View Full Version : Cow Palace Gun Shows under attack from Mayor

bg
08-09-2007, 8:33 AM
Well the Mayor up in San Fran is once again attacking a legitimate source
of revenue for law abiding citizens. Claims he will do whatever he can
to get it stopped once and for all..>
http://www.examiner.com/a-872444%7ES_F__gun_shows_in_Newsom_s_crosshairs.htm l
excerpt

SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - A city hit hard by gun violence should not have gun sales at its back door, said Mayor Gavin Newsom, who is expected to announce today that The City is seeking state legislation to end gun shows at the Cow Palace.

While the exhibition hall is technically located in Daly City, it is just blocks away from San Francisco’s Sunnydale Housing Project, one of many neighborhoods in The City plagued by gun violence.

Although the gun shows are legal, Newsom said numerous illegal gun transactions occur in the parking lot during the show, which will take place Saturday and Sunday. Another gun show is scheduled in November.

“It needs to be shut down, and we’re going to do our best to do that,” Newsom said.

Any effort to stop the gun shows would require a change in state law, however, because the Cow Palace is owned and operated by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
I'm so ashamed of my home town. Well not the city, but the "leaders" who
are misleading it.

chiefcrash
08-09-2007, 8:45 AM
...Newsom said numerous illegal gun transactions occur in the parking lot...

yea, and i bet that no illegal gun transactions occur in ANY OTHER PARKING LOT AT ANY OTHER TIME...

It's not like you have gang bangers trading drugs and guns in the walmart parking lot... oh, wait...

JOEKILLA
08-09-2007, 8:57 AM
Even if you guys do not need to buy anything, maybe it is a good idea to show up just to show support.

This is so effing ridiculous.

I will be there first thing on Saturday morning. :D

Might even make it back on Sunday.

mecam
08-09-2007, 9:07 AM
What a tool... I will be there at 8:45am. Hopefully I can find a deal on a 2 stage RRA trigger.

dfletcher
08-09-2007, 9:12 AM
Even if you guys do not need to buy anything, maybe it is a good idea to show up just to show support.

I agree - we should be there on Saturday in force. There will be a protest group on the street and the media will no doubt be present. Protesters and a big stink by the Mayor & DA but a low turnout by the gun community will look bad. The Mayor vows he's going to work to make this the last show so a show of force is good on Saturday. I'd guess on Sunday the "protesters" will be nursing hangovers and suffering AM munchies, so Saturday would be the big day.

After the show, I'm taking the FAL & Mini to Chabot.

mecam
08-09-2007, 9:22 AM
I bet he own's a firearm himself, probably has a CCW too. Man, he should've been out of office after committing adultery and lied to the people about it.

JesseXXX
08-09-2007, 9:26 AM
Criminals Do Not Follow The Law!!!

hoozaru
08-09-2007, 9:45 AM
Take Alex Tourk to next Cow Palace Shows?

sevans
08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Legislation to ban the Cow Palace show is expected to be introduced today:

SFGate Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/09/BAGGPRFPC18.DTL)

hossb7
08-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Harris said 85 percent of the city's homicides committed in the last three years were gun deaths, compared to 60 percent in 2001. City officials say they know some guns are sold illegally after the gun show.

"It is time to stop throwing up our hands and start rolling up our sleeves. There are just too many illegal firearms on our city streets," she said.
So, you start banning guns and making rediculous legislation and crime goes up. What a shocking discovery!

Also the fact that she admited to "throwing up her hands" instead of actually trying to stop crime.

dfletcher
08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
And the new gun restrictions do not apply in public housing. Want to bet the problem gets worse, so next year they'll want to restrict more? The problem of course is that restrictions don't work, but instead of admitting that they go for more.

McMadCow
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
This is hilarious. I'll be there on Saturday morning with a friend who is looking to make his first ever purchase. I was only going to be stocking up on ammo, but in light of the hilarity outside I may have to finally seal the deal on a certain compact .45 I've had my eye on... :)

56Chevy
08-09-2007, 12:37 PM

I've been thinking about going even though I don't want anything. If I do go then I will go on Sunday because that's the day where I can buy another handgun. Maybe I'll find a good deal.

JOEKILLA
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I've been thinking about going even though I don't want anything. If I do go then I will go on Sunday because that's the day where I can buy another handgun. Maybe I'll find a good deal.

If you go on Saturday, you can come back the next day for free.

Got to pay for parking though, unless you park outside.

doctor_vals
08-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree - we should be there on Saturday in force. There will be a protest group on the street and the media will no doubt be present. Protesters and a big stink by the Mayor & DA but a low turnout by the gun community will look bad. The Mayor vows he's going to work to make this the last show so a show of force is good on Saturday. I'd guess on Sunday the "protesters" will be nursing hangovers and suffering AM munchies, so Saturday would be the big day.

After the show, I'm taking the FAL & Mini to Chabot.

I will go as well at Saturday morning.
At Sunday - going to Chabot with AK and 10/22

56Chevy
08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
If you go on Saturday, you can come back the next day for free.

Got to pay for parking though, unless you park outside.
Thanks for the tip.

doctor_vals
08-09-2007, 1:15 PM
I bet - Newsom and Leno have CCW license.
And they wont to be just few who able legally own guns in that most communist city in US.

56Chevy
08-09-2007, 1:39 PM
I bet - Newsom and Leno have CCW license.
And they wont to be just few who able legally own guns in that most communist city in US.
They probably CC a lot of things...weirdos.:rolleyes:

WokMaster1
08-09-2007, 3:50 PM
S.F. gun shows in Newsom’s crosshairs
10 hrs ago » S.F. gun shows in Newsom’s crosshairs «

Newsome's crosshairs????
I think they meant Newsome's pubic hairs.

56Chevy
08-09-2007, 5:22 PM
S.F. gun shows in Newsom’s crosshairs
10 hrs ago » S.F. gun shows in Newsom’s crosshairs «

Newsome's crosshairs????
I think they meant Newsome's pubic hairs.
That's a different kind of "gun" show.:rolleyes:

ghettoshecky
08-09-2007, 6:58 PM
I'm going see you guys there, how about you Iggy?

CalNRA
08-09-2007, 7:09 PM
so the city's policies has led to a generation of criminals with no fear of the citizens since they are very safe from the victims. Why didn't I think of that. If it doesn't work in one city, the answer must be to expand the policies to everyone around you, until every city is as bad as yours to your city will no longer be the most dangerous city in the area.

genius.

wilit
08-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the Cow Palace in Daly City, not SF?

mecam
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the Cow Palace in Daly City, not SF?

You are correct but he is *****in because Cow Palace is right on the border of SF and Daly City. He thinks SF criminals will be buying guns at the gun show parking lot. I think he needs to attend more AA meetings.

Solidmch
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Funny how Alameda county stopped gun shows and there gun violence has increased every year since. They just do not get it.

M. Sage
08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll be there on Saturday. I'll try to remember to wear my Calguns hat. :D

These guys are frigging idiots. Anybody else feel like taunting the protesters with me?

Tweak338
08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Its a 50/50 chance I will be attending this Sat.
The gunshow banning mumbo jumbo is retarded. I have never seen anyone sell stuff in the parking lot.

ghost
08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
i`ll be there saturday wearing my calguns shirt,hopefully no protestors get in my way:D

JOEKILLA
08-09-2007, 10:43 PM
What time are you guys going to be there? Let's meet up at the NRA booth.

Tweak338
08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm making a new thread in the General Gun section.
this is getting kinda off- topic

jdberger
08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, I wasn't really planning on going, but if the Mayor is gonna make noise, I guess that I'll have to show up wearing my favorite shirt....

http://www.sanfrantees.com/images/gavlarge.gif

BTW...these are available here.... (http://www.sanfrantees.com/gavin.htm)

Maybe I need one about Jesse Jackson and Kamala Harris......I'll have to explore some slogans.

And don't forget your Iggy Shirt (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63437).....

dfletcher
08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Funny how Alameda county stopped gun shows and there gun violence has increased every year since. They just do not get it.

You know we talk among ourselves about guns & laws & such - no real surprises we're on the same page. I chatted with a friend of mine over beers at Bing Crosby's in WC & his observation was that if guns cause crime, why is it that since there are now no gun stores in the city (he doesn't know of HighBridge) when before there were more - why does the murder & crime rate keep going up? He said it seems that fewer gun stores & fewer good guys with guns means the bad guys get free reign.

Now why can't other non - gun owners make tha connection?

BTW - his wife went to law school with & is still a good friend is Kimberly Guilfoyle. The Mayor's more of a bonehead than most folks know.

hoozaru
08-09-2007, 11:04 PM
here is a comment from sfwall.net early this year.

F*** Newsom This is bull****. I spent a year of my life during Newsom's campaign watching Tourk be the first person to show up each morning and leaving when he was the last in the office.
This is not how you treat the most loyal person imaginable.

I hope Newsom doesn't resign, I hope he loses in the nastiest manner possible.

http://p209.ezboard.com/Tourks-Out/fabledartsbathroomwallfrm21.showMessage?topicID=25 18.topic

M. Sage
08-09-2007, 11:12 PM
BTW...these are available here.... (http://www.sanfrantees.com/gavin.htm)

Maybe I need one about Jesse Jackson and Kamala Harris......I'll have to explore some slogans.

And don't forget your Iggy Shirt (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63437).....

Thanks! I was wondering where to get those Gavin shirts ever since I saw it at the Shoot-n-Q.

tom_92673
08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Newsome has a 75% approval rating and is basically running for reelection unopposed except for some idiot street artists. The guy is a total jack *ss, so it's appropriate that he is mayor of the city of jack *sses.

go to gavinnewsome.com for some insight into what an idiot this guy is.

bg
08-09-2007, 11:46 PM
One can see just how well gun control laws work by reflecting on this past
weekend's chilling incident in Newark N.J. regarding 4 innocent people. 3
dead, one badly wounded excution style. Not to say a weapon WOULD of
saved their lives if they had had one, but when a city, county or state
forbids one to legally have the right to protect one's self with a firearm,
then it's appears to be easy pickin's for something like this to happen.

Steyr_223
08-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Any man that can give this up, has something seriously wrong with him..She was to good for him.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/3471/KimberlyGu_Arun_5741995_400.jpg
http://www.foxnews.com/images/191117/6_61_guilfoyle_kim_320.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2007/02/kimguil.jpg
http://www.celebrity-babies.com/images/2007/05/14/splashnews_lsny120507t_002_cbb.jpg

aklon
08-10-2007, 8:48 AM
I see where Jay Leno is going to introduce legislation next January to do away with the Cow Palace gun show "whether sales there are illegal or not."

The Boys and Girls in Sacramento obviously have way too much time on their hands if they're worried about gun shows even though they have yet to pass a budget.

Is there anyone out there who will draft a propositon to put before the voters that would return us to a three month long legislative session every other year?

56Chevy
08-10-2007, 8:50 AM
i`ll be there saturday wearing my calguns shirt,hopefully no protestors get in my way:D
I could wear my Iron Maiden shirt with 2 AR-15's on it.:chris:

aklon
08-10-2007, 8:57 AM
I see where Jay Leno is going to introduce legislation ...

Um, let's make that MARK Leno.

mecam
08-10-2007, 9:29 AM
Any man that can give this up, has something seriously wrong with him..She was to good for him.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/191117/6_61_guilfoyle_kim_320.jpg

Rumor has it that she was a coverup for his homosexuality life... I even heard that on the local news back then.

Outlaw Josey Wales
08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
S.F. mayor, police chief, others call for gun-show ban at Cow Palace
Heather Knight, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, August 10, 2007

San Francisco political leaders Thursday called for the end of gun shows at the Cow Palace, saying the shows on state-owned property are effectively turning California into "a merchant of tools of death."

Standing in the parking lot of the indoor arena, District Attorney Kamala Harris, Mayor Gavin Newsom, Police Chief Heather Fong and Assemblyman Mark Leno said the shows - including Crossroads of the West Gun Show, which comes to the palace Saturday and Sunday - are directly contributing to the proliferation of illegal guns and spiking homicide rates in San Francisco.

They admitted to having no direct proof, but said they have heard countless stories from neighbors about guns - including AK47s and sawed-off shotguns - being illegally sold in the adjacent public housing developments and in the arena's parking lot during the gun shows.

The group is backing Leno's legislation to ban the sale of guns and ammunition at the arena.

"This place behind us, the Cow Palace, is state property that is allowing the state of California to be a merchant of tools of death," Harris said. "There is an absolute and direct connection with gun shows at Cow Palace."

Bob Templeton, president of the Utah-based Crossroads of the West Gun Show, disputed that claim, saying he has asked officials with the Daly City Police Department, Cow Palace management and the California Department of Justice whether they know of any illegal gun sales that have ever taken place at the shows. They all said no, according to Templeton.

Templeton added that the show has come to the arena for 23 years, and there have never been any arrests or charges filed against anybody for selling illegal guns there. He added that two uniformed Daly City police officers are always stationed at the show and that the show is monitored by the Gun Show Task Force, part of the state Justice Department that was created seven years ago by state legislation.

"It's distressing when politicians, for their own ends, make charges like these. These are simply allegations made by people who don't like guns," he said.

"We are selling guns to people who are hunters, outdoorsmen, law enforcement people and honest, law-abiding citizens," he said, noting that all purchasers go through mandatory background checks and are subject to 10-day waiting periods.

The CEO of the Cow Palace and the president of the arena's board of directors did not return calls for comment.

The arena was opened in 1941 and is an agency of the California Food and Agricultural Department's Division of Fairs and Expositions. Originally built to serve as a livestock pavilion, it now holds 100 events annually, including four to six gun shows as well as more innocuous activities including rodeos, dog shows, circuses and Disney on Ice.

San Francisco earlier this month adopted legislation banning gun shows on city and county property. Other counties, including Alameda, Marin and Los Angeles, have passed similar bans. But because the Cow Palace sits on state-owned land between San Francisco and San Mateo County, local governing bodies don't have authority over its gun shows.

Leno's legislation mirrors the effort former state Sen. Jackie Speier made to ban gun shows at the arena in 2004. Back then, passage of the legislation was urged by the San Francisco and San Mateo boards of supervisors. It was narrowly approved in the Senate, but narrowly defeated in the Assembly.

Speier's legislation was prompted by Brothers Against Guns, a Bayview-Hunters Point group, and Central American Resource Center in the Mission. Both groups conducted surveys of youth asking them the best way to end gun violence. The idea of shutting down gun shows was mentioned again and again, Leno said.

Shawn Richards, director of Brothers Against Guns, said people during the gun shows drive through the public housing developments near the arena, including Sunnydale, and illegally hawk weapons to residents. They also illegally sell weapons in the parking lot of the arena itself, he said.

Ingleside and Bayview-Hunters Point, which is near the Cow Palace, have been the sites of 142 homicides since Jan. 1, 2004 - 43 percent of the city total, Harris said.

Leno said that even if there's no direct proof tying a particular gun used in a homicide in San Francisco back to its sale at a Cow Palace gun show, a ban still makes sense.

He said the shows glamorize guns with "neon signs shouting guns, guns, guns" and aren't wanted by the neighbors who live around the arena. He added that if gun shows took place at venues in wealthier neighborhoods - say, at Kezar Pavilion or the Palace of Fine Arts - they would have been shut down long ago.

Leno said he expects the legislation to be heard in January and wind up on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's desk in March or April.

Newsom said he met three weeks ago with the governor, who agreed to plant undercover California Highway Patrol officers and other law enforcement officers at the show this weekend to arrest anybody illegally selling guns.

"I want to send a big message," Newsom said. "We're going to be out in force."

E-mail Heather Knight at hknight@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/10/BA8LRG1U3.DTL

This article appeared on page B - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

aklon
08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Newsom said he met three weeks ago with the governor, who agreed to plant undercover California Highway Patrol officers and other law enforcement officers at the show this weekend to arrest anybody illegally selling guns.

What we need to do is make sure *we* flood the area with our people, all bearing video camersas. If we can tape just one of Gavvie and Kammie's "undercover" officers trying to arrange an illegal sale and we can get him arrested by the ATF (since the cop is out of his jurisdiction engaging in a Federal crime). If we can then get the idiot prosecuted, this will have quite an effect on the SF libbies and show that the gun show myth is just that - a myth.

dfletcher
08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
More like "I want to send a big message," Newsom said. "We're going to be out in farce."

fairfaxjim
08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Um, let's make that MARK Leno.

I liked Jay better, after all it is a G*****N joke! BTW, what the hell are all of the SFPD officers doing hanging around the Cow Palace gun shows, uniformed, w/PD cars and all since it is in DC, not SF? As for that, why don't they bust some of those "illegal parking lot gun sales" while they are goofing off down there??
The really, really sad part of all this is that there are a WHOLE BUNCH of mental midgets who EAT THIS BALONEY UP! Hell, the sound clip of the day from last nights SF Police Commission meeting in the Bayview was some lady saying how the "violence problem was the SFPD, cause no one there new what it was like to be brutalized, but she did, and the problem was the POLICE DEPT!" Yesterday's Ron Dellums railing on the press and blaming their negativity for the violence and Oakland's inability to deal with it.

CavTrooper
08-10-2007, 1:57 PM
In case anyone feels like "protesting" the protesters, thse guys have some great signs they offer for nyone to use for free.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/gsierra76/pw_sign_47.gif

dfletcher
08-10-2007, 2:08 PM
I liked Jay better, after all it is a G*****N joke! BTW, what the hell are all of the SFPD officers doing hanging around the Cow Palace gun shows, uniformed, w/PD cars and all since it is in DC, not SF? As for that, why don't they bust some of those "illegal parking lot gun sales" while they are goofing off down there??

What they're doing is eating up overtime at taxpayer expense. What they're doing is being used to make a political point. What they're not doing is patrolling the streets of San Francisco going after criminals.

Considering SF's involvement in the Parker decision, I think the powers that be want to turn SF into DC circa 2006.

CaptainSpaulding
08-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I had planned on spending Saturday doing laundry, housework, working on the motorcycle and such but now I'll go to the show and do my part to piss of the liberal wienies who might be out to protest our 2nd. Amendment liberties. I'll first visit the N.R.A. booth, extend my membership an extra year, and peruse the show. Hopefully, more of us CalGunners will attend and show support. I could use some beef jerky and plinkin' ammo.

p.s. Any of you's who plan to attend should wear pro-gun, politically incorrect hats and/or shirts. I, for one, will. Ha Ha.

jeffspeakers
08-11-2007, 7:07 AM
Let the state of California go down under liberal attack and protect the rest of the country at the Nevada, Oregon borders. Any of these protesters should have all rights of protection removed. They can use flowers and condoms to protect themselves.

FreedomIsNotFree
08-11-2007, 1:46 PM
The claims made by the fools of SF beg a question to be asked....

If you know there are illegal gun exchanges/sales taking place in the parking lot.....WHY HAVEN'T YOU ARRESTED A SINGLE PERSON....EVER?

The lack of logic in anything they, the SF fools, say makes my head hurt.

M. Sage
08-11-2007, 4:23 PM
Yeah, they were out there in force alright. Err... wait a minute... actually they weren't. All I saw were people who were apparently pro-gun buying gun-related stuff and some jerky. No protesters, no appearances by Gavin, Kamela or Iggy (there was one guy who looked kinda like him from a distance, but it wasn't him.)

Out in force... riiiiiight.

albacore
08-11-2007, 4:45 PM
I just got back after spending about 5 hours there. What a complete waste of time. I guess I kept hoping that I'd see something to make it worth all the money I spent to get there. $5 for bridge, $8 to park, $10 to get in. Everything was overpriced to the point of being insane. Beef jerky, jewelry, rocks, fake arrowheads, toy airsoft gun crap, tools, garbage. I did manage to get 80rds of British .303 for a pretty good price. That about makes up half the cost just to get in the show. There was no "out in force" unless they were all undercover. The same cops there that are at every show. The officer who sits by the entry way sure seemed irritated by the comments on the show. In any case, I think I'm done with the Cow Palace show. Even the Paso Robles show was better.

mecam
08-11-2007, 4:46 PM
Just got back a couple of hours ago. There were lots people but no signs of protestors. As usuall MiWall was center for attraction. I told myself I wasn't gonna spend more than $100 so I only brought that much cash and what did I do? I CC'd addiotional $300.:90:

I signed up with the NRA for $25 with free hat and admission to the show. Bought LOTS of powders, 1k of .40S&Ws and 60 rounds of Winchester slugs from MiWall, AR15 toy for my 2yr old boy (wife wasn't thrilled about that), beef jerkey, targets, cleaner, more beef jerkey and best of all, I dressed up my Stag model 1 with an alluminum handguard, tactical grip, & tactical sling. Good thing I couldn't find an Eotech optic or I would've been totally broke. Prices were about the same you can get online. No big deals except for the NRA membership.

Here she is, almost complete to my satisfaction.

http://www.10374.com/temp/ar/stag1.jpg

MedSpec65
08-11-2007, 5:11 PM
More like "I want to send a big message," Newsom said. "We're going to be out in farce."Newsom's RUCKUS pals from the Berkeley anarchist cliques will be "Out in Farce" to discredit any Pro2A groups planning to counter-demonstrate. They'll join your group displaying Confederate and Nazi flags, BDU's, combat boots, shaved heads and verbal and physical threats of violence. They usually manage to provoke SOMEBODY into getting the media attention they need to succeed in their mission. If you feel the need to demonstrate for our 2A rights, I salute you, but please just disperse when these jackals infiltrate your group. Don't confront them. They have been trained by master Bolsheviks and have years of experience as agent provacateurs. Confront them and you will lose the battle.

Solidmch
08-11-2007, 5:48 PM
I heard Gavin was going to the Cow Palace, but there were too many Bars from his house to the Gun Show. By the third bar he was calling his AA sponsor :cheers2:

dfletcher
08-11-2007, 5:59 PM
Yeah, they were out there in force alright. Err... wait a minute... actually they weren't. All I saw were people who were apparently pro-gun buying gun-related stuff and some jerky. No protesters, no appearances by Gavin, Kamela or Iggy (there was one guy who looked kinda like him from a distance, but it wasn't him.)

Evidently all that weed & Cisco on a Friday night tends to lessen one's motivation for constructive engagement on a Saturday morning. And I'm guessing Kamela's not exactly photo op ready without a few hours of bondo & paint prep.

jwj
08-11-2007, 6:56 PM
Just came back from the Cow Palace, and found the event rather disappointing. It gets worse every time I go there---not yet quite as bad as the show down here in San Jose, but also not that much better. Beef Jerky, pop corn, books and literature for paranoid white males, BB guns, knives/lasers/LED flashlights, all kinds of other garbage appealing to males who haven't yet put adolescent psychology to rest, a Ron Paul propaganda booth run by some weird folks (he really needs to be a little more selective about the people representing him), more or less real WW2 paraphernalia, more knives, Japanese swords, fake Japanese swords, a booth run by a club of experts helping you to tell the difference---but hardly any guns. WTF??

It's a pity. Not so long ago it used to be a pretty interesting event, but nowadays it has really gone down the drain. Even the weirdos seem to stay away these days. The funniest people this time were some hoodlums and the guy who looks like Josef Mengele, including a filthy lab coat (he is actually selling some of the paranoia literature and Army manuals).

Oh well. At least I got another set of ear plugs made by the Steven Tyler lady. Great stuff.

-- j

PS: Ah, and no "demonstrators" or massive LEO presence on the car park either---and what would they have to be worried about anyway? Illicit trade of beef jerky, unlawful FTF transfer of "Cookies-The Girls Scout Manual" on the parking lot?

dfletcher
08-11-2007, 7:05 PM
Just came back from the Cow Palace, and found the event rather disappointing. It gets worse every time I go there---not yet quite as bad as the show down here in San Jose, but also not that much better. Beef Jerky, pop corn, books and literature for paranoid white males, BB guns, knives/lasers/LED flashlights, all kinds of other garbage appealing to males who haven't yet put adolescent psychology to rest, a Ron Paul propaganda booth run by some weird folks (he really needs to be a little more selective about the people representing him), more or less real WW2 paraphernalia, more knives, Japanese swords, fake Japanese swords, a booth run by a club of experts helping you to tell the difference---but hardly any guns. WTF??

It's a pity. Not so long ago it used to be a pretty interesting event, but nowadays it has really gone down the drain. Even the weirdos seem to stay away these days. The funniest people this time were some hoodlums and the guy who looks like Josef Mengele, including a filthy lab coat (he is actually selling some of the paranoia literature and Army manuals).

Oh well. At least I got another set of ear plugs made by the Steven Tyler lady. Great stuff.

-- j

PS: Ah, and no "demonstrators" or massive LEO presence on the car park either---and what would they have to be worried about anyway? Illicit trade of beef jerky, unlawful FTF transfer of "Cookies-The Girls Scout Manual" on the parking lot?

On the way to the show KSFO 12:00 pm news mentioned the show & said the parking lot was used for illegal "drug & gun sales" - given the average age of the group, I'd suspect Viagra or Mylanta would be the only drugs in use, legal or otherwise.

Perhaps the politicians sensed - like buzzards on a carcass - that the show is wearing thin? I mean, they see it going downhill & use it to make their "we're going to shut you down" stand. They then take credit for something that was going to happen anyway. And the folks putting on the show get to say "the pols put us out of business" instead of facing the reality the value wasn't there.

MedSpec65
08-11-2007, 7:06 PM
Pablo from 2GunPress sold some decent reloads at a good price last year. Was he there today?

McMadCow
08-11-2007, 7:13 PM
Well, I snagged myself the Bulgarian Makarov that I've been eyeing up at Highbridge arms for a while now. $110 off the regular price sealed the deal for me! And yeah, I keep on saying I'm going to stop spending so much money there, but every time I end up going way over budget. Wasn't even planning on a gun purchase today! :)

Oh, and some good news, my friend Rudy bought his first ever gun this fine day! A brand new Beretta 92fs, and he's also eyeing up my black rifle! That's another one in our ranks, boys.

jwj
08-11-2007, 7:31 PM
On the way to the show KSFO 12:00 pm news mentioned the show & said the parking lot was used for illegal "drug & gun sales" - given the average age of the group, I'd suspect Viagra or Mylanta would be the only drugs in use, legal or otherwise.Very true. Not much even in the drug department---otherwise, given the lameness of the event, I might have been in the market for some good pot. Alas, only pop corn and beef jerky; and I don't eat beef jerky.
Perhaps the politicians sensed - like buzzards on a carcass - that the show is wearing thin? I mean, they see it going downhill & use it to make their "we're going to shut you down" stand. They then take credit for something that was going to happen anyway. And the folks putting on the show get to say "the pols put us out of business" instead of facing the reality the value wasn't there.So everybody is happy, except those of us who'd actually be interested in a decent gun show. Sigh.

-- j

M. Sage
08-11-2007, 7:52 PM
Pablo from 2GunPress sold some decent reloads at a good price last year. Was he there today?

Yeah, he was. The other Calgunner I was there with scored a couple boxes of 9mm from that booth.

One positive thing: there was someone ogling a couple of FALs at a table, I introduced him to the gripless concept with the MMG that was present.

jdberger
08-11-2007, 8:35 PM
Newsom's RUCKUS pals from the Berkeley anarchist cliques will be "Out in Farce" to discredit any Pro2A groups planning to counter-demonstrate. They'll join your group displaying Confederate and Nazi flags, BDU's, combat boots, shaved heads and verbal and physical threats of violence. They usually manage to provoke SOMEBODY into getting the media attention they need to succeed in their mission. If you feel the need to demonstrate for our 2A rights, I salute you, but please just disperse when these jackals infiltrate your group. Don't confront them. They have been trained by master Bolsheviks and have years of experience as agent provacateurs. Confront them and you will lose the battle.

Dude?!

Where do you get this stuff? :wacko::nuts:

mecam
08-11-2007, 9:05 PM
So everybody is happy, except those of us who'd actually be interested in a decent gun show. Sigh.
-- j

I don't think it was a gun show, it was a "gun accessories show". There were hardly any guns there...

oneone
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't think it was a gun show, it was a "gun accessories show". There were hardly any guns there...

So it is not worth going? I plan to go tomorrow.

ghettoshecky
08-11-2007, 11:38 PM

For the first time I saw Iggy and I thought I would start a funny conversation with him about the whole off list lower craze and pretend to be just plain clueless just to see him waist his breath. At the time he was talking to a DCPD guy, so I thought I would come back later, but when I came back he was gone :( But no mistaking it, it was him with that little badge on his waist.

M. Sage
08-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Nuts. What time did you see him? I left just around noon. I might have seen him walking in as I was going out, but I didn't think he was that tall.

ghettoshecky
08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
On the way to the show KSFO 12:00 pm news mentioned the show & said the parking lot was used for illegal "drug & gun sales" - given the average age of the group, I'd suspect Viagra or Mylanta would be the only drugs in use, legal or otherwise.

Perhaps the politicians sensed - like buzzards on a carcass - that the show is wearing thin? I mean, they see it going downhill & use it to make their "we're going to shut you down" stand. They then take credit for something that was going to happen anyway. And the folks putting on the show get to say "the pols put us out of business" instead of facing the reality the value wasn't there.

gawd why doesn't Crossroads just sue for slander, "drug & gun sales". Make it public that that was just plain BS

ghettoshecky
08-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Nuts. What time did you see him? I left just around noon. I might have seen him walking in as I was going out, but I didn't think he was that tall.

Hmm I came around noon, I'm surprised you didn't see him. I think then maybe it was one, but he was standing at the door the whole time that he was there.

jwj
08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
So it is not worth going? I plan to go tomorrow.Depends on what you are looking for. The pop corn isn't bad, the ear plug lady is great, and I hear the beef jerky is quite alright, too.

-- j

albacore
08-11-2007, 11:54 PM
The beef jerky was actually pretty good.

jdberger
08-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Hmm I came around noon, I'm surprised you didn't see him. I think then maybe it was one, but he was standing at the door the whole time that he was there.

I didn't see him. DRAT!! If I'd known that he'd be there I'd have worn the Iggy/Tool shirt...

MedSpec65
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Dude?!

Where do you get this stuff? :wacko::nuts:Try organizing a Pro2A public demonstration in the Bay Area and you'll see where I get this stuff.

Experimentalist
08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I've been to quite a few gun shows over the years, in a number of different locales. The quality of the experience depends on what you're looking for.

If you want racks upon racks of brand new guns, the Cow Palace show probably isn't for you - although there certainly is no shortage of new firearms on display. Likewise, you're not going to find the real exotic items (e.g. suppressors and full auto firearms) at Cow Palace, because hey, this is California.

There are many other elements that make gun shows enjoyable for me.

Firstly, it is an opportunity to interact with other folks in the shooting sports and learn about what's new. I learned about the whole OLL phenomenon, and about CalGuns, from the SF gun show. I picked up my first two OLLs at the Sacramento gun show. For those valuable experiences alone I have gotten my moneys worth.

Secondly, there are a fair number of second hand and military surplus firearms for sale. If you're interested in learning about gunsmithing or want to acquire a new project, these are good opportunites.

Third, the popcorn, jerkey, and chocolate covered peanuts (my fave) are nice munchies to have when perusing the show.
You got a problem with chocolate covered peanuts? :50: (joke)

I'm not sure what other folks are expecting to find at the gun shows. They're just venues for people to explore and pursue the shooting sports. If the Cow Palace goes away, perhaps we can start our own informal shows, in the same vein as informal car shows. Just have a time and place (e.g. a gun range) where people can show up and show off what they have. I've been to a few of these types of car shows (e.g. the parking lot of In and Out), and it can be fun to see what other people have done, talk to them about how they did it, the pluses and minuses, and just generally immerse yourself in the car culture. It's pretty easy to organize this type of thing on the internet.

This is what gunshows should be all about.

jeffspeakers
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Saturday August 11, 2007
No protesters present at the gun show or in the imediate nieborhood.

Tyler
08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
None today while I was there from 9am to 10:30am. Channel 5 was there though.

albacore
08-12-2007, 2:49 PM
Secondly, there are a fair number of second hand and military surplus firearms for sale. If you're interested in learning about gunsmithing or want to acquire a new project, these are good opportunites.

A fair number of milsurps priced at 3X their value! A $300 Polish M-44, Ukraine refurb, nothing-special '43 Izhevesk 91/30s for $200, $450 for Yugo 59/66, $400 for an SVT-40 bayonet, $300 for a sanded bubba job T-38 training rifle. I'd be suprised if some of the guys there sold any rifles the whole time. Maybe they were able to find 1 or 2 poor suckers with more money then sense.

carsonwales
08-12-2007, 4:32 PM
A fair number of milsurps priced at 3X their value! A $300 Polish M-44, Ukraine refurb, nothing-special '43 Izhevesk 91/30s for $200, $450 for Yugo 59/66, $400 for an SVT-40 bayonet, $300 for a sanded bubba job T-38 training rifle. I'd be suprised if some of the guys there sold any rifles the whole time. Maybe they were able to find 1 or 2 poor suckers with more money then sense.

I met CRTGuns and traded him an A2 upper with bolt and carrier for a Magpul PRS...

My SPR is now complete and I am as happy as hell. Shot it at Richmond today with the new stock. Magpul PRS is sweet piece of gear. Also shot two other OLL's as well.

CRT got a perfectly good basically unused upper for a 175 buck stock. The upper had been kicking around from the mid 90's and came off of one of my 3 registered AW's...

Win win....

CRT is a real nice guy and I assume the fellow with him was his brother. He was the only guy there who had decent AR uppers and genuine stuff. He showed me a killer Elcan 1-4x scope that rocked. When I buy one I am going to send my business CRT's way.

I saw lots of Chinese knock off optics...pure crap. I kept an eagle eye out for the LaRue knock off mounts from Chicom land but didn't see any. If I did I was going to alert the LEO that counterfeit crap was being sold.

Anyone got a link to CRT's LDF? I want to contribute.

CW

Experimentalist
08-12-2007, 6:35 PM
A fair number of milsurps priced at 3X their value! ... Maybe they were able to find 1 or 2 poor suckers with more money then sense.

Most people have enough sense to realize these are *asking* prices.

You're supposed to bargain with the seller.

aklon
08-12-2007, 7:52 PM
None today while I was there from 9am to 10:30am. Channel 5 was there though.

Yeah, and they initially set up not more than 20 paces away from our recruiting booth. While they were talking to one guy, the camera man tried to change angles so his shot would include our NRA banner, but I got in his way and left him in no doubt that he was NOT going to include our banner in his interview nor was he going to train his camera our way. He said he just wanted to take a "walking back to his car shot" of the guy and I told him it was a big parking lot and he could go do it somewhere else, but not here.

Then the cameraman decided to take shots of the orange banners by the ticket booth advising that all laws were observed, etc. The "reporter" sidled up to me asked how I was doing and started talking about knives. (Huh?) He got no response, zero, and soon he and his cameraman left, only to set up right by the gate.

Of course, they got their shot of the guy with the gun T-shirt and camouflage bandana. Some people will never learn.

halifax
08-12-2007, 8:09 PM
Of course, they got their shot of the guy with the gun T-shirt and camouflage bandana. Some people will never learn.

Gee, the reason I enjoy the company of my gun-shooting friends is because of their lack of Political Correctness. :)

M. Sage
08-12-2007, 9:17 PM
Most people have enough sense to realize these are *asking* prices.

You're supposed to bargain with the seller.

I can't deal with someone who is going to slap a $300 price tag on a rifle that should sell for $100...

Boomer1961
08-12-2007, 9:23 PM
Just got back a couple of hours ago. There were lots people but no signs of protestors. As usuall MiWall was center for attraction. I told myself I wasn't gonna spend more than $100 so I only brought that much cash and what did I do? I CC'd addiotional $300.:90:

I signed up with the NRA for $25 with free hat and admission to the show. Bought LOTS of powders, 1k of .40S&Ws and 60 rounds of Winchester slugs from MiWall, AR15 toy for my 2yr old boy (wife wasn't thrilled about that), beef jerkey, targets, cleaner, more beef jerkey and best of all, I dressed up my Stag model 1 with an alluminum handguard, tactical grip, & tactical sling. Good thing I couldn't find an Eotech optic or I would've been totally broke. Prices were about the same you can get online. No big deals except for the NRA membership.

Here she is, almost complete to my satisfaction.

http://www.10374.com/temp/ar/stag1.jpg

SILLY MAN....:D

......and you are counting on the anti-gun LE being able to read english to keep from being awakened in the middle of the night by that IGGY fella?

Did you not read that big post where LE used the MySpace Pics as PC for arresting that firearm enthusiast. I think the plan now is to drain him of all his money and have him expelled from school then lock him up till he squeels and says "you were right, I am a gun criminal, thank you for saving me from this most unholy of hobbies".

I really do think we need to hire a lawyer to write up a good legally recognized disclaimer to paste onto pictures posted here, unfortunately I also think to be successful the picture will have nothing but writing, very small writing, be 5 pages long, and you won't be able to see the actual firearm.

TAKE CARE EVERYONE!

Tyler
08-12-2007, 9:50 PM
I saw the CBS 5 news thing on the gun show today. It actually looked like it was siding with us. All the interviews from gun owners were awesome, intelligent and logical. The end had some dumb*** on the street questioning the amount of ammo people were buying but that was it. All the anti gun people had no reasoning ability what so ever. I wanted to slap that last guy they interviewed.

MedSpec65
08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I saw the CBS 5 news thing on the gun show today. It actually looked like it was siding with us. All the interviews from gun owners were awesome, intelligent and logical. The end had some dumb*** on the street questioning the amount of ammo people were buying but that was it. All the anti gun people had no reasoning ability what so ever. I wanted to slap that last guy they interviewed.Good observation. It coincides with an article in this month's National Review entitled "NRA Nation - The Second Amendment People are Winning". Guns, legal or not, are not an issue that really motivate the "progressives" to support one candidate or another. They won't bother to research the subject because they made their minds up about guns a long time ago. They just hate 'em. Now gun owners across this country are a different story. Many will NEVER vote for any politician who supports gun control. Their ranks are growing. Just keep voting your heart. The rest of the country is moving in your direction.

oaklander
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I think KPIX got a shot of my PT Cruiser (it was in the background when they were interviewing someone). I haven't seen the finished segment yet (no TV) - but I'm hoping they'll post it on their website.

Sam got to meet a lot of new NRA recruits. And amazingly, I made it through the whole show without buying anything (not having any money helped quite a bit). Almost put a Chinese (Norinco, I think) AK "POSP" scope on my credit card, but the seller wanted 2x the going price - so no deal.

Almost bought some ammo - but with tax, it would have been the same price as buying it online and paying for shipping.

But I'm not complaining - it was nice to see so many gun owners in one place - and there were some neat things for sale, and some stuff was at good prices (gun cleaning supplies, for example).

And a *lot* of people joined the NRA today!

:D

EDIT - P.S. - that National Review article is online here:
http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=MzMzYmQzNzFhYmE5YzgxMWY4ZGIzZGEyNjllYmI5MGY=&b=322824

ghettoshecky
08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
was there another show in San Jose going on at the same time as this one? I was driving to Eastridge Mall and thought I saw some sign saying "Gun Show Today". Anyone go if it was real?

M. Sage
08-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Almost put a Chinese (Norinco, I think) AK "POSP" scope on my credit card, but the seller wanted 2x the going price - so no deal.

What, a $200 POSP, and a knock-off at that!? Ouch. I think I'd be willing to pay $50 for a ChiCom POSP....

oaklander
08-12-2007, 11:19 PM
What, a $200 POSP, and a knock-off at that!? Ouch. I think I'd be willing to pay $50 for a ChiCom POSP....

Yes - I talked the guy *down* to 200 - LOL - glad I didn't take it!!!

M. Sage
08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes - I talked the guy *down* to 200 - LOL - glad I didn't take it!!!

:eek: Wow. Some of those guys, man...

carsonwales
08-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Am I the only one who noticed there was tons of Chicom knockoff rip off optics at this show....

Friggin Chicoms are really pissing me off....

The only thing that pisses me off more are the scum bags who bring that crap to a show like this and sell it...

Those guys are FUBAR...the same guys we would carve up for jerky in a SHTF sitrep....Scum

CW

aklon
08-13-2007, 8:40 AM
Gee, the reason I enjoy the company of my gun-shooting friends is because of their lack of Political Correctness. :)

Nice try, but the object is to prevent the media from getting the images they massage to make us look bad. It's all perception with these people, and if they can create the perception that all of us are nothing more than a bunch of camouflaged red neck yahoos, they love it.

Try something new, friend: try being "politically astute."

ghettoshecky
08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Am I the only one who noticed there was tons of Chicom knockoff rip off optics at this show....

The only thing that pisses me off more are the scum bags who bring that crap to a show like this and sell it...

Those guys are FUBAR...the same guys we would carve up for jerky in a SHTF sitrep....Scum

CW

Yeah I wasn't too happy with that either. A random guy was going to buy that airsoft stuff and he got into a conversation with me where I dissuaded him to buy it. I kinda felt bad cuz the dealer was right there and he put up a protest saying "do you want to spend $300 more on the something that does the same thing:rolleyes:", but hey I didn't start anything guy started asking me.

chiefcrash
08-13-2007, 1:06 PM
i wonder what would happen if you could organize a "dress code" for a particular gun show like this one and manage to get the media to show up...

Imagine, if you will, 3000 happy gun show patrons all in fine business suits...

i wonder how the media would show us as rednecks for that one...

aklon
08-13-2007, 1:30 PM
i wonder what would happen if you could organize a "dress code" for a particular gun show like this one and manage to get the media to show up...

They'd never ever put it on the air.

EKIM
08-13-2007, 4:13 PM

CW

I agree... last time I'm ever going there. Every question I asked about having something was answered by, nope. :(

fairfaxjim
08-13-2007, 4:16 PM

Let's see, if you made the dress code Black suits, with Bow ties, and the particular gun show was held in Oakland, you could probably get certain politicians to endorse it. At least that seems to be how a particular group over there does it.

mecam
08-13-2007, 4:16 PM
How is the Vallejo show vs this one? Any better?

M. Sage
08-13-2007, 6:37 PM

I think it'd be hard to do anyway, since it seemed to be MAYBE 50% white in there, possibly less. Asians were a huge segment.

I just watched some of the news footage, and they didn't show any crowd shots...

Boomer1961
09-08-2007, 6:09 PM
Let's see......now...

This is the same man that.....

Takes political donations from not one but now a second convicted felon with connections to the Chinese Government with wads of donation money....

.....ignores all state and federal laws, and personally makes an executive law saying gay marriages will be honored/performed in San Francisco, .....never mind the additional legal burden upon the city for this personal agenda to court the vote of the gay community as after all getting elected at any costs justifies all the costs incurred to the taxpayers, ......and of course the huge and enormous additional burden to the taxpayers and private enterprise for the spousal benefits for retirement/health/etc with no input from private enterprise and no source of revenue for this huge obligation (oh, he will just say raise taxes that he himself hires a lawyer and accountant so he can get out of doing so).....

Was married to a beautiful and successful women that would state in public her willingness to sexually satisfy his every need but found his needs were to pollinate as many young women as possible.

Was caught in a restaurant pouring a glass of wine to one of his sexual conquests who at 18 years of age (barely) and young enough to be considered to young to be his daughter friend.....and of course being deliberate with that alcohol as it is a social lubricant that can increase his chances of getting into that very young ladies panties....

...and who hired his best friend and best friends wife so that wife would be more available to him, especially at/during work where they were being paid by the taxpayers to have illicit sex while at work and being paid to work.....

....who blamed alcohol for all his problems and promptly checked himself into a drug/alcohol program that apparently did an outpatient program for those to busy for a real program by offering weekend classes, and after four of these one hour weekend classes declared himself cured....

And you have to wonder, like Clinton, how folks who have an anti 2nd amendment agenda, and has a large female political base, can support any man that treats women and families like crap, just because they see an opportunity to support some one pushing an anti 2nd amendment agenda. I guess they feel it justified to sleep with the devil if it means they can force other folks to think like them. Still supporting men that ***** all over women really makes me wonder what is wrong with these women.....

....in the old days, the folks now considered as redneck, would have settled this with a shotgun when their 18 year old daughter was caught with such an old man, and only one life would have been ruined instead of dozens.

Anyways looks like another gun show is kaput!:(

PressCheck
09-09-2007, 2:17 PM
I thought the Cow Palace was in Brisbane!?

ldivinag
09-09-2007, 2:27 PM
officially, daly city...

but who's counting... ;)