PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing

pklin1297
08-09-2007, 9:41 PM
Hello,

Can anodizing (like on AR receivers) be blasted off, or does it have to be chemically stripped?

elsolo
08-10-2007, 8:55 AM
You are better off doing it chemiaclly.
Media blasting will give you a more uneven surface, you'll not notice until you try to polish it or whatnot.

One easy home method to remove anodizing is Easy-Off over cleaner and Scothbrite. It takes some elbow grease, and rubber gloves. Practice on something unimportant, like an old mimimag flashlight body.

Riodog
08-23-2007, 9:12 PM
While easyoff works okay, If you're thinking of having it re-anodized or if you have an anodizer close by, let them strip it for you as it will come out nicer.
Just my experience from years of doing boat parts.
Rio

pklin1297
08-27-2007, 4:00 PM
Since I will be recoating these receivers with Duracoat, I would actually prefer a more uneven surface for the Duracoat to "grab" onto. I will probably be sending them to Techplate in Anaheim to get done so I will talk to them also about this. Thanks all.

ar15barrels
08-27-2007, 4:42 PM
Since I will be recoating these receivers with Duracoat, I would actually prefer a more uneven surface for the Duracoat to "grab" onto. I will probably be sending them to Techplate in Anaheim to get done so I will talk to them also about this. Thanks all.

Just a warning about spray-on finishes and AR receivers...
Don't strip the anodizing or the dry lube from the INSIDE of the upper receiver.
Don't spray any finish INSIDE the upper receiver.

I have helped guys fix their uppers after they did this.
The paint had to all be removed from the inside of the receiver.
You need the anodizing to give the aluminum a hard "skin" for the carrier to slide on.

If you want to blast the outside of the receiver prior to duracoat, have-at-it, but mask the inside and certainly don't chemically strip it.

pklin1297
08-28-2007, 4:01 PM
Thanks Randall... I won't make that mistake again spraying paint on the inside, as I've learned from my first painted AR... :)

This set of upper and lower receiver however were already inproperly chemically-stripped so I will have to ask the plater to strip it completely then re-anodize in clear so I can apply any color to the outside easier. I find out with painting the last receiver that black anodizing requires a lot of paint to cover.

What blasting media is required to remove anodizing?