PDA

View Full Version : NFA stuff purchasing - questions!?!?!

KDOFisch
08-07-2007, 3:07 PM
I grew up in VA. Moving to this fine state for work years ago was a great move- there's a lot of 'industry' (television) work here in LA, and I've made a hell of a career here. Certain circumstances (like the possibility of a new AW ban) have given me some thoughts about how to legally obtain said weapons before it's too late.

Going onto Ohio Ordinance et al, I look and drool at these fun (and pricey) instruments of destruction, even though I don't live in a free state. So I pose this question. Could I legally move back and reestablish residency in VA again for the 6-12 months it takes to get through the red tape to obtain an NFA item? Could I then legally keep said NFA arm in VA, then move back here to Kali, knowing at least that I 'have it' in VA? Is there any law I'm not aware of which prohibits this? A kind of 'gun tourism' law?:D

Sorry I'm sort of a neophyte on these things, but hey, this IS Kalifornia. It's not like there's really much precedent for something like this. I couldn't pick up anything definitive in the :xeno:. Thanks for any advice.

BTW if this act is in any way a violation of BATFE regs I apologize for even bringing up the notion.

SemiAutoSam
08-07-2007, 3:18 PM
Yes as long as the NFA Weapons stay in their state of residence as is listed on the form 4.

You can have more than one residence in multiple states.

I grew up in VA. Moving to this fine state for work years ago was a great move- there's a lot of 'industry' (television) work here in LA, and I've made a hell of a career here. Certain circumstances (like the possibility of a new AW ban) have given me some thoughts about how to legally obtain said weapons before it's too late.

Going onto Ohio Ordinance et al, I look and drool at these fun (and pricey) instruments of destruction, even though I don't live in a free state. So I pose this question. Could I legally move back and reestablish residency in VA again for the 6-12 months it takes to get through the red tape to obtain an NFA item? Could I then legally keep said NFA arm in VA, then move back here to Kali, knowing at least that I 'have it' in VA? Is there any law I'm not aware of which prohibits this? A kind of 'gun tourism' law?:D

Sorry I'm sort of a neophyte on these things, but hey, this IS Kalifornia. It's not like there's really much precedent for something like this. I couldn't pick up anything definitive in the :xeno:. Thanks for any advice.

BTW if this act is in any way a violation of BATFE regs I apologize for even bringing up the notion.

monkey
08-07-2007, 4:25 PM
You want to be very careful doing this. Do not try to shortcut true residency. You could be facing multiple felony violations at both the state and federal level if they do not agree with your "residency."

While there is no specific criteria for "residency," you should be able to prove that you have a physical home, that you pay rent or mortgage there, that you receive bills and other mail at that address, that you do in fact spend a reasonable amount of time there each year, etc.

Vacation homes do not usually qualify for residency unless you are there at least a few months out of the year.

If you do in fact establish residency and acquire NFA stuff, then you can either store the registered part in a safe deposit box at a VA bank or store the weapons in a lock box, vault, etc at a friend's or relative's home as long as only you have access to them, i.e. Only you know the combination/ possess the key, etc. Either way, though not a requirement, you'll want to send a letter the NFA Branch explaining the storage situation.