PDA

View Full Version : 9/19/2013 CGF Files New Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit to Stop DOJ's DROS Delay Policy

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Pinoy11B
03-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Odd that it was DOJ who told you it was released, my FFL is the one who notified me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I was surprised too that I got called instead of SHOP. Maybe the letter of explanation I wrote when I sent my court documents.

In the letter of explanation,I also stated that I am currently ACTIVE duty in the military and been serving since 1994 and hold Security Clearance. And I provided a copy of my military ID, CA ID, etc to support my letter to have them picture my character after my one and only arrest in the past and also I let them know that my arrest in the past was regretful and I have been a Law Abiding US citizen since that Arrest I had 20+ years ago.

Then, I received a call and Lady said, Mr. ??????? We received your court documents you had sent and delay has been lifted and Noted in the system and contact your FFL and give them couple of hours before contacting to give time to hit the system.

I also asked, would I be delayed again in the future for another purchase? DOJ said, no, it should not give you any problem since it is noted in the system when you do another DROS. Then, I Thank the Lady.

Then I called FFL 3 hours later.

GuardianSix
03-29-2013, 2:48 PM
I'm out of state CA resident stationed in VA and have bought numerous weapons to include a rifle last December. I went in to buy a pistol this Wed and the background check was delayed and the next day denied. I called the VA State Police and they said there was a discrepancy with the background check and that they've been having a lot of issues with CA recently. Can anyone spin me up on what is going on? Did CA recently change something? Thanks for any answers you can provide.

JM33
03-30-2013, 9:22 AM
No recent changes other then the policy change that occurred last year sometime. Apparently the DOJ decided to make it much more difficult by requiring dispositions for arrests that are not prohibiting offenses. So now any arrest needs a disposition; conviction or no conviction. For example, I called the court where my dismissed charges were from and asked if they have updated my records with the DOJ. The clerk told me that she does not understand why I would need a disposition because abstracts from all cases are sent to the DOJ periodically. This means that the DOJ would know whether or not you can possess a firearm. I don't understand the hold up. It makes no sense.

mrrabbit
03-30-2013, 10:22 AM
BINGO!

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/03/obama-signs-executive-order-to-bolster.html

=8-)

JDay
03-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm out of state CA resident stationed in VA and have bought numerous weapons to include a rifle last December. I went in to buy a pistol this Wed and the background check was delayed and the next day denied. I called the VA State Police and they said there was a discrepancy with the background check and that they've been having a lot of issues with CA recently. Can anyone spin me up on what is going on? Did CA recently change something? Thanks for any answers you can provide.

You should have become a resident of Virginia.

Pinoy11B
03-30-2013, 4:25 PM
I DROS another one today. Will see what happens of what I was told from couple of days ago that I should not have any problem of being delayed again.

GuardianSix
03-30-2013, 4:36 PM
No recent changes other then the policy change that occurred last year sometime. Apparently the DOJ decided to make it much more difficult by requiring dispositions for arrests that are not prohibiting offenses. So now any arrest needs a disposition; conviction or no conviction. For example, I called the court where my dismissed charges were from and asked if they have updated my records with the DOJ. The clerk told me that she does not understand why I would need a disposition because abstracts from all cases are sent to the DOJ periodically. This means that the DOJ would know whether or not you can possess a firearm. I don't understand the hold up. It makes no sense.

Still doesn't make any sense since I have a letter stating the disposition of the case.:confused:

GuardianSix
03-30-2013, 4:37 PM
You should have become a resident of Virginia.

I plan on changing my residency here in the next couple of weeks, but how does that help me with background checks? No matter what the CA background stuff will pop up since it's a federal check or am I mistaken?

JDay
03-30-2013, 4:54 PM
I plan on changing my residency here in the next couple of weeks, but how does that help me with background checks? No matter what the CA background stuff will pop up since it's a federal check or am I mistaken?

CA doesn't use the federal NICS system for BG checks. DROS is a different beast. I'm sure you have no NICS issues.

stonefly-2
03-30-2013, 5:25 PM

none of us here has any reason to think california has any valid background reason to suspend your civil rights anyway.

One78Shovel
03-30-2013, 6:22 PM
I DROS'd up a long gun a week ago tomorrow. Will post if delayed

-178S

Picked it up today. No delay

-178S

RED (Y)
03-30-2013, 8:04 PM
I wish to know what is wrong with DOJ

wildhawker
03-30-2013, 8:33 PM
DOJ is DOJ.

RED (Y)
03-31-2013, 9:00 AM
But look like this delay is totally random.Some people are first time buyers,some already got guns,different ages,different locations and fully random decisions. Feels like bunch of guys flipping a coin everyday on your DROS.WTF?

stonefly-2
03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=Pinoy11B;10949067]I was surprised too that I got called instead of SHOP. Maybe the letter of explanation I wrote when I sent my court documents.

In the letter of explanation,I also stated that I am currently ACTIVE duty in the military and been serving since 1994 and hold Security Clearance. And I provided a copy of my military ID, CA ID, etc to support my letter to have them picture my character

maybe she contacted you out of just pure shame for suspending the civil rights of a service man WHILE he is defending our country. (probably not allowed to apologize) my guess is they refused answering the phones after a grievance was filed with their shop steward. they are one would think educated state employees with some tenure. they may feel put off having to regurgitate that variety of conflicting lame excuses knowing what they are doing is an illegal , political stunt. not something one signs on for when considering a career in state government. i give them the benefit of the doubt that they have sworn no oath to protect the constitution. my retriever (rio) is 14 months old, just a puppy really and the little boys on my block love him alot. just saying

JM33
03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
If you pretty much have any arrests you will be placed on delay. Apparently the DOJ is taking this opportunity to update their records at our expense. This is often times redundant because they know whether or not we can legally possess a firearm. This is why we are placed on delay versus denied. Don't get me wrong some people do go on a denial after a delay but not often from what I have read.

JDay
03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
they may feel put off having to regurgitate that variety of conflicting lame excuses knowing what they are doing is an illegal , political stunt. not something one signs on for when considering a career in state government.

Since when has "just following orders" been an acceptable excuse?

JDay
03-31-2013, 11:04 AM
If you pretty much have any arrests you will be placed on delay. Apparently the DOJ is taking this opportunity to update their records at our expense. This is often times redundant because they know whether or not we can legally possess a firearm. This is why we are placed on delay versus denied. Don't get me wrong some people do go on a denial after a delay but not often from what I have read.

One of my friends has a DUI and hasn't had any delays. I got delayed and only have a failure to appear and a juvenile computer hacking arrest (was never charged, over 15 years old) on my record. The US Navy never had a problem with my background, in fact I still had an inactive TS clearance up until about 6 months ago and have had several in depth background checks run by the FBI/DHS without issue. So I doubt my DOJ file needed any updating since they've had several requests for it and I haven't been in any trouble since my failure to appear back in 2001. Hopefully I don't get delayed again when I purchase another firearm, waiting nearly 2 months sucked.

RED (Y)
03-31-2013, 11:21 AM
My background is crystal clear-no arrests,no DUI,nothing.Ever.I'm almost 90 days delayed.

JM33
03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
One of my friends has a DUI and hasn't had any delays. I got delayed and only have a failure to appear and a juvenile computer hacking arrest (was never charged, over 15 years old) on my record. The US Navy never had a problem with my background, in fact I still had an inactive TS clearance up until about 6 months ago and have had several in depth background checks run by the FBI/DHS without issue. So I doubt my DOJ file needed any updating since they've had several requests for it and I haven't been in any trouble since my failure to appear back in 2001. Hopefully I don't get delayed again when I purchase another firearm, waiting nearly 2 months sucked.

All that I am saying is that there is a major issue going on with the DOJ. If people who have never been arrested are being restricted to some extent from owning a firearm why wouldn't people who have an arrest on file. The bottom line is this, the DOJ knows if we are restricted from possessing a firearm or not. I have talked to them before they went silent and was told that a disposition was needed. What I don't understand is that a disposition is needed for non prohibiting issues. It is irrelevant to us owning a firearm. There seems to be a hidden agenda related to updating their records.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
All that I am saying is that there is a major issue going on with the DOJ. If people who have never been arrested are being restricted to some extent from owning a firearm why wouldn't people who have an arrest on file. The bottom line is this, the DOJ knows if we are restricted from possessing a firearm or not. I have talked to them before they went silent and was told that a disposition was needed. What I don't understand is that a disposition is needed for non prohibiting issues. It is irrelevant to us owning a firearm. There seems to be a hidden agenda related to updating their records.

That's what I'm saying. There's something going on I was told by a reliable source the doj is trying to hold as many as possible for as long as possible so they can try an ban the weapons we had already paid for before we can get them. And they wont give a reason why everyones is delayed because for most there Is NO reason.

mrrabbit
03-31-2013, 5:19 PM
BINGO!

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/03/obama-signs-executive-order-to-bolster.html

=8-)

Folks...

This new initiative creates a competitive grant program designed to incentivize states, territories and tribes to share information with NICS by closing information gaps that inhibit complete and accurate background checks.

Folks, somehow, some way, the Feds are involved - and CA AG is cooperating...probably in a similar to "Missouri?" Or was that Misissippi?

=8-)

Some Pro-2nd Amendment attorney's and interest groups need to do some serious FOIA stuff and investigative work...

=8-)

JM33
03-31-2013, 5:26 PM
Folks...

=8-)

This seems to be something fairly recent that probably has no bearing on what is currently going on. Some people have been on delay for over 3-4 months. It's hard for me to believe that the DOJ knew of the executive order that long ago. I hope this just doesn't add insult to injury. :facepalm:

mrrabbit
03-31-2013, 6:03 PM
This seems to be something fairly recent that probably has no bearing on what is currently going on. Some people have been on delay for over 3-4 months. It's hard for me to believe that the DOJ knew of the executive order that long ago. I hope this just doesn't add insult to injury. :facepalm:

You are presuming that Eric Holder doesn't slink around working with other states Attorney Generals making little "wink" "wink" deals to share information, tie or link databases, fill in gaps in each others data - including - hamstringing people by requesting info on stuff that normally doesn't figure in.

...and he has been spotted by many watch dog groups nation wide doing exactly that - during the previous term - and certainly continues to do so in the current term. He is particulary aggressive with visiting judges, secretaries of state, and attorney generals whenever something regarding Obama's background gains traction.

=8-)

JM33
03-31-2013, 6:30 PM
It just doesn't make sense to add work to the already burdened CADOJ. It is evident that staffing is an on-going issue due to budget cuts. Our 2A rights are border line being infringed upon. I am not an attorney by any means, but I definitely know that I am a law abiding citizen that has gone through the necessary steps to exercise my rights. I'm going on 60 days, six times over the required amount of time necessary without my already purchased FA.

Theycallmebruce
04-01-2013, 6:38 AM
It looks like im not the only one going through this mine has been delayed since Feb. 06-13 . i purchased it the day i pick up my long gun with no delay from my local outtfitter :confused: just waiting

Mrmannie
04-02-2013, 9:19 AM
I'm at 42 days on a delay or release. I've been contemplating whether or not to do a LIve Scan, but am really skeptical if that will even help.

cpatbay
04-02-2013, 9:20 AM
Just picked my pistol up. 10 days to the minute. No delay.

Tba
04-02-2013, 2:28 PM
104 days... called, emailed... nothing!

kknight12
04-02-2013, 5:52 PM
I was 8 days into my waiting period and received a call from my FFL dealer saying that the DOJ had delayed my dros. I actually found this site when I was researching what the heck I was going to do. No arrests, no warrants, no traffic tickets, nothing. I placed a call to the DOJ and left a message, since no one ever answers. To my surprise they returned my call today and told me that they need to investigate and to "please be patient". I asked how long does this process take and she told me that it is currently between 30-90 days! That's 30-90 days to "investigate" why I've been delayed, it's not a guarantee that it will be resolved in 30-90 days. She would not tell me why I'm delayed or let me talk to someone who knew. Basically nothing I can do. It's not like I'm buying an Uzi or bazooka, it's a freaking shotgun to duck hunt with my family. So frustrating. I own a few rifles and shotguns already, yet for some reason, now I'm having issues!?! This is not right!

anthonyca
04-02-2013, 7:56 PM
DOJ is DOJ.

And above the law.

JM33
04-02-2013, 9:11 PM
I was 8 days into my waiting period and received a call from my FFL dealer saying that the DOJ had delayed my dros. I actually found this site when I was researching what the heck I was going to do. No arrests, no warrants, no traffic tickets, nothing. I placed a call to the DOJ and left a message, since no one ever answers. To my surprise they returned my call today and told me that they need to investigate and to "please be patient". I asked how long does this process take and she told me that it is currently between 30-90 days! That's 30-90 days to "investigate" why I've been delayed, it's not a guarantee that it will be resolved in 30-90 days. She would not tell me why I'm delayed or let me talk to someone who knew. Basically nothing I can do. It's not like I'm buying an Uzi or bazooka, it's a freaking shotgun to duck hunt with my family. So frustrating. I own a few rifles and shotguns already, yet for some reason, now I'm having issues!?! This is not right!

Welcome to Calguns and it's a shame that it was under these circumstances. This seems to be a common trend with the DOJ lately. Law abiding citizens have been restricted under a "Delay" from legally owning firearms. The problem is not that people are place on delay status, it is simply the over the top amount of time it is taking to clear any issues. A delay in other states mean 72 hours or so. In California it appears to be indefinitely. I am just exaggerating out of frustration but some individuals have been waiting for 100 days plus. I think that is a little on the excessive side. :confused:
Anyhow, enough with for rant of the day. I called my FFL today to see if any updates have been made with my delay and was told what I already knew; No! She also mentioned that she has only seen 2 come back from a delay status in 2 months plus. This doesn't look promising.

wnewton
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
my DROS was denied because of unpaid ticket, failure to appear. oooops.

JDay
04-02-2013, 11:22 PM

I thought they were supposed to give you a chance to fix a DMV reject before denying it.

kknight12
04-03-2013, 7:02 AM
Welcome to Calguns and it's a shame that it was under these circumstances. This seems to be a common trend with the DOJ lately. Law abiding citizens have been restricted under a "Delay" from legally owning firearms. The problem is not that people are place on delay status, it is simply the over the top amount of time it is taking to clear any issues. A delay in other states mean 72 hours or so. In California it appears to be indefinitely. I am just exaggerating out of frustration but some individuals have been waiting for 100 days plus. I think that is a little on the excessive side. :confused:
Anyhow, enough with for rant of the day. I called my FFL today to see if any updates have been made with my delay and was told what I already knew; No! She also mentioned that she has only seen 2 come back from a delay status in 2 months plus. This doesn't look promising.

Well hopefully we will get some good news soon. I'm not counting on it though.

I purchased the gun from a private party in California off of gun broker, so basically I've paid for a gun that I might not get. Do you guys know if I can cancel my dros and just have my wife go in and get it registered in her name? Or if she can fill out the dros while i'm still on "delay" and if hers comes back sooner than mine, just have it registered under her name?

It's pretty ridiculous that I have to find ways around this when I'm a legal, law abiding citizen, with no criminal past whatsoever, and cannot take home my already purchased shotgun. I'm leaving California as soon as I'm able to retire (in about 20 years :facepalm:)

diverwcw
04-03-2013, 7:10 AM
Whenever I have a serious issue requiring phone conversations, I try to make it a practice of documenting all of the info; like time, the persons name, and also the employee ID number (they usually have one). And I take notes...

Perhaps if this is done it may aid in CG's following up these types of situations...

When you start asking this info from anybody on the phone, they sit up and take note. The information you receive from this point on is usually correct.

You know how the saying goes, "Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger." A former boss of mine took the opposite approach, he started shooting the messenger. It got to the point where nobody wanted to bring him bad news so everybody started making the right things happen.

I say make it so miserable on these DOJ employees that they get sick of dealing with the angry public and take the message back to their bosses. Believe me, change will start to happen at that point.

stonefly-2
04-03-2013, 7:10 AM
guess i'll just put this 17 hmr up for sale it would have been the first "new" gun i ever owned. the other guns in my safe would probably rejected it anyway for not being blue steel and walnut.:D iv'e got one in there that was my great grandfathers, a lefever sxs with damascas barrels. i keep it lovingly oiled like the others & once i loaded some shells with pyrodex and took it out on the pheasant preserve i've hunted on for twenty + years now. it was a special feeling to connect with heritage that way. iv'e never even fired a semi auto rifle other than .22's. guns for me with my level of pride and passion (pride as an american and responsible gun owner & passion for hunting with just the right tool for the job) is just too upsetting for me. my anger over this violation would only result in words like "agitated" being typed onto some paperwork that my guess is they would be eager to process. the last gun i dros'd was a smith & wesson 22/32 heavy frame target pistol in the original "beakart" configuration. at 95%+ condition it should have been a safe queen but my plan was to apply a great deal of honest wear as a sidearm deer hunting. that was before i started seeing sign and an actual mountain lion where i hunt. guns for me have always been about getting out to the woods or marsh & away from the day to day. never thought i had a dog in this fight. many restrictions going back to the ceseation of mail order guns seemed to me reasonable compromises. it's clear to fresh eyes that this "delay" situation is an "increment". this and the plethora of other increments are clearly not driven by the public at large being afraid of black rifles or guns in general. we are americans, we have always lived with guns and accepted the cost along with the benefit of freedom. there is no political solution to this despite politics being the tool we are using to cut our own throats. i will take no satisfaction in i "told you so" any more than those of you that have always fought to protect our rights will with me. flame me if you must (and should) and of course now i will donate to those i should always have and vote accordingly. call me selfish, all i wanted was to be able to get out in nature as an outdoorsman when work and home life would allow. i have a one man service business in california (speaks for itself) i love my craft and get probably too much satisfaction from helping people. i don't charge enough to support being able to fight for my supposed rights here. so anyone interested? mod. #817 mossberg, new in 17 hmr with case. it doesn't have the funky flash hider thingy you see in some online pictures.

kemasa
04-03-2013, 8:31 AM
I purchased the gun from a private party in California off of gun broker, so basically I've paid for a gun that I might not get. Do you guys know if I can cancel my dros and just have my wife go in and get it registered in her name? Or if she can fill out the dros while i'm still on "delay" and if hers comes back sooner than mine, just have it registered under her name?

That would be considered a straw purchase and would be a problem. The BATF tends to look to see where the firearm went when the transfer did not go through and when they see that it went to your wife, you could end up in a real mess.

mrdd
04-03-2013, 10:11 AM

I thought they were supposed to give you a chance to fix a DMV reject before denying it.

Failure to appear is not a DMV issue. It is more serious.

kknight12
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
That would be considered a straw purchase and would be a problem. The BATF tends to look to see where the firearm went when the transfer did not go through and when they see that it went to your wife, you could end up in a real mess.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I spoke to the FFL dealer and he said that it is not a good idea and he would want no part of it. Since I am a law abiding citizen I would not try that route. I was basically just looking for a way to get my FA. Guess next time, (even though I have no criminal record, no warrants, no arrests, no unpaid parking tickets), I will do a private background check prior to the dros. But really, I don't think that would help either. A lot of people here are getting delayed for no good reason.

stonefly-2
04-03-2013, 4:07 PM
ok, here's what i'm thinking. i won the bid on this gun for $200 plus $40 or $50 shipping ,tax etc. been so long now i forget. what i will accept for it is the highest bid, check payable to calguns. close at 7 oclock friday 4-5-13.
were you going to make a donation? i'll kick in a new gun to boot. you pay shipping if not in sacramento. same as this one but blue barrel.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/43861

JDay
04-03-2013, 8:12 PM

If he failed to appear to court over a traffic ticket it is.

Zedrek
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I spoke to the FFL dealer and he said that it is not a good idea and he would want no part of it. Since I am a law abiding citizen I would not try that route. I was basically just looking for a way to get my FA. Guess next time, (even though I have no criminal record, no warrants, no arrests, no unpaid parking tickets), I will do a private background check prior to the dros. But really, I don't think that would help either. A lot of people here are getting delayed for no good reason.

Yeah, that would just be a waste of money. Did you email Jason Davis about this? Good luck.

kknight12
04-04-2013, 1:06 PM
Yeah, that would just be a waste of money. Did you email Jason Davis about this? Good luck.

Thanks. I have not emailed Jason yet. Technically, I'm at the 10th day today. So I didn't want to email him and then by some miracle end up getting my gun in the allotted 10 days. I will be emailing him next week if this is not taken care of by the end of the week. But I did get through the DOJ yesterday and spoke to a guy who told me that my delay was from the FBI over an incident that occurred out of state. He could not provide any other information. Since I have not been arrested out of state (or in-state) I figured it was a good sign that the delay would be lifted soon. The guy at the DOJ said that more than likely my name matches someone else who is a criminal. After calling the FBI, the message indicated that the FBI has 72 hours or 3 business days to investigate the situation. After the 72 hours then the FFL would be able to provide me my FA that I have already purchased. Does that sound right? I spoke to my FFL and he stated that he still needed the DOJ to call and release it. Today is the 3rd day and has exceeded the 72 hour window. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again for all the replies, it's nice not just being completely blind going into this situation. Basically I just keep calling these guys until I get through. Completely caught me off guard yesterday when the guy answered at the DOJ.

JM33
04-04-2013, 1:19 PM
To my amazement I got the call that I have been waiting for. My F/A has been released from prison! I appreciate your comments and information. Although it's easier said than done; be patient. It took around 60 days for mine to clear. I have another F/A that I am waiting for, I'm expecting a call from that ffl soon. Hopefully.

Pinoy11B
04-04-2013, 2:10 PM
To my amazement I got the call that I have been waiting for. My F/A has been released from prison! I appreciate your comments and information. Although it's easier said than done; be patient. It took around 60 days for mine to clear. I have another F/A that I am waiting for, I'm expecting a call from that ffl soon. Hopefully.

Congrats. Try to call the FFL instead of them calling you. Maybe it's in the system already for your other FA.

wnewton
04-04-2013, 2:46 PM

DOJ called FFL told him my DROS was denied due to DMV issue and to contact DMV to see what was up, FFL said DOJ would not give any further details.

I believe it is a Failure To Appear on traffic violation, I went to court clerk and scheduled an arraignment for May

Should I wait until court case is closed or should I be good to DROS now.

Thanks.

mrdd
04-04-2013, 3:04 PM
DOJ called FFL told him my DROS was denied due to DMV issue and to contact DMV to see what was up, FFL said DOJ would not give any further details.

I believe it is a Failure To Appear on traffic violation, I went to court clerk and scheduled an arraignment for May

Thanks.

I don't want to quibble over terms, but a DMV issue means they have placed a hold on your vehicle registration and license renewal due to too many unpaid parking tickets. This is a civil matter.

A traffic violation is a criminal matter, and a failure to appear in court can result in a bench warrant being issued. You can be arrested next time you are stopped by the police. To me, that is more serious.

JDay
04-04-2013, 3:07 PM

Thanks.

You might be able to just pay the ticket and fine for failure to appear and not even have to go to court.

JDay
04-04-2013, 3:09 PM
traffic violation is a criminal matter, and a failure to appear in court can result in a bench warrant being issued. You can be arrested next time you are stopped by the police. To me, that is more serious.

Traffic violations are not criminal, thats why it's handled in traffic court. And since he went to court and rescheduled, any warrant there may have been would have been withdrawn, he turned himself in.

GuardianSix
04-04-2013, 3:26 PM
Thanks Jason for the advice! I got denied on the 27th of Mar and called DOJ (no answer), emailed them, and sent them a letter with documents. I also took Jason's advice and submitted a NICS appeal online yesterday and today the VA State Police called the dealer and reversed my denial! Mark a win for gun owners! Hang in there fellas and if you haven't already give Jason a call or email!

JM33
04-04-2013, 5:18 PM
Congrats. Try to call the FFL instead of them calling you. Maybe it's in the system already for your other FA.

I did call and was told it still showed a delay on their end. I got a call close to 3 pm for the original release so I am assuming the DOJ will get to the other tomorrow some time.

lakersandguns
04-04-2013, 6:31 PM
OK guys wife just called me at work and said I receive a letter from DOJ. Im on delay now for a long gun. Im nervouse to see what It says. Any idea what its all about. Wont know until I get home tonight

JDay
04-04-2013, 7:03 PM
Thanks Jason for the advice! I got denied on the 27th of Mar and called DOJ (no answer), emailed them, and sent them a letter with documents. I also took Jason's advice and submitted a NICS appeal online yesterday and today the VA State Police called the dealer and reversed my denial! Mark a win for gun owners! Hang in there fellas and if you haven't already give Jason a call or email!

As far as I know only CA DOJ has that authority.

lakersandguns
04-04-2013, 8:54 PM
Need help!! Got denied. Just open a letter from DOJ and I got denied. As I stated before. I was arrested on new years day and charged with felont assualt. Case was dropped on Jan 7, d.a never press charges. Have 2 misdemeanors and have purchase many guns before. Who can I contact? please help

mrdd
04-05-2013, 3:43 AM
Traffic violations are not criminal, thats why it's handled in traffic court. And since he went to court and rescheduled, any warrant there may have been would have been withdrawn, he turned himself in.

The violation is an infraction, but it is still a criminal matter. Just because it is not handled in a regular criminal court does not make it otherwise. Just try to not sign the ticket next time you are pulled over. That is grounds for arrest.

stonefly-2
04-05-2013, 5:22 AM
ok, here's what i'm thinking. i won the bid on this gun for $200 plus $40 or $50 shipping ,tax etc. been so long now i forget. what i will accept for it is the highest bid, check payable to calguns. close at 7 oclock friday 4-5-13.
were you going to make a donation? i'll kick in a new gun to boot. you pay shipping if not in sacramento. same as this one but blue barrel.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/43861

no one? ok, i'll put it up on wts tonight after work. not much of a gun i agree. it was going to be a project for the slow season, polish the sear, paint it, add a sling, camo paint job and a ginormous scope :D . after putting this up i renewed with the nra and signed on here for regular donations. it was worth it to me, i would never have seen what is going on and assumed anyone denied/ delayed was so for a reason.

stonefly-2
04-05-2013, 5:58 AM
Need help!! Got denied. Just open a letter from DOJ and I got denied. As I stated before. I was arrested on new years day and charged with felont assualt. Case was dropped on Jan 7, d.a never press charges. Have 2 misdemeanors and have purchase many guns before. Who can I contact? please help

here's the list, if any of the misdemeanors listed at the bottom looks familiar you may have just become a fan of vintage fa's, i always have been. if fire power is what floats your boat i think the m1 garand is still "the finest battle rifle ever made by man" who am i misquoting there, patton?

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/prohibcatmisd.pdf?

my guess is none apply.
to be honest i was hoping to start something with trading personal property we are deprived of for a donation to calguns. a little more satisfying than just being bent over.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-05-2013, 7:50 AM
New! DOJ leaked doc. calling for gun registration and confication.......

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/doj-memo-outlaw-and-confiscate-all-guns

lakersandguns
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
How do I get the ntn and stn to fill out the FBI nics form

kknight12
04-05-2013, 12:24 PM
@Lakersandguns, how long did it take to get a letter from the DOJ?

lakersandguns
04-05-2013, 2:23 PM
@Lakersandguns, how long did it take to get a letter from the DOJ?

Ill say exactly 2 months.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-05-2013, 2:36 PM
Leaked DOJ Memo: Outlaw and Confiscate All Guns...

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/doj-memo-outlaw-and-confiscate-all-guns

Tba
04-08-2013, 6:29 AM
What is the record for the longest delay?

I am at 110 days.....nothing, If I had been denied at least I could do something about it. With a delay I am at the mercy of the DOJ.

This sucks!

pawpaw
04-08-2013, 7:13 AM
No info from doj, no help

RED (Y)
04-08-2013, 7:51 AM
87 days...
Did anyone call DOJ recently?

Carlsbad rookie
04-08-2013, 9:22 AM
I dont try and call anymore, i just continue to wait since theres nothing we can do about it anyway.

87 days

RED (Y)
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I will give it a try in 3 days.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
58 dayz and counting.........
With no help anywhere I wish I never spent all that $$$$$$

stonefly-2
04-08-2013, 3:05 PM

i couldn't even give it away.

JM33
04-08-2013, 5:52 PM
So I finally got my second F/A out! The fist one was release last Thursday 4/4 I was on delay for exactly 60 days before anything went through. I will admit that It was frustrating and I had to do some leg work in order to get everything squared away. What I did first was to go through a livescan to dispute any discrepancies with my Rap sheet. Once I obtained the report I noticed some dispositions were missing but it was irrelevant since they did not carry any kind of firearm prohibition on them. After obtaining my livescan I called the courts to verify my information was still available. After a lengthy conversation with the clerk she finally told me that dOJ records are updated periodically and she did not know why I needed to submit any court documentation. She proceeded to explain that abstracts are sent to the DOJ where all the information needed was located ending with "The DOJ knows if you can own a firearm". I then email the DOJ about once a week asking why I needed a disposition even though it clearly shows no prohibiting offenses. All I can say is expect to do some work of your own if not who knows when you will get anything cleared.:yes:

lakersandguns
04-08-2013, 6:05 PM
Has anybody submitted the fbi background check. What did you put as the stn or the ntn?

RED (Y)
04-08-2013, 7:04 PM
So I finally got my second F/A out! The fist one was release last Thursday 4/4 I was on delay for exactly 60 days before anything went through. I will admit that It was frustrating and I had to do some leg work in order to get everything squared away. What I did first was to go through a livescan to dispute any discrepancies with my Rap sheet. Once I obtained the report I noticed some dispositions were missing but it was irrelevant since they did not carry any kind of firearm prohibition on them. After obtaining my livescan I called the courts to verify my information was still available. After a lengthy conversation with the clerk she finally told me that dOJ records are updated periodically and she did not know why I needed to submit any court documentation. She proceeded to explain that abstracts are sent to the DOJ where all the information needed was located ending with "The DOJ knows if you can own a firearm". I then email the DOJ about once a week asking why I needed a disposition even though it clearly shows no prohibiting offenses. All I can say is expect to do some work of your own if not who knows when you will get anything cleared.:yes:
Congrats on your gun! In my case i don't have anything on the record,0,so there is nothing to send to DOJ or no way to "clear things out" as far as it's already crystal clear.I wish DOJ can tell me WHY!!! :chris:

Bainter1212
04-09-2013, 1:16 AM
I know about DROS delays, just wanted to let y'all know according to the DOJ, LEGR forms are subject to a 12 week wait at this time. I have been waiting 4 weeks.

Pinoy11B
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I DROS another one today. Will see what happens of what I was told from couple of days ago that I should not have any problem of being delayed again.

Today, I picked up FA. No issues. Exactly 10 days.

Hang in there CGs. Keep calling, emailing and send letters until you hear something. Good luck guys.

kknight12
04-09-2013, 5:54 PM
I received the call yesterday from my FFL saying that my delay has been lifted and I can go pick up my gun! Started my DROS on 3/25/13 which would of made me eligible to pick up my gun on 4/5/13. The actual day of picking it up was yesterday 4/8/13. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I called the DOJ everyday and left messages and also called the FBI. I just basically kept calling/bugging and looking for information and leaving my name each time. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

crazy_memo
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok guys. I've been keeping up with this thread since January, and I've read every single post since the OP. I wasn't really concerned since I don't have any convictions, but I was arrested back in 2010 by some dirty cops (they are no longer LEOs) and charged with a felony. The case was thrown out due to the FALSE charges.

Last month I went to purchase my first handgun and ended up getting 2 long guns instead. Everything was going fine until the 8th day of the 10 day wait. I got a call from my FFL that my DROS was being delayed. After reading all the horror stories of 100+ days of delay I had no expectations of picking up my FA any time in the near future.

I started going through my options and decided to try the free ones first. I called the DOJ about a dozen times throughout the first week and only got through twice. Both times I was told the same thing: "We can't help you, just wait it out." "We can't discuss anything over the phone." "It should be between 4-6 weeks for your DROS to clear."

I decided to do a LiveScan next and see if it would help, so I looked up the closest one and as was about to head out the door when I got a call from my FFL telling me I had been approved! I went straight to their shop and picked up my FAs. On my way there I just kept thinking they would tell me they had changed their mind right as I walked in. But thank God, everything went smoothly and I was able to take them home without incident.

I don't know what the deal is at the DOJ, but so far I can't seem to find any sort of pattern. I'm going to give you guys all my stats in another post just in case anyone wants to compile all the reports and see if there truly is a pattern. Good luck and good riddance!

crazy_memo
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
STATS

Arrests: 1 Felony arrest, NO CONVICTIONS

Purchase history: 1st time buyer

Purchase date: 3-24-13

Delay date: 4-1-13

Release date: 4-9-13

Days till pick-up: (10 day waiting period + 7 days of delay) = 17 days

Things I did to try and fix it: 1) Called DOJ and was stonewalled 2) Waited it out.

crazy_memo
04-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I forgot to mention, when I went to pick up my FAs I was told that I was the 3rd person that had been approved that was on a delay by the DOJ. So it looks like they might finally be moving things along. DON'T GIVE UP GUYS!

RED (Y)
04-11-2013, 7:31 AM
90 days,VM on old Delays&Denials line, general line-please wait,we are working on it.

stonefly-2
04-11-2013, 8:06 AM
122 days wow!

it's like an alternate reality. in my world i make proposals, a commitment and then follow through. in this economy and calif. business climate even getting paid for my work is a challenge. guess the doj does things the other way around.

Dustyzz
04-11-2013, 1:51 PM
Day 109 for me... still can't get any info out of DOJ. Basically DOJ says there is no information they can give me, nor anyone I can talk to, nor anthing I can do... I just have to wait. This has got to be a clear civil rights violation, but I have no idea how to fight back against the 800 pound gorilla called the California DOJ.

RED (Y)
04-11-2013, 2:45 PM
Did anyone get that letter they are talking about on the web-site and VM recording?

Jmill1981
04-11-2013, 4:06 PM
I dont try and call anymore, i just continue to wait since theres nothing we can do about it anyway.

87 days

Yes that is the reality of it. I waited for about 2 months and finally got my call from the gun shop to pick up my gun. When you get cleared the DOJ will send the gun shop a letter saying you have been cleared. If you have bought guns in California recently in the past you most likely will be approved. At least that is what they told me when I was on delay. I don't know why they are making some people wait over 3 freaking months but basically there is nothing you can do but wait unless you want to find what you are being held for yourself. And you shouldn't have to do that at all because it is their job to do it. And now that is even hard because they will not answer the phone anymore and when they do they will not tell you too much info. I feel your pain guys. I feel it so much that I'm skeptical about even trying to buy a 3rd gun for myself anytime soon o.0!!! I hate to say this but as much as I love Cali our gun laws FREAKING SUCK!!!

JDay
04-11-2013, 9:10 PM
I thought my 2 month delay was bad. Can't believe some people are going on 5 months now.

BrandoGriff
04-12-2013, 3:02 AM
My delay (for a traffic ticket in 2002 they say they don't have a depo on
Sac county shows the ticket in question and its status closed in 2003)
4 MONTHS
17 WEEKS & 4 DAY'S
123 DAYS

REAL NICE................

tallic68
04-12-2013, 5:56 AM
Been dealing with a delay type situation since jan 31. Doj said I needed to petition for seal and destroy arrest record. I just revived the denial of the petition from the sheriff office. Now I get to petition the court.

Good times.
Not.

wildhawker
04-12-2013, 9:42 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, April 12, 2013

The Calguns Foundation, 7 Californians Sue Attorney General Kamala Harris, DOJ Over Gun Delays

SAN CARLOS, CA – The Calguns Foundation has filed a lawsuit on behalf of seven California residents today against Attorney General Kamala Harris, the California Department of Justice, and DOJ Bureau of Firearms Chief Stephen Lindley. The case challenges the DOJ’s policy of requiring some firearm purchasers to prove their legal standing to take possession of acquired firearms and forcing them to wait beyond the statutory 10-day waiting period.

One plaintiff in the case, Daniel Schoepf of Long Beach, California, was denied his fundamental right to keep and bear arms for self-defense even after DOJ told him that he was legally eligible to purchase and possess firearms.

In 1984, Schoepf was detained in Los Angeles County for having two tablets in his pocket that were later discovered to be common, non-prescription pills. The detectives subsequently released Schoepf and no charges were filed. In 2006, DOJ firearms section Program Manager Steve Buford sent Schoepf a letter stating that he was eligible to purchase and possess firearms; however, in 2012, DOJ reversed that position and instructed Schoepf’s local firearms dealer to hold back delivery of Schoepf’s gun.

“I know I’m not alone in this, that DOJ is wrongly denying many Californians their Second Amendment rights just like they are mine,” said Schoepf. “I’m not a criminal and certainly not a disqualified convict but am a law abiding citizen with my Second Amendment rights fully intact. They left me no choice but to fight this injustice in court.”

“Over the past year, the DOJ has been directing California gun dealers to delay the release of firearms to people eligible to possess them – sometimes indefinitely,“ said Jason Davis, attorney for The Calguns Foundation. “The DOJ simply has no legal authority to justify their policy.”

The DOJ claims that these delays are primarily due to lack of information in their criminal history databases. In a July 2011 Los Angeles Times article, assistant attorney general Travis LeBlanc said the DOJ’s criminal records database system was “shoddy,” with the ‘guilty’, ‘not guilty’, or ‘case dismissed’ disposition information missing for about 7.7 million of the 16.4 million arrest records entered into the database over the last decade – and presumably much more for older cases.

“In essence, the DOJ is relying upon their improperly-maintained database to deny the fundamental rights of individuals,” said Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation. “That policy is entirely unacceptable and we look forward to putting an end to it.”

The attorney for plaintiffs in the lawsuit, Victor Otten, agrees.

“Our clients follow the law and so should the DOJ,” said Otten. “The DOJ is gleefully enforcing a policy that deprives my clients of their civil rights. The arrogance of the Department to think that it can abrogate the Constitution and statutory duties set by the Legislature is very unsettling.”

“This case really underscores the value of our DOJ Watch program,” said Brandon Combs, Executive Director of The Calguns Foundation. “Attorney General Harris’s hostility towards some civil rights predictably resulted in a shift away from former Attorney General Brown’s correct application of the law – and we are here to hold her accountable.”

The lawsuit is entitled Schoepf, et. al. vs. Kamala Harris, et. al. A copy of the complaint may be viewed or downloaded at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cgf_dros-delay-complaint.pdf.

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members and the public by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation, and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California. Supporters may visit http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate to join or donate to CGF.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2013/04/the-calguns-foundation-7-californians-sue-attorney-general-kamala-harris-doj-over-gun-delays/

RED (Y)
04-12-2013, 9:52 AM
Great,i hope it will stop DOJ from this delay madness.I signed this case yesterday.

cowboyup
04-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Good work, thank you cgf. Interesting read too.

JDay
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if every plaintiff in the lawsuit gets their firearms released in the next few days. I'm pretty sure mine getting released right after the last update was no coincidence since it wouldn't be hard for DOJ to figure out which delay was mine by looking at my screen name. In any case I hope this puts an end to these violations of our civil rights.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Great work CGF!

I've got two guys waiting since January!

AKSOG
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Great job CGF! Hopefully the lawsuit will light a match under their rear

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, April 12, 2013

The Calguns Foundation, 7 Californians Sue Attorney General Kamala Harris, DOJ Over Gun Delays

SAN CARLOS, CA – The Calguns Foundation has filed a lawsuit on behalf of seven California residents today against Attorney General Kamala Harris, the California Department of Justice, and DOJ Bureau of Firearms Chief Stephen Lindley. The case challenges the DOJ’s policy of requiring some firearm purchasers to prove their legal standing to take possession of acquired firearms and forcing them to wait beyond the statutory 10-day waiting period.

One plaintiff in the case, Daniel Schoepf of Long Beach, California, was denied his fundamental right to keep and bear arms for self-defense even after DOJ told him that he was legally eligible to purchase and possess firearms.

In 1984, Schoepf was detained in Los Angeles County for having two tablets in his pocket that were later discovered to be common, non-prescription pills. The detectives subsequently released Schoepf and no charges were filed. In 2006, DOJ firearms section Program Manager Steve Buford sent Schoepf a letter stating that he was eligible to purchase and possess firearms; however, in 2012, DOJ reversed that position and instructed Schoepf’s local firearms dealer to hold back delivery of Schoepf’s gun.

“I know I’m not alone in this, that DOJ is wrongly denying many Californians their Second Amendment rights just like they are mine,” said Schoepf. “I’m not a criminal and certainly not a disqualified convict but am a law abiding citizen with my Second Amendment rights fully intact. They left me no choice but to fight this injustice in court.”

“Over the past year, the DOJ has been directing California gun dealers to delay the release of firearms to people eligible to possess them – sometimes indefinitely,“ said Jason Davis, attorney for The Calguns Foundation. “The DOJ simply has no legal authority to justify their policy.”

The DOJ claims that these delays are primarily due to lack of information in their criminal history databases. In a July 2011 Los Angeles Times article, assistant attorney general Travis LeBlanc said the DOJ’s criminal records database system was “shoddy,” with the ‘guilty’, ‘not guilty’, or ‘case dismissed’ disposition information missing for about 7.7 million of the 16.4 million arrest records entered into the database over the last decade – and presumably much more for older cases.

“In essence, the DOJ is relying upon their improperly-maintained database to deny the fundamental rights of individuals,” said Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation. “That policy is entirely unacceptable and we look forward to putting an end to it.”

The attorney for plaintiffs in the lawsuit, Victor Otten, agrees.

“Our clients follow the law and so should the DOJ,” said Otten. “The DOJ is gleefully enforcing a policy that deprives my clients of their civil rights. The arrogance of the Department to think that it can abrogate the Constitution and statutory duties set by the Legislature is very unsettling.”

“This case really underscores the value of our DOJ Watch program,” said Brandon Combs, Executive Director of The Calguns Foundation. “Attorney General Harris’s hostility towards some civil rights predictably resulted in a shift away from former Attorney General Brown’s correct application of the law – and we are here to hold her accountable.”

The lawsuit is entitled Schoepf, et. al. vs. Kamala Harris, et. al. A copy of the complaint may be viewed or downloaded at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/cgf_dros-delay-complaint.pdf.

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members and the public by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation, and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California. Supporters may visit http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate to join or donate to CGF.

THANK YOU GUY I HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF US!

stonefly-2
04-12-2013, 11:37 AM
thank you, thank you. i too hope our property will be released soon. i plan to dros something else right away to check. anybody have any pointers on ar's for a first timer?

ke6guj
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if every plaintiff in the lawsuit gets their firearms released in the next few days. I'm pretty sure mine getting released right after the last update was no coincidence since it wouldn't be hard for DOJ to figure out which delay was mine by looking at my screen name. In any case I hope this puts an end to these violations of our civil rights.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2and I would hope that CGF didn't list every single potential plaintiff in the suit. As CADOJ tries to moot the lawsuit by processing the DROS for the plaintiffs, CGF can amend with new plaintiffs. And perhaps CGF's inclusion as a plaintiff can help maintain the lawsuit even if CADOJ clears every personal plaintiff.

hardlyworking
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
and I would hope that CGF didn't list every single potential plaintiff in the suit. As CADOJ tries to moot the lawsuit by processing the DROS for the plaintiffs, CGF can amend with new plaintiffs. And perhaps CGF's inclusion as a plaintiff can help maintain the lawsuit even if CADOJ clears every personal plaintiff.

Niiiiiice :D

RED (Y)
04-12-2013, 1:38 PM
And perhaps CGF's inclusion as a plaintiff can help maintain the lawsuit even if CADOJ clears every personal plaintiff.
Even i will get my FA released,i don't think i will give up on this lawsuit, i still would like to know why i was delayed (92 days and counting) for no particular reason,as far as i'm never had ANY kind of problems with my record.Or may be next time i need to do my taxes i will tell IRS to wait a bit,"i'm busy". :troll:

CrowToad
04-12-2013, 2:36 PM
Hey what do you know? After 3 months of being ignored by DOJ my hold is being released. They woman at DOJ was just as confused as I was as to why there was a hold put on my transfer. Thanks CGF for putting the screws to DOJ!

Seafarer
04-12-2013, 2:44 PM
As one of the 7 petitioners referenced in your press release, allow me to say thank you for your help in this matter. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do about this (and I don't have a lot of hair to devote to such frustrations).

So while I'm only on day 45 of my open-ended and totally unjustified delay (I know there are several folks in the 90+ range), I'm happy to see progress nonetheless.

May you prevail in ALL your battles with the anti-gun nuts...

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-12-2013, 4:26 PM
As one of the 7 petitioners referenced in your press release, allow me to say thank you for your help in this matter. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do about this (and I don't have a lot of hair to devote to such frustrations).

So while I'm only on day 45 of my open-ended and totally unjustified delay (I know there are several folks in the 90+ range), I'm happy to see progress nonetheless.

May you prevail in ALL your battles with the anti-gun nuts...

Yes and hopefully it fixes the problems that we all are having with this issue. Hopefully :confused:
thank you Calgunsfoundation!

mmayer707
04-12-2013, 5:04 PM
Please keep us updated. I would love to know if they are starting to lift the delays after this.

turbohatch
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Good job Cal guns! Im on day 65 of my delay, I hope this helps us all.

kknight12
04-14-2013, 7:11 PM
I was so happy to read this! I was delayed and I have NO criminal record. I was more fortunate than most on here and was able to pick up my FA 3 days after my original pick up date. Get'em CGF!!!

Gammax
04-15-2013, 12:53 AM
I just got word of my delay this morning by turners. The only thing I can think of is.

I had a temp RO by a crazy ex and I was arrested then changed to a detain by cops when I called on my crazy ex gf. After she she hit me many times with a weapon. They have to arrested someone for a DV call. because was acting "weird" and was male, so they "arrested" me. sat in lock up for 2 hours. got to talk to a detective. got changed to a detainment. I pressed charges on my exgf. but nothing ever came of it. I had a serious concussion. took me a year to heal from. And I don't trust cops anymore. I won't call them again.

chris
04-15-2013, 7:22 AM
This is the reason to donate to them. Excellent work CGF. Keep up the good work and to those that were unjustly delayed let us hope the DOJ learned a lesson but I doubt it. IMO these delays are a result of sandy hook.

JDay
04-15-2013, 8:00 AM
IMO these delays are a result of sandy hook.

These delays started early last year.

Tba
04-16-2013, 6:06 AM
118 days and counting............when will this madness end!

stonefly-2
04-16-2013, 6:38 AM
127 geez just deny me already so i can challenge it. iv'e never done anything that would make me a prohibited person. i read the list and it's all stuff l wouldn't do.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Denial of a civil right because the bureaucracy can not or will not process applications in a timely manner. Shameful just shameful.

Ocguy31
04-16-2013, 1:02 PM
I am glad I donated earlier this year. Thank you, THANK YOU for pressing this issue.

Next is the legal battle to over-turn the crap that Sacramento is about to shove down our throats. But this was a much needed suit.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-16-2013, 1:16 PM
Denial of a civil right because the bureaucracy can not or will not process applications in a timely manner. Shameful just shameful.

COULDNT AGREE MORE!

skysurfer
04-17-2013, 4:27 PM
It's all about the DOJ making as much go by hoping that the state senate will make find illegal so ghey don't have to worry about backgroun checks .

Losd619
04-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Just picked up my fa yesterday. No delay luckily. Glad I wasn't one of the random people chosen to be delayed.

AceGirlsHusband
04-18-2013, 7:16 AM
Ya this is BS, especially for people who already own guns.

Now Yee wants YEARLY background checks? How's the hell are they going to do that? This I hope will be the death of the DROS, well see.

This, if it passed, would be a big, bonus fund-raiser besides being a hobble on all legal gun owners (LE and state officials exempted, of course).

Tba
04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
120 Days................ What are my options?

Can you get added to the lawsuit?

jdoane9724
04-18-2013, 1:35 PM
Uhhhmmmm, how do you know about things that will occur in 2 days? Your post is dated Mar. 30, 2013, but according to my sundial, it's only the 18th....?

ke6guj
04-18-2013, 1:51 PM
Uhhhmmmm, how do you know about things that will occur in 2 days? Your post is dated Mar. 30, 2013, but according to my sundial, it's only the 18th....?
huh:confused:

his post on on March 30 related to a webpage dated March 30. today is APRIL 18.

jdoane9724
04-18-2013, 1:59 PM
Ok, sorry, I can't read without my glasses. My apologies to all.

Sucks getting old......

Kixx39
04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Thank you! Been delayed since late Dec. call and they taunet you to get an attorney. Well some of us can't afford an attorney. Had to scrape 300 together to buy my firearm. I have the PFC in my posetion and have never had a problem. It's not right! And I have been patient. The worst is they showed they can do what they want, when they want. I'm glad someone we donate to is finally willing to challenge this ridiculous policy.

crazy_memo
04-19-2013, 9:46 PM
Alright guys, since the DOJ doesn't seem to want to help us out over the phone, it seems like there's nothing much you can do about it right? Well, a couple of days after I was notified of my delay (I have since been approved) I sent an email to the DOJ via their website. link: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/contact

In the e-mail I stated I had been delayed without reason and would like to discuss my case and help fix the problem, but since I was approved 2 weeks later I didn't think much of it when they never responded. Well today, (almost 3 weeks after I sent them that e-mail) I got a call from the DOJ asking if the issue had been fixed and I had been verified. Judging from that time frame, I'd say they are backed up about 2-3 weeks at this point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, E-mail them! Even if they don't get back to you right away, they will call you sooner or later. It seems to be one of the only ways you will be able to get an actual person to discuss your case and try to help you out with it. Good luck guys.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
04-20-2013, 9:09 AM
They don't care about giving our property Cuz they want to confiscate it. Here we go.........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/04/19/california-gun-confiscation-bill_n_3117238.html

RED (Y)
04-20-2013, 9:21 AM
Well i'm over 100 days right now,so sending them e-mail won't make it worse :-) E-mail send,i will let you guys now if i got any feedback from DOJ.

Seafarer
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Alright guys, since the DOJ doesn't seem to want to help us out over the phone, it seems like there's nothing much you can do about it right? Well, a couple of days after I was notified of my delay (I have since been approved) I sent an email to the DOJ via their website. link: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/contact

In the e-mail I stated I had been delayed without reason and would like to discuss my case and help fix the problem, but since I was approved 2 weeks later I didn't think much of it when they never responded. Well today, (almost 3 weeks after I sent them that e-mail) I got a call from the DOJ asking if the issue had been fixed and I had been verified. Judging from that time frame, I'd say they are backed up about 2-3 weeks at this point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, E-mail them! Even if they don't get back to you right away, they will call you sooner or later. It seems to be one of the only ways you will be able to get an actual person to discuss your case and try to help you out with it. Good luck guys.

I'm on day 55 of my delay and I have sent 3 different emails to that email address, at various points in time over those 55 days. And like you, in each case I received a pleasant (well, patronizing would be a better word) phone response, but not a helpful one. In each case I was told to basically cool my heels, these things take time, we're really backed up, thanks for the offer to help but you can't, etc. I think the reason you received such a moderately friendly and helpful response was because your issue had already been sorted out, so it's easy to sound caring and helpful when they know there is no longer a problem. I speak from experience, however, in saying that if your email (and subsequent phone call) had occurred DURING the time of your delay, they likely would not have been as solicitous.

BobbyFord
04-24-2013, 4:56 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm floating around in the "delay" fog, also.
I've been a L.A. City employee for 13 years. I have no felony convictions. My last firearm purchase was 20 years ago. In the past five years, I've been fingerprinted and background checked b the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, as part of my job requirement. I've called the perpetually busy DOJ number with no luck. I've emailed DOJ with no response. I will mail a letter next, I guess. Don't know what else to do.

stonefly-2
04-24-2013, 8:40 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm floating around in the "delay" fog, also.
I've been a L.A. City employee for 13 years. I have no felony convictions. My last firearm purchase was 20 years ago. In the past five years, I've been fingerprinted and background checked b the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, as part of my job requirement. I've called the perpetually busy DOJ number with no luck. I've emailed DOJ with no response. I will mail a letter next, I guess. Don't know what else to do.

best thing to do is donate where you can, study here and elsewhere online to do with your constitutional rights & strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

135 days

HowardW56
04-24-2013, 9:19 AM
best thing to do is donate where you can, study here and elsewhere online to do with your constitutional rights & strap in, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

135 days

I think you called that one!

pawpaw
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
delay lifted! 118 days. 4/23 made my weekly doj call to 3752# and got a ring tone for once. let it ring 20+ times until a young man answered. I advised him of length of delay, he took my CA DRL# and informed me I was not on delay. WHAT? WHEN? He could not tell me when or why due to DOJ policy of "deleting of long gun DROS records once approved". RIGHT, DOJ purges records of approval!
Called FFL and was told electronic approval came 4/22 but approval was dated 4/15. More confusion. DOJ cut 7 days out of my 30 day pick up deadline? But then how would they know when they don't know when they approved me.
WHAT A MESS!
Approved 1 business day after lawsuit. HUM....
Good luck one and all. As DOJ rep said "this does not mean I won't have trouble DROSing again".

Gammax
04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
111 day delay, dang. I'm on day 11. I am adhd and very impulsive. I really really really hate waiting. Congrats on the release of the gun out of jail.

BobbyFord
04-24-2013, 2:45 PM
The FFL that was handling my PPT gave me another DOJ phone number today. The number was a recording stating basically "Regarding your delay, don't contact us, we'll contact you", or otherwise get a lawyer.
I will be donating where I can to fight this.

Seafarer
04-25-2013, 9:58 AM
Here's a quick word of advice, which may or may not apply to you... (please don't take offense if it doesn't apply to you).

In most of these cases the delay arises because some discrepancy has arisen in your background check and our beloved state takes the position that they will release your firearm only AFTER all discrepancies have been resolved.

The discrepancy may be as simple as you have the same or similar name as someone who is prohibited from owning a gun. Or it could be that, while you have no convictions that you believe would preclude you from owning a gun, there is a record of an arrest or a detainment with no clear disposition as to what happened. Unfortunately California takes the stance that they need to know the disposition - their ignorance or poor record-keeping (or that of the FBI) is not their problem it is yours (according to them).

If you think the latter might be the case and you want to try to expedite their efforts to find a resolution, you should find out (and correct) if there are any inaccuracies about you in the databases that they will be checking - that includes checking (and correcting) your California record and your FBI record. The California DOJ website and the FBI website have instructions on how you can do that. It takes time and may cost a little money and you might want to hire a lawyer to help guide you, but it can be done without a lawyer if you want to keep costs down. Oh, and if there is incorrect or inadequate information about you in these databases arising from information provided by other states, you may also have to check (and correct) the information from those other state databases as well (indeed the FBI prefers you correct discrepancies at the state level and have the state communicate to the FBI, they don't generally correct the file upon your request only).

If you suspect it is just a naming mix-up you could perhaps send them an email specifying your full name, current address, previous addresses, etc., to see if that might help them differentiate you, but there is no guarantee that that will help - but it can't hurt.

Good luck!

JDay
04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I doubt there would be a naming mix-up since you provide your DL #, DOB, Full Name, Address, Height, Weight, Race, Hair Color, and a Thumb Print. As you can see there is more than enough information to prevent being mistaken for someone else.

Bainter1212
04-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah I don't understand how a police officer can instantly see your record on his screen when he pulls you over, yet the DOJ takes weeks to figure out if you are a felon or not. There is really no excuse. Either you have a prohibiting record or you don't. End of story.

adame73
04-25-2013, 1:19 PM
I received a call today from turners telling me there is a hold, and they gave me a number to call. Is there a difference from a "Hold" and a "Delay" with the DOJ or Does it mean the same thing?

JDay
04-25-2013, 1:33 PM
I received a call today from turners telling me there is a hold, and they gave me a number to call. Is there a difference from a "Hold" and a "Delay" with the DOJ or Does it mean the same thing?

Same thing.

HowardW56
04-25-2013, 1:33 PM

That may have been the Turners person telling you it is a Hold. DOJ normally refers to either a delay or denial.

How are dealers notified regarding DROS denials and delays?
If the DOJ determines that a purchaser is ineligible to possess a firearm, the DOJ will deny the sale. The dealer will be notified via telephone not to deliver the firearm. A confirming letter will be sent via the U.S. Mail, and a message via the PSD (for dealers who have a PSD).

When the DOJ is not able to immediately determine a purchaser's eligibility to possess firearms, the dealer is notified as above to delay delivery of the firearm. Once a determination is made, the dealer will be notified as above to cancel the sale or to deliver the firearm.

(PC section 12076(d))

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#22G (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#22G)

RED (Y)
04-25-2013, 8:01 PM
105 days...Never heard back from them.

Seafarer
04-26-2013, 2:07 PM
Just because they have full information on the DROS applicant based on the information submitted on the form doesn't mean they have the equivalent level of detail on the person with whom they have you potentially confused upon first pass. Also, your DROS information speaks only to who you are NOW (current address, D/L number, even weight), not everything about you for the last 40 years.

While I don't think it should take them 100+ days to sort out these confusions, I can definitely see confusions cropping up. And as the CGF lawsuit indicates, there are widespread errors in these background databases.

But the burden should be on the state to prove there is a problem with you within the 10 day allotted period, not on you to disprove you aren't any of the John Smiths popping up in their databases...

JDay
04-26-2013, 2:40 PM
Just because they have full information on the DROS applicant based on the information submitted on the form doesn't mean they have the equivalent level of detail on the person with whom they have you potentially confused upon first pass. Also, your DROS information speaks only to who you are NOW (current address, D/L number, even weight), not everything about you for the last 40 years.

The person you're confused with would have fingerprints on file and DOJ has your thumbprint, thumbprints don't change. And your CA DL/ID # never changes.

While I don't think it should take them 100+ days to sort out these confusions, I can definitely see confusions cropping up. And as the CGF lawsuit indicates, there are widespread errors in these background databases.

But the burden should be on the state to prove there is a problem with you within the 10 day allotted period, not on you to disprove you aren't any of the John Smiths popping up in their databases...

The state doesn't need 10 days to run your background. If they'd just use NICS like the rest of the country does it'd be instant. I am convinced the DOJ is purposely delaying many people when no cause exists, it is not hard or time consuming to check if someone is a convicted felon. If it was the police wouldn't be able to check your criminal history in a matter of minutes during a traffic stop.

kemasa
04-26-2013, 3:01 PM
The person you're confused with would have fingerprints on file and DOJ has your thumbprint, thumbprints don't change. And your CA DL/ID # never changes.

Incorrect. The DOJ does not have your thumbprint. While it is on the copy of the DROS, it is not submitted to the DOJ. I think that the only time it would be used is if a prohibited person attempted to buy a firearm and then denied that they signed the DROS.

While your CA ID/DL does not change, if you live outside of CA you can have a ID/DL from another state, which you may or may not transfer to CA and CA may or may not keep a record of it, but there are cases where it would not be tied to you. For example, if you got a ID in another state, let the ID expire, then moved to CA and got a DL, the ID from the other state would not be associated with you. You might be the same person, but it could also be from another person.

The state doesn't need 10 days to run your background. If they'd just use NICS like the rest of the country does it'd be instant. I am convinced the DOJ is purposely delaying many people when no cause exists, it is not hard or time consuming to check if someone is a convicted felon. If it was the police wouldn't be able to check your criminal history in a matter of minutes during a traffic stop.

There are additional records which may or may not relate to you. The background check is pretty quick, but that does not mean that other things are not an issue.

It could be that the DOJ is doing it on purpose, or it could be that they have serious issues, but the real thing is that unless they have proof that you are prohibited, the transfer should go through. If they don't know, that is their problem, they need proof. Right now they are saying that you need to prove you are not prohibited, which is impossible.

CharlieCharlie
04-26-2013, 4:53 PM
I purchased a S&W M&P 9 on 3-18-13. On 3-28 the dealer called me and said they could not release the weapon to me as they had not received clearance from the DOJ. They directed me to contact the DOJ. I have called several times and can't speak to a human, just get the message to wait for a letter. I don't know if I'm just being delayed or denied and as of today have not received any letter. Can I join the law suit against Obama's babe Kamala Harris? :)

HowardW56
04-26-2013, 5:01 PM
I purchased a S&W M&P 9 on 3-18-13. On 3-28 the dealer called me and said they could not release the weapon to me as they had not received clearance from the DOJ. They directed me to contact the DOJ. I have called several times and can't speak to a human, just get the message to wait for a letter. I don't know if I'm just being delayed or denied and as of today have not received any letter. Can I join the law suit against Obama's babe Kamala Harris? :)

That is odd. The way I understand it, if they don't hear from DOJ, on the 10th day they release the firearm. They only hear from DOJ for a delay or denial...

wildhawker
04-26-2013, 5:11 PM
That is odd. The way I understand it, if they don't hear from DOJ, on the 10th day they release the firearm. They only hear from DOJ for a delay or denial...

Such is the issue at bar in the lawsuit. DOJ is sending "do not release" letters that force the FFL to hold (delay) release of the firearm.

-Brandon

JDay
04-26-2013, 5:52 PM

You'd know if you were denied.

cryan
04-26-2013, 6:25 PM
Greetings, i purchased my first gun from j&g sales online. Its a glock 26 it was sent to a local ffl waited my ten days then i was delayed. Its been a week since my delay started. I called doj and actually got through he asked if had been arrested which i had been. Spent a few days in jail then released with no charges. I am assuming thats the hang up on delay so today i did a live scan which costed another 50$. I spent 540$ on the gun 140$ for tranfer fee plus tax, 50$ for live scan and counting. Not counting gas and time. Called local courts and they have no record of my arrest 12 years ago. I know im not alone here but my first experience has been horrible.

jjcain
04-27-2013, 9:54 AM
Add another one to the list. I'm also assuming this has to do with an arrest from years ago. Also, charges dismissed, never arraigned, never set foot in a court/had to get a lawyer, etc. The only conviction on my record is an infraction for a disturbance of the peace/noise complaint. No misdemeanor much less a felony. I did the LiveScan and ran my FBI rap sheet as well for posterity sake. Oh, 3 days and counting on the delay. I'm sure I'll just hire a lawyer once I get the disposition results. At least I'm assuming they'll be in there. Ah, fun and games...... I'm glad I already have some firearms with me, or I'd be a tad more upset. As is, it is just comically ridiculous.

cryan
04-27-2013, 1:10 PM
I have been checking many websites including cal guns and doj amongst others hoping to find some info that will help release my glock. I watch youtube vids on glock 26 so i dont forget what she looks like. I hope this doesnt go on for months. Itching to fire a 26 so i thought about renting one at the range. But that would just cost more money that i shouldnt have to spend. I think about moving my family out of california everyday.

Carlsbad rookie
04-29-2013, 9:05 AM
Add another one to the list. I'm also assuming this has to do with an arrest from years ago. Also, charges dismissed, never arraigned, never set foot in a court/had to get a lawyer, etc. The only conviction on my record is an infraction for a disturbance of the peace/noise complaint. No misdemeanor much less a felony. I did the LiveScan and ran my FBI rap sheet as well for posterity sake. Oh, 3 days and counting on the delay. I'm sure I'll just hire a lawyer once I get the disposition results. At least I'm assuming they'll be in there. Ah, fun and games...... I'm glad I already have some firearms with me, or I'd be a tad more upset. As is, it is just comically ridiculous.

I remember back when I was upset for being delayed 3 days. I am now 4 months delayed with no contact from the DOJ. I have already contacted my FFL to get a refund on my purchase. I've never been introuble or had any brush with the law ever. Good luck to all those that have been patiently waiting.

jjcain
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Update. FFL just called and said it was approved.

So, 5 days on hold (my 10 day wait was up yesterday, so really only 1 day over).

As others have stated, if you know you should be fine, but you've had an arrest in the past I'd go have a Livescan run per the DOJ site. It seems to be a successful strategy for some and it doesn't hurt (other than a few bucks) to know what is definitively on your record.

Good luck all.

RED (Y)
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow,i got some progress here!DOJ claimed they can't verify my legal status in US.

RED (Y)
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
USCIS stated that based on the records i got i'm legal here,so next step is filing VAF and get my fingerprints.

stonefly-2
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
if the calif. dept. of justice says they can't confirm your legal status in 109 days it's not progress it's just a new lame dodge. i don't even care about my gun anymore but thanks for doing your part to air the stink out of corrupt state government. we all want felons, crazies and drug addicts not to be able to have guns. what will it take to get the doj to be about the business of doing their job instead of involving themselves with partisan politics?

cryan
04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I talked a guy at the doj last week and he asked for driver license number and confirmed i was still delayed.no other info. Today i called again spoke to lady and she would not check my status she would not take my dl#. So i guess they do what they feel like doing. Not consistent.

JDay
04-29-2013, 11:54 AM
I remember back when I was upset for being delayed 3 days. I am now 4 months delayed with no contact from the DOJ. I have already contacted my FFL to get a refund on my purchase.

You did just what these delays are designed to make you do. The DOJ won.

philobeddoe
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
if the calif. dept. of justice says they can't confirm your legal status in 109 days it's not progress it's just a new lame dodge. i don't even care about my gun anymore but thanks for doing your part to air the stink out of corrupt state government. we all want felons, crazies and drug addicts not to be able to have guns. what will it take to get the doj to be about the business of doing their job instead of involving themselves with partisan politics?

I don't care if drug addicts, felons and crazies have guns ... they do. End DOJ infringement and the problem will solve itself.

cryan
04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
I talked a guy at the doj last week and he asked for driver license number and confirmed i was still delayed.no other info. Today i called again spoke to lady and she would not check my status she would not take my dl#. So i guess they do what they feel like doing. Not consistent.

lakersandguns
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Thank god. Got a call right now that I can pick up my rifle

lakersandguns
04-29-2013, 1:31 PM
Here's what I did. For a whole month I felt sorry for my self. After that I took initiative to get this resolve. I did the life scan. After that the doj sent me a letter saying I was deny. I filled out the form they sent and court papers. 21/2 weeks later I get a call from the gun shop to pick up my gun. For every one, just keep calling them. I did, some how got the person who was handling my file and sent the court papers twice

RED (Y)
04-29-2013, 9:34 PM
Ok,i think i made a good step forward today.
1.Called DOJ and claimed i'm over 100 in delay and never heard back from them,they checked my CA DL # and confirmed that i'm still delayed BUT (!!!) the told me why! "We got some conflicting information about your legal status in US"
2.Called US CIS-they confirmed that i'm crystal clear and legal
3.Called back to DOJ and told them that US CIS has nothing to do with it and they are showing that i'm legal resident.DOJ person took my phone # and said he will call back.
4.2 Hours later got a call back from DOJ person,who said that " We also have confirmation from US CIS that you are a legal here and you are a permanent resident,but FBI NICS shows you as flagged person for being illegal alien,you need to check with FBI now.We understand that you ARE LEGAL,but we need a clearance from FBI-call FBI"
5.Called FBI,and of course these guys won't talk to you,you need to file a form and get fingerprinted in you sheriff's office and send it to them.
6.Filed forms.Made an appointment for tomorrow for fingerprints
I will keep you posted, but so far,after all this wait i can at least do something and get this problem resolved.
FIY http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/nics/appeals
Here is the forms might be helpful for all of us who are delayed.This is not a livescan (RAP sheet) this form will help you to get you background info updated in FBI system.

mrdd
04-30-2013, 2:37 AM
Ok,i think i made a good step forward today.
1.Called DOJ and claimed i'm over 100 in delay and never heard back from them,they checked my CA DL # and confirmed that i'm still delayed BUT (!!!) the told me why! "We got some conflicting information about your legal status in US"
2.Called US CIS-they confirmed that i'm crystal clear and legal
3.Called back to DOJ and told them that US CIS has nothing to do with it and they are showing that i'm legal resident.DOJ person took my phone # and said he will call back.
4.2 Hours later got a call back from DOJ person,who said that " We also have confirmation from US CIS that you are a legal here and you are a permanent resident,but FBI NICS shows you as flagged person for being illegal alien,you need to check with FBI now.We understand that you ARE LEGAL,but we need a clearance from FBI-call FBI"
5.Called FBI,and of course these guys won't talk to you,you need to file a form and get fingerprinted in you sheriff's office and send it to them.
6.Filed forms.Made an appointment for tomorrow for fingerprints
I will keep you posted, but so far,after all this wait i can at least do something and get this problem resolved.
FIY http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/nics/appeals
Here is the forms might be helpful for all of us who are delayed.This is not a livescan (RAP sheet) this form will help you to get you background info updated in FBI system.

This shows that the CA DOJ does do an NICS check as part of the background check. Maybe the US DOJ (FBI) is also getting in on the delaying tactic.

kantstudien
04-30-2013, 8:45 AM
Thank you for the lawsuit! Hope this prevents anymore bull**** delays on DOJ's part.

I was informed of a 1-per-30 handgun violation even though I DROSed on the 32nd 24-hr period. Can't call anyone to complain since the phone keeps ringing or is disconnected. After calling 30-40 times a day for a week, I said eff it and just re-DROSed.

Z28
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
USCIS stated that based on the records i got i'm legal here,so next step is filing VAF and get my fingerprints.

Is this your first gun purchase Red (Y)?

mrrabbit
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
This shows that the CA DOJ does do an NICS check as part of the background check. Maybe the US DOJ (FBI) is also getting in on the delaying tactic.

I've been saying way back since when that CA-DOJ and CA-AG is doing something out of view of the public with the Feds database/records wise to create the means to force delays that otherwise would not occur.

I hope that the lawsuit forces whatever it is out in the open...

And the focus appears to be trying to find literally anything including arrests for which there has been a lag in the recording of those records that indicate follow-up.

=8-)

iolisx
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I've been on delay for close to 3 months now due to an arrest back in 1989 that was a misdemeanor .Last week I decided to do some leg work myself to track down the missing paperwork from the court house in my county. After spending a few hours between the court house and the records dept I've found that they have a wrong case number associated with my name and have been told that they cannot find any thing in thier records. I sent off forms for a live scan and that was a dead end as well. I've informed the doj several times that I can not get this file as it is gone and I have no idea where else to look. The doj's response to me was that they will not release my guns until they have the files from the courthouse(which are gone). So now I feel like my 2nd amendment right is being held hostage due the court systems inability to keep thier records straight. One other thing is that I HAvE bought several guns since my one and only arrest back in 1989.I would gladly join this lawsuit if I knew who to contact.

El Toro
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Go http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/

RED (Y)
04-30-2013, 1:58 PM
Is this your first gun purchase Red (Y)?

Yes

iolisx
05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
I have tried sending emails to calguns foundation and i get no response from them.

JDay
05-01-2013, 12:49 AM
I have tried sending emails to calguns foundation and i get no response from them.

Jason Davis is the one to talk to.

RED (Y)
05-01-2013, 9:02 AM
Send VAF application,fingerprints and other paperwork to FBI,hope these guys are faster then DOJ. DOJ guy said my FA will be released as soon as FBI removes a flag from my record. :facepalm:

lakersandguns
05-01-2013, 9:24 AM
Send VAF application,fingerprints and other paperwork to FBI,hope these guys are faster then DOJ. DOJ guy said my FA will be released as soon as FBI removes a flag from my record. :facepalm:

Hopefully it's soon.

cryan
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Today i went to the district attorney office where i was arrest and released 12 years ago. I asked the clerk to send my incomplete arrest record to doj and she said she needs paper work from the doj as to where to send it. So when ever the doj sends me my livescan or paperwork as to why i was delayed i am a sitting duck. I tried to get ahead but i failed. Waste of time. I asked the clerk for a copy for my record and she wrote my phone# down a copy of dl#. But she didnt say if i was getting a copy in the mail. Pomona ca court emplyees are not easy people to deal with.

jeffyboy
05-01-2013, 6:05 PM
I was delayed on Jan 10th 2013 for no good reason other than a no disposition arrest 22 years ago. I called the CA DOJ and got no where. I contacted the arresting agency and the DA and got no where. I even contact a private attorney and, again, got no where, I then contacted the Calguns Foundation and was listed as plaintiff #2 in the recent lawsuit against Attorney General Kamala Harris and the CA DOJ. Today, 111 days later, my FFL called and released my firearm. To say I am happy is an understatement, but I am also dismayed that this once great state can do this kind of stuff to us, the law abiding citizen, where we have to take legal action to regain our rights.

I hope everyone here donates to the Calguns foundation as with only their help did I regain my rights. Thank you to Brandon and whole Calguns foundation team,

RED (Y)
05-01-2013, 7:44 PM
Congrats! I hope FBI will remove "Illegal Alien" flag from my record soon and i will get my gun.

One78Shovel
05-02-2013, 3:44 AM
I just DROS'd up a SIG P238 yesterday. Bought a long gun in Jan and a pistol last month no issues. Will post if delayed on this one

-178S

lakersandguns
05-02-2013, 7:20 AM
Today i went to the district attorney office where i was arrest and released 12 years ago. I asked the clerk to send my incomplete arrest record to doj and she said she needs paper work from the doj as to where to send it. So when ever the doj sends me my livescan or paperwork as to why i was delayed i am a sitting duck. I tried to get ahead but i failed. Waste of time. I asked the clerk for a copy for my record and she wrote my phone# down a copy of dl#. But she didnt say if i was getting a copy in the mail. Pomona ca court emplyees are not easy people to deal with.

Takes time. Took me about a month to receive something by mail from doj after my live scan.

cryan
05-02-2013, 8:52 AM
I am trying to be patient. I was just trying to get ahead of the game. I have no choice but to wait on the doj.

cryan
05-02-2013, 8:04 PM
Ag i hope to be as lucky as you. Hopefully my live scan letter gets here soon.

JDay
05-02-2013, 9:18 PM
Takes time. Took me about a month to receive something by mail from doj after my live scan.

Took less than a week to get mine. In fact I checked the status as soon as I got home from getting printed and it was already in the mail.

lakersandguns
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Im just glad all this crap is done with.

stonefly-2
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Im just glad all this crap is done with.

:sleeping:

lakersandguns
05-03-2013, 8:05 AM
:sleeping:

Sorry.:(

Tba
05-03-2013, 8:40 AM

Actually got through to DOJ this week, was told I was arrested (detained) in 1980. They say they need to know the disposition of that arrest.... and I could be waiting a very long time.

This is BS

Gammax
05-03-2013, 9:17 AM
So what's the difference between arrested/detained vs just detained?

lakersandguns
05-03-2013, 9:38 AM

Actually got through to DOJ this week, was told I was arrested (detained) in 1980. They say they need to know the disposition of that arrest.... and I could be waiting a very long time.

This is BS

You have to do work too. Try to get the court papers. Fax to them. Inconvenience, but teirs no other choice

cryan
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
When i went to the da office a few days ago they had no record of my arrest. Again i was arrested and released 3 days later. I never had a court date and never charged. Sent to twin towers in downtown. She asked me my name 5 times plus she had my drivers license and no record of any thing but she said she would call if anything came. Plus i went to the navy after that and i had to get that case closed to get in the navy i went to the district attorneys office my recruiter years ago.

JDay
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
When i went to the da office a few days ago they had no record of my arrest. Again i was arrested and released 3 days later. I never had a court date and never charged. Sent to twin towers in downtown. She asked me my name 5 times plus she had my drivers license and no record of any thing but she said she would call if anything came. Plus i went to the navy after that and i had to get that case closed to get in the navy i went to the district attorneys office my recruiter years ago.

Have you done a live scan? I did one and my rifle was released 2 weeks later.

MURRIETA45
05-03-2013, 1:16 PM
Just got introduced to this thread. 33 days into my DROS. Looks like I've got some waitin' to do.

JDay
05-03-2013, 2:46 PM
Anyone had a delay released and bought another since? Wondering if I'm going to get delayed again.

cryan
05-03-2013, 3:10 PM
I did a live scan 1 week ago. I know im being inpatient but i spent alot of money and want what i paid for. Plus i want to test out my new glock 26 plus i have the 19 on back order. I didnt expect this delay because i served in the military and i pay taxes i dont break laws and i raise my kids to up standing americans. I love this country I dont like being treated like this.

JDay
05-03-2013, 4:14 PM
I did a live scan 1 week ago. I know im being inpatient but i spent alot of money and want what i paid for. Plus i want to test out my new glock 26 plus i have the 19 on back order. I didnt expect this delay because i served in the military and i pay taxes i dont break laws and i raise my kids to up standing americans. I love this country I dont like being treated like this.

I know the feeling. Bought an AR-15 back in January and got delayed for around 2 months even though I stay out of trouble and have had several full scope background checks done over the last 6 years with no issues. In fact I just let my inactive clearance expire last year. You might get lucky like me and have your firearm released within a couple weeks of getting your live scan results.

Tba
05-03-2013, 4:50 PM
So what's the difference between arrested/detained vs just detained?

It think it goes something like this,

If there is insufficient grounds for a criminal complaint against the person arrested, the person is released, it should be called a detention.

But what do I know.

If I knew any thing 30 years ago I would have filed a Petition to Seal and Destroy Form (PC 851.8).

It should not be my job to prove I am allowed to own a firearm.

Apparently in Ca if you want to own a firearm you have to never have had any contact with the police ever.

gigglemonkee
05-03-2013, 4:55 PM
Anyone had a delay released and bought another since? Wondering if I'm going to get delayed again.

I have bought 7 and sold 2 since my delay with no problems. Jeez 7 guns in 3 months.

stonefly-2
05-03-2013, 5:12 PM
Sorry.:(

that's okay,but i'm not refering to the situation with my gun. this crap is far from over.

JDay
05-03-2013, 5:24 PM
I have bought 7 and sold 2 since my delay with no problems. Jeez 7 guns in 3 months.

Nice. I'm DROSing a Sig 1911 and Sig 556 Monday.

cryan
05-04-2013, 10:02 AM
I recieved my live scan today. I must say the california law process is horrible. My live scan says i was arrested for assault with a firearm on a person. With no deposition talk about being hosed for some thing i didnt do i wonder if this has affected any jobs i applyed for. So now i have to miss some work to get this fixed. California needs to get there **** together.

lakersandguns
05-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I recieved my live scan today. I must say the california law process is horrible. My live scan says i was arrested for assault with a firearm on a person. With no deposition talk about being hosed for some thing i didnt do i wonder if this has affected any jobs i applyed for. So now i have to miss some work to get this fixed. California needs to get there **** together.

Sorry to hear that. Yup seems here in California 2a is just a privilege more than a right.

darkhorse714
05-06-2013, 9:49 AM
Update to my ongoing saga.

I was delayed on Sept 25 2012. I was told that it was due to a "no disposition" arrest from 1995. I was told that the only way to get my FA released was to get the arrest sealed and destroyed. On March 1 2013 the orders were granted. March 4th I called the DOJ and was told my FA was still on hold. March 6th I went to the court house and asked if a copy of my orders could be sent to the DOJ. The clerk walked away for a few minutes and returned with her supervisor. They told me that the orders were already sent electronically and that it would take at least 60 days for the records to be updated. April 3rd I decided to try my luck and called the DOJ. The agent I spoke to told me that the courts don't send the orders to the DOJ and that I needed to send in the hard copies. May 2nd I called the DOJ and was told my FA was still on hold and that I should call the records review dept. Today I called the records review dept and was told that they received the orders on April 4th. I was told that it could take between 60 to 90 days before my records are updated. After that it is it goes on another pile before it could be released. I dont understand how a retired Marine with clearence to work at FBI and DHS can be put through this crap.

mrrabbit
05-06-2013, 11:24 AM
So let's see...

1. CA-DOJ / AG is doing everything possible to delay firearms purchases just for having "sneezed" the wrong way in the criminal justice system some time in the past.

2. Our legislators are trying to ban semi-autos, register everyone and everything, restrict ammo sales, etc...

3. Obama is down in Mexico apologizing for the US having won the Mexican-American war, despite paying 15 million for real estate - then more money later and then billions upon billions more for welfare, school, etc., for illegals...and bailouts...

4. Rubio aided by "moderate" Republicans is pushing amnesty for millions of illegals...

5. All the while you have talking head "educated" elites on Sunday morning shows describing how it was a phony war, that Lincoln was the first anti-war hero, that we are occupying land that is not ours - and then illegals are merely returning home in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas.

Coincidence?

Doubt it...

=8-)

r3captain
05-06-2013, 4:54 PM

What # did you call in order to talk to a human being??

Ag_Surfer
05-06-2013, 6:24 PM
Any time I tried Calling for the past 30 days it just rings and now there is a recording “That they cant talk about YOUR record over the phone and if you are delayed you will receive instructions by mail on what you need to do. It sounds like we are trying to hit a moving target check your windage boy’s its not going to be EZ.

Gammax
05-06-2013, 8:25 PM
It think it goes something like this,

If there is insufficient grounds for a criminal complaint against the person arrested, the person is released, it should be called a detention.

But what do I know.

If I knew any thing 30 years ago I would have filed a Petition to Seal and Destroy Form (PC 851.8).

It should not be my job to prove I am allowed to own a firearm.

Apparently in Ca if you want to own a firearm you have to never have had any contact with the police ever.

Can I do this petition myself or do I need a liar to represent me?

JDay
05-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I dont understand how a retired Marine with clearence to work at FBI and DHS can be put through this crap.

Don't you know, Feinstein said that since veterans could have PTSD that none should be allowed to own firearms. It is pretty messed up that you have been delayed that long, I hope you have talked to Jason Davis and are part of the current lawsuit.

Theseus
05-06-2013, 10:57 PM
JDay, I believe that quote was a paraphrase, not an actual quote.

JDay
05-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Close enough.

yuy64j6Xcrg

PhillyGunner
05-07-2013, 7:09 AM
JDay, I believe that quote was a paraphrase, not an actual quote.

While those were not her exact words, I feel like the paraphrase is a more accurate reflection of what she was saying.

I, too, feel strongly that we must be deadly accurate in our quotes and data especially because the opposition is being so disingenuous. What we need is a way to identify understood meaning when the words the speaker uses don't reflect their actual meaning.

Case in point... "I support the 2nd Amendment" is the quote, but often, lately, the actual meaning has been "I will do what ever is necessary to control your rights".

Gammax
05-07-2013, 8:46 AM
Case in point... "I support the 2nd Amendment" is the quote, but often, lately, the actual meaning has been "I will do what ever is necessary to control your rights".

With the anti gunners I get more of "I wish I could remove your 2a rights. But since I can't, I want to do as much as the others will let me to limit those rights.

biscuitbarrel
05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I hope this isn't a dupe. I received this email newsletter from Michel and Associates (calgunlaws.com):

California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms Severely Backlogged in Issuing Licenses and Permits

In light of the recent increase in applications for firearm purchases as well as the reshuffling of personnel, the California Department of Justice ("DOJ") has become severely backlogged in conducting background checks and issuing various licenses and permits. Turnaround times for Personal Firearms Eligibility Checks and Law Enforcement Gun Release Applications, along with common background checks for firearm acquisition, are seeing unprecedented delays.

The licenses and permits delayed include dangerous weapons permits, certificates of eligibility ("COE"), large-capacity magazine (LCM) permits, entertainment firearms permits, and centralized list of firearm dealers permits. Currently, the DOJ is issuing temporary permits to avoid any lapses in the renewal of licenses and permits.

Because of the flood of calls concerning these delays, DOJ has stopped answering its phones. There is a recorded message informing licensees and permitteees that it may take up to eight weeks in processing any renewals. Generally, DOJ does not send out renewal notices until 30 days before the licenses or permits are set to expire.

All federal firearms licensees and permittees should review their permits and licenses for the expirations dates. Licensees and permittees should have any necessary supplemental paperwork prepared up to two months before filing a renewal. Once the renewal notice is received from the DOJ, the necessary paperwork should promptly be submitted to ensure that there will be no lapses in any licenses or permits. If a license or permit has expired and no renewal license or permit has been sent, make sure that you have a valid temporary license or permit from the DOJ in the meantime.

wildhawker
05-07-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope this isn't a dupe. I received this email newsletter from Michel and Associates (calgunlaws.com):

Yep, same issue.

-Brandon

cryan
05-07-2013, 7:16 PM
I called this # 9162273752doj. Tomoorow i am going to the district attorneys office again to find some sort of paper work to send to the doj with the live scan forms i received. Hopefully this will help clear my record. They have arrest records with no disposition. Making me look like an ******* when my finger prints are takin. What kinda crap is that.

cryan
05-07-2013, 7:47 PM
I called this # 9162273752doj. Tomoorow i am going to the district attorneys office again to find some sort of paper work to send to the doj with the live scan forms i received. Hopefully this will help clear my record. They have arrest records with no disposition. Making me look like an ******* when my finger prints are takin. What kinda crap is that.

JDay
05-08-2013, 12:40 AM

You should have received a dispute form with your live scan results.

MURRIETA45
05-08-2013, 8:30 AM
Ok.... for those of you that have a delay, have you received any type of letter or communication (other than the dealer contacting you) from the DOJ informing you on how to resolve your delay issue and if so, how long after you started DROS did you get the letter/communication. If not, how long have you been waiting w/o receiving info. I started DROS on 03/30/13 and have not received any communication from the DOJ.

JDay
05-08-2013, 8:42 AM
I believe the letters are a lie. I had a 2 month delay and never received an explanation. It was finally released back in March. Hopefully this doesn't happen again with the two DROS' I currently have in the system.

Gammax
05-08-2013, 9:05 AM
I believe the letters are a lie. I had a 2 month delay and never received an explanation. It was finally released back in March. Hopefully this doesn't happen again with the two DROS' I currently have in the system.

I think that you get a letter only if you are denied.

lakersandguns
05-08-2013, 9:40 AM
I think that you get a letter only if you are denied.

Yes that's what I got. A letter asking if you want to challenge the decision and to send any court documents. I faxed and mailed the letter with the court papers. 2 weeks later, gun shop called to pick up my gun.

RED (Y)
05-08-2013, 9:48 AM
I haven't heard that DOJ contact anyone with delay issues,after 3 month of delay the only progress made was because of me being pushy and keep trying to reach DOJ and get reasons for delay.Right now i'm wating for FBI to update my information in the system,and in theory as soon as it's done i should be able to get my FA.Anyways-no signs of DOJ trying to resolve these issues.YOu want it-you do it.

jjcain
05-08-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm sure you will, but please update if your subsequent DROS's go through without delay. I may buy another just to test that myself after my delay/release the past couple of weeks.

That's ANOTHER ridiculous part of this whole mess. You basically have to buy another gun in order to verify that whatever caused a previous delay has really been addressed in their "system".

JDay
05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm sure you will, but please update if your subsequent DROS's go through without delay. I may buy another just to test that myself after my delay/release the past couple of weeks.

That's ANOTHER ridiculous part of this whole mess. You basically have to buy another gun in order to verify that whatever caused a previous delay has really been addressed in their "system".

Others in this thread have had no issues with future DROS' after their initial delay was lifted.

Gammax
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Sounds like a perfect reason to buy another gun.

cr250chevy
05-08-2013, 1:25 PM
This is unbelievable; it seems to be a decent problem (not just one person having this problem) and yet they raid the funds from the account to properly run the program....

MURRIETA45
05-08-2013, 2:45 PM
Thanks for the replys. I spoke w/ a woman last week and I explained my concerns. She said to call back in 2 weeks and if I hadn't received my ok to go ahead and call her and she would see what she can do. The number I got a hold of her with was not the normal 227-3752 number.

Bainter1212
05-08-2013, 2:55 PM
This is stupid. On Feb 2nd I was cited (non-prohibiting misdemeanor) and my gun was confiscated. Charges dropped pre trial. Sent in a request for a LEGR form so I can get my gun back (same process as DROS). Still waiting for my LEGR form, and last week I payed for, and then ten days later picked up, a new handgun!!! So according to DOJ I can't yet legally get my revolver back, yet it's ok for me to buy a new Kimber. Can't believe this crap. I can't help but think that Kamala Harris has ordered her minions to delay and deny firearms owners as much as possible.

kemasa
05-08-2013, 3:04 PM
Still waiting for my LEGR form, and last week I payed for, and then ten days later picked up, a new handgun!!! So according to DOJ I can't yet legally get my revolver back, yet it's ok for me to buy a new Kimber.

While it would cost more, you could have a FFL pickup your firearm and submit the DROS to get it back.

JDay
05-08-2013, 3:12 PM
While it would cost more, you could have a FFL pickup your firearm and submit the DROS to get it back.

How so? As far as I'm aware it can only be released to the owner.

kemasa
05-08-2013, 3:23 PM
How so? As far as I'm aware it can only be released to the owner.

Incorrect.

The FFL goes to the police, along with the person who had the firearm taken from them. The person signs a release and the FFL takes the firearm.

This is done where the person is prohibited or when the firearm is not in the person's name (received the firearm when it was not required to go through a dealer). I have picked up firearms for both of those cases. In the second case, the firearm was DROS'd to the person and after 10 days, he got to pick it up.

The police will release a firearm to the person if they have the form or to a FFL.

cryan
05-08-2013, 4:55 PM
Hey lakersandguns can u give me the fax number so i can fax my paperwork to the doj. I recieved my livescan along with "claim of alleged inaccuracy or incompleteness" paperwork thats to be filled out and sent back to doj along with supporting documentation.

cryan
05-08-2013, 4:55 PM
Thank you sir

lakersandguns
05-09-2013, 6:53 PM
cryan the fax # is 916-227-3700. Call and ask them if they can give you the name of person who is handling your record review case. Say you have to fax over the court documents. If they say no just fax them and call back and tell them you faxed over court documents. And you want them to give to the person who is handling your file. I made the mistake of just faxing and not double checking if they got them. when i faxed the second time i told them i had already fax them, they said they never received. Don't forget to also mailed them. Good luck almost their.

cryan
05-10-2013, 6:35 PM
Thanks lakersandguns. Well this morning i faxed the paperwork i purchased for 25$ from the clerks office at the courthouse. 25 minutes later i missed a call from peggy at the doj she said she received the fax and shes in the process of calling the courts to verify and three hours later i received a call from the gun shop to pick up my gun. Wow how surprised was I. Thanks to all the info from the members of calguns I dont know where i would be with out this forum i was going crazy until i read about others in the same position. Thank you

MURRIETA45
05-10-2013, 6:47 PM
Congrats!.... I haven't had to jump thru hoops like a lot of you have. I'm supposed to call DOJ on Monday. Don't know the persons name who I spoke with 2 weeks ago. Hopefully she'll be able to assist in some way. I'm on a delay, not denied if that makes a difference.

JDay
05-10-2013, 6:55 PM
Is it just me or have the delays stopped since the lawsuit was filed?

MURRIETA45
05-10-2013, 7:00 PM
When was it filed? I DROS'ed late March and got the delay call a week later.

lakersandguns
05-10-2013, 7:16 PM
Murrieta, I too was on delay for 2 months. Then I received a letter saying I was denied. Don't know your situation but good luck. They also told me to call back and when I did, they didn't know what I was talking about.

MURRIETA45
05-10-2013, 7:24 PM
Wow!... that sucks. I hope this doesn't go south on me. Thing is, I have NO situation. I have bought and sold several firearms in my lifetime with no issues. That's what blew me away when I got the call from the dealer. I've read this whole thread but don't remember if you got yours released or not.

lakersandguns
05-10-2013, 7:38 PM
Yeah finally did.

MURRIETA45
05-10-2013, 7:40 PM
Good to hear!

JDay
05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
When was it filed? I DROS'ed late March and got the delay call a week later.

April 12. See the first post.

MURRIETA45
05-11-2013, 9:15 AM
^^^^^
Sorry.....brainfart!

ErikTheRed
05-12-2013, 2:50 AM
I've never had any trouble purchasing a firearm, but a few years ago when I applied for my CCW I was demanded by the Sheriff's Department to fully explain 24-yr-old information in my record. I was in a fist fight in high school and the kid's parents tried to have me arrested and charged with assault and battery. The case went to the DA and was dropped almost immediately, I was never arrested nor charged with any crime. But because some yahoo a-hole parent tried to bring a case against me, that information is still on my record to this day and almost cost me my CCW. Yeah, I'd say the DOJ system is pretty well screwed up.

Ag_Surfer
05-12-2013, 6:53 AM
I would say the system is kind of working . The buyers or interfamily transfers of a FA that are delayed because of one spot on there record that’s good the system is working they are doing there job. Don’t get me wrong I’m trying to clear up one spot of my own that has not been an issue until 2013. The failure of the system is how the DOJ handles after the delay by not offering any info on WHY or how to rectify the delaying issue.

taperxz
05-12-2013, 7:05 AM
Is it just me or have the delays stopped since the lawsuit was filed?

OR is it that SB140 is now law?

NOW DOJ can go ahead and breeze through the system, let the firearm on possibly questionable offenses be obtained and then go after the prohibited with the millions they have?

Now they have a record of who has these guns, and can actually go ahead and arrest the prohibited and convict the prohibited with firearm possession.

Its going to get to the point where if you buy a firearm and had something happen in your past, you better know if you are in fact prohibited or not or they will knock on your door with a warrant.

BrandoGriff
05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
DROS submitted 12/10/12 delayed 7th or 8th day. Reason, traffic ticket in sac county "they" couldn't find a depo on.
Action taken: many letters of disapproval to many elected officials + faxed in the only record i could get (Sac county website) showing depo.
letter dated May 08 2013 that they got around to faxing on 05 09 2013.
It reads as followed: Dear firearms dealer: the info needed to determine the eligibility of the above purchaser has been obtained and the status of the firearm has been obtained and confirmed. you may deliver the firearm thank you for bla bla bla in this matter. If you have any questions give us a call at 916 227-3752
So there it is. I'll throw another shrimp on the barbie soon I will let ya know how it go's.

Seafarer
05-12-2013, 8:45 PM
Ok.... for those of you that have a delay, have you received any type of letter or communication (other than the dealer contacting you) from the DOJ informing you on how to resolve your delay issue and if so, how long after you started DROS did you get the letter/communication. If not, how long have you been waiting w/o receiving info. I started DROS on 03/30/13 and have not received any communication from the DOJ.

I'm on delay day #75 and I've never received a letter of explanation. Has ANYONE ever received a letter while just on delay? (open question to all).

JDay
05-13-2013, 7:02 AM
I would say the system is kind of working . The buyers or interfamily transfers of a FA that are delayed because of one spot on there record that’s good the system is working they are doing there job. Don’t get me wrong I’m trying to clear up one spot of my own that has not been an issue until 2013. The failure of the system is how the DOJ handles after the delay by not offering any info on WHY or how to rectify the delaying issue.

Unless you are a prohibited person the firearm is supposed to be released after 10 days. These delays are illegal.

MURRIETA45
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Well I just called the DOJ after being told to wait two weeks and call back. Got the automated message saying to wait for a letter in the mail (if delayed or denied) explaining the reason for delay or denial.

So, for those of you that had a delay, did you ever receive a letter or is this something new as I thought you only got the letter if denied.

Dustyzz
05-13-2013, 1:55 PM
Day 141 of my delay and STILL haven't heard a peep from DOJ nor will they give me any information: no info via phone, nor fax, nor written letter, and they will not allow in person office visits. I have been repeatedly told by the DOJ staff: "there is nothing you can do but wait, we will let your dealer know when you can pick up your firearm". This is an abuse of power and completely disgusting behavior from our "justice" system. At this point in time I would prefer to just simply get denied, at least I would know what this is about and could dispute whatever the holdup is... as it is, when your on delay you are in limbo-land until the DOJ decides to do something with your DROS.

JDay
05-13-2013, 2:53 PM
Have you done a Live Scan? I did and my rifle was released a few days after I got my rap sheet.

Gammax
05-13-2013, 3:40 PM
Woot, my wait is over, just got the call from turners. Going to pick up my first firearn. Wait time was 30 days from the hold. Good luck gentlemen and ladies.

Ag_Surfer
05-13-2013, 3:45 PM
Congrats Gammax Happy Hunting.

lakersandguns
05-13-2013, 4:36 PM
dustyzz do a live scan