View Full Version : Canning and smoke-jerky salmon

12-12-2012, 9:06 AM
I have to say I am really liking this new forum. Its great to not get banned for posting your favorite survival food recipe.

So I tried two ways to preserve fish. I canned about 1lb of salmon and I smoked another 3lbs till dry. The smoked fish was first brined for 24 hours in a combo of salt and sugar. The canning results were awesome. Both types of fish came out really great. I tend to prefer the canned fish, its not as salty, but the smoked salmon is pretty good in small amounts. It does tend to make you really thirsty after you eat it.

A few pics........

12-12-2012, 9:47 AM
that smoked jerky salmon looks soooo good....................:drool5:

12-12-2012, 6:27 PM
look at the red on that fish!

Looks great.

12-12-2012, 7:05 PM
What smoker you using there?

12-12-2012, 7:11 PM
What smoker you using there?

Smokin-tex but this model was made by cookshack.

12-14-2012, 5:12 PM
Did you put anything on the salmon after the brine? And how long have you had it last and still be good?

El Toro
12-15-2012, 8:05 PM
Beautiful looking salmon. Try brining it for only 4 hours. If it's an inch thick on average 4 hours is tops. The thinner parts of the fillet may taste too salty so you can trim up thick and thin pieces and brine them separately. Thinner ones I would try only 2 hours in the brine. That and the smoke will preserve it once it's dried.

El Toro
12-15-2012, 8:15 PM
Did you put anything on the salmon after the brine? And how long have you had it last and still be good?

You really dont need to. Your brine is typically brown sugar, salt and water. I often substitute some soy sauce for less salt. You can add some crushed garlic, or red hot pepper flakes (not too much) to the brine. I've seen some recipes that add fresh dill or crushed juniper berries directly to the brine. I havent yet tried these but it can be fun to experiment.

Always use Alderwood for fish. I buy all my smoking wood dust (yes sawdust) at Big5. But Turners and BBQs Galore have the sawdust too.