PDA

View Full Version : Making good use of 200lbs of prepper sugar

problemchild
12-13-2012, 8:40 AM
Microwave peanut brittle, fast, easy, no stove-top stirring, no hassle and really really good. I call it "crack" brittle because you cant eat just one.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/brittle.jpg

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup raw shelled peanuts
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosier salt
2 tsp vanilla
parchment paper
glass bowl

Couple words of caution!

Don't allow the molten "lava" sugar to come in contact with your skin! The lava is hot as hell and will burn the heck out of you. Also when rinsed under cold water to relieve the searing pain the sugar lava will solidify and when you peel it off your skin comes with it.:D

Don't use a plastic spoon to stir the mix as the whole spoon will melt into the molten sugar. You will get melted sugar on your hands as you try to throw it away. :D

OK so bear with me while I type with one hand in bandages. Here's the recipe for the best dang PB you have ever eaten.

Mix corn syrup, salt and sugar in bowl.
Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
Pour in raw peanuts, give it a stir and cook for 6-7+ minutes or until peanuts are cooked (not burned) and mix is golden-dark brown and smells like brittle and looks like melted caramel.

(Caution!!!) Do not try to taste a peanut as the molten sugar will stick to your lips and teeth burning the hell out of your mouth.

Once the peanuts are browned and cooked pour in butter and vanilla, give it a stir and cook for 1 minute, do not burn.

Pull bowl from microwave and mix in baking soda with a metal spoon rapidly stirring to induce air bubbles into foaming sugar mix. Immediately pour mix onto parchment sheet on top of large cookie sheet and spread with oiled spatula to desired thickness. Allow to cool and crack into small pieces. Place pieces in canning jar and screw on lid to keep it from gathering moisture and becoming chewy.

ElvenSoul
12-13-2012, 8:47 AM
Somehow I expected liquor.

xrMike
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Hilarious recipe. Is there anything you didn't burn? :D

It looks really tasty.

Decoligny
12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Microwave peanut brittle, fast, easy, no stove-top stirring, no hassle and really really good. I call it "crack" brittle because you cant eat just one.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/brittle.jpg

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup raw shelled peanuts
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosier salt
2 tsp vanilla
parchment paper
glass bowl

Couple words of caution!

Don't allow the molten "lava" sugar to come in contact with your skin! The lava is hot as hell and will burn the heck out of you. Also when rinsed under cold water to relieve the searing pain the sugar lava will solidify and when you peel it off your skin comes with it.:D

Don't use a plastic spoon to stir the mix as the whole spoon will melt into the molten sugar. You will get melted sugar on your hands as you try to throw it away. :D

OK so bear with me while I type with one hand in bandages. Here's the recipe for the best dang PB you have ever eaten.

Mix corn syrup, salt and sugar in bowl.
Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
Pour in raw peanuts, give it a stir and cook for 4-6 minutes or until peanuts are cooked.

(Caution!!!) Do not try to taste a peanut as the molten sugar will stick to your lips and teeth burning the hell out of your mouth.

Once the peanuts are browned and cooked pour in butter and vanilla, give it a stir and cook for 1 minute.

Pull bowl from microwave and mix in baking soda with a metal spoon rapidly stirring to induce air bubbles into foaming sugar mix. Immediately pour mix onto parchment sheet on top of large cookie sheet and spread with oiled spatula to desired thickness. Allow to cool and crack into small pieces. Place pieces in canning jar and screw on lid to keep it from gathering moisture and becoming chewy.

I take it that for the next few days you will not only be typing one handed, but you also won't be talking on the phone either. :D

KevinB
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Pecans and walnuts work real well also.

FeuerFrei
12-13-2012, 2:21 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about building a still. :kest:

bruss01
12-13-2012, 2:24 PM
Seriously, sounded like a cross-over episode between Doomsday Preppers and Moonshiners.

Although with those two building a secret underground bunker for their still and some of the preppers hoarding booze for barter... maybe it's already been done?

ExAcHog
12-13-2012, 3:59 PM
Trying this asap....

olhunter
12-13-2012, 6:13 PM
Recipes like this always amaze me. I'd guess you got this from somewhere and didn't make it up, but who the hell figures this out?

How many trial/error sessions does it take to get it right and who has the patience for that crap?

1/2 a cup more of this, 1/2 cup less of that, a teaspoon of that (or not), 3 minutes? 4 minutes? Stir fast? Stir slow? Add this now? Later? In the middle? Seems like the possibilities are endless.

Glad someone figured it out though cause I'm getting the goodies together right now. Love PB.

sd_shooter
12-13-2012, 9:18 PM
I also expected alcohol. There's still time since you have almost 200lbs of sugar left and the SHTF event hasn't happened. :D