PDA

View Full Version : Whats the skinny on Duncan Hunter?

tgriffin
08-09-2007, 6:56 PM
I know we have a bunch of Ron Paul and Fred Thompson fans here, but I was reading about the Iowa straw poll today and saw a name I havent heard before connected with the presidential race. Duncan Hunter. He is a California Republican, but I have never heard of him before today. Anyone know anything about him? His campaign site says he is solidly pro 2nd amendment.

Just curious.

tango-52
08-09-2007, 7:08 PM
Very Pro-2A. Was Chairman of the Armed Services Committee (I think). I was in his district for many years until the boundaries were changed. Went to some of his fund raisers. Very dependable conservative vote.

Josh3239
08-09-2007, 8:06 PM
IMHO the best candidate up there, which is why he won't get elected. That and he doesn't have nearly as much money as the top candidates.

-Very pro 2A
-Very tough on illegal immigration and wants to build a border fence
-Actually understands whats going on in Iraq (his son is also serving there) and supports the war
-Wants to pardon Compean and Ramos
-Wants to stop China from cheating on trade

damon1272
08-09-2007, 8:53 PM
Duncan Hunter is a great man. He has represented my district for 15+ years. He is one of the best canidates up there but has as much chance of winning as Ron Paul. Too bad, he would make a great President or Vice President.

JALLEN
08-09-2007, 9:14 PM
I went to law school with Hunter, a long time ago, and he has been a San Diego congressman since 1980 or so. He beat a well entrenched Democratic incumbent, and went on to become Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee until the Dems took over in the last election. I have attended fund raisers and contributed to his campaigns, even though I do not live in his district. My Congressperson is a woman I would rather have nothing to do with, so as not to feed the hand that bites me.

It's hard to say whether he would be effective as President, but his views on the issues are certainly sound. That isn't enough, IMnotalwayssoHO; you have to be effective at making the other guys do what you want/need, and be good at "playing the game". He has excellent experience in Congress, and has "played the game." Of course, as a conservative Republican, his IQ is automatically half of normal folks.

He has run into trouble over the taxes and assessments on his house in Alpine. The Pulitzer Prize winning San Diego Union-Tribune has been trying to do another Duke Cunningham on this; so far, no blood drawn.

All that said, if the primary were held today I would be inclined to vote for him for the nomination.

Piper
08-10-2007, 8:25 AM
I know we have a bunch of Ron Paul and Fred Thompson fans here, but I was reading about the Iowa straw poll today and saw a name I havent heard before connected with the presidential race. Duncan Hunter. He is a California Republican, but I have never heard of him before today. Anyone know anything about him? His campaign site says he is solidly pro 2nd amendment.

Just curious.

I listened to him on NRA news last night. I know him from when I lived in Imperial Valley. He's a congressman and I believe he represents Imperial, San Diego, And Riverside counties. I'm just guessing at this point. But he's always been Republican and conservative.

Kestryll
08-10-2007, 8:55 AM
Hunter is one of my top two, I would prefer him to be the winner but I suspect between lack of funds and lack of name recognition he won't be able to go past the Primaries.

Check out his site: http://www.gohunter08.com/

One thing I like about him and his website is that like it or not his views and convictions are right there to be seen.
Including his 2nd Amendment views.

Second Amendment

It seems every election year, some liberal politician dons an NRA cap and grabs a shotgun for a hunting photo-op, as if that means they support our right as Americans to keep and bear arms. I, myself, thoroughly enjoy hunting, having just recently spent a great weekend hunting elk in Arizona. But, the Second Amendment is not about hunting. It is about the right of you and me to be secure in our homes. We must vigorously defend against all attempts to chip away at the Second Amendment. You know as well as I do that there is one thing criminals prefer over any other: unarmed victims.

Rob P.
08-10-2007, 9:04 AM
The problem with Hunter and the other 2d tier candidates is that they have no charisma. Without the ability to polarize people you cannot gather a large enough following to be a successful presidential candidate.

Take Richardson for ex: At the last debate he looked uncomfortable and distinctly dowdy in his rumpled looking suit. Bad visuals to carry forward especially when combined with his non-platform positions.

Rudy, Hillary, et al, make the press salivate because they polarize the public. Even if what they say is illiogical or nonsensical it still gets attention because of the controversy it raises. And they are photogenic (they always look like they are cool calm and collected, never look rumpled or out of sorts or sweaty, etc).

TKM
08-11-2007, 10:41 AM
He's a great guy. He really gets it.

I've voted for him many times. I would love to see him in The White House.

It's a damn shame that most people have never heard of him.

jumbopanda
08-11-2007, 12:59 PM
The problem with Hunter and the other 2d tier candidates is that they have no charisma. Without the ability to polarize people you cannot gather a large enough following to be a successful presidential candidate.

Take Richardson for ex: At the last debate he looked uncomfortable and distinctly dowdy in his rumpled looking suit. Bad visuals to carry forward especially when combined with his non-platform positions.

Rudy, Hillary, et al, make the press salivate because they polarize the public. Even if what they say is illiogical or nonsensical it still gets attention because of the controversy it raises. And they are photogenic (they always look like they are cool calm and collected, never look rumpled or out of sorts or sweaty, etc).

Very true. Barack Obama hasn't even finished his first term in the Senate, and his inexperience shows. Yet people love him because he's charismatic (the fact that he's black helps too since people love to raise a big deal over race for no good reason).