PDA

View Full Version : Len Tillem Show: Conealed handgun bust at shooting spot in Pacifica

Creeping Incrementalism
08-09-2007, 2:50 PM
I heard this secondhand: On Len Tillem's (KGO radio lawyer) show this afternoon, a caller said he was at an off-range plinking spot near Pacifica where he had gone shooting for years. Someone heard the shooting and called the cops. The caller had a handgun in either a unlocked case, or a non-locking case (I don't know if it was loaded), in the bed of his pickup, and was busted by the police for a concealed handgun charge. Tillem said the guy should get a public defender because the charge was so easy to beat. Anyone know anything else about this?

QuarterBoreGunner
08-09-2007, 2:56 PM
First I've heard of it; when was this supposed to have happened?

bwiese
08-09-2007, 3:07 PM
He's lucky he got popped for that instead of illegal discharge in unauthorized area.

I dunno any legal area in Pacifica or immediate area to shoot since Sharp Park closed.

QuarterBoreGunner
08-09-2007, 3:17 PM
Bill, there are none.

And don't think I haven't thought about a business opp...

WolfMansDad
08-09-2007, 4:36 PM
I love the idea of just going out to the boonies to do some plinking, but my wife convinced me that life would be a whole lot simpler if I just ponied up the cash and went to Angeles. I think she is right.

Too bad about this guy, though. I hope he beats these charges.

FreedomIsNotFree
08-09-2007, 5:36 PM
Possibly an unincorporated area? Was this within city limits?

Creeping Incrementalism
08-09-2007, 5:57 PM
I don't know any more than what I put in my original post, but I assume this happened quite recently, since the man who was arrested doesn't even have a lawyer yet. Looking on Google Earth looks like there's a lot of dirt roads leading to semi-remote hills both inside and outside of city limits (narrow yellow line) where someone might try plinking.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/pdd/pacifica.JPG

Rickfifty
08-09-2007, 6:08 PM
I heard the spot. Guy said his guns were in the back of a pickup, unloaded, in cases but not locked, ammo separate. Len said he could beat it.
On another note, Tillum related that he went to a range with a retired CHP years ago and the guy laid his revolver on the seat, cylinder open, and told Len that's how it should be done...or words to that effect.

M. Sage
08-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Those aren't actually roads, and I think they're all gated for "authorized" access only. They're either fire roads, or access to water towers, pumping stations, etc. and antennas.

You could probably hike out into the hills and shoot, but you'd have to be careful not to trespass on San Francisco's property: they (water department) own the area around San Andreas Lake, IIRC.

Lots of that land is Golden Gate National Recreation Area, too. I think it's no guns in there.