PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a Firearm with a Felon in the car

lilro
12-13-2012, 4:14 PM
What are the legalities regarding this? I'm going on a trip soon and a prohibited person is going as well. If I keep my firearm locked up and don't allow access to the key, is there any legal problems?

stix213
12-13-2012, 4:53 PM
If I remember other threads on the topic, you're technically doing it right, but are not immune from drama in a stop.

dieselpower
12-13-2012, 6:00 PM
family or friend.. registered HG or rifle... rifle or fixed magazine EBR...AW?

first post pretty much nailed it. If stopped, expect drama. do NOT try that "avoid the question" BS if asked, "are there any weapons in the car?"

Just answer yes.

hermosabeach
12-13-2012, 6:05 PM
Is the excon on parole? If yes, have them speak to their PO

Nodaedul
12-13-2012, 6:25 PM
It's probably more the felons problem than it is yours. Decide to not know they are a felon.

lilro
12-13-2012, 6:34 PM
family or friend.. registered HG or rifle... rifle or fixed magazine EBR...AW?

first post pretty much nailed it. If stopped, expect drama. do NOT try that "avoid the question" BS if asked, "are there any weapons in the car?"

Just answer yes.

Family. Registered handgun. Not on parole. His car. Splitting the driving.

If he's driving, and they ask him about weapons, should I say anything? Do they have a right to search the car because of his past if he's not on probation/parole? If he says no because I don't tell him I have it, and they find it, will he get arrested?

Munk
12-13-2012, 7:58 PM
Family. Registered handgun. Not on parole. His car. Splitting the driving.

If he's driving, and they ask him about weapons, should I say anything? Do they have a right to search the car because of his past if he's not on probation/parole? If he says no because I don't tell him I have it, and they find it, will he get arrested?

There is no real problem-free route with this one. You may be better off shipping the gun to yourself and dodging the issue entirely.