PDA

View Full Version : Any possible legal issues with carrying a Colt 1911 38 super converted to 10mm?

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
12-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I have a Colt Commander that's been converted from 38 Super to 10mm. There are no caliber markings on the gun except for the barrel (it's an MKIV which at one point had no caliber markings on the slide). Barrel is a Kart which is obviously marked 10mm. Colt never factory manufactured a Commander in 10mm and wondered if this would be a legal problem if I ever had to use it to save my life or others. Any law experts out there that can tell me (I've heard many theories how lawyers can make this an issue, but is it realistically a liability?).

d4v0s
12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
If this is in the same vein as the "dont modify your HD gun with a match trigger and things that make it better at killing"

your totally fine. It has been discussed before, and not one case anywhere cited modifications, caliber, or upgrades in regards to lethal-ness of the gun.

TKM
12-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I'd be more concerned with cracking in the rail above the slide stop.

BillCA
12-10-2012, 2:07 AM
I'd be more concerned with cracking in the rail above the slide stop.

+1 if it's a Commander. The steel-framed Combat Commander would probably hold up better if you're using high-speed loads.

nicki
12-10-2012, 3:15 AM
Depending on which agency issued you a ccw permit, check with them.

It could be something as simple as them marking the caliber of your gun as 38 super&10mm.

The bigger issue is the safety of your gun. Higher pressure rounds mean more were. You definitely want a steel frame, but there is something else I would check into and that is having your gun cyrogenically treated.

Cyrogenics makes metals stronger and more stable, might be ticket if you treat both frame and slide. Hell, might as well hit rest of metal parts too.

Then you will have a gun with a long service life.

Nicki

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
12-10-2012, 9:01 AM
Well, it's a moot point...it's DONE! :) Don Williams at Actionworks in AZ did the project. Several other well known, reputable gunsmiths have done this conversion as well (both Yost and Harrison come to mind) so I'm not worried about that part of it at this point. Just about the issue of carrying one on a ccw.

a1c
12-10-2012, 9:37 AM
I'm pretty sure the serial number is what matters most to the issuing agency.

Quiet
12-11-2012, 6:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the serial number is what matters most to the issuing agency.
What matters is: the manufacturer, serial number and caliber.
Because that's what needs to be listed on your LTC permit per CA laws. [PC 26175(i)]

Penal Code 26175
(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the licensee's name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee's age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be
laminated.