PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from the community please....

1911 .45
12-14-2012, 8:22 PM
I purchased a gun from my buddy. I'm from out of state and have lived here for a few years now. I never registered the gun here....Do I need to book it to an FFL tomorrow and register the gun here? What am I looking at!??! I didn't even know this was necessary not being a CA native. Thanks

uxo2
12-14-2012, 8:25 PM
mail in form..voluntary registration

i believe its 19 bucks per gun

foxtrotuniformlima
12-14-2012, 8:28 PM
Most transfers of firearms in California must be done through a FFL. When did you purchase said gun & what kind of firearm ?

Let's assume it is not C&R eligible.

For 2 California residents, you both need to go to the FFL and do what is called a PPT or private party transfer.

1911 .45
12-14-2012, 8:36 PM
It's a .45 Handgun

I have since purchased guns here in CA and they are CA Legal AR15's. I know about a lot of the laws that didn't exist in my previous state (Oregon). Just learning as I go, but this scared me pretty good. Would they book me over something like this here in CA? Or just slap a fine for a gun that wasn't transferred properly???

HowardW56
12-14-2012, 8:43 PM
They are more interested in getting the gun registered... Send in the form & $19.00...

mdimeo
12-14-2012, 9:41 PM
It's a .45 Handgun

I have since purchased guns here in CA and they are CA Legal AR15's. I know about a lot of the laws that didn't exist in my previous state (Oregon). Just learning as I go, but this scared me pretty good. Would they book me over something like this here in CA? Or just slap a fine for a gun that wasn't transferred properly???

Don't stress out about it. Fill in the volreg form and you'll be fine.

Librarian
12-14-2012, 9:52 PM
Don't stress out about it. Fill in the volreg form and you'll be fine.

Preferred is the new resident form - see the wiki http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

CaliforniaLiberal
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
It's a .45 Handgun

No biggie. No sweat. This is a pretty common question here.

If you brought the gun to California when you moved here you were supposed to send in the form and $19. Consensus on CalGuns is that no one has ever been hassled for sending in the form late; that the CA DOJ is just glad to get your gun in their data base. As far as anyone around here knows there has never been a harsh word, a fine, or a criminal persecution for being late. They don't ask you when you brought it into the state so they don't even know that your sending in the form late.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Here's the form

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

And by the way, the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale only applies to sales from FFL Dealers stock, or to importation for sale. Does not apply to bringing your guns with you when you move or to PPT sales. As long as it's not an "Assault Weapon" it doesn't matter what model your handgun is.