PDA

View Full Version : friend wants to give me a pistol from another state

atlas
08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

I know this has been hashed out more than a few times, but...

a friend wants to give me a pistol and he lives in another state. so assuming my FFL is willing can he just overnight the pistol straight to my FFL? Or is he required to have an FFL in his state send it.

I used the search button and got a little confused with the plethora of threads on the topic.

atlas

Hunter
08-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I know this has been hashed out more than a few times, but...

a friend wants to give me a pistol and he lives in another state. so assuming my FFL is willing can he just overnight the pistol straight to my FFL? Or is he required to have an FFL in his state send it.

I used the search button and got a little confused with the plethora of threads on the topic.

atlas

Pistol can be shipped directly to your FFL. BUT it must be on the approved handgun list for transfer. Check the BOF site for the list to verify if it is approved for sale in CA or not or if it is exempted. If it is allowed, then no problem...just have him send it to your FFL dealer.

dfletcher
08-09-2007, 12:54 PM
In addition, the receiving FFL may want the gun to be sent via another FFL dealer. That's not law just a preference, you should (probably already have?) confirm this with your receiving FFL.

atlas
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
is it considered a private party transfer if there is no out of state FFL involved? I am wondering if the one per 30 day thing applies here?

how about a handgun shipped to my FFL by an individual from inside california? Would it be a PPT? and also 30 days does or doesn't apply?

blkA4alb
08-10-2007, 10:55 PM
No, unless you can shake that persons hand at the end of the transfer its not a PPT.

Shane916
08-10-2007, 10:57 PM
is it considered a private party transfer if there is no out of state FFL involved? I am wondering if the one per 30 day thing applies here?

how about a handgun shipped to my FFL by an individual from inside california? Would it be a PPT? and also 30 days does or doesn't apply?

It will count as the 1 per 30 day.

Any rifle/shotgun/handgun shipped to your FFL from inside CA or outside is a normal transfer and like stated before in regards to handguns, they have to be on the list.

Shane916
08-10-2007, 10:58 PM
No, unless you can shake that persons hand at the end of the transfer its not a PPT.

Well that sums it up rather nicely!

leelaw
08-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Not quite. It is possible to have a by-mail PPT transfer between two CA residents, similar to the process of completing a PPT at a gun show.. kinda..

It's been hashed out on the boards, and I called CA DOJ to confirm that it's possible.

A transfer across state lines can not be exempted as PPT, however.

hoffmang
08-11-2007, 9:19 AM
As an aside, I can not wait for federal law to on this subject to die...

-Gene

RANGER295
08-12-2007, 9:18 PM
As an aside, I can not wait for federal law to on this subject to die...

-Gene
It has a sunset clause?

hoffmang
08-12-2007, 9:36 PM
Yeah... Its called Parker v. DC...

-Gene