PDA

View Full Version : Intra-family transfer

simonov
08-08-2007, 7:28 AM
I hate asking legal questions, since the law isn't that complicated and I can usually just read the statute, but this one always confuses me:

Next time my father visits from out of state, I'd like to give him one of my SKS rifles. Can I do this with no paperwork?

TIA

Paratus et Vigilans
08-08-2007, 7:45 AM
IIRC, parent-child transfers (in either direction) of long guns can be done w/o paperwork in CA, but you might want to consider what may be required of your Dad when he takes his present back to his state of residence . . . does that state require him to register his long gun, and if so, what would he need from you to do it? Odds are that his home state requirements are zero, but still, it's worth thinking about and checking into before he drives off into the sunset with his new SKS! :)

At a minimum, for both of you, I'd suggest that you give him a Bill of Sale for the price of $1 that lists the rifle's serial number and that you sign it so he has some scrap of paper to demonstrate legal ownership of the rifle as an item of personal property, and I further suggest that you keep a copy of it for your records, in the event the rifle is ever lost or stolen and later used in a crime, so you have some evidence of when it left your hands.

Obviously you like the SKS (just watched your You tube video) or you wouldn't keep buying them! So, I'm curious, what about the rifle do you like, and what do you dislike? I don't have any Soviet bloc weapons in my collection yet (but soon to acquire a M-N from Wes at TPF), and am wondering whether I ought to be looking at SKS's too?

Thanks, and I hope your Dad enjoys it! :D

simonov
08-08-2007, 8:00 AM
Thanks, Paratus et Vigilans, you have answered the question. In the state where my parents live, there is no gun registration and no requirement for paperwork for PPTs. I was just wondering about the California and Federal aspects.

This is getting off the subject of "2nd Amend. Politics and Laws," but what I like about the SKS is the value: I just bought three of them for $150 each (plus shipping), and as far as I am concerned the SKS is one of the finest battle rifles (if you can call it that, the jury is still out) ever made. Consider even a Mini-30 retails for something like $600 these days. The SKS is the best value in semi-auto centerfire rifles, by a long shot.

When you are paying so little for a rifle, and it is not a collectible milsurp (I don't consider the Norincos collectible, some might disagree), you have a great platform for customization. With the SKSes I just bought, I am re-stocking them, fixing up the triggers, upgrading the sights and probably painting them.

The SKS shoots very well. I can routinely hit clay pigeons at 150 yards from a bench, something knowledgeable people have assured me is impossible with an SKS. I can easily hit man-sized targets at 300 hards, shooting off-hand. Once restocked, the rifle is lightweight and nimble, with a modest recoil, very good for children or women. The action is simple and reliable, easy to strip and clean. Maybe it's just because the AK action is newer to me, but the SKS seems simpler and cleaner than the AK (what's up with that wire spring thing in the AK? Yuck).

I continue to recommend the SKS as a first-time rifle (after a .22) to noobs, though I suggest people get Norincos rather than Yugos since I hate to see a Yugo restocked or otherwise customized.

The only downside of the SKS is the sights, but you can install aperture sights from Tech Sights or Mojo Sights; and of course it's not the prettiest rifle ever made.

I'll probably be giving my father one of these, if he wants it:

http://www.guntards.net/images/53.jpg

Paratus et Vigilans
08-08-2007, 8:20 AM
Thanks for the info, simonov! I may need to look more closely at the SKS, especially for $150 a pop.

Happy shooting! :D

bwiese
08-08-2007, 9:53 AM
I hate asking legal questions, since the law isn't that complicated and I can usually just read the statute, but this one always confuses me:

Next time my father visits from out of state, I'd like to give him one of my SKS rifles. Can I do this with no paperwork?

Hmm.

Regardless of what the state gun laws are like for your father, just about any transfer of firearms across state lines in subject to Federal control and thus must go thru an FFL.

While what you inquire of is legal *in California* due to CA interfamiliar transfer laws, the fact he's an outta state resident throws a Federal aspect into this. There is no similar Federal interfamilial exemption for FFL-free interstate firearm transfers; the only real 'exemption' I know of - if you wanna call it that - is for probate/inheritance matters.

[If your dad passes on, you could inherit - even in CA - his non-AW guns without FFL intervention, though am unsure of shipment matters. Handguns inherited would have to be reported on CA Firearms Acquisition by Operation of Law form, with $19/gun fee and would effectively be DROSed though without waiting period: I am unsure if you'd need an HSC card for handguns acquired this way, probably so.]

Now, there might be exceptions if SKS involved is a C&R gun and C&R status maintained (unmodified), but I'll have to let a "Cruffler" speak to that.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-08-2007, 8:48 PM
You will have to do the transfer through an FFL in your father's State of residence. You can either ship the SKS to your father's local FFL or take it to his local FFL while you are visiting.

Like Bill says, this is a Federal requirement.

M. Sage
08-08-2007, 9:50 PM
I hate asking legal questions, since the law isn't that complicated and I can usually just read the statute....

It's not that WHAT? :p

Lol, sorry. I just find the gun laws in CA to be VERY complicated.