PDA

View Full Version : Boot knife carry legality?

Bull's_eye
12-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Not sure if this belongs in this forum, if not please move it.

So I've read the knife laws post:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

And still have a few questions. I have a Smith and Wesson HRT boot knife, and it fits very well inside my boot. I haven't tried it extensively, but walking around at home I hardly feel it on the inside of my boot. I'd like to have it as a backup for hiking/hunting/fishing.

http://by165w.bay165.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=03ad4f59-44d1-11e2-996f-00215ad7ab6a&Aux=4|0|8CFA6F4E94B8180||0|0|0|0||&cid=3505c4f72b9563ae&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxJTUdfMjAxMjEyMTJfMTgxOTEzLmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qc GVn

According to the knife post, fixed blades are always illegal to conceal. If it carried as in the picture, with the pant leg under it, is that still considered concealed? The blade part is hidden, but the handle is exposed. If I take the knife out of the boot, and clip it on the outside of the boot, is that ok?

If it is inside the boot as in the picture, with the pant leg covering it, it is obviously concealed. Is there any sort of concealed carry exception regarding knives for hunters and fishermen while hunting/fishing like there is for handguns?

holyhandgrenade
12-12-2012, 7:40 PM
AFAIK, if any part of the knife is concealed it's considered concealed. I certainly wouldn't risk the legal trouble over it in any case. And I do not believe there are any exceptions to the knife carry laws.

Librarian
12-12-2012, 7:54 PM
AFAIK, if any part of the knife is concealed it's considered concealed. I certainly wouldn't risk the legal trouble over it in any case. And I do not believe there are any exceptions to the knife carry laws.

Well, not if it's the blade in a sheath ...

No reason that sheath has to be anyplace special - Jim March worked on a case that established 'at the waist' was not the only possible place one could open carry a fixed blade - and for camping or whatever that exposed boot-carry is unlikely to draw any attention, following the "in accordance with [the instrument's] ordinary legitimate design" doctrine.

But I'm not aware of any explicit exemptions from the dirk-or-dagger law for hunting or fishing.

Moonshine
12-12-2012, 8:17 PM
I have sometimes carried on a leg drop when riding my motorcycle in more remote areas up north by Oregon because if I carried at the waist my motocycle jacket would cover the handle and make it "concealed". It is also more comfortable to carry on a leg drop while riding.

holyhandgrenade
12-12-2012, 8:32 PM
Well, not if it's the blade in a sheath ...

Thats true I suppose. Never thought of it that way. I was thinking, perhaps incorrectly, the sheath was a part of the knife, meaning one would want the whole apparatus exposed. I was thinking along the lines of having it on your waist and your shirt hanging over the handle while the bottom of the sheath was still exposed, which as I understand it, is a no-go. I assumed the inverse, being on the ankle with the handle exposed and the blade concealed would be a bad idea as well.

Moonshine
12-12-2012, 9:45 PM
If the sheath was OUTSIDE the boot it should be legit. Like I said I do a leg drop when riding my motorcycle in remote areas so I don't see what difference going lower than the thigh on the outside of the boot would make. You could just stitch onto the boot through the sheath.

Bull's_eye
12-12-2012, 10:52 PM
If the sheath was OUTSIDE the boot it should be legit. Like I said I do a leg drop when riding my motorcycle in remote areas so I don't see what difference going lower than the thigh on the outside of the boot would make. You could just stitch onto the boot through the sheath.

That's not a bad idea. I think I'm going to look into stitching maybe a strap or something to the outside of the boot for the sheath to go through, maybe an elastic, so that there's something holding it other than just the clip. If I stitch the sheath to the boot it would be permanent and I'd always have the sheath sitting there.

Moonshine
12-13-2012, 8:14 AM
I would do it like a MOLLE type setup because most modern fixed blade knife sheaths are designed for MOLLE. Just include it on each pair of boots you intend to use the knife with. On a side note its probably safer to have the knife on the outside anyhow.