PDA

View Full Version : C&R AR-15s in the near future?

Moonshine
12-11-2012, 8:56 PM
The first Colt AR-15 sporters started hitting the market in 1964... Meaning in 2014 they will be 50 years old. Does that mean they will become C&R rifles? And will they be eligible to make into C&R SBRs? I think I recall seeing a thread somewhere that C&R SBS were possible but I could be mistaken.

Ron-Solo
12-11-2012, 9:21 PM
Well, a Colt AR-15 is a listed AW under CA law, so I doubt there will any real impact here.

As far as making a non SBR into an SBR that was not originally configured that way, I wouldn't hold my breath since that is an NFA issue. I'm not sure, but logic (I know, logic and gun laws don't mix) would say that it would already have to be an SBR.

Capybara
12-11-2012, 9:40 PM
I have been hunting for C&R SBS and SBRs for about a year. ATF has decided that changing an existing C&R into an SBS or SBR negates it's C&R status so only pre-existing NFA registered SBS and SBRs will be allowed in California but of course, the weapon cannot run afoul of any California AW issue either. Since the Colts do, they would be a no go.

I guess the question would be what other SBR rifles that are NFA registered already that are made before 1963 (soon to be 1964 obviously) that are NOT on the AW Ban list are or will be available? You will the find the list to be so short as to not exist or barely to exist.

This is a good example of the bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo that our illustrious overlords in Sacramento have decided is a good thing, arbitrary rules that our out of step with the rest of the country, combined with other inane Catch 22s that are unique to California.

gunsandrockets
12-11-2012, 9:56 PM
The first Colt AR-15 sporters started hitting the market in 1964... Meaning in 2014 they will be 50 years old. Does that mean they will become C&R rifles? And will they be eligible to make into C&R SBRs? I think I recall seeing a thread somewhere that C&R SBS were possible but I could be mistaken.

Holy smokes, C&R AR-15. Kind of puts things into perspective, like how damned old I am!:oji:

Moonshine
12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah it does kind of put things into perspective doesn't it? When I think C&R I think Mauser K98s and M-1 Garands... But the reality is C&R will soon include many early incarnations of modern firearms and before not too long even early Norinco AKs will be C&R.

It is interesting though that the Roberti Roos and Kastler list bans them because it shows how old those lists are becoming too because soon they will only be C&R bans.