PDA

View Full Version : Carrizo Redu - All are welcome

Abesnake
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Seems as though several people who were not able to attend the Carrizo Plains meet up in December have asked for a January meet up. So, I'm willing to arrange same. It makes no difference to me which weekend we go. The fowl season is over on Jan. 27, a Sunday. Here are the available dates we can choose from: 5-6;12-13;19-20;26-27 of Jan. I have no idea how to set up a pole thread, so if you are coming, then, please PM me and I will post the results periodically up to the date of most choice. Please, simply state your preference for a date in your PM. I will not be answering any questions there. Pretty much they were all asked and answered in the original thread. You can post them here if you want clarification; and someone will answer you. We will be staying at KCL again so figure the only difference will be the January date we pick for this meet up . We need to get a firm date quickly though, so please check your work and sweetie pie schedules (unless she's coming, too).

The available species listed on the DFG site and BLD (bag limit/day) are as follows: American Crow 24; Chukar 6; Tree Squirrel 4; Jack Rabbit NL; Coyote NL; Pigs by tag NL; Snipe 8. If you have a caller, please, bring one. It will make a big difference for us all. If you are a Hipster Hunter you are certainly welcome. I hope there will be a nice mix of seasoned and Freshman hunters who show up. Thank you for your consideration. I hope I haven't missed anything. I expect we will have a great time. :party: :83:

edgerly779
12-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Quail? I'm in when you pick date.

tankarian
12-12-2012, 3:08 PM
Hipster hunters welcomed?
I ain't coming.
:smilielol5:

bigbossman
12-12-2012, 3:40 PM
Hipster hunters welcomed?
I ain't coming.
:smilielol5:

Don't be so quick to judge..... in my experience, they make great bird-dogs. :D

tankarian
12-12-2012, 3:50 PM
So they sniff their butts and lick their balls?

Solus
12-12-2012, 5:05 PM
lol you should put this up as a poll... not the hipster licking themselves part the date part lol

Grizzled Bastard
12-12-2012, 6:14 PM
So they sniff their butts and lick their balls?

You know you'd do that if you could reach. I sure would! ;)

I'll watch this thread for date. I may show up for a day to meet some folks. I live up here, about an hour's drive actually but it's sorta my backyard.

Abesnake
12-13-2012, 8:16 AM
So far 3 for 5-6 of Jan.; one for 26-27 Jan.

edgerly779
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm in for 5,6 jan. My birthday I want to celebrate by shooting something.

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2012, 5:59 AM
I'm in IF I can make it. I don't want to sway the dates one way or the other so, I'll just sit back and see if I can make whatever dates you guys pick.

Abesnake
12-17-2012, 6:34 PM
So far we have 3 and maybe CSA for the 5/6 and one for 12/13; and one for 26/27. I think there may be more deciding after New Years so we'll count up to the Wed. or Thurs. before the 5/6 of Jan. if that seems to be the date. Otherwise, if it's not that first weekend we'll leave it open. I'm not adding myself in, because I can go whatever weekend we decide.

Sleighter
12-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Tagged

edgerly779
01-01-2013, 3:13 AM
Let me know when. I have to bring my quad back from parkfield so it is in between here and there.

Abesnake
01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Carrizo Plains Redu is set for Jan. 5/6. I have looked at the situation for the Carrizo Plains Redu on the calendar. There were 5 responses for the first weekend in Jan. That is to go on 5/6 weekend; it's this coming weekend. There was one response for 26/27. I had said I would repost after New Years and give other members an opportunity to choose a later weekend in January. However, that would be unfair to current respondents as the time is short. So, I will be going up to KCL on Fri. as soon as I can get away. If I have to drive at night, though, I'll leave to be able to arrive at dawn on Sat. Jan.5th. Everyone who can make it is still welcome, of course. There is no need for further response for this meetup. Just show up and enjoy. There will be another opportunity this Winter I'm sure when we have more planning time, so don't be dissapointed if you can't make it. Winter is the perfect time to practice skills and learn how to harden up against the Wilderness (capital W out of respect). Adjust your gear for the weather. It will be 50's during the day and high 20's/30's at night at best. Bring plenty of firewood and food. There is water there, but I suggest you bring your own anyway; at least 5 gal./man. It is possible they will drain the pipes to prevent a freeze from braking them. I don't want to chance it. THERE IS NO TARGET PRACTICING, PERIOD!!! Game open are pigs, youties, rabbits, crow, etc. Check DFG page for limits.

If you haven't been in this kind of weather before, I suggest you get at least one pair of long johns, maybe two; silk is lightest and warmest and bring a hoody or sock hat. Several extra pairs of socks if you're a sweater you'll need them. Use about three or four layers of clothes you can take on and off as the day heats up and down; and leather FLEES LINED gloves are best. A pint or two of your favorite spirits is comfie to have pocketed too. No I'm not trying to be your Mother, but if you're a Newbie and you have a pair between your legs I hope you don't mind a little friendly advice. See you on the 5/6.

vega
01-01-2013, 7:01 PM
Me, my son and a friend will see you on the 5th. We'll be hunting rabbits, quail and chukar only. With the current crazy buying frenzy on ammos going on we were not able to buy lead free ammos (223 and 30-06).

bigbossman
01-01-2013, 7:18 PM
With the current crazy buying frenzy on ammos going on we were not able to buy lead free ammos (223 and 30-06).

You need to start reloading - cheaper, and a lot more accurate. :)

I really wish I could make this, but I'm on-call that weekend. I look forward to the trip reports, and maybe I can make it next time!

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2013, 7:18 PM
Me, my son and a friend will see you on the 5th. We'll be hunting rabbits, quail and chukar only. With the current crazy buying frenzy on ammos going on we were not able to buy lead free ammos (223 and 30-06).

Vega,

If you want, I have a few rounds of 30-06 loaded with Barnes TSXes that I could loan you. I'll even loan you a rifle already sighted in for them. Just shoot me a PM and we can work out a time and place to meet.

vega
01-01-2013, 8:07 PM
You need to start reloading - cheaper, and a lot more accurate. :)

I really wish I could make this, but I'm on-call that weekend. I look forward to the trip reports, and maybe I can make it next time!

I reload but dont have time to buy the bullets for this hunt.

Vega,

If you want, I have a few rounds of 30-06 loaded with Barnes TSXes that I could loan you. I'll even loan you a rifle already sighted in for them. Just shoot me a PM and we can work out a time and place to meet.

Thanks Greg, I will pass for now.

virahunter
01-03-2013, 6:30 AM
I wish I can tag along with you guys. Too bad I live up here in San Joaquin valley. Good luck on your trip

Abesnake
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I wish I can tag along with you guys. Too bad I live up here in San Joaquin valley. Good luck on your trip

Virahunter, you're welcome to come it's only a couple hours drive. We picked that spot because it's pretty central for everyone. I have to drive almost that far north to get there. Anybody willing to carpool it down this weekend and help a guy out? :D