PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith to swap out my handguard for railed in South OC?

ty423
08-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't own too many ARs so I figure there is no real reason to buy all the tools and what not to do it myself. I don't even have a vise to hold the upper in place to take out the barrel. What I need done is just the FSB and delta ring removed. I have the low profile gas block and a Samson rail that will replace these. I'm located in the South Orange County but also hand around the Orange/Irvine area as well...TIA

ar15barrels
08-10-2007, 2:39 PM
To do this right, it's NOT just some tools.
You will want a detent machined in the barrel for that gas block as well.

If you don't mind the drive up the 405, I can certainly do it for you.

Prc329
08-10-2007, 2:43 PM
Randall is one of the most well respected smiths in the ar community. You will be in good hands.

olegk
08-11-2007, 12:44 AM

WOW!!!
It is good to have AR professional in the neighborhood. I thought LA area is dead. If I continue with the same pace I have now in the few month I need swap barrel on my rifle.

ty423
08-11-2007, 4:33 PM

Interesting read on your website. How much would it be to do the detent for the gas block set screws and change over to the Samson free float. Also I bought a brand new YHM phantom and do I need to index it? I'm not sure what you mean by indexing but I'm guessing there is some kind of alignment required for certain type of flash/comps. Anyways thanks for responding to my post.

ar15barrels
08-12-2007, 2:07 PM
Interesting read on your website. How much would it be to do the detent for the gas block set screws and change over to the Samson free float. Also I bought a brand new YHM phantom and do I need to index it? I'm not sure what you mean by indexing but I'm guessing there is some kind of alignment required for certain type of flash/comps. Anyways thanks for responding to my post.

$40 to tear down and rebuild an upper.
This covers installation of about anything that does not require machine work.
$10 to add a detent to the barrel before re-asembling the upper.
YHM Phantoms should include a crush washer so there's no charge to index them WITH the crush washer as this is covered in the "tear down and rebuild" fee.
If you want the phantom installed WITHOUT a crush washer, it's $10 for indexing by machining the barrel so that they align properly.
Indexing by machining is usually reserved for brakes so that the installation looks more professional.
Phantoms are already big blocky things and don't really benefit visually by removing the crush washer.