldn't get a ruling on the merits is if SCOTUS doesn't grant. I think the risk of SCOTUS not granting cert is below 10%.

-Gene

leelaw
08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought this had to do with a sex change operation for the plantiff.. Glad I Was wrong :p