PDA

View Full Version : Dare to Prepare (book)

Norcalkid
12-16-2012, 4:16 PM
Have any of you read this book, Dare to Prepare 4th ed, Holly Drennon Deyo. It was being hyped on another forum. Was thinking about ordering it but wanted an unbiased opinion first(it's not cheap).

Thanks, NCK

TheChief
12-17-2012, 6:18 AM
Its rather unusual to have all but one of the reviewers give it five stars. Makes me wonder at the validity of those reviews.

And priced too high.

mkane
12-17-2012, 7:19 AM
And probably printed in China.

Flying Sig
12-17-2012, 8:06 AM
Just buy it and if it sucks send it back. It's Amazon so returns are easy.

Los
12-21-2012, 4:25 AM
I sucked it up and bought it, havent read it yet though

Flying Sig
12-21-2012, 7:28 AM
Let us know how it is

jonnyt16
12-22-2012, 8:38 AM
Don't let the cheesy name or cover of the book fool you, this is a very good and comprehensive book. I haven't gone through it all because its not a book you read from cover to cover, everything is broken down into sections which is great. And there are ALOT of sections! Most importantly, this is not another survival book (you should already have plenty of those anyway), this is a book on PREPPING, plain and simple.

Someone asked me on another forum what three books I would most want to have in a SHTF scenario. This was my answer:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/3796/prepbooks.jpg

TheChief
12-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Don't let the cheesy name or cover of the book fool you, this is a very good and comprehensive book. I haven't gone through it all because its not a book you read from cover to cover, everything is broken down into sections which is great. And there are ALOT of sections! Most importantly, this is not another survival book (you should already have plenty of those anyway), this is a book on PREPPING, plain and simple.

Someone asked me on another forum what three books I would most want to have in a SHTF scenario. This was my answer:

What makes it different or better than the rest? It is 2 to 2-1/2 times the cost of the same type of book.

Also, if it is just about prepping, why would you want it after an event occurred?

All I see in reviews is "its so great, buy it!" No explanation as to what makes it good or better than other much cheaper books.

jonnyt16
12-22-2012, 1:18 PM
What makes it different or better than the rest? It is 2 to 2-1/2 times the cost of the same type of book.

Also, if it is just about prepping, why would you want it after an event occurred?

All I see in reviews is "its so great, buy it!" No explanation as to what makes it good or better than other much cheaper books.
Well first, I bought this book about two years ago for around 25 or 30 bucks. I didn't realize the price had skyrocketed so much.

The book is very comprehensive and detailed. It covers pretty much everything: Water, food, first aid supplies, as well as the actual shelf life for all these items. Basic emergency supplies, storage, finances, communications, sanitation, and so much more that I don't feel like typing it all. It doesn't just briefly cover these things either, it really goes in-depth in it all, complete with useful charts and graphs as well. Oh, it also reviews specific brands of items like water filters and generators and gives you the pros and cons of each.

This book would be helpful after SHTF too because it covers some things that alot of my survival books don't. How to build a hand pump, how to make soap, how to make candles, and how to make an array of other things that you normally don't think about. Gardening, cooking without power, etc.

Would I pay over 50 dollars for this book? Probably not. But if you can find a used copy or something for a little cheaper then I'd say go for it. Anyway, hope this helps.

Cali-Glock
12-22-2012, 1:51 PM
YIKES!! $179.80

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dare+to+prepare

Norcalkid
12-23-2012, 2:38 AM
Thanks jonny. Ill try to find it cheap.

wheels
12-23-2012, 8:00 AM
Well first, I bought this book about two years ago for around 25 or 30 bucks. I didn't realize the price had skyrocketed so much.

The book is very comprehensive and detailed. It covers pretty much everything: Water, food, first aid supplies, as well as the actual shelf life for all these items. Basic emergency supplies, storage, finances, communications, sanitation, and so much more that I don't feel like typing it all. It doesn't just briefly cover these things either, it really goes in-depth in it all, complete with useful charts and graphs as well. Oh, it also reviews specific brands of items like water filters and generators and gives you the pros and cons of each.

This book would be helpful after SHTF too because it covers some things that alot of my survival books don't. How to build a hand pump, how to make soap, how to make candles, and how to make an array of other things that you normally don't think about. Gardening, cooking without power, etc.

Would I pay over 50 dollars for this book? Probably not. But if you can find a used copy or something for a little cheaper then I'd say go for it. Anyway, hope this helps.

+1 - I'll echo what Jonny has mentioned - I have the book but I haven't done more than browse it a couple of times. Reading the book would be akin to reading an encyclopedia. I have seen details and charts in there I have never found on the internet.

Bears mentioning that the book is 8.5 x 11 - it's a beast.

Also when I just googled the book an ad for Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2687952519781?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book-_-Q000000633-_-2687952519781&cm_mmca2=pla&r=1) had it for $38.75.

ETA - let's add the authors site, which has the table of contents (http://standeyo.com/Our_Books/DTP.html) and they sell it on their site for ~ $44

Gabriel80
12-23-2012, 8:45 AM
Maybe it's just because I'm a graphic designer and occasionally judge books by their cover, but....

That book cover is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

TheChief
12-23-2012, 11:18 AM
I have toyed with writing a book for many years know and have read many of what is out there. I have not heard of this one before though.

All of the reviews I have read are good with only the following three complaints:

Over priced
Too light on guns
references to God and The Bible

I am slightly intrigued so I went ahead and purchased it from the B&N site this morning and expect it sometime next week. I post a few picks and initial thoughts when it arrives.

Until then...Happy Holidays

bsg
12-23-2012, 12:20 PM
interested in reading some more opinions/reviews here.

madoka
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
If we do a group buy of 8 books, we can get the price down to $30 per book plus shipping, instead of the normal $45 per book plus shipping.

billmaykafer
02-02-2013, 2:53 AM
poverty prepping is pretty good.

TheChief
02-02-2013, 5:27 AM
Barnes and Noble canceled my first order so I ended up buying one off Amazon...$$$

I have not had a chance to read it yet but have paged through the whole book. WOW!

It is as large as a text book at 8.5" x 11" by 1-1/2".

So much was covered...there are so many tables, pictures, breakouts and lists I am spinning.

Its 650 pages so not a quick sit down and read.

I may be adding this to my recommendation list as a secondary reference. It is too big for a preppers first book. However, as the second book that goes deeper into the planning aspects...it would be perfect.

It is worth the cost as it is a reference book comparable to any of my professional reference books in size, scope, and detail.

I would recommend it to anyone that is serious about prepping.

jonnyt16
02-02-2013, 8:33 AM
Cheif, glad you like it so far. You seemed very skeptical at first.

jt-cali
02-02-2013, 5:46 PM
If we do a group buy of 8 books, we can get the price down to $30 per book plus shipping, instead of the normal $45 per book plus shipping.

I'm in. Where are you located? I'm in SF southbay.

k1dude
02-02-2013, 6:44 PM

I'm in for one.

kb58
02-02-2013, 7:11 PM
Are you a retailer making us an offer or know someone making this claim? Since it's selling for WAY more than your price elsewhere makes me wonder how serious an offer it is, but I'd be in.

jt-cali
02-02-2013, 7:53 PM
Are you a retailer making us an offer or know someone making this claim? Since it's selling for WAY more than your price elsewhere makes me wonder how serious an offer it is, but I'd be in.

There's a case of 8 books available that makes it cheap. Comes out to $30 per book including shipping, if everyone is in the same location.

http://www.standeyo-cart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DTP-8

Fred Foobar
02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
SF Bay area, would go in for a group buy.

C&Rtrader
02-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Sf bay area. In for group buy.

k1dude
02-02-2013, 11:15 PM
There's a case of 8 books available that makes it cheap. Comes out to $30 per book including shipping, if everyone is in the same location.

http://www.standeyo-cart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DTP-8

Oops. Nevermind. Not near any of you.

jt-cali
02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Not sure if we'll get the necessary number for a group buy. But if the existing folks are ok with the terms below, I'll go ahead and make an order.

$35 - local pickup (Sunnyvale or San Jose)
$40 - shipped (may take longer as I have to ship out after receiving)

Please PM your interest. Once I confirm the interest level, I'll ask for a non-refundable:
local - $5 deposit (with balance due at pickup)
Ship - full $40 payment

Fred Foobar
02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
A case of 8 ($215.76) plus shipping ($24.16 for media mail) to 94039 works out to $30 per copy.

If we can't get 8, they offer a 25% discount for qty 4-7.

A half case of 4 ($179.89) plus shipping ($14.28) works out to $37 per copy.