PDA

View Full Version : Knife Laws

voiceofreason
12-12-2012, 9:18 PM
Are there any websites or organizations that would be the equivalent of "Calknives.com"?

If one can get a LTC for a firearm, why not a LTC for a CONCEALED fixed blade?

If one can be vetted to carry a Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10mm and multiple standard capacity magazines (200gr @ 1275fps) concealed...

why not a fixed blade concealed?

Do carry licenses for that even exist in CA?

otteray
12-12-2012, 9:32 PM
Are you organizing a concealed knife carry march on the state capitol? I'm in!:rolleyes:

Librarian
12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Are there any websites or organizations that would be the equivalent of "Calknives.com"?

If one can get a LTC for a firearm, why not a LTC for a CONCEALED fixed blade?

If one can be vetted to carry a Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10mm and multiple standard capacity magazines (200gr @ 1275fps) concealed...

why not a fixed blade concealed?

Do carry licenses for that even exist in CA?

www.kniferights.org/

No, no carry license for knives - PC covers concealable firearms only.

SacTown
12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
www.kniferights.org/

No, no carry license for knives - PC covers concealable firearms only.

So sad. I can legally conceal carry up to three handguns on me virtually everywhere I go, but I cannot legally conceal carry a fixed blade knife. :facepalm:

Moonshine
12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I actually learned most of what I know about medieval Japanese weaponry from reading California Penal Code LOL!

Anchors
12-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I will add that in some states a LTC is actually a "Concealed Weapons Permit" and covers all sorts of different weapons, so it isn't strange for you to make that argument.

And I totally agree. I love my fixed blades and wish I could carry them not-openly. There are also knives that aren't legal to even carry at all. They pretty much get to sit there and look cool at your house.

Sucks.

Bull's_eye
12-13-2012, 12:00 AM
So sad. I can legally conceal carry up to three handguns on me virtually everywhere I go, but I cannot legally conceal carry a fixed blade knife. :facepalm:

Yup. And if you happen to conceal carry a gun without a permit, its a misdemeanor, do the same with a fixed blade, and its a felony.

anthonyca
12-13-2012, 12:07 AM
The OP's SN is voiceofreason and he is asking about California knife laws. That kind of made me smile. Knife laws here are some of the most unreasonable laws in the country. Without preemtion, they are much worse than California gun laws.

voiceofreason
12-13-2012, 5:54 AM
Any ideas on how we can move to change these laws?

Schrodinger's Cat
12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I've often thought about writing a representative about the possibility of fixing the concealed fixed blade law. Perhaps something as simple as adding the words "...with the intent to commit a crime.." or "...when breaking any other law...". I suspect that it's currently only used as a tack-on charge, and one committing the crime of concealed fixed blade isn't likely to be caught unless they were committing another crime anyway (how else would a cop get to search them and find out).

As it stands anybody walking out of Williams Sonoma with a box of fresh kitchen knives, anybody on their way to a camping trip with a little survival knife in their backpack, etc could be slammed with a felony. It creates a selective enforcement situation where most citizens are breaking the law all the time and cops can basically do whatever they want with us.

randian
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
It creates a selective enforcement situation where most citizens are breaking the law all the time and cops can basically do whatever they want with us.
I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Librarian
12-13-2012, 1:16 PM
I've often thought about writing a representative about the possibility of fixing the concealed fixed blade law. Perhaps something as simple as adding the words "...with the intent to commit a crime.." or "...when breaking any other law...". I suspect that it's currently only used as a tack-on charge, and one committing the crime of concealed fixed blade isn't likely to be caught unless they were committing another crime anyway (how else would a cop get to search them and find out).

As it stands anybody walking out of Williams Sonoma with a box of fresh kitchen knives, anybody on their way to a camping trip with a little survival knife in their backpack, etc could be slammed with a felony. It creates a selective enforcement situation where most citizens are breaking the law all the time and cops can basically do whatever they want with us.

You did read the 'Social Engineering and Enforcement' section of the Knife Laws link (below), right?

Sniper3142
12-13-2012, 1:32 PM
The OP's SN is voiceofreason and he is asking about California knife laws. That kind of made me smile. Knife laws here are some of the most unreasonable laws in the country. Without preemtion, they are much worse than California gun laws.

Knife laws in California are great compared to places like New York City.

In California you can carry almost any folding knife including assisted opening ones.

In comparison, inside NYC, you'd be pushing your luck with even a Leatherman. And you can forget about any assisted opening knives. :(

OIFVet03
12-13-2012, 6:30 PM
I always carry a knife on me. My gerber is always on me unless I am at a formal occasion but even then, I have a knife on me.

MudCamper
12-14-2012, 9:30 AM
Perfectly legal to carry this in California:

(skip ahead to 1:50)
gwimJteCPjI

"Pretty crazy thing to present out of your pocket." I love it!

Although I'd prefer a sword cane ("An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age") but sadly those will never be legal in CA.

therealnickb
12-14-2012, 9:42 AM
Knife laws in California are great compared to places like New York City.

In California you can carry almost any folding knife including assisted opening ones.

In comparison, inside NYC, you'd be pushing your luck with even a Leatherman. And you can forget about any assisted opening knives. :(

Been there done that. No leather man unless you are not going into any building with a security check. Makes being a tourist a PITA.

Volk
12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Until Busse makes a folder, my best knives will only see camping. I used to carry a knife with me, something like Emerson cqc 10 or spiderco military, but lately I just swapped them out for Leatherman, which is a lot more practical and useful in my day to day life. Still I often wish I could carry my small fixed blades knives, they are thinking, light reliable.

sharxbyte
12-14-2012, 5:47 PM
Terrible that we cant carry knives concealed...