PDA

View Full Version : leo and military only firearms. what are the laws?

gparker5150
12-15-2012, 2:16 PM
this is my first time getting on calguns, i looked through the posts for just a few minutes and did't see an answer to my question so here goes. I've just come home from training in the U.S. Army. I'm in the reserves and was wondering if since i'm in the military does that mean i can buy any weapons that might be restricted to other buyers? I'm not looking to buy a rocket launcher or anything the exact weapon that has my attention is a Springfield XD M (.45 acp) i hope thats plenty of info, if not then ask anything and I'll answer to the best of my ability. thanx.

Z06
12-15-2012, 2:27 PM
As stupid as it sounds and while you can defend our country(thank you for your service) you cannot buy off list guns. Only active Leo's can. You can however buy the gun your looking for through a ppt. So yes and no. You can buy. Just can't walk into a gun store and buy brand new.

Hope this helped

Librarian
12-15-2012, 2:51 PM
Z06 is correct.

There is no military exemption from the California Roster of Handguns.

jj805
12-15-2012, 2:57 PM
Look into the Single Shot Exemption (SSE).

Glock31B
12-15-2012, 3:01 PM
Im in the Army Reserves, to CA this doesnt mean anything. Still have to follow CA law as if we were just citizens "and im a MP". You can however do PPT and SSE. As for AR platforms you still have to follow CA law. 10 round mag with BB on it if with pistol grap etc, unless you were lucky enough to get a RAW when they were given them out......

RickD427
12-15-2012, 3:22 PM
First of all, thank you for your service.

The above posters are correct. There are no provisions in the law for military members to acquire "off-roster" firearms. You can lawfully acquire one through the PPT process from a private seller.

If your military travels take you out of California on PCS orders, you could purchase an XD from the state where you are stationed, and then bring it back to California. You would be required to report it to DOJ and pay a fee.

Librarian
12-15-2012, 4:14 PM
If your military travels take you out of California on PCS orders, you could purchase an XD from the state where you are stationed, and then bring it back to California. You would be required to report it to DOJ and pay a fee.

No new-resident registration for military, until they separate in CA.

See the wiki article on moving to CA -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

RickD427
12-15-2012, 4:29 PM
No new-resident registration for military, until they separate in CA.

See the wiki article on moving to CA -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

Librarian,

Good point. I was drawing on the OP's statement that he was a reservist. I was in the same boat for 23 years. Reservists can go on AD/PCS orders, but are normally returned home in a non-active duty status. That triggers the DOJ reporting requirement.

gparker5150
12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
well thank you all very much for all the input. Everything you all have said is pretty much in line with what i thought but i was hoping that maybe there was a loop hole I didn't know about. I will look into getting an XD any way i can as long as its legal of course, but first i think I'll be building an AR just for fun. I've seen more than a few posts about them and what I can and can't do but what about a mini 30? I've got a nice one I'd like to "dress up" a little. Is a Mini 30 pretty much the same as an AR as far as taking it from a standard looking long gun to a "tactical" looking configuration?

cw001338
12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
As stupid as it sounds and while you can defend our country(thank you for your service) you cannot buy off list guns. Only active Leo's can. You can however buy the gun your looking for through a ppt. So yes and no. You can buy. Just can't walk into a gun store and buy brand new.

Hope this helped

How does this apply to long guns such as banned AR's like the Bushmaster XM-15 for personal use? Not like it matters since my AR's are one's I've built from Franklin lowers. They have bullet buttons and all. As an LEO am I exempt from banned lowers on personal AR's?? Or for that matter having a bullet button on personal rifles? Just curious because I own a Ruger LCP for personal protection when I'm not on duty and that is not a firearm non LEO's can purchase unless its through PPT, wondering if that applies to the long guns. Thanks for any insight.

Z06
12-16-2012, 12:38 AM
How does this apply to long guns such as banned AR's like the Bushmaster XM-15 for personal use? Not like it matters since my AR's are one's I've built from Franklin lowers. They have bullet buttons and all (though I can possess the 30 round mags). As an LEO am I exempt from banned lowers on personal AR's?? Or for that matter having a bullet button on personal rifles? Just curious because I own a Ruger LCP for personal protection when I'm not on duty and that is not a firearm non LEO's can purchase unless its through PPT, wondering if that applies to the long guns. Thanks for any insight.

My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is active Leo are able to buy whatever. I don't think you are required to have a bullet button.

A good friend of mine is a riverside county sheriff. He owns colt ar's without bullet buttons. So I'm pretty sure you can being active Leo also.

Again someone correct me if I am wrong.

I can't wait to move to a gun friendly state....all these laws are so confusing!!

Librarian
12-16-2012, 1:15 AM
How does this apply to long guns such as banned AR's like the Bushmaster XM-15 for personal use? Not like it matters since my AR's are one's I've built from Franklin lowers. They have bullet buttons and all. As an LEO am I exempt from banned lowers on personal AR's?? Or for that matter having a bullet button on personal rifles? Just curious because I own a Ruger LCP for personal protection when I'm not on duty and that is not a firearm non LEO's can purchase unless its through PPT, wondering if that applies to the long guns. Thanks for any insight.

LEO need a letter from their chief before they can buy rifles for duty use that CA calls 'assault weapons'.

cw001338
12-16-2012, 1:54 AM
LEO need a letter from their chief before they can buy rifles for duty use that CA calls 'assault weapons'.

Gotcha. What about 30 round mags? I can possess them for work with a duty rifle, what about with my OLL built rifle? Or am I restricted to 10 rounders for personal use? I've been told I can use the 30 rounders since I'm LEO so long as I'm carrying my ID to show I'm LE. Just curious. I just built my first OLL rifle and in the process of my second one (which is almost done) and before I go to the range to start using them I want to make sure it's within guidelines.

thanks for any insight.

Librarian
12-16-2012, 3:25 AM
Gotcha. What about 30 round mags? I can possess them for work with a duty rifle, what about with my OLL built rifle? Or am I restricted to 10 rounders for personal use? I've been told I can use the 30 rounders since I'm LEO so long as I'm carrying my ID to show I'm LE. Just curious. I just built my first OLL rifle and in the process of my second one (which is almost done) and before I go to the range to start using them I want to make sure it's within guidelines.

thanks for any insight.

See the magazine qs link, below.

Cannot use 30-rounders in a bullet-buttoned rifle - LEO not exempt from manufacturing 'assault weapons' charges. See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475423

cw001338
12-16-2012, 3:33 AM
Thanks Librarian! I think you saved me some potential severe heartache!

Jason P
12-16-2012, 7:45 AM
Im in the Army Reserves, to CA this doesnt mean anything. Still have to follow CA law as if we were just citizens "and im a MP". You can however do PPT and SSE. As for AR platforms you still have to follow CA law. 10 round mag with BB on it if with pistol grap etc, unless you were lucky enough to get a RAW when they were given them out......

You are just a citizen.

Glock31B
12-16-2012, 2:35 PM
You are just a citizen.

I understand that, that is what I said.....