PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Open Carry

desertmedic
12-16-2012, 2:13 PM
I will be visiting family in Idaho this holiday season. I understand that Idaho is a very gun friendly state and liberally allows open carry in the state. Anyone have any personel experience or insight in this matter? Thanks....

voiceofreason
12-16-2012, 4:00 PM
I have NO issues with a guy at the grocery store shopping with an M4 on his shoulder.

Anything happens, at least we likely have a carbine on our side.

If he wanted to rob the place, he'd have been doing so.

If he wanted to shoot up the place, he'd have been doing so.

In the 5+ minutes it took the police to respond, he likely just shopped. If the store manager stopped him from proceeding further in the store...

what could have stopped him?

I'd ask him about his rifle and likely discuss optics.

re: Idaho, find out about the local laws and ordinances of the cities and towns you'll be traveling through

urban/liberal cities tend to have greater restrictions

Intimid8tor
12-16-2012, 5:25 PM
Don't know what part of Idaho you're going to but here is perspective in the Boise area.

Open carry is not popular here. In the 6 months we have lived here I have seen 1 person, other than myself open carry. He had a pendleton on mostly concealing his sidearm and if I open carry, I usually wear a shirt that comes down over most of it. I conceal carry unless I am working around the house or on the truck. Then I open carry and I don't bother changing it to CCW when I leave the house to go grab parts or something.

Government building and schools are off limits. Keep in mind if you are going to church and they have a school you could be seen as being on school grounds. Malls and shopping centers don't like it and they could call the police. If that happens the police will tell them or you that all that can happen is that you can be asked to leave. If you don't you'll be cited for trespassing. This law includes all establishments. Could happen at Walmart, it may not. Most of the sporting goods stores post signs that firearms are welcome but to keep them holstered while in the store.

rodngun762
12-16-2012, 8:53 PM
Well I open carry in idaho all the time while hiking or on a 4 wheeler, this is in rural areas of course but growing up there I can remember my dad even open carrying in church. I just looked through my 2004 copy of "State Laws and Published Ordinances- Firearms" and in the (brief) Idaho section there appeared to be nothing addressing the open carry of firearms.

desertmedic
12-16-2012, 8:55 PM
Intim... I will be in Ketchum.

The Geologist
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I have NO issues with a guy at the grocery store shopping with an M4 on his shoulder.

Anything happens, at least we likely have a carbine on our side.

If he wanted to rob the place, he'd have been doing so.

If he wanted to shoot up the place, he'd have been doing so.

In the 5+ minutes it took the police to respond, he likely just shopped. If the store manager stopped him from proceeding further in the store...

what could have stopped him?

I'd ask him about his rifle and likely discuss optics.

re: Idaho, find out about the local laws and ordinances of the cities and towns you'll be traveling through

urban/liberal cities tend to have greater restrictions

And, there would probably be a lot of others in the store with guns on them to take care of the situation. If anything negative was to happen!

If there are no restrictions on the law abiding to possess a gun, then we are basically equal to the criminal who does not give a rats A_SS if they can have a gun on them or not to commit a crime. So the criminal might think twice about committing the crime. Just because they might end up dead

NightOwl
12-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I lived in and open carried in Idaho for several years, here's the skinny.

Go ahead and OC, make sure you don't conceal with your jacket by accident. I went most places open carrying in the Nampa area. Malls (and associated stores there), grocery stores, gas stations, Home Depot, parks, whatever. If someone wants you to leave their establishment they'll ask, but it never happened to me. Walmart WILL NOT ask you to leave, their policy is to follow state law, which says it's ok. Walmart corporate will chew their *** severely if they do otherwise, and that's happened and brought the managers/staff in line.

opencarry.org in the Idaho section is a good resource. Good people there last time I checked.

According to state law, OC at schools is ok for the purpose of dropping off/picking up your kid, but only at the front of the school (i never did this, just thought it was an interesting tidbit of state law, orry if this is vague as I'm posting from my phone).

Youtube boise zoo open carry for a news piece.

diamond digger
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
go to montana. you can open carry a loaded handgun at 14. they arent sissies like californians.

ubet
12-17-2012, 5:56 AM
Spent the fall 90 miles outside of Idaho falls, I open carried all the time in Idaho mt to for that matter. Good luck and keep your head on a swivel

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

desertmedic
12-17-2012, 6:56 AM
Thanks folks... I appreciate all the info.

ap3572001
12-17-2012, 7:01 AM
I have visited MANY states.

In SHALL ISSUE free states MOST people I know just carry handguns CCW style and do not walk around with AR's and AK's .

rodngun762
12-17-2012, 8:47 AM
Intim... I will be in Ketchum.

Oh man.... You picked the only county (Blaine) in Idaho that votes for democrats every time? I would say Ketchum is probably the last place you want to open carry in idaho. It's FULL of libs and visiting out of staters for the holidays.... my family has a place 45 min outside of Ketchum and I have been going there for years (flying into there on Friday).

It's a very quaint town, there is a significant police presence, and really I don't think open carry would be well received. There are a lot of east coast libs there.

Here is an anecdote for you: Last year in the F-350 it was 12 degrees out and I was idling it out front of the grocery store to keep the car warm. Well this guy comes up to me and knocks on my window and says "hey man, your car is polluting everything, its illegal to idle your car, turn it off!!" He was 100% serious. So to get this guy out of my face I turned it off and as soon as he went inside I turned it back on. Well wouldn't you know 10 min later he's exiting the grocery store and walks back to my car and starts pounding on my window saying he's going to call the police because I'm breaking the law and I'm still "polluting everything!!!"

Yes, that is the type of people we deal with in Ketchum...:rolleyes:

-hanko
12-17-2012, 9:22 AM
Don't know what part of Idaho you're going to but here is perspective in the Boise area.

Open carry is not popular here. In the 6 months we have lived here I have seen 1 person, other than myself open carry. He had a pendleton on mostly concealing his sidearm and if I open carry, I usually wear a shirt that comes down over most of it. I conceal carry unless I am working around the house or on the truck. Then I open carry and I don't bother changing it to CCW when I leave the house to go grab parts or something.

Government building and schools are off limits. Keep in mind if you are going to church and they have a school you could be seen as being on school grounds. Malls and shopping centers don't like it and they could call the police. If that happens the police will tell them or you that all that can happen is that you can be asked to leave. If you don't you'll be cited for trespassing. This law includes all establishments. Could happen at Walmart, it may not. Most of the sporting goods stores post signs that firearms are welcome but to keep them holstered while in the store.
See quote above.

Thanks folks... I appreciate all the info.
You should be fine in Ketchum...open carry in Boise is normally the mark of a tourist.;)

Bring snow chains and have a great Christmas.

-hanko

fizux
12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
If you have a CCW from another state, Idaho AG says you are good to go:

http://www.ag.idaho.gov/concealedWeapons/concealedWeapons_index.html#Does%20Idaho%20recogni ze%20concealed%20weapons%20permits%20from%20other% 20states

One of the exceptions to the concealed carry law is:
18-3302(12)(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit is in the licensee's physical possession.