PDA

View Full Version : Dog Food

Foresight88
12-14-2012, 11:07 AM
What's up Gunners

I am looking to purchase some dog food in bulk. The bags I am buying are so damn expensive, but I want to make sure my dog eats high quality food (ie: no wheat, corn, or soy).

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/8/859610002702C.jpg

This is the stuff I am looking for.

any info helps. Sites, discount codes, etc.

gemoose23
12-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Check out Bones and Raw Food (B.A.R.F.) pet food diets. It is DIY and you use a grinder.

In 3rd world countries, dogs eat what ever is left over from the family. :)

Cnynrat
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
The Blue Wilderness food is good stuff. One thing I'd be concerned about is most of the good quality dog foods don't have preservatives, so you'll need to have a good rotation strategy to make sure you use it before it goes bad.

Montu
12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
not sure where you've been getting your stuff from..I don't bulk order but I find the the individual bags the cheapest @ amazon using cgf link and chewy.com (couple bucks cheaper than amazon..no prime/cgf though)

Raivkka
12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
View this site to determine what IS good food.
Then just search the net for the best price.

That is considered good.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

delta9
12-14-2012, 1:12 PM
So whats wrong with wheat, corn, or soy? FYI wheat and corn are grains and are excellent sources of carbohydrates and protein.

Seriously, go for the Costco Kirkland kibble - it's a quality ration

Dutch3
12-14-2012, 2:41 PM
I would be concerned about shelf life as well. I have small dogs and it takes them forever to consume a 50 lb bag of food, so I buy in smaller quantities to ensure freshness. I wonder if the bucket/mylar/02 absorber process would appreciably increase the storage life of pet food.

When I saw the thread subject, I wondered for a moment if it was about dog food for human consumption. I suppose humans could survive on dry dog food, but I don't know about the palatability, as I have never tried it.

I will admit that I did try a "Pup-eroni" dog treat once. They do smell good and once, when I was passing out some treats to the little yappers I decided to try a bite. While they might smell like a pepperoni sausage or similar, they taste like burned tire rubber that has been doused with kerosene and dragged through a drainage ditch. Two thumbs down, I do not recommend.

olhunter
12-14-2012, 3:18 PM
So whats wrong with wheat, corn, or soy? FYI wheat and corn are grains and are excellent sources of carbohydrates and protein.

Excellent sources for people. Dogs are genetically meat eaters and don't digest corn and grains well. So says the aforementioned website.

That said, my dogs get whatever is on sale and LIKE IT!

And on topic.....I packed up about 25 lbs of dry food in a bucket with O2 absorbers just like our stuff. The dogs better hope it works.

OriginalDuplicate
12-14-2012, 3:54 PM
If you are a Costco member you can try Nature's Domain. High quality dog food. I pick a bag up every other time I go to Costco for my dogs. This ensures I have 1-2 bags in addition to the one I have open for my dogs.

I think I pay about $35 for 30 .lbs at Costco. Not sure if that is more or less than your preferred brand.

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/about-natures-domain

OriginalDuplicate
12-14-2012, 3:54 PM
If you are a Costco member you can try Nature's Domain. High quality dog food. I pick a bag up every other time I go to Costco for my dogs. This ensures I have 1-2 bags in addition to the one I have open for my dogs.

I think I pay about $35 for 30 .lbs at Costco. Not sure if that is more or less than your preferred brand.

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/about-natures-domain

delta9
12-14-2012, 3:57 PM
Excellent sources for people. Dogs are genetically meat eaters and don't digest corn and grains well. So says the aforementioned website.

I missed the referenced website but actually dogs are omnivorous and have no trouble digesting corn and grains.

FYI - I have studied veterinary nutrition and physiology in an academic setting

GunGreg2107
12-14-2012, 7:23 PM
We feed natural balance at both home and work the sweet potato and venison, I am extremely happy with it. We offer it for sale at work for a deeply discounted price over retail.

vortec_cruiser
12-15-2012, 10:00 AM
We feed natural balance at both home and work the sweet potato and venison, I am extremely happy with it. We offer it for sale at work for a deeply discounted price over retail.
I'd be interested in where and how much.;)

Montu
12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I missed the referenced website but actually dogs are omnivorous and have no trouble digesting corn and grains.

you know its quite interesting I never looked at the dog food rating for kirkland..turns out its quite good except I have noticed the recommendation for grain free foods..the web site still rated it as a 4 star. Interesting..my dog gets taste of the wild which averages 4.5 stars but I'm sure is way more expensive.

the following is the site i use which uses a 1-5 star rating.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Horton Fenty
12-15-2012, 11:07 AM
The more dogs you have the more choosing a food becomes a pita. Our vet always pushes the grain/gluten free foods, So that's what I look for. Solid Gold makes good dog food, I buy this (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/solid-gold-dog-food-barking-moon/) one.

cudakidd
12-15-2012, 3:08 PM
I use a mix of Solid Gold and Taste of the Wild, stored in permanent containers...

ElvenSoul
12-15-2012, 4:54 PM
What is the shelf life?

Intimid8tor
12-15-2012, 5:19 PM
Our dogs eat ducks in the summer, or at least they did last summer.

Other than that they get kirkland food. They used to be on science diet, but it just gets too expensive. One gets lamb and rice and the other gets weight control.

LAKA90034
12-15-2012, 8:15 PM
I have fed Kirkland foods for...well the adult lives of my last 3 dogs...
I've never felt it was a bad choice nor have they ever shown any adveres signs at all.

With my most recent I fed giant breed puppy until he was 2, then Kirkland Chicken..

krnrspd
12-15-2012, 8:26 PM
I feed mine taste of the wild: wild prairie. It's actually not that expensive 30 pounds cost me 39.99 at pet food depot and right now they have 10 percent off which iessentially covers tax.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cudakidd
12-16-2012, 6:45 AM
The shelf life is extended as long as you can keep it air tight, cool and dry for dog food. I use these, keeps ants and moisture out. store it indoors in a cool room away from sunlight...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamma-Plastics-Vittles-Vault-50-Airtight-Pet-Food-Stor-/200838146674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

psychophd
12-16-2012, 8:57 AM
Depends on how much you're looking for. I *think* the avg liftetime of dog food is about 12-16 months, according to what's listed on the bag of food I get. I typically buy 2-4 bags of it whenever I'm in the Bay Area, as "Pet Club" in Oakland is about 15% cheaper than Petsmart/Petco type of stores down here. So I typically have on hand a 3-5 month supply of food for my dog, and I figure if I have to go beyond that, he'll be eating whatever I'm eating.

slo5oh
12-16-2012, 5:27 PM

My first dog had problems with corn based food. He was getting what are called hot spots. The vet said it could be lots of things but commonly just a food allergy most likely corn. I bought some expensive dog food (forget the brand now) and the spots went away. Next time I was in my costco shopping for normal family stuff I skimmed over their dog foods very happy to see that there's no corn listed in the ingredients of the Kirkland stuff. So, +1 on the costco aka Kirkland dog food, It costs a little more than corn based food but none of my dogs have ever had hot spots from it.

delta9
12-16-2012, 6:16 PM
How do you know for sure that it was corn that was causing your dog's hot spots? Hot spots can be caused by a hundred things and true corn allergies in dogs are rare. Most skin problems are due to environmental allergens or irritants, not food. There have been studies that have shown that corn actually helps animals to not be so allergic to people! The whole grain/corn free food fad is all marketing gimmicks and people getting their nutritional information from pet stores, neighbors, garbageman, and from the internet rather than their veterinarian

Sonic_mike
12-16-2012, 6:27 PM
Royal canin says they have a shelf life ( if kept dry) of one month.

Horton Fenty
12-16-2012, 6:34 PM
How do you know for sure that it was corn that was causing your dog's hot spots? Hot spots can be caused by a hundred things and true corn allergies in dogs are rare. Most skin problems are due to environmental allergens or irritants, not food. There have been studies that have shown that corn actually helps animals to not be so allergic to people! The whole grain/corn free food fad is all marketing gimmicks and people getting their nutritional information from pet stores, neighbors, garbageman, and from the internet rather than their veterinarian

The grain free dog food recommendation came from my vet. People would be wise, as you mentioned, to listen to their vet and not people on the internet....like you and I. It doesn't take much thought however for anyone to come to the correct conclusion that dogs should have a high protein, high fat, low card diet.

Lots of dogs can have or develop food allergies that appear in either a skin irritation or a ears/nose/throat infection. Of course it all depends on the individual dog.

One of my dogs can't have lamb. His skin becomes red and dry, like a rash, behind the joints. Took a while to figure out what the problem was. Another dog I have can't have food with yeast in it, he gets massive ear infections. Lot's of dog food has brewers yeast added.

TheChief
12-17-2012, 7:25 AM
I buy mine from the big box store and keep about 4-6 months in stock.

bruss01
12-17-2012, 7:45 AM
Dog food contains oils/fats. These will develop rancidity over time due to exposure to oxygen. For this reason, most dog food is good just "on the shelf" for about six months

If you want to keep dog food as long term storage (or any human dry food containing fats, such as brown rice) you have to remove oxygen from the equation. Most plastic is not an oxygen barrier. Oxygen will permeate a regular 5 gallon container and will go right through ziploc bags. It will NOT go through sealed mylar however. If you put your dog food in a mylar bag with an oxygen absorber, it should be good virtually indefinitely. It is a good idea to then protect the mylar bag from puncture, so we store them inside 5 gallon buckets.

Dog food + O2 absorber + mylar + bucket = excellent long term storage.

Xingu
12-17-2012, 7:54 AM

Candida albicans.
+1 on the costco. I mix the turkey and fish. My dogs skin got better and his ear problems have been resolved.

slo5oh
12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Delta9,
I changed food based on possible corn/food allergy suggested by my vet. Changing to no corn food stopped the hot spots so i never looked back.

Blue Ridge Reef
12-17-2012, 11:33 AM

I think a more honest statement would be "some dogs have no trouble digesting corn and grains." And a lot of people will still disagree with you on that one. Including people with PhD's and DVM's after their names. Are they obligate carnivores like a cat? No. But they aren't omnivores in the sense of a bear, either. They are descended from wolves, the ancestral diet isn't hard to figure out. And I can tell you this much as a pet store owner, I have seen a lot of dogs that have been on a corn based food switched to a high quality diet of grain free food for 30 days, and they look like new dogs. A lot of that is likely allergies to the grains, but it's something I see over and over. Give this a cursory glance: http://leerburg.com/diet.htm Not arguing, just throwing out more info.

ElvenSoul
12-18-2012, 6:40 PM
Every time I see this thread I think of Road Warrior where he eats the dog food.

FatCity67
12-18-2012, 6:54 PM
Costco Natures Domain.

Gotta keep the dog in good condition incase SHTF;)

Yeah keep that party hat on buddy and hope for the best.:43:

thehirtbike
12-19-2012, 7:20 PM
19.00 50lb bag at Walmart remember its a dog!

lehn20
12-19-2012, 11:35 PM
I use Natures Variety- rotational feeding. Venison meal and millet, Chicken and the salmon

ElvenSoul
12-20-2012, 7:12 PM
19.00 50lb bag at Walmart remember its a dog!

And that dog can turn into Emergency Ration Menchi real quick.

Saym14
12-23-2012, 3:33 PM
after SHTF my dogs will eat squerrles and other small animals.

badreligion
12-23-2012, 8:03 PM
Just feed my dog the left over Tri-tip from dinner. He eats better than some people. For regular dog food he gets Nutro.

9mill
12-27-2012, 4:10 PM
I rep'd for blue buffalo a couple years back, they never had sales or coupons. I don't know about now. Since you didnt say cost is an issue, blue is as good as it gets when it comes to dry food. But if you look at the cost of food made for dogs you can feed them better and cheaper visiting your butcher for fat trimmings add alittle beef and some veggies done. Dogs diets aren't that different from ours, which the exception that they use a higher fat% for energy and fat is really cheap if not free from the butcher.

delta9
12-27-2012, 7:23 PM
But if you look at the cost of food made for dogs you can feed them better and cheaper visiting your butcher for fat trimmings add alittle beef and some veggies done. Dogs diets aren't that different from ours, which the exception that they use a higher fat% for energy and fat is really cheap if not free from the butcher.

Don't try to do this on your own - just feeding "fat trimmings a little beef and some veggies" can get lead to some serious nutritional deficiencies. Also fat is not the best source for energy and an excess can put your dog in the hospital with pancreatitis. For energy your dog needs carbohydrates, not meat or fat

44fred
12-27-2012, 9:24 PM
Small dogs vs large is a whole different animal.
Until recently (last 12 years) I've always had larger dogs, Labs mostly. Currently have Miniture Schnauzers. Small breeds can't handle the large dog diet. Digestive problems with aging small dogs can usually be corrected with low fat diets. I know mine do much better with it.
BTW, I got an email flyer from Costco today. They now carry long shelf life (15 years) dog food. Prepping for your pooch!

Grizzled Bastard
12-27-2012, 9:38 PM

Then you should also be aware that Corn and Grains cause possibly the most allergic reactions in dogs. Bad skin and coat issues as well as gut tolerance issues.

I have had hard working field Labradors for years. I had become very tired of the $50+ per 32# bag of premiums that we were buying for years. did my research on foods and found that the Kirkland (Costco) product is made by Diamond and is a very premium food without the corn meals, etc. Lamb and Chicken are excellent and a true 40# bag is $26

It's all I buy for my current boy and he's a lean muscle machine with a gorgeous coat and no allergy or gut issues at all. Best part is he really likes it, too.

eyeruh
12-28-2012, 8:34 AM
The dogs eat Orijen. Supposedly one of the best on the market, at $65+ a 29.7lbs. bag it better be.

In reality that's cheap eating (one bag every six weeks won't kill us), they are members of the family and we treat them as such.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/

Horton Fenty
12-28-2012, 9:07 AM
The dogs eat Orijen. Supposedly one of the best on the market, at $65+ a 29.7lbs. bag it better be.

In reality that's cheap eating (one bag every six weeks won't kill us), they are members of the family and we treat them as such.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/

That dod food advisor site says it's good stuff.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-adult/

HK4113
12-28-2012, 9:19 AM
My dog eats Orijen too, Regional Red to be specific. The orijen plant caught fire not too long ago so production has been running at 40% of normal. Stock up on your dogs food because it might be running short.

Remember for every 12 orijen bags you buy, you get the 13th free. You just need to save the upc's off of the bag and give them back to your dog food supplier who will send the UPC's back to Orijen and give you a free bag of equal value to the ones you buy.

delta9
12-28-2012, 9:43 AM
Then you should also be aware that Corn and Grains cause possibly the most allergic reactions in dogs. Bad skin and coat issues as well as gut tolerance issues.

Actually corn is one of the least allergenic ingredients in dog food. In dogs 93% of all allergic reactions to food are caused by: Beef, dairy, wheat, lamb, chicken and soy.

From Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Ed.

"Corn is a nutritionally superior grain compared with others used in pet foods because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains. Corn provides a highly available source of complex carbohydrates and substantial quantities of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid important for heathy skin. Corn also provides essential amino acids and fiber. In a survey of veterinary dermatologists, corn was not listed among the ingredients most often suspected to cause food allergies. A review of over 200 confirmed canine cases of food allergy in the veterinary literature revealed only three were caused by corn. The same number was reported for rice."

The corn/grain free fed is a pet food company marketing gimmick based on mythology and not science

Grizzled Bastard
12-28-2012, 9:52 AM
Interesting citation. Goes completely against my personal experience with 2 dogs and 2 Vet diagnosis but still interesting info.

delta9
12-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Interesting citation. Goes completely against my personal experience with 2 dogs and 2 Vet diagnosis but still interesting info.

There is a ton of misinformation out there about pet foods and allergies. The FDA is beginning to crack down on many of the nutritional claims made by the pet food manufacturers. When ruling out food allergies typically one would do an "elimination diet" where you change the food protein to something that the dog hasn't been previously exposed to (duck, lamb, potato, etc). Many signs of allergies are seasonal or come in cycles. The dog gets better and you assume it's the change of diet but in reality it's the removal of an environmental allergen (pollen and dust mites are common culprits). The only way to tell for sure is to do intradermal skin testing +/- serum testing to determine what is really the cause.

eyeruh
12-28-2012, 1:39 PM
That dod food advisor site says it's good stuff.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-adult/
Yes sir! Best stuff for my Huskies.

As per DFA.com..

Orijen Adult is a meat-based dry dog food using an abundance of meat and fish meals as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 5 stars.
Enthusiastically recommended.
Those looking for a quality puppy kibble from the same company may wish to visit our review of Orijen dry puppy food.

My dog eats Orijen too, Regional Red to be specific. The orijen plant caught fire not too long ago so production has been running at 40% of normal. Stock up on your dogs food because it might be running short.

Remember for every 12 orijen bags you buy, you get the 13th free. You just need to save the upc's off of the bag and give them back to your dog food supplier who will send the UPC's back to Orijen and give you a free bag of equal value to the ones you buy.
I did not know about the plant fire. I'll have to go grab another bag this weekend.

Thanks!

DanM
12-28-2012, 9:32 PM
I feed a raw meat diet supplemented with certain vegtables for added nutrition. I hunt a lot and the majority of their food is game, birds are great and their uncooked bones are easily digested by cannines. A good raw diet is what their system is designed for, its simple and sustainable, they eat less and well that means a lot less waste.

supra
12-29-2012, 2:04 PM
Actually corn is one of the least allergenic ingredients in dog food. In dogs 93% of all allergic reactions to food are caused by: Beef, dairy, wheat, lamb, chicken and soy.

From Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Ed.

"Corn is a nutritionally superior grain compared with others used in pet foods because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains. Corn provides a highly available source of complex carbohydrates and substantial quantities of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid important for heathy skin. Corn also provides essential amino acids and fiber. In a survey of veterinary dermatologists, corn was not listed among the ingredients most often suspected to cause food allergies. A review of over 200 confirmed canine cases of food allergy in the veterinary literature revealed only three were caused by corn. The same number was reported for rice."

The corn/grain free fed is a pet food company marketing gimmick based on mythology and not science

This is true. Lots of misinformation out there. Only small portion of pets have food allergies, of those corn is one of the least allergenic.

dbbspider
01-09-2013, 8:44 PM
I have 4 dogs. I tried a lot of different types of dog foods, some with grain and some grain free. I even cook for my dogs for a while (vet approved ingredients). My dogs seemed to be healthiest on the cooked food. They did not poop as much as on dried dog food. Vet says that dry dog food has fillers which is why they popped more on it. I just don't have the time to cook for the dogs much now so now they get canidae and kahoots brand grain free kibble. They do fine on them and they are not too expensive. when I get a free day on the weekend, I will cook a batch of food for them and mix it with the kibble for the next week or so.