PDA

View Full Version : Magpul XTM Hand Stop OK on Featureless or Pistol, right?

a1c
12-12-2012, 2:36 PM
I mean, I somewhat understand the debate on the AFG regarding the legality of adding it to a featureless build or an AR pistol.

But that hand stop... Should be OK, right? There is no way one can grab this thing otherwise than wrapping your hand around the handguard...

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG511/46

http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/180_1066_popup.jpg

packnrat
12-12-2012, 3:42 PM
very interesting (insert photo of the little guy in a german uniform poking his head out of a bush).

this is not a hand grip..is it??? :chris:

who here wants to be the first test case? :eek:

a1c
12-12-2012, 4:08 PM
OK, I'm no attorney (I only sleep with one).

With the AFG, we already seem to be split on whether the CA DOJ could find it an assault weapon "feature" or would be prohibited on a pistol.

But it really doesn't look like this would qualify...

I mean, when it comes to muzzle devices, the manufacturer's description is one of the key steps to describe whether or not the device is an evil feature (such as a flash hider) or if it's not (a compensator described as such, with no prongs nor open-ended).

The sheer name of this accessory - "hand stop" - really doesn't seem to suggest anything else. And even someone with small fingers would probably have a hard time grabbing the rear protruding edge between their index finger and thumb.

hornswaggled
12-12-2012, 4:19 PM
I won't even put a magwell grip on my featureless AR due to paranoia.

a1c
12-12-2012, 4:44 PM
Oh man, I'm obviously so looking for validation. And not finding any. :D

Does the CA DOJ respond to written inquiries the way BATFE does?

goober
12-12-2012, 6:11 PM
Oh man, I'm obviously so looking for validation. And not finding any. :D

Does the CA DOJ respond to written inquiries the way BATFE does?

my personal opinion (which don't mean squat) is that it would be fine.

and no, they (DOJ) don't.

DrScorpio
12-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I do not believe a handstop qualifies as a forward pistol grip, but I am also one of those paranoid featureless owners who dont really want to put anything one it that may remotely get us in trouble. I dont have the financial ability to fight it in court even though I know I will win.

Fate
12-13-2012, 1:26 PM
It's legal. It's not a grip and thus not bound by the FPG definition. Links to documents supporting my position are in my sig if you need them.

But it's GTG on a featureless without any of the AFG handwringing.

(and to clarify something in your original post, there is no problem with an AFG on a CA pistol either. It's only featureless that there's a potential issue).