PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for you guys

StraightShooter
08-09-2007, 3:19 PM
My dad's brother bought a colt ar-15 sporter back when it was legal and it is registered in his name. Unfortunately his brother recently suffered a severe stroke and is parilyzed on half of his body. He obviously has no need for the rifle anymore and was wondering if he could transfer it to my dad. Or could he transfer it to my dad's dad and then back to my dad? Im not sure how the transfer laws work or if you can even transfer an AW. I think I already know that the answer will be no but i was just curious. Thanks guys.

50 Shooter
08-09-2007, 3:24 PM
If it's an AW, no.

Only option is for him to sell it to someone out of state.

StraightShooter
08-09-2007, 3:26 PM
I am assuming AW stands for assault weapon right? Sorry i was just guessing on that one.

Also, because of the stroke he is having major complications and may not live that much longer. What should happen to the rifle if he should pass away?

BONECUTTER
08-09-2007, 3:38 PM
I am assuming AW stands for assault weapon right? Sorry i was just guessing on that one.

Also, because of the stroke he is having major complications and may not live that much longer. What should happen to the rifle if he should pass away?

There is no way to transfer a Registered Assualt rifle to someone else in CA, even family. As stated it can be sold out of state. You can even strip the parts and use them on a OLL that his father purchases, just build it to comply with CA laws.

Its just the receiver that you can't touch. If he passes and still has a registered AW in his name I beleive you have to surrend it to police or have it rendered permantly inoproable (sp?).

My best wishes on his health.

JesseXXX
08-09-2007, 3:39 PM
Prayers.

StraightShooter
08-09-2007, 3:42 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the info and especially the compassion.

hoffmang
08-09-2007, 4:11 PM
The executor of the estate can transfer the rifle to an AW permitted FFL and either sell it to him or sell it out of state.

Note that your dad could strip the registered AW of everything except the lower and a few of the not easily removed lower parts, purchase an off list lower and a parts kit, and rebuild the rifle into a CA Compliant non-AW rifle which would salvage most of the value.

Very sorry for your loss.

-Gene