PDA

View Full Version : What are some good to have "SHTF" related Apps for a smart phone?

11HE9
12-16-2012, 9:35 PM
I'm sorry if this has been covered (I tried searching, found nothing I was looking for).

I was finally dragged into the 21st century this week (family forced me). I caved in and bought a smartphone. I have had this thing for maybe 48 hours and have already appologized to my wife. I always gave her grief for having her "Crack phone" attached to her left hand, now I understand why she did :o.

I have already down loaded the Army's FM 21-76 Survival guide, and a few other things I found.

What other "Good to have" Apps are out there??

Tripper
12-16-2012, 9:42 PM
Kindle app
So you can get all the shtf type books for reference

Tripper
12-16-2012, 9:43 PM
An actual kindle will hold more books and the battery will last longer in a single charge

socal-shooter
12-16-2012, 9:44 PM
SAS survival guide , survival guide , spyglass (for navigation) , police scanner

Horton Fenty
12-16-2012, 9:48 PM
Applied Ballistics Mobile.

Works on Kindle. :thumbsup:

Librarian
12-16-2012, 10:07 PM
A solar-charger for your phone will be pretty important...

Something that will read .pdf files.

A specific first-responder first aid app - I have the American Heart Association 'Pocket First Aid & CPR v4.0'

11HE9
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a Kindle Fire :facepalm:

The phone will most likely be with me everywhere I go, not so with the Kindle.

Redundancy couldn't hurt, right? ;)

11HE9
12-16-2012, 10:17 PM
A solar-charger for your phone will be pretty important...

I'm already shopping around for one of those, lots of mixed reviews on everything it seems.

I'm leaning towards the Goalzero

kb58
12-17-2012, 6:27 AM
Everyone assumes that the biggest SHTF problem with phone service will be a dead battery? Yeah the battery means that you can read survival docs on a small screen, and play Angry Birds, but don't expect to be making any calls, as the entire system will be down.

TheChief
12-17-2012, 6:31 AM
Kindle is sweet and lots of folks talk about their library on it but no one is willing to post the contents other than one or two of the same titles.

I'm already shopping around for one of those, lots of mixed reviews on everything it seems.

I recently pickup up the 10 plus kit and am reviewing it now. Will post something in the next couple of weeks. Waiting for a battery tester to arrive for some crucial bits of testing.

Here is the link to the post on the Goal Zero kit - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=659033

johnny1290
12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd love to see more info on the solar charger. its not an app but what I keep with my bob is a AA USB charger. It'll eat them quick enough but its something. A kindle charge lasts a month or more. My handheld ham radio goes at least 8 hrs on a charge and can use aaas.

uh OK apps. maybe a scanner app? kindle app plus books is better than nothing. the survival guide app and that GI book?

smart phones suck juice like no other. I always get an extended battery, and have a car charger.. They're for sure the easiest way to communicate.

I'm making a commo plan. 1st choice phone, second choice text, 3rd choice ham radio, etc etc

AwakeAware1016
12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
OS survival.
Isurvival.
Prepared society.
Survival feeds.
Commander compass. (Wont be much use after grid failure).
Excel notepad.
5-0 radio.
Micromedex. (PDR).
Herbs.

Darryl Licht
12-17-2012, 3:03 PM
IMHO --- You might be better off in a SHTF scenario with a real book, maps, etc.

Depending on what causes a SHTF scenario... if it is a dirty bomb or similar EMP could knock out all electronics unprotected by a faraday cage. An economic meltdown could cause cell companies to shut down towers and/or satellites. Or our government could shut them down in a martial law scenario!

Claybone
12-17-2012, 3:13 PM

As a back up for that Im leaning to a portable hand crank charger.

OIFVet03
12-17-2012, 5:50 PM
I have the Army Survival guide on my phone. I should look for more. I mostly look at it when I'm bored or waiting for something like in a doctor's waiting room.

GunGreg2107
12-17-2012, 6:33 PM
download the flashlight app i have used it more times than I can count

johnny1290
12-17-2012, 7:29 PM
oh I forgot! a hiking tracking app! it'll help you backtrack or know where you've been, what direction you've been going, its super handy. I need to install one on my new phone

11HE9
12-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Kindle is sweet and lots of folks talk about their library on it but no one is willing to post the contents other than one or two of the same titles.

I recently pickup up the 10 plus kit and am reviewing it now. Will post something in the next couple of weeks. Waiting for a battery tester to arrive for some crucial bits of testing.

I agree that the Kindle is pretty awsome, I really need to start loading mine with some good "Just in case" information/manuals :TFH:

Looking forward to the 10 plus kit review... I've fondled that one at REI a few times :o

IMHO --- You might be better off in a SHTF scenario with a real book, maps, etc.

I totally agree!! I can't count the times I have encountered someone who was completely lost because of their GPS. I have NEVER used a GPS (probably never will either :oji:). I have always had a good sence of direction, but knowing how to use a map & compass never hurt either ;)

Gabriel80
12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Flashlight app IS great!
Also their is an app called "doomsday" (not affiliated with the tv show)
And it's worth the $1.99 it has tons of survival manuals you can permanently download all for free (after the price of the app)
The great thing is you can download EVERYTHING then when the time comes when you there is no service or web connection u can still access everything.

socal-shooter
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Goal zero guide 10 plus kit is a must have. I approve

I bought extra eneloops that run with it too

Tripper
12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a spare goalzero adventure 10 kit, NIB, that i could do some horsetrading on, PM me if that interests you.

I might grab that doomsday app, looks pretty good
I have a PC app that I converted a bunch of books to PDf, and uploaded to my kindle, and can send them to my iPhone kindle app too, so its on both.
I'll see if I can extract/make those available, (that arent purchased), I also have a decent list of free kindle books that are shtf/survival related.

11HE9
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Goal zero guide 10 plus kit is a must have. I approve

I bought extra eneloops that run with it too

Noted... I am this close >< to pulling the trigger on a Goalzero guide 10, maybe for Christmas :)

I'll toss some Eneloops in the basket when we're at Costco, when I can get away with it ;)

Gabriel80
12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I believe Goal zero is 7 watt but before you buy look into the brand Instapak. They make a very similar product sold on amazon, with equally high reviews, and the same if not cheaper price and the kicker is its 10 watts instead.

You can buy a great 8400 or 10000 battery back separately, no need to get that whole goal zero kit IMO

HK Chef
12-17-2012, 11:47 PM

Depending on what causes a SHTF scenario... if it is a dirty bomb or similar EMP could knock out all electronics unprotected by a faraday cage. An economic meltdown could cause cell companies to shut down towers and/or satellites. Or our government could shut them down in a martial law scenario!

This^^^ I'm 30 and can't justify relying on technology as most people seem to do anymore

philobeddoe
12-17-2012, 11:53 PM
AC/DC Back in Black ... it'll really charge you up when the SHTF.

Darryl Licht
12-18-2012, 2:06 AM
As for a solar charger goes check into Voltaic Systems, they have many chargers and are well known in backpacking/expedition realm. Also a US based company...

11HE9
12-18-2012, 8:15 PM
look into the brand Instapak. They make a very similar product sold on amazon, with equally high reviews, and the same if not cheaper price and the kicker is its 10 watts instead.

Thanks for the "Heads up" on that!!

I briefly looked at it today at work, I may need to re-think the Goalzero :rolleyes:

Gabriel80
12-18-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the "Heads up" on that!!

I briefly looked at it today at work, I may need to re-think the Goalzero :rolleyes:

No problem, I own this one and love it, and I also bought it for a buddy for Christmas.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in a portable solar charger

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Portable-Charger-Compatible-Devices/dp/B006ZRYU9O/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355892497&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=instapak+solar

Also Instapak makes a kit like Goalzero that comes with a battery, but again this battery is only 5,200 mAh, you can easily get a 8,400 or 10,000 mAh battery for around $40. I suggest buying the pieces separately.

AwakeAware1016
12-19-2012, 2:57 AM
Most of the apps I have listed above will work without service. That is why I posted them as "useful" SHTF apps.

the86d
12-19-2012, 4:35 AM
How about an off-line navigation app (not VZW's nor Google Maps, nor the inaccurate Apple one, but one that actually pre-downloaded maps for the locale you specified that can also be copied to another device).

A backup of apps (is that possible on an Apple device?) so you can have them in case cell-towers are down after an earthquake? You can always charge them in your car like some people did during the last hurricane. A few older Androids (rooted for quick backup and possible restore) stuffed in an ammo can would be a good idea if you are worried about an EMP of even the Solar Flare variety...

All the Apple people backing up everything to the cloud would be in a world of hurt if their device had to get factory'd, and they couldn't reactivate(?), nor install apps from cellular network/Internet.

I have a few solar charging USB battery packs.

ElvenSoul
12-19-2012, 5:35 AM
Angry Birds

TheChief
12-19-2012, 6:55 AM
Here is the thread I started on the Goal Zero kit.

As I right this I dont have any numbers but rather observations and answers to frequently asked questions.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=659033

Darryl Licht
12-19-2012, 7:21 AM
How about an off-line navigation app (not VZW's nor Google Maps, nor the inaccurate Apple one, but one that actually pre-downloaded maps for the locale you specified that can also be copied to another device).

Uh... ummmm... err.... ummmm.... NO SUCH ANIMAL!!!

ALL nav apps use GPS to locate your position, so no such thing as an off-line nav app. You might find just a map, so know how to read and navigate by ancient technology!!! LOL!

I'm in IT and I cannot believe how reliant our society has become on it in one generation! Ever been to a drive through when power is out? These kids today cannot add or subtract in their heads! Too reliant on a cash register that tells them how much change to give! 30 years ago you had to do it in your head!

Librarian
12-19-2012, 8:37 AM
You might look at this -- http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/california.shtml - a source for paper copies or a subscription to print your own specialized versions

or, for free digital topo maps, http://www.klofas.com/topo/ - these are very large, around 20 meg/map but can be saved smaller if you like. They enlarge wonderfully ...

Also http://www.sdc.ucsb.edu/holdings/caltopo.html, http://www.topozone.com/states/California.asp

TheChief
12-19-2012, 9:08 AM
Uh... ummmm... err.... ummmm.... NO SUCH ANIMAL!!!

ALL nav apps use GPS to locate your position, so no such thing as an off-line nav app. You might find just a map, so know how to read and navigate by ancient technology!!! LOL!

I'm in IT and I cannot believe how reliant our society has become on it in one generation! Ever been to a drive through when power is out? These kids today cannot add or subtract in their heads! Too reliant on a cash register that tells them how much change to give! 30 years ago you had to do it in your head!

I think by offline he meant the cell towers were offline not the birds.

Darryl Licht
12-19-2012, 9:23 AM
I think by offline he meant the cell towers were offline not the birds.

If cell towers are down how is phone to communicate with satellites, as most cellphones do not "talk" directly to satellites but do so through the cellular network.

???

cycle61
12-19-2012, 10:37 AM
If cell towers are down how is phone to communicate with satellites, as most cellphones do not "talk" directly to satellites but do so through the cellular network.

???

GPS information is not cell-tower dependent. Those signals are received directly from the satellites.

Darryl Licht
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
GPS information is not cell-tower dependent. Those signals are received directly from the satellites.

If you are talking a hand held GPS, you are correct!

If you are talking cell phone GPS it all depends on which phone.

Some do communicate directly with GPS sats, some do so through cellular network!

11HE9
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM

If you are talking a hand held GPS, you are correct!

If you are talking cell phone GPS it all depends on which phone.

Some do communicate directly with GPS sats, some do so through cellular network!

Does anyone know which phone(s) would still work if the grid was down?
(the ones that can talk directly to the birds?)

Librarian
12-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Does anyone know which phone(s) would still work if the grid was down?
(the ones that can talk directly to the birds?)

It appears that most phones use GPS from the satellites, but get their maps to display from the cellular network. There is also "A-GPS" that uses cell-phone-tower location info to help refine locations, or in some cases 'jump start' the positioning display.

Just poked around some. There are apps that allow you to download the map info to your phone when you are on the network, and use the stored copies when not.

I found one for iphone, GPS Kit, that I'm considering. One thing I read, though, may be a serious annoyance.

When you are not connected to the network, your phone spends a lot of battery power 'looking for' the network. You can make it stop that by setting 'airplane mode'. But apparently, on a Verizon iphone, that also shuts off the GPS receiver.

Androids apparently have more granularity - one can set an event and inside that set the services to turn off.
See also http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

johnny1290
12-22-2012, 1:19 AM
good looking out, Librarian! I'll try to remember to grab the car GPS if I ever have to use my get home bag!

Toyman321
12-22-2012, 8:23 AM
I can't speak for other phones, but I have a droid bionic. If I have my cell antenna turned off or Im out of range of cell towers the gps still works. It the mapping feature uses the cell towers to triangulate your location which is usually quicker than getting a gps lock, but not as accurate. Having cell towers speeds things up, but the gps works just fine without them.

On a side note, the native mapping app on android gives you the option to download maps to your phone, I've downloaded the area that covers between work and home so if everything goes south I still have maps between work and home.

yelohamr
03-15-2013, 7:05 PM
Everyone assumes that the biggest SHTF problem with phone service will be a dead battery? Yeah the battery means that you can read survival docs on a small screen, and play Angry Birds, but don't expect to be making any calls, as the entire system will be down.

I have a solar panel that I can plug the charger into and one of these:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

It connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth.

I've used it to send text messages to my son in MO, but you can text anyone in the world. Unless the satellites fall out of the sky.

Madstone
03-15-2013, 7:22 PM
I don't do the smart phone crap but I do have a kindle that will be worthless upon SHTF day.

Link to Amazon Kindles guides (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A864488%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011)
Link to iPhone & some Blackberry apps (http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=111651)
SAS Survival Guide iPad, iPhone, WP7 & Andriod (http://www.sassurvivalguide.com/)

Apps DURING a SHTF situation: I suggest one that allows you to hone in on weather band stations and surf radio frequencies. Like Librarian said, GPS application only when you want to use it, get your coordinates quickly then shut it down.

Consider this: A phone can get you killed as easily as it can save your life. If you are suddenly missing from a home if they are doing door to door searches for people (as they were during the SD fires) in a SHTF situation they can pop in your phone number and either jam you or locate you. (This may save you if you are severely injured or they may kill you for fleeing.)

gorn5150
03-15-2013, 8:58 PM
I have the goalzero solar charger and love it. I also have a Coleman knock off of the goalzero charger which works just as good and only cost about $30 on Amazon. It also has the USB output so you can plug your factory charging cable right into it and you are good to go.

Paltik
03-15-2013, 11:27 PM
First Aid (American Red Cross)
SD Emergency (San Diego County emergency info)
Translate (Google)
Scanner Radio

Decoligny
03-16-2013, 12:03 AM

A dirty bomb will not produce an EMP. It is simply an explosive device surrounded by radioactive material that will disperse when detonated. There is no nuclear detonation with a dirty bomb.

Paltik
03-16-2013, 12:30 AM

The point is well taken, but it always annoys me when people make this point.

The question being "What are some good SHTF apps?" calls for answers in the form of app names. Pointing out that any app at all may not be useful is like:

Saying "Guns will be radioactive after a meltdown" or "The government could seize any firearms" in response to the question, "What's a good SHTF rifle?"
Saying "Your house could burn down, along with all your preps" or "You may not even be able to get home to your preps" in response to the question, "How much food should I stockpile?" or "Is it better to dehydrate food or can it for SHTF?"
Saying "In SHTF everyone will eat all vegation within 10 miles of the city within 2 days" in response to the question "What are some common shrubs I could eat if I run out?"
Etc.

When people don't answer the question but instead point out issues that could make the question moot, it can seem like "showing off," as though the OP didn't know that having information on a smartphone may not be accessible in a variety of circumstances, or the OP should have gone through a list of disclaimers to demonstrate their knowledge of related issues before asking their question. People end up feeling defensive or protective, or other people feel they have permission to be scornful or smug.

Sorry to make this point in someone's thread about apps and quoting this post; if I'm honest I have to admit I've probably done the very thing that annoys me when I see others do it. Come to think of it, I also get annoyed at Internet Forum police. Maybe I'd better just quit now...

woods
03-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Having some advanced medical info is good but if you have not practiced first aid or cpr is going to be useless in an actual emergency. Skip the CPR app.

Twitter actually is great for emergency communication as it can use internet and texting which don't usually go down when phones do.

Plant and animal identification apps or books would be good as well as knot&weave books. A useful easy to burn time without power

bigguns85
03-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I love my smart phone but in a martial law scenerio I am going to keep it off as much as possible (remeber to remove the battery they can remotly send a signal to turn it on). The new drones that the DHS is using will track your phone and your apps you have on it as well as all your contact info. Your cell will make you a target in a martial law scenerio. If you still want a good device for kindle get a tablet or ipad. You are always able to turn off their wifi so they cant track you. Any other SHTF should be fine if you dont have to watch for digital spys. That said make sure to back up you pdf books on other devies too so you want lose it. Im planing on keeping a feridaycage backup tablet with all my e-books which is alot of e-books lol. There will be a lot of time to read in a SHTF lol you will get bored!

bigguns85
03-16-2013, 4:18 AM
Found a good map one. Its called MyTopo Maps its in google play and its free.

cdtx2001
03-16-2013, 6:50 AM
What good is a smart phone with no GPS or cell towers? If the grid is down, that smart phone gets pretty dumb.

Unless you have maps and other things stored in your phone in one form or another, most apps won't do squat for you.

bigguns85
03-16-2013, 7:36 AM
What good is a smart phone with no GPS or cell towers? If the grid is down, that smart phone gets pretty dumb.

Unless you have maps and other things stored in your phone in one form or another, most apps won't do squat for you.

There are alot of apps that work when offline. The topographical one that I posted works offline if you upgrade to the full version. In that case you have a full map of the us and canida with street maps and topo maps! I have it downloaded to my tablet. Just look for apps that work offline just as much:eek::D