PDA

View Full Version : Pistol mag rebuild question

thebronze
12-11-2012, 9:27 PM
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not.

If a person has legally possessed high cap magazines (Glock Gen 3 mags) and uses a rebuild kit to rebuild them to high cap Gen 4 (Glock started manufacturing them in 2010) specs, would that comply with the law? So basically you'd have legal Gen 3 mags and turn them into Gen 4 mags.

I'm thinking yes, but not totally sure, so help me out.

Thanks guys.

Sniper3142
12-11-2012, 9:47 PM
Is there at least one part in common between the Gen 3 mag and the Gen 4?

If there is, then you could logically replace one part at a time until all of the old Gen 3 parts have been replaced by new Gen 4 parts.

It is the same process used on USGI-to-Magpul Pmag magazines. The springs are interchangable so you start there. Dis-assemble the old USGI magazine until it is just a spring. Then install a new Pmag body. Then a new Pmag follower. Then a new Pmag floorplate. Finally, replace the original spring. Eventually you'll have a USGI mag that has had all of its parts replaced/rebuilt with Pmag parts.

thebronze
12-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Sniper.

Anyone else?

vintagearms
12-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, it is legal. It would be wise to destroy the old mag body but not legally required. I have sent some of my old Gen 3 mags in to Glock and they have shipped me back Gen 4 mags in return.

12voltguy
12-12-2012, 3:37 PM
Yes, it is legal. It would be wise to destroy the old mag body but not legally required. I have sent some of my old Gen 3 mags in to Glock and they have shipped me back Gen 4 mags in return.

why?
I could say wise to keep it to prove it was rebuilt...but I won't:)

jonc
12-12-2012, 3:48 PM
why?
I could say wise to keep it to prove it was rebuilt...but I won't:)

X2:eek::eek:

stix213
12-12-2012, 3:50 PM
Is there at least one part in common between the Gen 3 mag and the Gen 4?

If there is, then you could logically replace one part at a time until all of the old Gen 3 parts have been replaced by new Gen 4 parts.

I agree with this ^^^