PDA

View Full Version : 9/19/2013 CGF Files New Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit to Stop DOJ's DROS Delay Policy

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

JDay
03-01-2013, 2:10 PM
That is probably what they are trying to confirm.

All they have to do is look at the PC#.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

RED (Y)
03-01-2013, 2:47 PM
It's not disconnected it's just getting hammered with calls. Call it after business hours and it'll ring.

The guy from General DOJ line said they are not answering this phone #

JDay
03-01-2013, 3:12 PM
The guy from General DOJ line said they are not answering this phone #

I got through first try today. The lady who answered had a serious attitude problem.

RED (Y)
03-01-2013, 4:16 PM
Well,sounds like there is a new story every day.I will try to call D&D number on Monday then,last time i talked to DOJ guy he said "We are too busy and we are not answering D&D #"
Plus i want to know the reason for delay as far as i'm not aware of any problems with my background. The only thing i found after review my paperwork is my Greencard got a middle initial V and DL and SS card doesn't.Is that might be a problem?

lakersandguns
03-01-2013, 4:50 PM
So has their been any succes stories in all of this. Im starting to get a little worry and frustrated. I was charge with felony assault with deadly weapon but DA did not press charges case was dropped. BTW it was self defense.They can't legally denied me if i was never convicted of any crime.

jonzer77
03-01-2013, 5:11 PM
All they have to do is look at the PC#.

It would have been easier if those were avoided in the first place :)

JDay
03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
It would have been easier if those were avoided in the first place :)

Hard to avoid a failure to appear when you pay the fine and the court screws up and issues a warrant for your arrest. Not to mention all the people who have been arrested, had their firearms seized, and then get released without charges because no law was broken. Or do you think law abiding citizens never get arrested?

jonzer77
03-02-2013, 3:52 PM
Hard to avoid a failure to appear when you pay the fine and the court screws up and issues a warrant for your arrest. Not to mention all the people who have been arrested, had their firearms seized, and then get released without charges because no law was broken. Or do you think law abiding citizens never get arrested?

I like how you explained the warrant but skipped the juvenile arrest, pretty slick there :)

JDay
03-02-2013, 5:12 PM
I like how you explained the warrant but skipped the juvenile arrest, pretty slick there :)

What I said applies to both. Charges were dropped. And have you ever had a traffic ticket? If you have you were under arrest.

lakersandguns
03-02-2013, 5:35 PM

Man I'm beginning to give up on all this. Here's my story.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=673856

JDay
03-02-2013, 5:41 PM
Man I'm beginning to give up on all this. Here's my story.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=673856

I don't have access to that forum.

jonzer77
03-02-2013, 6:53 PM
What I said applies to both. Charges were dropped. And have you ever had a traffic ticket? If you have you were under arrest.

I have had traffic tickets before but it never affected my ability to buy a gun and pick it up at the end of the 10 days.

JDay
03-02-2013, 7:49 PM
I have had traffic tickets before but it never affected my ability to buy a gun and pick it up at the end of the 10 days.

Fight one and get it dismissed in court and now it will thanks to the DOJ making a new policy.

jonzer77
03-03-2013, 9:31 AM
Fight one and get it dismissed in court and now it will thanks to the DOJ making a new policy.

Good thing I obey traffic laws as well and if I do end up with a ticket, I pay it.

JDay
03-03-2013, 9:42 AM
Good thing I obey traffic laws as well and if I do end up with a ticket, I pay it.

Well aren't you perfect.

tcrpe
03-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Well aren't you perfect.

Crap, how long have you been delayed? And you've heard nothing?

That ain't right.

JDay
03-03-2013, 10:59 AM

That ain't right.

Getting close to 2 months now. I've left several messages, none of which have been returned. I'm about to the point where I'm just going to find an 80% to complete and see if the shop will let me pull my LPK.

lakersandguns
03-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Getting close to 2 months now. I've left several messages, none of which have been returned. I'm about to the point where I'm just going to find an 80% to complete and see if the shop will let me pull my LPK.

If I had a lower on delay I wouldn't worry so much. I have a freaking Scar16. Could I cancel the ppt , as it was on my wife's name. She said she wanted to keep it to begin with. Ill wait until this blows over, if it ever does

JDay
03-03-2013, 12:34 PM
If I had a lower on delay I wouldn't worry so much. I have a freaking Scar16. Could I cancel the ppt , as it was on my wife's name. She said she wanted to keep it to begin with. Ill wait until this blows over, if it ever does

Perhaps you don't mind having your rights trampled but some of us do.

JMP
03-03-2013, 12:43 PM
That ain't right.
Agreed.

Nothing has theoretically changed in the DROS process, right?
-still felony, domestic violence, drug use, citizenship renunciation, dishonorable discharge, mental ill--adjudicated as unfit to hold trial.

Maybe they are digging deeper and mixing records?

tcrpe
03-03-2013, 1:46 PM
Agreed.

Nothing has theoretically changed in the DROS process, right?
-still felony, domestic violence, drug use, citizenship renunciation, dishonorable discharge, mental ill--adjudicated as unfit to hold trial.

Maybe they are digging deeper and mixing records?

Well, I'm not sure. Somewhere along the line, DOJ indicated that they were using "changed criteria", whatever that means.

This was the first mention I saw. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=10175553&postcount=101)

blunden1
03-03-2013, 3:16 PM
Well I thought I had a problem but after reading some of the postings I guess I don't. On 12/21/2012 I purchased my daughter a handgun for XMAS, soon she was informed there would be a delay, fast forward to present and we find neither one of us can get any info from DOJ, not even "we are working on it". I find this very frustrating but looks like my best course of action is to "sit still and try to be patient". Unless of course anyone has any suggestions.

lakersandguns
03-03-2013, 5:37 PM
Well I thought I had a problem but after reading some of the postings I guess I don't. On 12/21/2012 I purchased my daughter a handgun for XMAS, soon she was informed there would be a delay, fast forward to present and we find neither one of us can get any info from DOJ, not even "we are working on it". I find this very frustrating but looks like my best course of action is to "sit still and try to be patient". Unless of course anyone has any suggestions.

I here you. It's very frustrating that you can get any information from this people when we pay their salaries.

RP1911
03-03-2013, 7:52 PM
What I really would like to find out if any male or female was put on delay at no fault of his or her own while he or she has a TRO or RO out and got hurt because he or she couldn't defend himself or herself with a firearm.

JoeyJ
03-04-2013, 9:57 AM
day 65 for me on a hand gun BUT, and I'm holding my breath, I jailed a long gun on the 23rd and if no call today can pick it up tomorrow at 10am. But still no word on the first delay, hoping if the long gun makes it through I can leverage off this one to release the first hand gun. Wish me luck.

Carlsbad rookie
03-04-2013, 3:31 PM
day 65 for me on a hand gun BUT, and I'm holding my breath, I jailed a long gun on the 23rd and if no call today can pick it up tomorrow at 10am. But still no word on the first delay, hoping if the long gun makes it through I can leverage off this one to release the first hand gun. Wish me luck.

Wow 65 days, hang in there! Im only 7 weeks in so far and still no light at the end of the tunnel. I found an article on yahoo today showing some statistics of nationwide firearm sales and applications sent for approval. Dec and Jan had some pretty significant increases in volume and hopefully thats the main reason for the delay. I have never been in trouble ever and im on delay so im hoping that its just a matter of them actually getting to my application.

On an off topic note can someone please share with me why they think its important to donate to the NRA and other gun groups? I keep reading everyday about more and more restrictions and laws trying to be passed against having a gun, so with more and more rules against gun ownership it deosnt really seem like peoples donations are doing anything. I would like to be hopeful and think that one person can make a difference but it seems like the liberals are winning and doesnt matter how much money you throw at it the trend is still going downward.

JoeyJ
03-04-2013, 3:48 PM

Well no go on my long gun either. Picked up my second delay notice on my way home, good thing I'm going out of town for a few weeks, maybe I'll have good news by the time I get back.

michiganboy
03-04-2013, 5:29 PM
This thread was disturbing me but I've pick up a handgun and a long gun. One in January and one today. My record is by no means clean but nothing prohibiting. I think you guys share something else in common. Unresolved tickets maybe?

MRAR15
03-04-2013, 5:39 PM
This thread was disturbing me but I've pick up a handgun and a long gun. One in January and one today. My record is by no means clean but nothing prohibiting. I think you guys share something else in common. Unresolved tickets maybe?

Glad it worked out for you. I have a felony turned misdemeanor and civil rights restored. Wish it was a ticket rather than a constitutional matter......

cuat_420
03-04-2013, 5:50 PM

You should probably start at the beggining...most of the people here have an idea why they are delayed. If you have EVER been arrested for a prohibitive offense, and there is no disposition, you will be delayed. Is it right? No. Is it a violation of rights? Yes. There are many people working through the process of getting this fixed, but there is no magic "common thing" that gets you delayed. Glad to hear that everything worked out for you with no problems, but "bragging" does nothing for the people in this thread who are not as lucky. Not saying you meant it that way, but trust me, as someone who was recently delayed for 87 days for a BS arrest, the last thing we want to hear about is how easy it has been for you. I am done ranting now.

michiganboy
03-04-2013, 6:44 PM
You should probably start at the beggining...most of the people here have an idea why they are delayed. If you have EVER been arrested for a prohibitive offense, and there is no disposition, you will be delayed. Is it right? No. Is it a violation of rights? Yes. There are many people working through the process of getting this fixed, but there is no magic "common thing" that gets you delayed. Glad to hear that everything worked out for you with no problems, but "bragging" does nothing for the people in this thread who are not as lucky. Not saying you meant it that way, but trust me, as someone who was recently delayed for 87 days for a BS arrest, the last thing we want to hear about is how easy it has been for you. I am done ranting now.

I was not bragging and have followed this thread for months and read every post. I actually was just glad that I didn't get a delay, thinking here comes mine next. I was actually just trying to give hope for others. Sorry for your long wait.

turbohatch
03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Well no go on my long gun either. Picked up my second delay notice on my way home, good thing I'm going out of town for a few weeks, maybe I'll have good news by the time I get back.

That sucks man,having 2 guns stuck is terrible. Were you arrested for something in the past? I was put on delay 2/7 and im still waitng......

0nTarg3t
03-04-2013, 11:18 PM

sorry but thats exactly what this thread needs,reading nothing but doom and gloom has really got me worried about getting a delay notice. seeing a post or two like his gives me some hope that i'll pick-up my firearm with no problems.

Carlsbad rookie
03-05-2013, 7:19 AM

Congratulations on picking up your toys! its always good to hear when someone doesnt have any problems. You have to think that it they are processing tens of thousands of applications every month that a high percentage pick up with no trouble at all. For those people that are on delay because of things they KNOW they did wrong in their past well then thats just part of the game and they have to wait. Some of us have never gotten anything other then a speeding ticket and we are waiting as well. Theres all kinds of us out there and many waiting for all different kinds of reasons. I personally cannot wait to come back to this tread someday and say I was able to pick up my guns! haha hopefully someday soon

JoeyJ
03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
That sucks man,having 2 guns stuck is terrible. Were you arrested for something in the past? I was put on delay 2/7 and im still waitng......

Yes (35-40 yrs ago) and all were dismissed within days but seeing that I've cleared on previous purchases I believe it has more to do with the DOJ taking the path of least resistance on BGCs. If there's any out of state issues they just delay, throw you in the limbo pile and get to you when they get to you. I'm going for copies of my record and do the work for them.

JDay
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes (35-40 yrs ago) and all were dismissed within days but seeing that I've cleared on previous purchases I believe it has more to do with the DOJ taking the path of least resistance on BGCs. If there's any out of state issues they just delay, throw you in the limbo pile and get to you when they get to you. I'm going for copies of my record and do the work for them.

I've never had any run ins with the law outside of California and only minor run ins with them in the state. Lived in this state my entire life and I am going on 6 weeks delayed. It's been 47 days since I did the DROS and I still haven't been able to find out anything from DOJ.

tcrpe
03-06-2013, 7:35 AM
Have any "delays" been released? A lot? Regularly?

JDay
03-06-2013, 8:31 AM
Hardly any have been released. In fact most shops will tell you none have.

tcrpe
03-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Hardly any have been released. In fact most shops will tell you none have.

Then it appears that what we have here is what we call "bureaucratic constipation".

That usually requires outside intervention for relief.

gigglemonkee
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
7 days into a dros now after my last was delayed with no explanation. drosing another tomorrow so hopefully I can get my gun every few days habit going again. and i have never been arrested, detained, anything and have an uncommon name and was delayed.

JDay
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
7 days into a dros now after my last was delayed with no explanation. drosing another tomorrow so hopefully I can get my gun every few days habit going again. and i have never been arrested, detained, anything and have an uncommon name and was delayed.

Don't be surprised if you get a delay call tomorrow.

wildhawker
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
UPDATE 3/6: Everyone who reported their issue to us should have already received an email from attorney Jason Davis. If you DID NOT receive an email from Jason, please email him ASAP (mailto:jason@calgunlawyers.com) with your DROS delay status and contact info. It is imperative that you connect with Jason if you wish CGF to help you remedy your matter.

-Brandon

lakersandguns
03-06-2013, 2:09 PM
Email sent

JDay
03-06-2013, 2:30 PM
Received my email earlier and I will be contacting him later today or tomorrow.

wildhawker
03-06-2013, 4:11 PM
Received my email earlier and I will be contacting him later today or tomorrow.

Make it today.

-Brandon

RED (Y)
03-06-2013, 6:57 PM
UPDATE 3/6: Everyone who reported their issue to us should have already received an email from attorney Jason Davis. If you DID NOT receive an email from Jason, please email him ASAP (mailto:jason@calgunlawyers.com) with your DROS delay status and contact info. It is imperative that you connect with Jason if you wish CGF to help you remedy your matter.

-Brandon

E-mail sent

SDrangeRat
03-06-2013, 9:29 PM
I'm only on day 5 but I'm worried after reading through this thread. I have an old arrest that was dismissed over 10 years ago. Worried I'm screwed. I have a drug arrest from 11 years ago that was dismissed. I just upgraded my NRA membership to Life and sent CGF, and SAF donations. I never had issues buying guns in free states Colorado and Missouri. Planning my move back to CO but I'm at least 18 months out. Worried the laws will change too quickly.

JDay
03-06-2013, 9:59 PM
I'm only on day 5 but I'm worried after reading through this thread. I have an old arrest that was dismissed over 10 years ago. Worried I'm screwed. I have a drug arrest from 11 years ago that was dismissed. I just upgraded my NRA membership to Life and sent CGF, and SAF donations. I never had issues buying guns in free states Colorado and Missouri. Planning my move back to CO but I'm at least 18 months out. Worried the laws will change too quickly.

You're going to get a delay, especially if those arrests were out of state.

SDrangeRat
03-07-2013, 6:03 AM
It was actually only one arrest, 9/2002 in Virginia. I have an original court document showing case dismissed. Will this help?

Carlsbad rookie
03-07-2013, 9:35 AM
I sent my information to the CalGuns attorney this morning. I also called my local gun sho thats holding my gun waiting to be picked up and asked if my delay was released yet, they said no and I asked if they have had any other customers get released lately and he said no no one in the last two months has gotten released.

Cactus_Tim
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
That's because they want you to do the dance first.
It took two months of dancing through legal channels to clear up something that should have been closed decades ago.
After practically having to force certain agencies to clean up their paperwork, and electronic records, my delay was released.
I was literally on the phone with an attorney planning an administrative review when they contacted me and said the case file had been found and they were updating the record.

Dustyzz
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I did not receive an email, but I sent an email to jason@calgunlawyers.com with my contact information today.

/JR.

JDay
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Well I just received a phone call from my FFL to come pickup my lower a few minutes ago. 7 weeks from the day I did the transfer.

cuat_420
03-08-2013, 1:08 PM
Well I just received a phone call from my FFL to come pickup my lower a few minutes ago. 7 weeks from the day I did the transfer.

Congrats!!!

lakersandguns
03-08-2013, 1:12 PM

I'm jelly

GraySquirrel
03-08-2013, 2:09 PM

Coincidence or Mr. Davis working his magic?

RED (Y)
03-08-2013, 3:25 PM
I hope they are moving.I'm about 7-8 weeks delayed right now.Did they tell you WHY?

MRAR15
03-08-2013, 3:34 PM
:helpsmilie:DOJ AGENTS AT MY DOOR TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS. Said nothing other than attorney will be in contact. :helpsmilie:

I have contacted Calguns numerous times via hotline and email and have had no response and could use the additional assistance. :helpsmilie:

clbshooter
03-08-2013, 3:50 PM
What do you mean they are at your door? Did you actually answer the door and they were there? No search warrant? Did not take you away when they left? This does not sound right. I was delayed over 2 months and they would not return my calls or e-mails much less come to my door 2 days in a row. Just trying to figure out what you are saying even thou you are new and have like 6 posts, so please elaborate further. There are too many people dealing with this crap for someone to come in and s### on us. If this is the truth then I am sorry but if this is crap then GTF out of here.

lakersandguns
03-08-2013, 3:55 PM
thats not good. i also have not received any emal reply. Not sure if they receive my emails

JDay
03-08-2013, 3:58 PM
Coincidence or Mr. Davis working his magic?

No idea why it was released today.

I hope they are moving.I'm about 7-8 weeks delayed right now.Did they tell you WHY?

No reason was given, just got a call saying it had been released.

lakersandguns
03-08-2013, 4:54 PM
Wow your case is bad.

JDay
03-08-2013, 7:32 PM
You need to pull your record and verify/dispute it before anything can be done.

K9paulc
03-08-2013, 9:38 PM
Wow, this is getting crazy real fast.

MRAR15
03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Thats essentially what happened to me but within 8 years i was cleared to purchase a gun. #leavecalinow

stonefly-2
03-08-2013, 11:04 PM
and i recognize all of those phone numbers and all of the lies we were told. i only came on here yesterday to find i wasn't alone. same deal ,i'm 54, had an arrest, charges dropped, in 1984, doj needs disposition form #8715. court says they mailed them that at the time and has purged there records. i did send in the calguns form, i guess i just missed some deadline huh? figures.

wildhawker
03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
You need to pull your record and verify/dispute it before anything can be done.

That's not true.

At this point, please only post in this thread unanswered questions that are appropriate for a public venue.

-Brandon

wildhawker
03-08-2013, 11:45 PM
and i recognize all of those phone numbers and all of the lies we were told. i only came on here yesterday to find i wasn't alone. same deal ,i'm 54, had an arrest, charges dropped, in 1984, doj needs disposition form #8715. court says they mailed them that at the time and has purged there records. i did send in the calguns form, i guess i just missed some deadline huh? figures.

Did you not receive an email from Jason Davis?

-Brandon

Tba
03-09-2013, 5:54 AM

Same here............an arrest in 1983, out of state, charges dismissed, on delay since 12/20/2012. Unaware of any form, that is a new one on me.
I filled out the calguns form, did not receive email, but sent one to Jason anyways.

stonefly-2
03-09-2013, 6:54 AM
Did you not receive an email from Jason Davis?

-Brandon

i just got a hearty welcome e mail from cal guns. i called his office for info because i was having trouble with the form (i'm pre digital) the lady said he would call next week.

thanks, randy

tcrpe
03-09-2013, 9:17 AM
MRAR15's story, if accurate, carries serious implications. I would not put that kind of tactic beyond DOJ.

MRAR15
03-09-2013, 9:31 AM
MRAR15's story, if accurate, carries serious implications. I would not put that kind of tactic beyond DOJ.

Should I clarify anything? Yes what I've shared with the group is accurate and DOES carry serious implications and is why I am sharing to make sure everyone knows the injustice that is going on.

tcrpe
03-09-2013, 9:41 AM
Don't post any more specifics.

wildhawker
03-09-2013, 11:34 AM
i just got a hearty welcome e mail from cal guns. i called his office for info because i was having trouble with the form (i'm pre digital) the lady said he would call next week.

thanks, randy

Randy, email your contact info and story to Jason Davis here (mailto:jason@calgunlawyers.com).

wildhawker
03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Should I clarify anything? Yes what I've shared with the group is accurate and DOES carry serious implications and is why I am sharing to make sure everyone knows the injustice that is going on.

As previously noted, don't post any more online. Email your contact info and story to Jason Davis here (mailto:jason@calgunlawyers.com).

JoeyJ
03-10-2013, 9:03 AM
Emailed, thanks Calguns!!

Carlsbad rookie
03-11-2013, 7:25 AM
I am a newer member only singed up in January and am still waiting on my DROS delay from Janaury, I enjoy reading this post and knowign that there are similar people in the sam ecircumstance as me with waiting for their handguns to be released. However......this whole thing with cops coming to your door wanting your weapons is abslutely ridiculous and sounds like something from back in the 80 when everyone thought the Russians were coming and the media hyoed everyone into a crazy rage. Come on people relax they are not going door to door looking for your guns so stop spreading panic and adding to the problem. BTW congrats JDAY for getting your release, we have both been waiting approximately the same amount of time so maybe i'll get my call soon too! Thanks for all the great helpful information!

MRAR15
03-11-2013, 8:15 AM
Hey rookie, I'm sure you aren't questioning the reality of DOJ agents coming to my house so I'll agree the majority need not worry...yet. I however am looking for help in my very concerning situation....

Mikearfifteen83
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Congrats jday glad to hear you finally got that lower I've been following this thread even after I got mine released and for the people still waiting hope you all get your guns soon. Good to know we have someone working on our side to get this delay situation case going. Hang in there y'all

repub1mom
03-11-2013, 2:26 PM
Another update on our 'delay'. We were able to make contact with "Justin" at the DOJ, phone number 916-227-3752, just now, 3:15 pm on 3/11/2013. He would not give his last name. He asked for my bf's DL number and full name as well as date of purchase. He knew of a prior purchase of a handgun, named it specifically, but knew nothing of the longarm purchase in question. He asked if we purchased it last week, because that is when he shows it was put through their system. That was bewildering, as the date of sale was the beginning of February, and we questioned if this was some sort of identity theft...doesn't appear so. Anyway, at this point, we are not sure if it's the DOJ or the gun shop causing the delay. I know both are overwhelmed. We called said gun shop and since they're technically closed today, we didn't get any help. Will try back tomorrow.

I suppose, if the DOJ is correct....we should only be waiting another 4-5 days to pick up the 30.06.

Update to come. Oh, and this longarm was purchased on 2/4/13.

lakersandguns
03-11-2013, 4:36 PM
I still have not heard from DOJ, gun shop or calguns foundation about my rifle. Im just waiting now. Really want to buy a shotgun.

tcrpe
03-11-2013, 4:41 PM
Confused. Just who is buying this firearm?

That's who should be dealing with DOJ.

No offense intended.

You're sending out straw purchase signals.

Another update on our 'delay'. We were able to make contact with "Justin" at the DOJ, phone number 916-227-3752, just now, 3:15 pm on 3/11/2013. He would not give his last name. He asked for my bf's DL number and full name as well as date of purchase. He knew of a prior purchase of a handgun, named it specifically, but knew nothing of the longarm purchase in question. He asked if we purchased it last week, because that is when he shows it was put through their system. That was bewildering, as the date of sale was the beginning of February, and we questioned if this was some sort of identity theft...doesn't appear so. Anyway, at this point, we are not sure if it's the DOJ or the gun shop causing the delay. I know both are overwhelmed. We called said gun shop and since they're technically closed today, we didn't get any help. Will try back tomorrow.

I supposed, if the DOJ is correct....we should only be waiting another 4-5 days to pick up the 30.06.

Update to come. Oh, and this longarm was purchased on 2/4/13.

turbohatch
03-11-2013, 9:52 PM
doj confiscating guns

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-12/california-seizes-guns-as-owners-lose-right-to-bear-arms.html?cmpid=yhoo

0nTarg3t
03-12-2013, 12:38 AM
just picked my gun up today no problems.i was really sweating every time the clerk walked into the back room sure he would return with delay notice.there is another firearm i want to purchase, but i don't know if i can take the stress of all the BS going on.could this be there motive?

good luck to all that are still waiting, your day will come. (hopefully sooner than later)

Carlsbad rookie
03-12-2013, 8:20 AM
just picked my gun up today no problems.i was really sweating every time the clerk walked into the back room sure he would return with delay notice.there is another firearm i want to purchase, but i don't know if i can take the stress of all the BS going on.could this be there motive?

good luck to all that are still waiting, your day will come. (hopefully sooner than later)

Congratulations!!! i've been on here the last two months and its nice to see a couple of people that have been waiting so long getting their release letters! Thats good news!

JDay
03-12-2013, 8:30 AM
Congratulations!!! i've been on here the last two months and its nice to see a couple of people that have been waiting so long getting their release letters! Thats good news!

He wasn't delayed.

wildhawker
03-12-2013, 3:42 PM
I still have not heard from DOJ, gun shop or calguns foundation about my rifle. Im just waiting now. Really want to buy a shotgun.

Did you email Jason Davis?

-Brandon

shogun805sb
03-12-2013, 8:16 PM
Ten days ago I purchased my first handgun from a local gun store Springfield XD.40. Today I get a dredging phone call from my dealer telling me the DOJ has placed a DELAY on my purchase! How long does this take? When will I get my handgun? I have no felonies, the only thing I can think of that delaying it would be a domestic violence in 12/2007 I wasn't charged but a emergency restraning order was placed but expired 4 days later. I can only guess because the DOJ has no info to give me at all no what where how when. All the lady told me was to wait for my dealer to call me with an answer, that could take anywhere from a couple of days to a few months! Total BS! Any advise any help what should I do?

lakersandguns
03-12-2013, 8:20 PM
yeah, twice

hkseeker62
03-12-2013, 8:22 PM

Bruce Colodny
Firearms Lawyer
Defending California Gun Owners
Orange County 1-714-639-6767
San Bernardeno County 1-909-862-3113

SilverTauron
03-12-2013, 8:29 PM
I'm not directly affected by any of these shenanigans, but I offer a motion to the Moderators to delete/lock this thread.

Its clear the DOJ is taking their policy very seriously, and with more people being caught up in the delays/denials/direct contact incidents, I think its a good idea to pull the plug now for OPSEC reasons before someone posts something which can blow up in all our faces.

I know its a great idea to stay informed, but when it comes to topics of law and procedure discretion is vital. Let this end with a link to contact the appropriate attorneys and Calguns legal resources for those who find this thread, and have done with the matter.

wildhawker
03-12-2013, 8:33 PM
yeah, twice

I just nudged him. Email him and cc me if you haven't heard from him in 24 hours.

-Brandon

mrrabbit
03-12-2013, 8:38 PM
I'm not directly affected by any of these shenanigans, but I offer a motion to the Moderators to delete/lock this thread.

Its clear the DOJ is taking their policy very seriously, and with more people being caught up in the delays/denials/direct contact incidents, I think its a good idea to pull the plug now for OPSEC reasons before someone posts something which can blow up in all our faces.

I know its a great idea to stay informed, but when it comes to topics of law and procedure discretion is vital. Let this end with a link to contact the appropriate attorneys and Calguns legal resources for those who find this thread, and have done with the matter.

I prefer this thread continue...

=8-)

shogun805sb
03-12-2013, 8:50 PM
Thanks for the info ill call tomorrow, it's just frustrating I waited the ten day patiently and now have to wait more and make it worse don't know how long!

wildhawker
03-12-2013, 8:51 PM
**UPDATE** re DROS delays: submit unreported issues to CGF attorney Jason Davis NOW! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=656150)

cuat_420
03-12-2013, 9:02 PM
So after 87 days delayed for my AR, and being assured by DOJ that this wouldn't happen again, I took that as a date to try again (at least that us how I justified it to the wife), so I DROS'd a Sig P220 Equinox on March 1st. I picked it up today, no issues. There was however, a gentleman in his late 50's, regular customer, who had never been in trouble and he was told he couldn't take his rifle home because he was delayed. Not sure if there is something else in his DROS that got him delayed, but I am afraid it is just clarification that they are still delaying due to not enough people to review all of the purchases.

BrokerB
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
kind of funny... My buddy picked up his .45 today. He talked to DOJ today and they said.." we released your hold on 2/18/13.. The gun store never called him to say its ready for pickup

lakersandguns
03-13-2013, 1:12 PM
**UPDATE** re DROS delays: submit unreported issues to CGF attorney Jason Davis NOW! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=656150)

Pm sent

JDay
03-13-2013, 3:52 PM
Pm sent

Read his sig line, he does not read PMs.

shogun805sb
03-13-2013, 7:29 PM
After a 1 day delay. I got a call from my dealer, " your clear come and get it!!"

pawpaw
03-14-2013, 7:47 AM
80 days into DROS delay. Still no "official" reason though I suspect 1980 arrest in another state with no recorded disposition (charges dismissed).
New DOJ recorded message states: A letter with record that caused rejected/delayed/denied will be sent, DOJ staff can not discuss R/D/D and R/D/D's should consult with attorney.

lakersandguns
03-14-2013, 8:40 AM
I just nudged him. Email him and cc me if you haven't heard from him in 24 hours.

-Brandon

I give up. I'm just going to keep on waiting I guess. I have sent 3 emails to Jason and pm you, still haven't heard.

JDay
03-14-2013, 8:59 AM
80 days into DROS delay. Still no "official" reason though I suspect 1980 arrest in another state with no recorded disposition (charges dismissed).
New DOJ recorded message states: A letter with record that caused rejected/delayed/denied will be sent, DOJ staff can not discuss R/D/D and R/D/D's should consult with attorney.

Interesting.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-14-2013, 9:19 AM
I guess I missed the deadline for getting a hold of Jason Davis and haven't heard a thing from anywhere. ive been on hold since feb 19 does anyone know what is the best way to go about this

CoreNobody
03-14-2013, 1:10 PM
Over 60 days now.
Picked up handgun 1st of the year ish,bought shotgun the day I picked up handgun........and I'm still waiting....

I might give it 90 days,and that'll be that.I can't have money tied up like this.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-14-2013, 2:35 PM
Over 60 days now.
Picked up handgun 1st of the year ish,bought shotgun the day I picked up handgun........and I'm still waiting....

I might give it 90 days,and that'll be that.I can't have money tied up like this.

That's how I feel if I would have known it would have a chance of this happening I don't think I would of purchased my firearm that is on hold till who knows when. Especially if I knew I'd never find out how to fix it........

turbohatch
03-14-2013, 3:31 PM
Originally Posted by pawpaw

Thats crazy, has anyone recieved a letter or anything from doj? I am on day 38 of delay. i talked to the gun shop yesterday and they said they released a gun finally after 90 days for someone. i think doj is just trying to make it as hard as possible for people, so they just give up.

Grendl
03-14-2013, 3:34 PM
i think doj is just trying to make it as hard as possible for people, so they just give up.

It's called gun control by attrition. Don't give up or give in.

Carlsbad rookie
03-14-2013, 5:15 PM
It is definitely pretty lame that the DOJ updated their voicemail system to say they cant tell you anything and to call a lawyer. After i finally get my release im going to immediately buy another gun so that if I have to wait another 90 days or however long that at least the process is started again. I believe that getting an attorney before getting a resolution letter from the DOJ will do absolutely no good. If they havent made their resolution then theres nothing yet to debate with them. Seems the whole issue for many people is just the initial waiting period to have the delay either released or denied.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-14-2013, 5:29 PM
It is definitely pretty lame that the DOJ updated their voicemail system to say they cant tell you anything and to call a lawyer. After i finally get my release im going to immediately buy another gun so that if I have to wait another 90 days or however long that at least the process is started again. I believe that getting an attorney before getting a resolution letter from the DOJ will do absolutely no good. If they havent made their resolution then theres nothing yet to debate with them. Seems the whole issue for many people is just the initial waiting period to have the delay either released or denied.

Wow they did up date the delay number! So has anyone got this letter they're tell us they will or have sent out?

lakersandguns
03-15-2013, 7:49 AM
Received emai from Jason yesterday. Not much to go by, just what every one is been saying. Wait

darkhorse714
03-15-2013, 9:13 AM
Updating my post from 2/20.

A quick summary of my post on 2/20. I was delayed on sept 2012 due to a NO DISPOSITION arrest. I was told by the DOJ to get my arrest sealed and destroyed. I hired a lawyer and was granted my request by the court on 3/1/13. I was able to speak to a DOJ agent on 3/7 he told me it would still take at least 90 days for them to update their records. Does anybody know if there is a way I can expedite the transfer of my records? I'm planning on taking Monday off and going to the court clerk to try to get them to fax my the paperwork over.

stonefly-2
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM

A quick summary of my post on 2/20. I was delayed on sept 2012 due to a NO DISPOSITION arrest. I was told by the DOJ to get my arrest sealed and destroyed. I hired a lawyer and was granted my request by the court on 3/1/13. I was able to speak to a DOJ agent on 3/7 he told me it would still take at least 90 days for them to update their records. Does anybody know if there is a way I can expedite the transfer of my records? I'm planning on taking Monday off and going to the court clerk to try to get them to fax my the paperwork over.

no but it seems you can be drawn into spending a lot of money & take time off work to prove your status and still be infringed.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-15-2013, 11:21 AM

^ So do u think is worth it to get a lawyer? I'm considering it I'm reaching a breaking point not happy at all with this I spent a lot of $ on this FA and so far not worth the hassle.

darkhorse714
03-15-2013, 2:41 PM
^ So do u think is worth it to get a lawyer? I'm considering it I'm reaching a breaking point not happy at all with this I spent a lot of $ on this FA and so far not worth the hassle.

At this point I can't really say.

I plan to buy another gun when I get called to pick up my Colt. If I get it in the 10 days then I know that it was worth it.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-15-2013, 3:40 PM
At this point I can't really say.

I plan to buy another gun when I get called to pick up my Colt. If I get it in the 10 days then I know that it was worth it.

keep us up to date on it. Cuz this whole issue is Beyond BS!

repub1mom
03-15-2013, 7:44 PM
Sorry for confusion. NO straw purchase, just a boyfriend who isn't into the internet. So, I've been doing the online research HERE for him, and I don't believe I've ever misrepresented that.

He was the only purchaser, for himself and the only person to call DOJ.

No offense taken, and I hope I didn't break any rules, or send out misinformation.

My boyfriend purchased a 30.06, and was delayed after successful prior purchases. He just picked it up today. As previously stated, we are both legal gun owners.

Thanks for the heads up, don't want to make things worse. Just trying to stay in the loop.

Confused. Just who is buying this firearm?

That's who should be dealing with DOJ.

No offense intended.

You're sending out straw purchase signals.

repub1mom
03-15-2013, 8:17 PM
Got thru to the CA DOJ and chatted with a very pleasant gentleman with the BOF who informed me that if you get a delay letter it simply means they are completely backed up and that it is not a denial. I asked for a guesstimate on how long the delay would be and he replied that they "hope" to be caught up by the middle of January. Since that is really close to being 30 days on my dros I asked him if I would have have to resubmit my dros if the delay lasted longer than January 15th and his reply was that right now the 30 day clock is stopped on all "delayed" dros applications, so no I will not be required to resubmit the dros even if it goes into February.

Not sure what all that really means, but I thought I'd pass along the info I that CA DOJ is telling folks.

Hope this helps.

So, does this mean people legally purchasing a longarm, thru a dealer, and after being delayed more than 30 days, should NOT be charged AGAIN the DROS fee?
Just clarifying, because (NO straw purchase, just a boyfriend who doesn't like typing or the internet, and I do NOT want to mislead anyone, so I'm using MY OWN username/info) my boyfriend picked up the gun today and reported to me that he was surprised had to pay the DROS fee again.

Seems unfair, since none of this was his fault. Anyone else experience this? Sorry, haven't had time to read every last entry, so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. :o

If someone feels I'm breaking rules, please pm me and I'll figure it out. Just trying to be legal and informed.:confused:

Oh, it was almost 6 weeks (quite a bit past the 10 days/or 30 days deal) before he was able to 'get approved' and was able to pick it up. Personally, since it wasn't a denial, just a delay (probably their (DOJ's) being overwhelmed, I don't think it's right, fair or legal that anyone should have to pay to be DROS'd again. Am I wrong?

Gone for the weekend, will check back next week. Thanks, as always for all the hard work that CalGunners does.

gigglemonkee
03-15-2013, 8:51 PM
So, does this mean people legally purchasing a longarm, thru a dealer, and after being delayed more than 30 days, should NOT be charged AGAIN the DROS fee?
Just clarifying, because (NO straw purchase, just a boyfriend who doesn't like typing or the internet, and I do NOT want to mislead anyone, so I'm using MY OWN username/info) my boyfriend picked up the gun today and reported to me that he was surprised had to pay the DROS fee again.

Seems unfair, since none of this was his fault. Anyone else experience this? Sorry, haven't had time to read every last entry, so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. :o

If someone feels I'm breaking rules, please pm me and I'll figure it out. Just trying to be legal and informed.:confused:

Oh, it was almost 6 weeks (quite a bit past the 10 days/or 30 days deal) before he was able to 'get approved' and was able to pick it up. Personally, since it wasn't a denial, just a delay (probably their (DOJ's) being overwhelmed, I don't think it's right, fair or legal that anyone should have to pay to be DROS'd again. Am I wrong?

Gone for the weekend, will check back next week. Thanks, as always for all the hard work that CalGunners does.

When on Delay the DROS is suspended and the 30 days starts the day the Dros Delay is lifted. He should not be charged again.

repub1mom
03-15-2013, 9:11 PM
When on Delay the DROS is suspended and the 30 days starts the day the Dros Delay is lifted. He should not be charged again.

Thank you 'gigglemonkee' for fast response. I told him I'd seen on here that he shouldn't be charged again. He said the gun shop told him it wasn't up to them. And, interestingly, in my opinion, he wasn't given given a copy of his delay letter from DOJ, or the release. I'm thinking it's the gun shop messed up. And with the price of guns/ammo these days, we're both a little irritated at spending an additional $25 to the state, when my boyfriend did nothing wrong.

Anyone know of a way to dispute this/get a refund (I almost laughed at that....a refund from the state of CA???LMAO).

Appreciate ya'all understanding my feeding you my boyfriend's situation.

DarthSean
03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I was charged with a 240/242 (assault and battery) in 1994 but was not arrested due to age and it did not go to trial. Has anything liked that been known to cause headaches with the DROS system? Does anyone happen to know?

Edit: I should add I've cleared the system before, but that was before the Election rush and the DOJ deliberately being difficult.

RED (Y)
03-18-2013, 9:48 AM
So anyone got any letters from DOJ with info ?

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
No haven't Recieved one yet.

Pinoy11B
03-18-2013, 1:09 PM
No, haven't received one either. But D&D took off their # and fax # off their site and just put announcement. I am 24 days and counting on top of the 10 days on delay. :banghead:

gruntbull
03-18-2013, 1:28 PM
Just spoke to Bob from the DOJ... he claimed he couldn't check my file and that it was most likely delayed due to backlog... I like the fact that he gave his opinion to me vice fact... Why do we pay taxes/fees again? One more reason to jump ship and move to a different state.

RED (Y)
03-18-2013, 2:27 PM
I am 24 days and counting on top of the 10 days on delay.
I've been waiting for 66 days now,and i still don't even know the reason why.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-18-2013, 2:38 PM
30+ Days for me and No hope in sight. Not sure what if anything I can do!

BrandoGriff
03-18-2013, 3:56 PM
My DROS was submitted Dec 10 2012. A hold was placed 4 days later. I was told (40 days in)it was because of a traffic arrest in 2002. The fines where paid ect. and the case is closed. A Traffic ticket I can find on the Sacramento court website. It has every correspondence between the court and myself What date the fines where paid. (Hell there is even a scan of the original ticket in there. But they tell me they cant find a record of the status. So here I am waiting. With the rest.

stonefly-2
03-18-2013, 4:26 PM
i only paid $200.00 for the little 17 hmr in november. can i sue doj in small claims court? anti gun butt sucking under color of authority, dereliction of duty, show good cause why? you would think we were legally entitled to some reason that we are deprived of our property at least. do they think we don't compare the varied b.s. stories they give us. say what else doe's the dept. of justice do? nothing important i hope.

1919_4_ME
03-18-2013, 5:17 PM
Guys call this place:
www.criminalhistorycleaners.com

Tell Ron exactly whats going on with getting delayed and and how to get it fixed. He will help you with getting your problem solved so you don't get delayed anymore.:oji:

Dustyzz
03-18-2013, 7:28 PM
Day 84 of my delay, and still no info whatsoever from DOJ.

stonefly-2
03-18-2013, 7:48 PM
Guys call this place:

Tell Ron exactly whats going on with getting delayed and and how to get it fixed. He will help you with getting your problem solved so you don't get delayed anymore.:oji:

haven't you read all these posts? it's already been established that sealing your record doesn't work. besides i don't care to "pay" to avail myself of my constitutional rights.

Pinoy11B
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
I know guys all these waiting really sucks specially anything over 30 days of wait like some of the guys here that are over 2 months. Let's hang in there and not give up. I know for sure when my FA gets release, I am gonna DROS another one when I do the pick up. :patriot:

Ocguy31
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
It looks like the DOJ updated their Firearm website to address this horrific 2A denial of rights.....but at least they are acknowledging it. However they are basically saying don't call them anymore.

"DELAYED – A DROS application can be delayed for many reasons. Most often it is because the background check found a record matching your personal descriptors (such as your name, date of birth, etc.) and more time is needed to verify that the record is yours and to obtain missing information needed to determine your eligibility to own or possess firearms.

Please be patient and allow the Department enough time to gather additional information and resolve any issues. Many county courthouses are operating on shortened work weeks and with fewer staff, delaying the approval or denial of applications. If the record is an out-of-state or military record, you should anticipate a longer response time from our office to get the needed information.

If you know you have a criminal or mental health record on file with DOJ, you can obtain a copy of your record by completing the Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA/BOF 8016) format: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms. You should review the record, identify any incomplete or missing court information, and then follow up with the court where your case was held and request the court submit corrected information to the DOJ's Bureau of Criminal Information and Analysis (BCIA). If you disagree with any information in your record, you should follow the instructions in the letter for disputing inaccuracies. You may wish to obtain an attorney for legal advice and who can best represent your interests on how to restore your rights to buy firearms."

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Here is the problem....while many can afford the time and fees to prove that they are not in a prohibited category, others cannot. Instead of raiding the DROS coffers for other purposes, why not hire more staff to accommodate our 2A RIGHT? This is not a privilege, such as a Driver's License. This is a RIGHT. Today (3/19) is day 10.....we shall see.

The burden of proof is on the STATE, not the citizen. Arrests with no charges filed or charges dropped should be destroyed. Delaying for an arrest with no charges that is not even a prohibiting offense in the first place, or even if it is would no longer count, is criminal.

I wonder how many MS-13 members in LA who have multiple ColumSandyBine-esque notches on their bed-post are being effected by this new tactic?

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-19-2013, 6:09 AM
Guys call this place:

So if I contact them they will be able to get my FA released???

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-19-2013, 6:15 AM
It looks like the DOJ updated their Firearm website to address this horrific 2A denial of rights.....but at least they are acknowledging it. However they are basically saying don't call them anymore.

"DELAYED A DROS application can be delayed for many reasons. Most often it is because the background check found a record matching your personal descriptors (such as your name, date of birth, etc.) and more time is needed to verify that the record is yours and to obtain missing information needed to determine your eligibility to own or possess firearms.

Please be patient and allow the Department enough time to gather additional information and resolve any issues. Many county courthouses are operating on shortened work weeks and with fewer staff, delaying the approval or denial of applications. If the record is an out-of-state or military record, you should anticipate a longer response time from our office to get the needed information.

If you know you have a criminal or mental health record on file with DOJ, you can obtain a copy of your record by completing the Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA/BOF 8016) format: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/forms. You should review the record, identify any incomplete or missing court information, and then follow up with the court where your case was held and request the court submit corrected information to the DOJ's Bureau of Criminal Information and Analysis (BCIA). If you disagree with any information in your record, you should follow the instructions in the letter for disputing inaccuracies. You may wish to obtain an attorney for legal advice and who can best represent your interests on how to restore your rights to buy firearms."

Here is the problem....while many can afford the time and fees to prove that they are not in a prohibited category, others cannot. Instead of raiding the DROS coffers for other purposes, why not hire more staff to accommodate our 2A RIGHT? This is not a privilege, such as a Driver's License. This is a RIGHT. Today (3/19) is day 10.....we shall see.

The burden of proof is on the STATE, not the citizen. Arrests with no charges filed or charges dropped should be destroyed. Delaying for an arrest with no charges that is not even a prohibiting offense in the first place, or even if it is would no longer count, is criminal.

I wonder how many MS-13 members in LA who have multiple ColumSandyBine-esque notches on their bed-post are being effected by this new tactic?

Ya pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Someone help!

stonefly-2
03-19-2013, 8:11 AM
i am curious about something that doesn't really apply to my situation. you hear on the news about persons with medical marijuana cards trying to use their cards as I.D. to purchase a firearm. my impression was that they weren't stoned or stupid but that they were trying to draw a court case over their 2a rights.
so....doe's a person holding a mm card or for that matter regularly "use" forfeit their constitutional right to keep and bear arms? i certainly don't want to feed anyone to the crockodile hoping he will eat me last but it strikes me that cross referencing a list of card holders against drosed guns would easily generate a list of addresses to squander the funds that were usurped from our dros fees. wondering why if not

JDay
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
So if I contact them they will be able to get my FA released???

Just fill out this form and take it to a place that does live scan. About a week later you'll receive a letter in the mail with your record and a form to use to dispute it. Much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF8016FRR1108.pdf?

JoeyJ
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM

"DELAYED – A DROS application can be delayed for many reasons. Most often it is because the background check found a record matching your personal descriptors (such as your name, date of birth, etc.) and more time is needed to verify that the record is yours and to obtain missing information needed to determine your eligibility to own or possess firearms.

A bit of a double edge sword BUT, part of the problem is that the DOJ doesn't keep your previous "cleared" status on previous purchases and/or clearances. IF their system held a "previously cleared" status and the date, a background check would only be needed from that date forward. Instead they start from scratch EVERY TIME you make a purchase. Add to that they had a change in Feb of last year that ALL arrest had to be looked at. Now imagine they pass the universal background check and use the same system. And guess who will pay??? Both in time, additional taxes and fees to pay for the additional bureaucracy.
Delayed 11+ weeks on one purchase and 3 weeks on a second. Last previous purchase July 2012 with no delay.
I have been contacted by Jason via email. I for one am not giving in, no matter how long it takes. I served my Country and expect no less service from my Country!

JDay
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
A bit of a double edge sword BUT, part of the problem is that the DOJ doesn't keep your previous "cleared" status on previous purchases and/or clearances. IF their system held a "previously cleared" status and the date, a background check would only be needed from that date forward. Instead they start from scratch EVERY TIME you make a purchase. Add to that they had a change in Feb of last year that ALL arrest had to be looked at.

From what I understand they do update their records so that they do not have to do leg work to find out the result of an arrest in the future.

JoeyJ
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Just fill out this form and take it to a place that does live scan. About a week later you'll receive a letter in the mail with your record and a form to use to dispute it. Much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF8016FRR1108.pdf?

Is this a national records scan or just CA?
Thanks!

JDay
03-19-2013, 1:02 PM
Is this a national records scan or just CA?
Thanks!

They run a NICS and a CA records check, so it is national.

JoeyJ
03-19-2013, 1:03 PM
From what I understand they do update their records so that they do not have to do leg work to find out the result of an arrest in the future. You should also edit your post and remove the bit at the end since I am positive that you were instructed to not share any of that information.

One of the 2 times that I actually got to speak to anyone I was told that they are not allowed to keep any background check records and that they start from scratch. If that's incorrect then I was misinformed by the DOJ. Not like that never happens, lol.
BTW I was not instructed but edited anyway. I mentioned nothing more than had been posted by the moderator in the original DROS string that this spawned from.

JoeyJ
03-19-2013, 1:08 PM

Thanks!

Tba
03-19-2013, 1:11 PM
Day 89 for me! Still nothing.

Sure they are violating my rights, but what can I do about it.

You can't call, if you write, it goes to the bottom of the same pile as everything else.

JDay
03-19-2013, 1:20 PM
One of the 2 times that I actually got to speak to anyone I was told that they are not allowed to keep any background check records and that they start from scratch. If that's incorrect then I was misinformed by the DOJ. Not like that never happens, lol.
BTW I was not instructed but edited anyway. I mentioned nothing more than had been posted by the moderator in the original DROS string that this spawned from.

They've been using DROS checks as a way to update the DOJ's digital criminal records system. That's not the same as keeping a record of a background check.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-19-2013, 2:47 PM
the problem is I know what the reason is they are holding mine and I have all the court paperwork to fix the issue
But have no clue how to resolve it with them, don't know how to find out who's handling my case and impossible to find out.

An its not the Doj is being overworked its they're being incompetent.

Trying to keep our FA as long as possible or till they are able to pass a gun ban bill.

JDay
03-19-2013, 2:56 PM
the problem is I know what the reason is they are holding mine and I have all the court paperwork to fix the issue But have no clue how to resolve it with them, don't know how to find out who's handling my case and impossible to find out. An its not the Doj is being overworked its they're being incompetent. Trying to keep our FA as long as possible or till they are able to pass a gun ban bill.

Use the form linked above and get a live scan. About a week later you'll receive results and a form to dispute them. Use that form and send notarized copies of the paperwork you have in with it via certified mail. In fact you should have the notary mail it.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-19-2013, 3:50 PM
Use the form linked above and get a live scan. About a week later you'll receive results and a form to dispute them. Use that form and send notarized copies of the paperwork you have in with it via certified mail. In fact you should have the notary mail it.

Thanks! They do live scan at my work so I dispute them than get them notarized and send them where? To the Doj?

anthem
03-19-2013, 7:39 PM
I am almost at 3 months in my delay. But I did receive a call from DOJ telling me why. I was arrested in 1984. The stated reason on the DOJ criminal background transcript stated it was for attempted theft, but there is no disposition of the case listed on the DOJ transcript. As the charge is considered a wobbler, it needs a disposition for DOJ to clear it.

It was a stupid thing and I was never charged. I was a dumb kid putting myself in harms way. Funny story at 18 but embarrassing at 47.

The weird thing is that after having gone to the court and seeing the clerk, I am not in the court system. My name or arrest doesn't even come up. No case, no conviction, no name, no history. The clerk did a search and I have a "No Case Filed" court certificate that my DOJ contact said was not good enough.

I'm going to send off the search document to the record review department and see if that clears it up. I'm not sure if it will, and barring that, I'm uncertain what my options are as I can't get a record expunged or cleared if a record doesn't exist.

Has anyone come across a scenario where you show up with a record on the DOJ background, but there is no record in the court's system? I think the court purged it years ago, but yet it remains on the DOJ record.

I'm going to try and call the record review division as the other person here did and see if that gives any results.

I feel like I am trying to prove an imaginary negative.

cr1ms0njyhad
03-19-2013, 8:14 PM
I am almost at 3 months in my delay. But I did receive a call from DOJ telling me why. I was arrested in 1984. The stated reason on the DOJ criminal background transcript stated it was for attempted theft, but there is no disposition of the case listed on the DOJ transcript. As the charge is considered a wobbler, it needs a disposition for DOJ to clear it.

It was a stupid thing and I was never charged.

Silly question if you don't mind answering: What kind of theft specifically? I ask because the only theft related wobblers I know of are non-violent grand theft, other thefts with a prior, and only semi-related: joyriding with an auto theft prior.

I ask because my best friend and range buddy mauled a vending machine in college :facepalm: but the court dropped the case after he agreed to pay to have the machine fixed and restocked.. Pretty sure it was a theft charge and not a vandalism. Wondering if I should tell him to go get a livescan just to be safe before DROS'ing an AR to go 3-gun shooting with me.

SkyHawk
03-19-2013, 8:16 PM

You may also want to get your FBI RAP sheet to be sure, if you have any out of state issues. Get your FBI rap sheet here - you will need to get INK ROLLED fingerprints: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/cgbrochure It took about 3 weeks for my FBI rap sheet to be returned to me after mailing the fingerprint card and application. There were things on there that did not appear on my CA DOJ report, and those are the things (one thing) that has me in delay status with the CA DOJ now - because there was no final disposition on the FBI RAP sheet.

anthem
03-19-2013, 8:30 PM
Silly question if you don't mind answering: What kind of theft specifically? I ask because the only theft related wobblers I know of are non-violent grand theft, other thefts with a prior, and only semi-related: joyriding with an auto theft prior.

I ask because my best friend and range buddy mauled a vending machine in college :facepalm: but the court dropped the case after he agreed to pay to have the machine fixed and restocked.. Pretty sure it was a theft charge and not a vandalism. Wondering if I should tell him to go get a livescan just to be safe before DROS'ing an AR to go 3-gun shooting with me.

The listed charge is for 484 (A). Which when I looked it up could be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. I guess it would be up to the DA to determine the suitability of the charges. In my case no charges were ever brought. But the arrest record stands.

I always understood the difference between a felony and misdemeanor was the amount of money or value involved. I could be wrong about that.

Your friend should run his record.

cr1ms0njyhad
03-19-2013, 8:39 PM
The listed charge is for 484 (A). Which when I looked it up could be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. I guess it would be up to the DA to determine the suitability of the charges. In my case no charges were ever brought. But the arrest record stands.

I always understood the difference between a felony and misdemeanor was the amount of money or value involved. I could be wrong about that.

Your friend should run his record.

It is. Traditionally grand theft (felony, but a wobbler) is anything over $400.

That being said, the way this crazy state runs lately, I'm calling his arse in the morning to warn him. Seems like CADOJ is doing anything they can to slow down and outright stop as many purchases as possible.

And thanks for the info!

JDay
03-19-2013, 8:57 PM
Thanks! They do live scan at my work so I dispute them than get them notarized and send them where? To the Doj?

The form you get with your results will have the instructions on it.

It was a stupid thing and I was never charged. I was a dumb kid putting myself in harms way. Funny story at 18 but embarrassing at 47.

The weird thing is that after having gone to the court and seeing the clerk, I am not in the court system. My name or arrest doesn't even come up. No case, no conviction, no name, no history. The clerk did a search and I have a "No Case Filed" court certificate that my DOJ contact said was not good enough.

I'm going to send off the search document to the record review department and see if that clears it up. I'm not sure if it will, and barring that, I'm uncertain what my options are as I can't get a record expunged or cleared if a record doesn't exist.

Has anyone come across a scenario where you show up with a record on the DOJ background, but there is no record in the court's system? I think the court purged it years ago, but yet it remains on the DOJ record.

I'm going to try and call the record review division as the other person here did and see if that gives any results.

Contact Jason Davis, contact information is in the first post.

You may also want to get your FBI RAP sheet to be sure, if you have any out of state issues. Get your FBI rap sheet here - you will need to get INK ROLLED fingerprints: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/cgbrochure It took about 3 weeks for my FBI rap sheet to be returned to me after mailing the fingerprint card and application. There were things on there that did not appear on my CA DOJ report, and those are the things (one thing) that has me in delay status with the CA DOJ now - because there was no final disposition on the FBI RAP sheet.

That's included when you pull your records via Live Scan. I know this for a fact.

RED (Y)
03-19-2013, 9:03 PM
I am almost at 3 months in my delay. But I did receive a call from DOJ telling me why.

Did they called you recently,or right after delay letter?

Jmill1981
03-19-2013, 9:25 PM
I been going through the same exact issue as most of you guys. I purchased a gun in Sacramento at the River City Gun Exchange gun shop on 2/9/2013 and 7 days later got a call from them saying I was delayed and I been delayed ever since then. I only own one gun that I bought back in December of 2011 and that went through just fine with no issues but now I'm delayed because of an arrest that happened in January of 2003. I searched at my local court office and they had nothing because the arrest was over 10 years old. Searched my local police dept and they had nothing also. Finally went to my county Sheriff's department and they had it. I have no Felony's at all. (obviously cause I bought a gun in 2011) DOJ will give me no info but that the reason I'm on delay is because of that arrest and they want to know the disposition of the arrest. The sheriff's office told me that they have the arrest on file but I would have to pay to get a background check though them and get my fingerprints taken so I could get the info I wanted. But I'm scared that if I pay for my fingerprints to get done and get my record back then send the DOJ the info they need they will still hold me on delay until they get to my file or case i guess. Has there been anyone who has actually been cleared from their firearm delay from the DOJ? If you ask me this whole DELAY of guns is complete BULL. Here is a number that I use to get through to the DOJ's office. Most of the time I get someone to pick up. This should help you guys------>916-227-1375

anthem
03-19-2013, 9:42 PM
Contact Jason Davis, contact information is in the first post.

Sent an email no response.

Seems like CADOJ is doing anything they can to slow down and outright stop as many purchases as possible.

I personally don't believe this. I'm caught up in a screwed up situation, but I have received calls back from the DOJ, and I have no reason to suspect any type of plot. Based on my research, for my situation, DOJ can't clear this because of the lack of information. I'll get it resolved, as I feel that the DOJ person is mistaken about not accepting the letter from the court.

Did they called you recently,or right after delay letter?

They called me in February to inform me that I needed to go the extra step as they couldn't get the disposition information. I was notified of a delay around January 6th or so. I don't remember the exact date.

I never received a letter, only the call from the dealer.

anthem
03-19-2013, 9:50 PM
But I'm scared that if I pay for my fingerprints to get done and get my record back then send the DOJ the info they need they will still hold me on delay until they get to my file or case i guess.

They aren't going to do the work for you. They won't do anything until you provide the information. Not sure what you are scared of, as you won't get off delay until you get it cleared up.

JDay
03-19-2013, 9:54 PM
They aren't going to do the work for you. They won't do anything until you provide the information. Not sure what you are scared of, as you won't get off delay until you get it cleared up.

My delay got released and I didn't provide anything. I did get a live scan done though just to see what was on it. Strangely enough I got my release 2 weeks later.

anthem
03-20-2013, 4:51 AM
My delay got released and I didn't provide anything. I did get a live scan done though just to see what was on it. Strangely enough I got my release 2 weeks later.

My comments were only to those that may have something on their record that does not show a disposition such as mine and jmill's. I do believe that there were a few delays as a result of the large volume of gun sales that created a backlog.

JDay
03-20-2013, 6:13 AM
My comments were only to those that may have something on their record that does not show a disposition such as mine and jmill's.

Mine did too.

anthem
03-20-2013, 7:45 AM
Most of the time I get someone to pick up. This should help you guys------>916-227-1375

Thank you for listing this number. You saved me some time. They picked up immediately and gave me a fax number to send my documents. I think that should take care of my issue. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-20-2013, 9:02 AM
Thank you for listing this number. You saved me some time. They picked up immediately and gave me a fax number to send my documents. I think that should take care of my issue. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

What was the FAX #? what did they instruct you to do?

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-20-2013, 9:17 AM
I just got off the phone with that 1375 Doj #. I gave my SSN # and they asked when I got livescaned I said for job they asked what I did for my job and than they said they couldn't find anything on my FA!? Then they gave me the # that no one picks up. WTF!!!

anthem
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
What was the FAX #? what did they instruct you to do?

916-227-3700

I sent over the certified court search that showed I have never had a case filed against me.

anthem
03-20-2013, 4:18 PM
Bass Pro called me at 4:00 this afternoon and told me I'm cleared to pick up my rifle.

Woot.

Jmill1981
03-20-2013, 5:46 PM
Hey man I'm glad you got your gun lol that is VERY good news. Now please tell me what in the HELL did you have to do to get it released? Because When I get paid I am gonna go back to the county Sheriff's office and pay for my fingerprints so I can get the info I need to show them that the arrest they are holding me for is not a FELONY. They arrested me because I didn't follow through with the court on a misdemeanor case I had so they arrested me in court. This was 10 YEARS AGO. But my case is dismissed. Let me know what you did please.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-20-2013, 7:55 PM
Bass Pro called me at 4:00 this afternoon and told me I'm cleared to pick up my rifle.

Woot.

Wow that was fast Props on actually getting Ur FA. So I am curious when U faxed Ur paper work to that FAX # did U know who U where sending to like the person handling Ur case or did they just tell u to send it there and someone will put 2 and 2 together?

anthem
03-20-2013, 8:14 PM
Hey man I'm glad you got your gun lol that is VERY good news. Now please tell me what in the HELL did you have to do to get it released? Because When I get paid I am gonna go back to the county Sheriff's office and pay for my fingerprints so I can get the info I need to show them that the arrest they are holding me for is not a FELONY. They arrested me because I didn't follow through with the court on a misdemeanor case I had so they arrested me in court. This was 10 YEARS AGO. But my case is dismissed. Let me know what you did please.

If you haven't done the live scan, you can go ahead and do that to make sure you are on the same page with the DOJ. You may not need it though if you know what is holding you up, as you already know the DOJ info doesn't have the information that you need (meaning disposition). But it might be good to get anyways.

I'm not sure where you live, but in LA the county clerk can search for your name and provide a print out of the results, which will provide information. It cost me 25.00, and was better info than the DOJ as it showed disposition.

In LA, all courts have access to the same information. I'm not sure where you live, but it should be the same for your county. You need a superior court clerk, as all counties merged courts back in the 90's.

That would be my suggestion.

Pinoy11B
03-21-2013, 5:39 AM

Woot.

How long did DOJ called you after you sent your documents? I faxed my documents couple of days ago. Hopefully I hear something soon too.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-21-2013, 6:13 AM
If you haven't done the live scan, you can go ahead and do that to make sure you are on the same page with the DOJ. You may not need it though if you know what is holding you up, as you already know the DOJ info doesn't have the information that you need (meaning disposition). But it might be good to get anyways.

I'm not sure where you live, but in LA the county clerk can search for your name and provide a print out of the results, which will provide information. It cost me 25.00, and was better info than the DOJ as it showed disposition.

In LA, all courts have access to the same information. I'm not sure where you live, but it should be the same for your county. You need a superior court clerk, as all counties merged courts back in the 90's.

That would be my suggestion.

I'm in Ventura county I know why they are holding my FA Its a 2010 case that I got dismissed last year I have all the paper work from the courts confirming the dismissal but have been blindly sending it to a different FAX #. Hopefully this new FAX # has someone who can actually help

lakersandguns
03-21-2013, 6:54 AM
I'm in Ventura county I know why they are holding my FA Its a 2010 case that I got dismissed last year I have all the paper work from the courts confirming the dismissal but have been blindly sending it to a different FAX #. Hopefully this new FAX # has someone who can actually help

Where you get the live scan at? I'm also in Ventura county

anthem
03-21-2013, 8:33 AM
How long did DOJ called you after you sent your documents? I faxed my documents couple of days ago. Hopefully I hear something soon too.

I faxed the paperwork in the morning and they called around 4 PM the same day.

anthem
03-21-2013, 8:34 AM

Call the telephone number Jmill listed above. I faxed my documents to "Mitch" He seemed like a good guy and was willing to help.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-21-2013, 9:00 AM

I HAD TO DO IT FOR THE PLACE I WORK AT.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-21-2013, 9:08 AM
Call the telephone number Jmill listed above. I faxed my documents to "Mitch" He seemed like a good guy and was willing to help.

I can never get through calling I got through yesterday for the first time and the lady I talked to was unwilling to help

SDrangeRat
03-21-2013, 9:21 AM
I had an out of state arrest 11 years ago. I didn't have any delays at all. I even waited 10 days extra just in case. Maybe the backlog is easing? No idea.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
I had an out of state arrest 11 years ago. I didn't have any delays at all. I even waited 10 days extra just in case. Maybe the backlog is easing? No idea.

lucky

JDay
03-21-2013, 3:10 PM

DOJ maintains a list of live scan sites on their website.

lakersandguns
03-21-2013, 4:33 PM
Ok I might not have done it right. I went over to a place in ventura that does live scans. All the person told me that DOJ will receive electronically and just gave me a copy of the form i filled out. Was I supposed to get something else back. Like a copy of my record. Then I also went and faxed a copy of the court papers to the fax number in this thread. Didnt really put down attn: so and so.

anthem
03-21-2013, 6:28 PM
Wow that was fast Props on actually getting Ur FA. So I am curious when U faxed Ur paper work to that FAX # did U know who U where sending to like the person handling Ur case or did they just tell u to send it there and someone will put 2 and 2 together?

I missed this post, my apologies. I called into the review unit first, and spoke to someone. He provided his name and fax number. I then drafted a short fax cover letter with a summary review and included my contact information. I also included the name and telephone number of the person who was handling my review to save them the time looking for the information.

I even picked up my evil black rifle today.

anthem
03-21-2013, 6:31 PM
Ok I might not have done it right. I went over to a place in ventura that does live scans. All the person told me that DOJ will receive electronically and just gave me a copy of the form i filled out. Was I supposed to get something else back. Like a copy of my record. Then I also went and faxed a copy of the court papers to the fax number in this thread. Didnt really put down attn: so and so.

It will take some time before you receive your hard copy print out of your DOJ transcript. The whole purpose of live scan is so the prints can be sent electronically.

crespoh69
03-21-2013, 6:58 PM
Hello everyone, so I was prohibited from getting my long rifle this past Sunday and finally got my letter in the mail today stating why. The reason they gave is that I am an illegal alien but have a workers permit/authorization as well as a CA hunting license. As I understand it, this should be sufficient correct? Would I just fax over my documentation over to them to the above fax number as well as a bank statement for the last couple of months?

I would do the live scan but I don't believe that would help, unless someone could correct me?

anthem
03-21-2013, 7:12 PM
Hello everyone, so I was prohibited from getting my long rifle this past Sunday and finally got my letter in the mail today stating why. The reason they gave is that I am an illegal alien but have a workers permit/authorization as well as a CA hunting license. As I understand it, this should be sufficient correct? Would I just fax over my documentation over to them to the above fax number as well as a bank statement for the last couple of months?

I would do the live scan but I don't believe that would help, unless someone could correct me?

So how did you get your Savage 64 FXP from Big 5 that you wanted to return?

crespoh69
03-21-2013, 7:14 PM
So how did you get your Savage 64 FXP from Big 5 that you wanted to return?

Exactly what I'd like to know lol I did return it unfortunately and now am wishing I hadn't

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-22-2013, 6:13 AM
I missed this post, my apologies. I called into the review unit first, and spoke to someone. He provided his name and fax number. I then drafted a short fax cover letter with a summary review and included my contact information. I also included the name and telephone number of the person who was handling my review to save them the time looking for the information.

Review Unit? Is this the same # jmill posted?

RED (Y)
03-22-2013, 6:23 AM

Do you have green card or some kind of status?Or you just alien with work permit?

Jmill1981
03-22-2013, 7:36 AM

Hey can you please provide us with the review unit phone number?

crespoh69
03-22-2013, 8:14 AM
Do you have green card or some kind of status?Or you just alien with work permit?

No green card until hopefully a couple of months (petitioned by my wife). I do have a passport though showing legal entry from a few years back. Only thing I did different than last time that I can think of is that I TOLD the big 5 clerk that I had a hunting permit. Aside from that I just filled out the form as I did this time around too.

RED (Y)
03-22-2013, 8:32 AM
Well as far as i remember if you're not a GC holder you can't buy a gun? You need to be a resident.

crespoh69
03-22-2013, 9:42 AM
Been a resident for the last ~25 years or so.

anthem
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Hey can you please provide us with the review unit phone number?

I actually got the number from you...lol.

916-227-1375

I think you should have had your live scan completed and your copy in hand, before you call.

JDay
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM

If you're here illegally you're a criminal and cannot own firearms.

RED (Y)
03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Been a resident for the last ~25 years or so.

I'm talking about resident status,if you're alien-you can't buy a gun.In your case you just need to wait for green card.:oji:

Jmill1981
03-22-2013, 11:28 AM
I actually got the number from you...lol.

916-227-1375

I think you should have had your live scan completed and your copy in hand, before you call.

Yeah now all of a sudden they don't want to help anyone anymore. They just send you to the answering machine number. I need to get my lives can cause this is pissing me off lol.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah now all of a sudden they don't want to help anyone anymore. They just send you to the answering machine number. I need to get my lives can cause this is pissing me off lol.

I couldn't agree more

cr1ms0njyhad
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
WOOHOO! Was able to get my lower out of jail today, no delay. But since I have a clean record I didn't expect a delay either.

The pleasant surprise, however, is that my vending machine mauling buddy that I was worried about didn't get a delay either! Now for a 2-man weekend build party :D

creekside
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM

I have an idea.

Why not create a "CALGUNS FLOW CHART FOR DOJ DENIALS" . . . if you are denied, this is what you should do, in what order, depending on your situation.

Obviously wait for the "right people" to say it's a good idea, because I can see strategic reasons either way. On the one hand, streamlining the process makes life easier on CA-DOJ and the law abiding firearms owner. "Get this form, fax to Joe at 916-XXX-XXXX, smile."

On the other hand, if DOJ is being deliberately obfuscatory and negligent, the process may need to be high drag, low speed instead . . . "call weekly the following numbers, then your Legislator, then send in a notarized copy of XXX with a copy to . . ."

Maybe Calguns needs a new motto, instead of "suing every mofo in the room," we can either "help government out, or help government OUT."

I have attached a poor draft that should be used by no one ever, based on the "What you should do If Your DROS Application is Delayed, Rejected, or Denied" from the facing page of the DOJ Web site. I do NOT recommend following or relying on this chart -- it is for example purposes ONLY, as a sample of a real product Calguns may or may not wish to create.

Boosting the signal from Brandon:

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A DROS DENIAL THAT YOU BELIEVE IS IMPROPER (in other words, if you believe you have a right to own a gun and are not a prohibited person yet received a DROS denial anyway):

Please report any and all issues regarding DROS denials at:

http://calgunsfoundation.org/doj and please email our attorney (jason@calgunlawyers.com), Jason Davis, ASAP (jason@calgunlawyers.com) with your DROS delay status and contact info.

JoeyJ
03-22-2013, 2:11 PM
So out of boredom I called 916-227-1375 and someone actually answered and although the lady that answered sounded like she would rather be doing something else she transferred me to the firearms division and stayed on the line until the nice voice mail message came on basically repeating the info on their web page, lol. 81 days and counting

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-22-2013, 2:57 PM
So out of boredom I called 916-227-1375 and someone actually answered and although the lady that answered sounded like she would rather be doing something else she transferred me to the firearms division and stayed on the line until the nice voice mail message came on basically repeating the info on their web page, lol. 81 days and counting

Ya I did the same thing today. She just said she couldn't help me I asked what could I do and she said probably nothing! Can't believe our taxes go to this

tallic68
03-22-2013, 5:37 PM

This is my problem. Just not in delay. I was contacted on jan 31, 2 months after renewing my CCW and 30 days after picking up a saiga from turners. They wanted to know why I was approved for my permit.

I was arrested in 1996 and released. No charges. No disposition. District
attorney knows nothing. Court knows nothing. Sheriff has nothing. Only record is on my live scan that says no disposition. No paperwork or record exists at all on this just a note on my live scan.

If seal and destroy dosen't work, which is what doj wants from me. And disputing the "inaccuracy or incompleteness" of live scan need documentation proving the incompleteness (which we have established dosen't exist) WTF can I do.

No need to say " email Calgunlaw.com or what ever I did. Told me only what I already knew. What I stated above. Called a different FA attorney and got the same story. I'm f$&ked. I feel the same way as you anthem. I can not prove an imaginary negative.

anthem
03-22-2013, 6:21 PM
This is my problem. Just not in delay. I was contacted on jan 31, 2 months after renewing my CCW and 30 days after picking up a saiga from turners. They wanted to know why I was approved for my permit.

I was arrested in 1996 and released. No charges. No disposition. District
attorney knows nothing. Court knows nothing. Sheriff has nothing. Only record is on my live scan that says no disposition. No paperwork or record exists at all on this just a note on my live scan.

If seal and destroy dosen't work, which is what doj wants from me. And disputing the "inaccuracy or incompleteness" of live scan need documentation proving the incompleteness (which we have established dosen't exist) WTF can I do.

No need to say " email Calgunlaw.com or what ever I did. Told me only what I already knew. What I stated above. Called a different FA attorney and got the same story. I'm f$&ked. I feel the same way as you anthem. I can not prove an imaginary negative.

It is frustrating. As I mentioned in some of my follow up posts, I was able to clear it up by having the Clerk at the Superior Court run a search for my name. The search yielded no findings. I then paid the Clerk $25.00 for a certified search result that stated "No case filed". This was sufficient to show the disposition.

Give it a shot.

crespoh69
03-22-2013, 7:10 PM
If you're here illegally you're a criminal and cannot own firearms.

Would a passport showing I came in legally suffice then?

JDay
03-22-2013, 7:55 PM

Not sure, you might need to prove your resident alien status.

crespoh69
03-22-2013, 7:57 PM
I see. I'll see what they tell me, faxed over some paperwork earlier today and was able to get a hold of someone. Also asked them to find out why it was it was approved previously.

anthem
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I see. I'll see what they tell me, faxed over some paperwork earlier today and was able to get a hold of someone. Also asked them to find out why it was it was approved previously.

The law did change. I think I heard it was around 2010 or so. I had no issue in the past purchasing firearms. This time I got hung up on a delay as a result of the change. This is due to some of the tighter restrictions that CA imposed.

You are probably a casualty of the same thing.

RED (Y)
03-23-2013, 7:15 AM
American passport

Ocguy31
03-23-2013, 4:32 PM
Took delivery today of a XD.....no delay.

mrdd
03-23-2013, 4:46 PM
The law did change. I think I heard it was around 2010 or so. I had no issue in the past purchasing firearms. This time I got hung up on a delay as a result of the change. This is due to some of the tighter restrictions that CA imposed.

You are probably a casualty of the same thing.

What law changed? Please cite.

anthem
03-23-2013, 6:24 PM
What law changed? Please cite.

Can't tell you. It may not have been legislatively driven, but CA DOJ will no longer approve a DROS if you have an arrest that the DA could have charged as a felony or misdemeanor, otherwise known as a wobbler, and that arrest does not have a disposition listed on record.

It could be a policy issue as opposed to a legislative change, as I am uncertain of the driver or when the change occurred.

stonefly-2
03-23-2013, 8:55 PM
Can't tell you. It may not have been legislatively driven, but CA DOJ will no longer approve a DROS if you have an arrest that the DA could have charged as a felony or misdemeanor, otherwise known as a wobbler, and that arrest does not have a disposition listed on record.

It could be a policy issue as opposed to a legislative change, as I am uncertain of the driver or when the change occurred.

"something" has changed if it was a law being passed the doj website list of disqualifications would reflect it. also do you have any reason to believe costs & effort you submitted to to prove your innocence sped up the process any? because you seem to be stating so with confidence. i was led to believe delayed status gets reviewed every 90 days. coincidence maybe?

JM33
03-23-2013, 9:26 PM
Greetings to all. I have been following Calguns for a couple of months but have not registered until now. I noticed the recent replies commenting on delays for misdemeanor or felonies without a disposition. I have 2 handguns on delay status spanning a two and a half month period. I have a wobbler conviction that was reduced and then expunged. My first and last conviction of which occurred over 11 years ago in my teens. As a result of the delay on the first handgun I opted to acquire a live scan (RAP Sheet) for my review. My case originally included 3 chargers but two of them were dropped. The problem that I see is that the arresting police department charges are on my rap sheet including the counties sheriff department charges for a total of 6 charges that are virtually identical. Non of them have dispositions with exception of the misdemeanor conviction and expungement. I do not understand why if some of these convictions are not disqualifying do we need to have dispositions on file. Does this mean some offenders may be out there with missing convictions on their record? It does not make sense that a disposition is needed on non prohibited offenses.

JDay
03-24-2013, 9:23 AM

DOJ made a new policy, no law passed. This is known as backdoor legislation and is not legal.

anthem
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
"something" has changed if it was a law being passed the doj website list of disqualifications would reflect it. also do you have any reason to believe costs & effort you submitted to to prove your innocence sped up the process any? because you seem to be stating so with confidence. i was led to believe delayed status gets reviewed every 90 days. coincidence maybe?

I'm not sure what you are implying in your comments, but where have I suggested that I sped up the process? Once I was able to understand what the cause of the delay was I was able to get it cleared up. That is all I was saying as well as sharing how I did it in an effort to help others.

I was always subjected to the DOJ timeline and their schedule.

And yes something has changed, as I have purchased 3 other guns in the past without an issue. And if you read through these posts you will see others have also made purchases in the past without problem, only to now have an issue with something on their record.

stonefly-2
03-24-2013, 1:55 PM
I'm not sure what you are implying in your comments, but where have I suggested that I sped up the process? Once I was able to understand what the cause of the delay was I was able to get it cleared up. That is all I was saying as well as sharing how I did it in an effort to help others.

I was always subjected to the DOJ timeline and their schedule.

And yes something has changed, as I have purchased 3 other guns in the past without an issue. And if you read through these posts you will see others have also made purchases in the past without problem, only to now have an issue with something on their record.

i'm not implying anything. i'm asking you a straight question. did your "clearing up" if you prefer that over "sped up" for a fact hasten the release of your firearm? in other words , did you have communication with doj them saying do this, yeah we got it, do that , ok your'e good to go? did you for a fact break loose the process in any way? did you get the impression from them as i have that my firearm would not be released without jumping through these hoops? please share what you know to "help others". yes i have read through all these post and written several of them and share in common having dros'd other guns and having an arrest with no charges filed. if your intent is to help i appreciate that but do you actually have something to offer?

stonefly-2
03-24-2013, 2:38 PM
by the way for me to submit to what the doj has suggested would require flying from sacramento to san diego, renting a car, drive to the imperial valley,(during the week of course) petition the sheriffs dept. for record of any case on me which the doj has allowed wouldn't even be given to me if they had it which they don't because the records from 1984 have certainly been purged. then petition the court house for same info. the court house has told me by phone they no longer have those records and have without doubt sent the disposition at the time to the doj. i could also they say "just hire a lawyer" down there in my behalf.
as a small businessman this is not going to happen for a $200 hmr 17 rimfire. rather i will contribute towards any suits filed and do my level best to produce the $200 worth of public criticism that the doj as a public service has signed on for. if my dog gets shot i'll report here if able.

stonefly-2
03-24-2013, 2:48 PM
[QUOTE Does this mean some offenders may be out there with missing convictions on their record? It does not make sense that a disposition is needed on non prohibited offenses.[/QUOTE]

it means that we are asked to believe that the doj has squarely in there sights the rarest of incredibly stupid felons who would lie on the dros paperwork, receive a delay notice and still be waiting around 3 months later knowing he was going straight back to prison.

dshissam
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Hello all,

I am new to Calguns and just wanted to say thanks for all of the info on this thread. I have been watching this thread and just joined Calguns. My DROS has been delayed for 17days so far and I just emailed Jason. I have a clean record and I was just delayed on a purchase of a Colt 1911 Government Model. I have called all of the DOJ numbers given in this thread and I spoke to a gentle men who said I was simply delayed and my background check wasnt even performed yet. This was on day 14??? I know people have been waiting way longer than I have, but I just wanted to post to keep everyone in the loop as to what happens with my transfer. Thanks again!

JDay
03-25-2013, 1:26 PM
Stonefly-2, you were told not to give out information that you posted in here.

One78Shovel
03-25-2013, 5:56 PM
I DROS'd up a long gun a week ago tomorrow. Will post if delayed

-178S

gigglemonkee
03-25-2013, 6:12 PM
Since my original delay got cleared up I dros 2 more pistols and both went through without a hitch.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-25-2013, 7:11 PM
Since my original delay got cleared up I dros 2 more pistols and both went through without a hitch.

How long was your original delay?

gigglemonkee
03-25-2013, 7:25 PM
How long was your original delay?

Dros Dec 13
Delay Dec 21
Delay Lifted January 27

I called 2-3 times a day 5 days a week and contacted the Attorney General, Governor's office, and State and Federal Congress offices.

JM33
03-25-2013, 7:30 PM
Dros Dec 13
Delay Dec 21
Delay Lifted January 27

I called 2-3 times a day 5 days a week and contacted the Attorney General, Governor's office, and State and Federal Congress offices.

What were you delayed for if you don't mind me asking?

gigglemonkee
03-25-2013, 8:53 PM
What were you delayed for if you don't mind me asking?

no idea!! Never had an arrest, have an uncommon name, have clearance, all was fine. I'm thinking because I bought so many, like 20 in the last 10 months. I get one every 2-3 weeks.

JoeyJ
03-26-2013, 8:59 AM
I'm a little stunned at the moment but ecstatic to say that I just got a call from my dealer that I finally got cleared on my Dec 31st purchase!!
1 down and one to go! I'm hoping that I can use this cleared purchase to get the other purchase cleared. Any suggestions on the best way to go about that?

mrdd
03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm a little stunned at the moment but ecstatic to say that I just got a call from my dealer that I finally got cleared on my Dec 31st purchase!!
1 down and one to go! I'm hoping that I can use this cleared purchase to get the other purchase cleared. Any suggestions on the best way to go about that?

That's disgusting. Almost 1/4 of a year to perform a successful background check? And some people want the government in charge of health care? Ha! HA HA!!

kemasa
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
That's disgusting. Almost 1/3 of a year to perform a successful background check? And some people want the government in charge of health care? Ha! HA HA!!

What is really disgusting is that one, not both, was cleared, which makes no sense at all, but then again it is the government.

JoeyJ
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
What is really disgusting is that one, not both, was cleared, which makes no sense at all, but then again it is the government.

I just received a call that I can also pick up my second purchase!!
To everyone else, hang in there, we're getting help behind the scenes so don't give up. If you haven't donated to the Calguns Foundation I would highly recommend that you do. They are there for all of us.
Thanks again to Calguns and the Calguns foundation for their great site and support of our freedoms.

I refrained from doing my own rap sheet simply because I had been cleared on a prior purchase in July 2012 so I knew that either I had an issue that slipped through the cracks then or it was something entirely different. It appears obvious that it was something different now but what remains unknown. Whatever the reason I hope that light is being shone on it and it will be corrected.

Carlsbad rookie
03-27-2013, 7:53 AM
63 days and counting

stonefly-2
03-27-2013, 8:10 AM

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
47 dayz on delay

Jmill1981
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Just wanted to inform everyone that the gun shop has finally called me to pick up my gun after almost 2 months. Purchased my gun on 2/9/13. I wish the best for you all and hang in there.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-27-2013, 1:10 PM
Just wanted to inform everyone that the gun shop has finally called me to pick up my gun after almost 2 months. Purchased my gun on 2/9/13. I wish the best for you all and hang in there.

Glad to hear. 2/9 is the same day I purchased mine to have u been contacting them in any way?

JM33
03-27-2013, 1:15 PM
Glad to hear. 2/9 is the same day I purchased mine to have u been contacting them in any way?

What was your delay related to? I have two handguns on delay. Can wait to get mine home.

Jmill1981
03-27-2013, 1:40 PM
What was your delay related to? I have two handguns on delay. Can wait to get mine home.

It was related to a arrest that happened over ten years ago. I was gonna do a live scan but they all of a sudden called me to pick up my gun. I'm gonna go pick it up in the morning.

Jmill1981
03-27-2013, 1:44 PM

All I was doing is the same everyone else is doing. Contacting the doj office only for them to tell me that I had to wait. They won't even talk to you now. All they do is send you to that number where you only get a message.

NexusSix
03-27-2013, 4:33 PM
Been catching up on the thread and these delay issues do not sound promising. I am new to calguns and a first time gun purchaser. Purchased a 92fs M9A1 on March 15th and was very excited until I got the delay notice on March 22nd. I did have an issue as a juvenile but it was here in California, it was adjudicated and the case dismissed, was able to join the military and I have passed the PFEC check just to be safe...Great experience for a first time buyer, cannot wait to move out of state once I am done with college.

It is disturbing how the DOJ seems to be delaying so many, yet they seem unwilling to talk on the phone or give any info. I called the numbers in this thread one person answered and told me that for a delay they do not have to give you a reason and unless there is a denial there will be no letter sent...yet when you reach the message machine it says a letter will be sent to everyone. I am dreading this delay seeing some of you have waiting 3 + months for their delay to go through with no explanation. I have contacted CGF hopefully something will be done about this. Best of luck to everyone.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-27-2013, 4:48 PM
All I was doing is the same everyone else is doing. Contacting the doj office only for them to tell me that I had to wait. They won't even talk to you now. All they do is send you to that number where you only get a message.

oh good maybe the doj is actually doing something! That's exciting if that's what actually happening. Crossing my fingers but Not holding my breath .............

Darklyte27
03-27-2013, 4:54 PM
Neighbor is in the January mark and still nothing..

BrandoGriff
03-27-2013, 5:27 PM
107 Days

Pinoy11B
03-27-2013, 7:22 PM
UPDATE:

I was delayed 33 days plus 10 days total 43 days of wait. Finally received a call from DOJ and had released my FA from DELAY today. Then, went to pick up my FA 3 hours later from notification from DOJ. I did exactly what others did here. Called, emailed, faxed, and wrote a letter to BOF. Hang in there guys. I hope you guys get your FA's real soon.

Thank you guys.

M0RTAL_K0MBAT
03-28-2013, 6:20 AM

I believe its a case that I had dismissed last year.

JM33
03-28-2013, 4:36 PM
UPDATE:

I was delayed 33 days plus 10 days total 43 days of wait. Finally received a call from DOJ and had released my FA from DELAY today. Then, went to pick up my FA 3 hours later from notification from DOJ. I did exactly what others did here. Called, emailed, faxed, and wrote a letter to BOF. Hang in there guys. I hope you guys get your FA's real soon.

Thank you guys.

You mentioned you got a call from the DOJ :confused: What did they say your hold up was for? I wasn't aware they called with updating news. I'm glad to hear people are finally rescuing their FAs from jail. They appear to be moving on these right infringing delays. Perhaps the people who have been waiting longer is due to out of state issues.

stonefly-2
03-28-2013, 8:40 PM
You mentioned you got a call from the DOJ :confused: What did they say your hold up was for? I wasn't aware they called with updating news. I'm glad to hear people are finally rescuing their FAs from jail. They appear to be moving on these right infringing delays. Perhaps the people who have been waiting longer is due to out of state issues.

no out of state issue here issue here.

Tba
03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
108!

I am at 98.............and I think that is way to long.

Not a peep from the DOJ....................call, call, call, pointless

Not a word from the CGF either.

Pinoy11B
03-28-2013, 11:34 PM

DOJ didn't tell me why I was on delay for they wont tell me. But, I already knew what it was. It was my past arrest and disposition that happened over 20+ years ago. I provided them Court documents and a letter of explanation. I guess after their review from the court documents I provided and what DOJ received from Court, then DOJ called me and informed me that my delay is lifted and told me to call shop in the next couple of hours and to let them know that DOJ cleared me and should be in the system. So that's what I did.

Good Luck and hang in there.

JDay
03-29-2013, 8:58 AM
Odd that it was DOJ who told you it was released, my FFL is the one who notified me.

JM33
03-29-2013, 9:52 AM
Odd that it was DOJ who told you it was released, my FFL is the one who notified me.

That's what I am saying. I wasn't aware the DOJ made house calls regarding delay clarifications. Must be a new thing or something.