PDA

View Full Version : Which organization should I donate to?

senorpeligro
12-16-2012, 5:48 PM
I want to make a small donation to a single organization that is best placed to work against those in the Federal government seeking to capitalize upon the recent tragedies.

Should I make it to the NRA, NRA-ILA or SAF? Thoughts?

DeanC
12-16-2012, 5:55 PM
SAF gets my vote.

senorpeligro
12-16-2012, 5:57 PM
SAF gets my vote.

Don't they specialize in litigation? Do they have any lobbyists?

BusBoy
12-16-2012, 6:11 PM
I want to make a small donation to a single organization that is best placed to work against those in the Federal government seeking to capitalize upon the recent tragedies.

Should I make it to the NRA, NRA-ILA or SAF? Thoughts?

Donate to all three!! Our gun club just did!

strlen
12-16-2012, 6:11 PM
Just sent $500 to SAF. Might follow up with another $500-$1000.

I went through a liquidity event at a startup last year and (due to not having done an 83b election earlier on) have a lot of short-term capital gains (taxed as regular income). There are good guides on non-profits dedicated to science, medicine, and homelessness, but I can't find many related to political organizations, so I actually cruised over to CGN to ask exactly this question.

Could somebody make a sticky post with a list of gun associations rated by efficiency at various stages *per* dollar spent? The different stages would be getting candidates elected to office, hiring lobbyists to defeat bad laws in legislature, 2A related litigation.

I will follow through and donate to the most dolar-for-dollar effective organizations.

DeanC
12-16-2012, 6:18 PM
Don't they specialize in litigation? Do they have any lobbyists?

They do seem to, but I think the courts are our best hope.

senorpeligro
12-16-2012, 6:26 PM
I'm looking to spend some money to fight the current eruption of forthcoming silliness in Congress.

DeanC
12-16-2012, 6:28 PM
NRA-ILA probably, then.

senorpeligro
12-16-2012, 6:34 PM
What's the difference between donating to the NRA vs the NRA-ILA?

voiceofreason
12-16-2012, 7:20 PM
SAF
NRA (not ILA)
CGF
GOA

Paladin
12-16-2012, 8:59 PM
SAF and CGF are doing great things in court rooms. With this latest school shooting, we now are back to the "court of public opinion", politics, and legislation, not litigation....

As far as I know, Gene Hoffman has not changed his opinion re. my quote of him in my sig line. First things first -- join the NRA. Fewer than 5% of gun owners in America (est 90M) are NRA members (~4M). Give NRA Annual memberships out for Christmas gifts/stocking stuffers to those who would appreciate it. Lots of benefits, besides the magazine (ck out their website for details). If we could get a mere 10% of gunnies to join, that would more than double their size and we'd be unstoppable -- nobody would even try even in these circumstances. As it is, with the Main Stream Media and politicians against us, we have a huge fight ahead of us.

#2 A week ago I would have said support SAF or CGF second, but now, w/Obama not facing reelection, him saying politics won't stop him from doing something re. guns, Bloomberg et al not waiting even 1 day to call for gun control, I'd say support the NRA-ILA. Why? Because, acc to federal tax law, the NRA general fund is restricted on paying for lobbying whereas the ILA was specifically formed to lobby. (Similarly, neither the NRA nor the ILA can spend much on political campaigns, therefore the NRA formed the Political Victory Fund -- NRA-PVF -- to engage in election campaigning.)

#3 and #4 SAF or CGF

#5 Don't waste your time or money w/GOA or GOC -- they're irrelevant....

wash
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
If you want effective and tax deductible, I'm not sure donations to NRA ILA are tax deductible.

What NRA is good at is keeping the house and senate from considering bad legislation. I think that's their ILA branch. Funds for regular NRA go to gun ranges and shooting programs I think.

Donations to legal defense funds with the right tax status are deductible, so SAF is good because their victories in court shape the way our legislators can try to write bad legislation.

CGF is a personal favorite because modern gun control started here and gets exported so a donation to CGF helps nip it in the bud. CGF donations are tax deductible too.

wjc
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
um, all of them?

Each one seems to have a particular focus (which infuriates me).

A little to each one will help.

senorpeligro
12-17-2012, 7:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll make this donation to the NRA-ILA.