PDA

View Full Version : Is it still ok or a good idea.....

Snake Eyes USA
12-16-2012, 1:39 PM
Hello Cal-Gunners,

After the recent tragedy that has occurred. Is it ok and/or a good idea to still purchase firearms? I still want to get my Xmas gift to myself. I'd hate for something to pass and I'm on top of the list for some legal thing to do down. What ever it may be. Forced or peaceful.

Good idea? Bad idea? Why?

I post in this section because this has much to do with the 2nd and how its under scrutiny do to the recent news.

Thanks

repubconserv
12-16-2012, 1:50 PM
great idea. There is always the threat of legislation looming on the horizon. thankfully we have CGF, NRA and the like defending our rights. Go buy your gun and enjoy it.

If you're really worried about the laws, skip the gun this christmas, donate to CGF, NRA, or other reputable org, and then buy a gun later

Moonshine
12-16-2012, 2:02 PM
Because no ex post facto laws are constitutional in this country guns you own now will be lawful after a ban... The bans affect purchases made after the ban. However like the previous response before mine it is also very important to support organizations that are legitimately working to preserve our rights.

voiceofreason
12-16-2012, 2:34 PM
Buy what you want. Support the companies you support.

We won't tell the antis on you.

Good luck finding a "black rifle" though. They are moving into DROS in droves.

Capybara
12-16-2012, 3:16 PM
The Ventura Gun Show was wall to wall people yesterday, more crowded with more activity at the dealer displays than I have seen in years. I brought a friend who wanted advice on a .22 handgun. He bought from IVE at the show and had to wait almost an hour to pay and do paperwork because the IVE people were so busy selling.

Once again, BHO is proving he is truly the best thing to ever happen to gun sales, the top gun manufacturers must be drafting thank you letters to the president. Ironic that every time the president whispers a peep about gun control, Americans respond by arming themselves even more.

Before this week, when posters were asking if there was run on guns and ammo, most of us were responding with a no. But now, I definitely think that a run has started because the antis are rumbling about every new form of gun ban they can think of.

MontClaire
12-16-2012, 3:19 PM
If some you thought I was wrong about boot lickers on this forum in my previous post...well if this doesn't prove my point than I don't know what is.

:iamwithstupid:

jj805
12-16-2012, 3:26 PM
Hello Cal-Gunners,

After the recent tragedy that has occurred. Is it ok and/or a good idea to still purchase firearms? I still want to get my Xmas gift to myself. I'd hate for something to pass and I'm on top of the list for some legal thing to do down. What ever it may be. Forced or peaceful.

Good idea? Bad idea? Why?

I post in this section because this has much to do with the 2nd and how its under scrutiny do to the recent news.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about future legislation right now. It hasn't passed into law yet, so you are doing nothing wrong. Get your Christmas gift

phrogg111
12-16-2012, 4:41 PM
People are actually worried about buying guns?

Millions and millions of people legally buy guns every year. They're not disobeying any laws! Guns are still legal!

If it's legal, and you do it, then they change the laws, there will be a way for you to comply with the new laws. You're not going to get arrested next year if you buy a gun now and have to turn it in next year!

More importantly, people exist who will not turn in their arms. These people understand that it is the right of the people to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed, and they understand that defending your country from all threats, both foreign and domestic, involves bearing those arms in defense of your nation.

Good people will fight. Even if you choose not to.

Also, building your own guns isn't that difficult, and is legal if you do it right. Look in to it! No serial numbers or registration required for those.

chillincody
12-16-2012, 4:50 PM
DONT BUY BUILD if you can the gooberment cant disarm you of what they dont know you have;) just saying

phrogg111
12-16-2012, 4:53 PM
DONT BUY BUILD if you can the gooberment cant disarm you of what they dont know you have;) just saying

I'm not going to lie to you, either - the government doesn't keep very good records, if any records at all, on long guns.

And actually, if there's another AW ban, buying may be a better option. If you register your gun as an "assault weapon", you can have it after the ban, too. Trying to reimburse people the actual value of their guns is not something the government can do.

Ron-Solo
12-16-2012, 4:56 PM
and, join the NRA and CRPA

a1c
12-16-2012, 5:28 PM
Always a good idea as long as you are a responsible gun owner like most of us like to think we are.

gwgn02
12-16-2012, 7:03 PM
BUY BUY BUY

ramathorn
12-16-2012, 8:17 PM
Get next years present early also, buy two! :2guns:

Steve1968LS2
12-16-2012, 8:26 PM
I have three HK long guns in "jail" right now.. thinking of adding a SCAR 17s to the mix and one more handgun...

2 is one and one is none.. and 32 is comforting :)

Anchors
12-16-2012, 9:23 PM
Because no ex post facto laws are constitutional in this country guns you own now will be lawful after a ban... The bans affect purchases made after the ban. However like the previous response before mine it is also very important to support organizations that are legitimately working to preserve our rights.

That isn't strictly what ex post facto means. Ex post facto means retroactive punishment/enforcement.
The Lautenberg Amendment, whether the court will recognize it or not, is an ex post facto law (or at least in application is ex post facto).

The "taking clause" in the Fifth Amendment is more likely applied. Meaning the government must compensate you "fairly" for the private property seized.
For this, there's the California SKS ban fiasco when the state said that certain SKS would be legal if registered, then turned around and decided they were actually not legal even if registered as AWB and used registration records to threaten owners into surrendering them for nominal compensation.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=584798

chillincody
12-16-2012, 9:39 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, either - the government doesn't keep very good records, if any records at all, on long guns.

And actually, if there's another AW ban, buying may be a better option. If you register your gun as an "assault weapon", you can have it after the ban, too. Trying to reimburse people the actual value of their guns is not something the government can do.

very true never really thought about it like that

xpbprox
12-16-2012, 9:49 PM

Because you can't engrave an %80 lower with the required information?

uhlan1
12-16-2012, 9:50 PM
Buy your gun, no one is going to take it from you. You may not be able to transfer it or sell it, and the re-build loop-hole is going to go away, maybe internet bulk ammo sales as well, but they're not going to confiscate it. Issues with the 5th Amendment, and frankly, there are just too many of them. Untenable, unenforceable.
These are patient people, our enemy. Just outlawing transfers and PPT's will do the job for them in 10-20 years without even touching the 2nd Amendment.

huntercf
12-16-2012, 10:17 PM
and, join the NRA and CRPA

I received a letter yesterday from the NRA that says they are buying me a 1 year membership in CRPA.

To the OP, if you have the $$ then buy baby buy!

myk
12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
It is always a good time to buy guns and ammunition, don't let anyone tell you otherwise...