PDA

View Full Version : Interesting web page about how winning civil rights via the courts works

hvengel
12-10-2012, 2:58 PM
Not directly gun related but it does relate in the sense that it gives an overview of how winning civil rights via the court worked for women's and black rights in the context of the current gay rights movement. The interesting thing is that it talks about how these groups moved very slowly and cautiously and how it took decades to get to the desired result.

This is something that some (many) here do not get. We see tons of posts basically asking "We won Heller and McDonald how come we don't have all of our rights now?" This web page tries to answer that question as it relates to gay rights but I think the same answer applies to gun rights. Enjoy.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/110939/gay-rights-gets-its-brown-v-board-it-could-backfire#

jdmcgee
12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Damn good stuff!

hoffmang
12-13-2012, 6:39 PM
One of the most important points to takeaway from this article. We do not yet know what the name of the case that people will really remember as the last major case in the gun rights struggle will be. Heller will be important, but it will not be the case that this march to liberty is best known for. That may be carry or semiautomatic rifles but that is to be seen and for the history books to decide.

-Gene

hvengel
12-14-2012, 2:55 PM
One of the most important points to takeaway from this article. We do not yet know what the name of the case that people will really remember as the last major case in the gun rights struggle will be. Heller will be important, but it will not be the case that this march to liberty is best known for. That may be carry or semiautomatic rifles but that is to be seen and for the history books to decide.

-Gene

Not only do we not know the name of the case that will stand as our land mark case but we don't know when it will happen. As the article points out things related to racial/black equality had been litigated for over 20 years before Brown was decided. Even after Brown there was still lots of litigation needed to tie up the loose ends. So it was a very long road (more than 4 decades).

I think it is not a stretch to argue that we are a lot farther down the road then the black rights movement was at this point. Part of this is the our rights are specifically enumerated which made it possible to get huge wins like Heller and McDonald at a relatively early stage. Given how (relatively) quickly things have moved ahead for us our "Brown" may not be that far in the future as these things go. Still it will likely be a decade or perhaps two before we have most of these issues settled and it will take another one or two decades to settle the remaining smaller issues.

I also think it is worth while pointing out that Gura and those working with him have paid attention to the black rights and woman's rights litigation histories and have taken those lessons to heart. This is the reason that I posted the link to the article as I wanted to make sure that everyone here understands that this process is a marathon not a sprint and that the strategies being used by our side are sound and based on other successful movements. We need to be prepared for a long hard fight and the fewer mistakes we make along the way the faster we will reach our goals.

In fact, many of our older members here, myself included, will likely not live long enough to see that happen although the younger members here will. I only hope to still be around when our "Brown" happens even if I don't get to see the final result of the process. In any case I am very much heartened to know that the process is well underway and in the hands of the right people.