View Full Version : Council approves Gang Awareness Commission

08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Went to the City Council meeting last night and one of the Council members of 17 years pushed pretty hard to get a 'Commission on Gang Awareness' approved.

Not much discussion other than the Mayor saying "Anything that will deal with gang problems is a good thing". Bells went off and flags went up in my head. This Council member already had the commission members selected, typed up and ready to go.

A motion was made, seconded and passed.
This commission is to have recommendations for action to the City Council by January 2008.

Senator Dean Florez was scheduled to be at this meeting but had to cancel due to some sort of budget thing going on Sacramento.

Hillary Baird, a grass roots representitive from the California League of Cities was present and made a presentation of how much she could help the city. I thought this was odd since this city has always participated in the League of Cities. They push for the UUT taxes, gun control and various ways to enter your pocket.

Seemed like heavy guns and or a setup just in case of opposition was put in place.
May just be my suspicious nature of government.

Question I have for you guys is, has anyone ever dealt with a city style Commission on Gang Awareness?

What did they come up with IRT solutions?
How was the gun issue addressed?

Do I need to load up a brief case, wear protective gear and prepare for battle?
Very few people attend the meetings and things get passed readily.
I'm going to see if I can get a list of the folks on the Gang Commission and maybe speak with a few of them.

Maybe I'm being overly suspicious but this seems like the year for across the board attacks everywhere on everything.
I pulled up several items off the internet regarding gang task forces and commissions but they lack a real world application with results documented.

What were your experiences with solutions to gang violence?

Were ordinances passed that were more feel good than effective?

08-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Lemoore, south of Fresno.